“First vacation that we wanted to stay longer.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580 , Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #7 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Chatham, Canada
“First vacation that we wanted to stay longer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

I could (and likely will) go on at length about the resort, beach, food etc. (by the way...the best resort we've been to yet) but I'll first talk about the things families might be more interested to know...

First of all, to all the people earlier who complained about too many children...you booked at a "FAMILY" resort. Next time try booking a room at "Secrets"....an adults only resort. (It'll give you the same great resort experience, without the children.)

Your kids will have a great time here! They will meet other kids from other parts of the world and learn about different places and cultures. Be sure to catch the "hamster" balls in the pool on Thursday (it's the only day per week that they are there, from 10 am - 4 pm). Each day at 4pm until 5pm (providing the weather is good) your children will have a blast on the "Bungee Trampoline" located down the path to the right of the kids club. Our daughter insisted we take her there every day since she loved it so much.

Children are encouraged to join the fun with the entertainment staff around the pool and are never made to feel that they are not welcome.

The Infinity Pool is heated and was great for those cooler evenings when my daughter (and husband) just weren't ready to call it a day. Also, this was the first resort we've been to that the hot tubs were actually hot (not just "bubbly cool water" pools).

They do have top quality alcohol, just ask for it! I asked the bartender at the lobby bar for his best Tequila, he served me "Don Julio" which by the way retails here in Ontario for up to $129.95 for 750 ml (a 26er in US terms). By the way, very good Tequila! Beer lovers should like the choices too. The mini bar fridge in your room will have 4 Corona's in stock, but you can get Bud and Bud Light too if you prefer. I also noticed other imported brands that I had never seen before if you are in the mood for something new. I recommend the Riviera Maya drink for something delicious and refreshing....SO GOOD!!!

The room service food was amazing (we actually enjoyed it more than the food in the restaurants and buffet, which were good too, not the best we've had but still good). The grilled salmon from the room service menu was the best I've had ANYWHERE. After a full day it was nice to enjoy the option of "eating in" sometimes. We did not find out until our last night there that there is a children's menu, you just have to ask for it. Our daughter likes pasta with cheese sauce (kraft dinner) and we found out it was available the last night there. Unfortunately, we didn't have a chance to eat at all the restaurants, but the ones we did eat at we're quite good (Italian, Mexican and Oceana). We ate lunch daily at the Seaside Grille, and the food and service there was always fantastic. I highly recommend the Mexican beef tortilla! If you grab a quick snack at the Barefoot Grille, be on the lookout for "banditos!" The gulls and black birds are sneaky, and will steal your food in a heartbeat if they are given the opportunity......NO JOKE. Kinda funny really LOL! Some heavy guage fishing string criss crossed between the roofs of the Barefoot Grille and Seaside Grille roofs above the eating area would solve most of that issue and not be noticeable to vacationers either (just a thought in case anyone that works at the hotel customer service ever reads this and wants to pass the suggestion along to the hotel grounds keepers). BTW, if your kids love ice cream, they'll love the Barefoot Grille. They can get all the soft serve ice cream they want!

If anyone is worried about getting sick on vacation, we are! Our last trip to Now Larimar in Punta Cana, my husband got sicker than I've ever seen him on only our second day there. It ruined his trip really, since he didn't truly get over it for weeks afterwards. If you worry about this too, I'd recommend taking Dukoral before any tropical vacation. You need to take it a couple weeks in advance before leaving (which we did this time), and you should have no problems with most causes of travellers diarrhea. That said, we still armed ourselves with the normal Immodium tablets and Pepto. Luckily, we had absolutely no issues at all, so we didn't have to touch any of those. Lucky? Maybe, or it could be that we made smart decisions on the food we chose to eat. My advice to anyone would be - when in doubt, don't eat it. There's lot's of other good food there, why chance it?!

Others also commented on the noise in the rooms during evening hours from the nightly entertainment. It is true, but we were generally still up watching T.V, or out watching the entertainment ourselves, so it really didn't bother us at all. If you have young children trying to sleep however, this could definitely be a problem for you.

The rooms were really really nice. The views pretty well all seem to have some amount of ocean view (some better than others of course). They come standard with a free in room safe which is large enough for a laptop computer. Our iPad fit in there, along with all our wallets, camcorder and other miscellaneous stuff with lots of room to spare. The locks on both the window and patio door however were both broken. They could not be locked at all, so that was a bit of a disappointment. A simple fix would be a bamboo stick in the bottom track, but I guess maybe they haven't thought of that? I say bamboo because I doubt they have any hockey sticks laying around LOL! We had a 4th floor room, so unless Spider-Man was wanting to break in, we were pretty safe I'd say. They did call the second day after our arrival to make sure everything was o.k (which was nice). We mentioned the locks were broken, no one ever came to fix them. If we were on the bottom floor, this would have been a major concern, but we weren't, so we let it slide.

If you want to take a good walk down the beach, to the right is Puerto Morales. It's a 2 1/2 km walk each way, but a nice one. Watch out for the nude resort about half way there if you are walking with your kids. Be especially careful not to be taking any pictures or videos on that stretch, or the NRC's (naked resort cops) will literally chase you down LOL! One of our friends we were walking with happened to snap a pic (an innocent one!) while walking across the beach that stretches in front of that resort and two NRC's ran after her demanding to see her camera to make sure no inappropriate photos were taken. I wish I had been able to video tape that, it was hilarious!! Anyways, just a heads up on that one LOL.

At the end of a vacation, normally our family has had a good week but we are ready to come home. This has been the first time we have wanted to stay longer. It takes a couple of days to really get the hang of a new resort, even one the size of this, so if we had to do it again, a 10 day vacation would have been ideal since we enjoyed ourselves here so much. We always go to a different place each time we go on vacation, but in this case, we would definitely come back here again if the deal was right.

All said and done, if you have booked a vacation at this resort and are reading this, hopefully you'll have some good insight as to what you can expect. You've made an excellent choice, and won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: We upgraded to an ocean view room. Every morning we would open the curtains and door to enjoy the vi...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

2,695 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
  • Polish first
Ottawa, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We spent a week at this resort in early February 2013. As many others have commented, the staff is very friendly, grounds well maintained, beach is very nice (although seaweed is constantly washed ashore but cleaned up frequently), and the beach stretches for kms in each direction, perfect for a nice long walk! Some unexpected pluses: no wristbands used on the resort, no towel cards needed (tons of towels available, just take as many as needed), and unlimited a la carte dining with no reservations needed except for the Japanese Hibachi. We were always able to get seated without a wait! We selected the preferred club oceanview room and were very happy with the view and the room. Noise from the hallways is a bit of a problem so choose a remote location for your room if possible. There were alot of children at the resort, but for the most part they were well behaved and not a big problem for us. Overall we were very happy with the Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort and Spa and would consider a return visit! One final tip: if you do the Xplor day trip with zip-lining, cave swim, cave rafting and amphibious vehicle drive make sure to start your day with the zip-lining as it gets busy quickly. Also wear your bathing suit for all the activities...even the zip lines will take you into water and have you soaked!

Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

They go out of their way to make you feel taken care of. All employees are friendly and are always saying hi. Most speak english well enough. The grounds are immaculate. They groom the sand every morning. Excellent restaurants on property. Very nice pools. Nightly entertainment that was very good. Very nice not to have to tip at all since included - although we did tip a few people like houskeeping, bellhop, room service. Poolside waiters that are frequently asking if they can get you another drink. We probably did not get our moneys worth as we don't drink alcohol, but still had plenty of "virgen drinks" that were delicious. Even with all you can drink, we only saw one person that had "too much". Since not actually in Cancun, it was more of a couples and more mature adults. Few families with kids but great kid activity center that had different activities daily if you have kids. Definitely not the "spring break scene" which we were happy to avoid. If you want that, stay up in Cancun itself.

Beware of the resort cash they offer when you book. We didn't end up even using it as you could only use a certain percentage of it at once, and they only allow you to use it at a few areas like the spa - which was a bit deceiving and the only negative of the trip for us. Also, they will try to seduce you with$125 "cash" to listen to a 90 minute presentation on their hotel vacation deal. They wanted 27k for joining but we said no and got up to leave and then they offered a better deal last second for $8200 that included 14 nights "free" for 2 (which nearly pays for itself anyway) in addition to a bunch of other hotel discounts that actually sounded good, so for the first time ever in my life, we bought it. We shall see if I live to regret that decision or not.

Since we bought into the dreams/secrets hotel club, we will try Jamaica and the Dominican the next few times. But would not hesitate to return to Dreams Riviera.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth upgrade. Rooms with private pool are not that great. Not heated and if you are...
Bedford, NH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013 via mobile

A beautiful hotel, meticulously maintained and cleaned. Staff is friendly, helpful, always available and very hardworking. Yes, there are children everywhere, but if you do the tiniest bit of research, you will find that this is a family-oriented resort. If you don't like children, please stay somewhere else. If you do, this is the resort for you. Although there were many, many children, I rarely, if ever, saw bad behavior. I saw happy families with well-behaved children all enjoying themselves. We met some couples without children also having a good time...they probably did their research, so were not surprised by the many families and not bothered by children. A previous reviewer stated that children are not supposed to be allowed in the infinity pool, but this is not true. The swim-up bar even caters to them, mixing fun, non-alcoholic drinks for them all day. The only places in the resort I found that children were not allowed was in the two public hot tubs and in the French restaurant, and as far as I could tell, these rules are respected. My daughter has a tree nut allergy and we were taken care of from the moment we arrived, when the head chef was called to the preferred lounge to talk to us. He assured us that all food, even pastries, are made on-site and that nothing in any restaurant contained the nuts she is allergic to. My child was thrilled to be able to eat anything she wanted without fear. The head chef was also always around, in and out of all of the restaurants, visible daily, and always available for questions. I couldn't be happier. The food itself is probably what you would expect at an all-inclusive, although many reviews tout it as better than others. This was my first experience at an all-inclusive. I was always able to find something I wanted...choices are many and food is plentiful. Portions are small, but you wouldn't want them any larger, considering the sheer amount of food always available. I had some entrees that left a little to be desired, but was mostly very pleased. Children can eat off the regular menu, or will be offered traditional "kid" selections like pizza or chicken tenders. My children always ate off the regular menu and were very happy. My only, trivial, complaint is that the rooms are rather dim...there are plenty of lights, but none of them seem to cast light in exactly the right places, especially for applying makeup at night. (and even during the day...I always had to carry the makeup mirror to the balcony to be sure I didn't look like a clown!) We were on the fifth floor, in the building furthest from the spa. Although the hallways are echo-y and loud, as other reviewers have noted, we were never disturbed. Perhaps it was our location..I don't know...but we heard very few people in the hallways. As so many people are in and out all day, wet from the pool, and sandy from the beach, they could not possibly carpet the hallways, nor would you want them to. The hard floors allow them to keep the hallways clean all day. I am sure there are areas of the hotel that could be louder. If you are unhappy with your room, ask for another. Our first room had no WiFi signal and the jacuzzis didn't work correctly. When we called to ask if we could move, we were immediately accomodated. We were able to check out the other rooms that were available, then were sent help to move our luggage, no questions asked, service with a smile. As a comparison, if you've been to Disney World, you will find a similar level of friendliness, cleanliness, and attention to detail here. Book now...you will have a wonderful time!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and i visited the resort recently and overall we were very pleased. The restaurant food and alcohol selection is better than many all inclusives however I wouldn't consider absolute vodka 'top shelf'. The beach is very nice (minus the constant seaweed) and carlos works very hard to make sure you are happy. The beach huts fill up very quickly so I suggest you get yours early. There are hotel personnel on the beach all day to make sure you are not bothered by the locals selling their treasures. We had a king room with a plunge pool and was very happy with the layout and decor. The staff is very, very helpful and work hard to make sure you are happy.

The only reason I didn't give this resort five stars was due to:

- the resort allows children. They are all over the place...in every pool, every bar and every restaurant. We would have had a better trip if there wasn't a family next to us with three screaming children at all hours of the day and night. Maybe the resort should designate one building for families and one for those without children.

-some of the nightly entertainment is questionable. We thought the band showcased on Friday evening was a KISS cover band until a fire performer came on stage with a S&M mask on. Not appropriate for a resort of this caliber.

-the dress code for the restaurants seems a little sexist. Women are in the cafe for breakfast with see thru beach cover ups and bathing suits yet a man has to put on a sleeved shirt. A man must put on long pants for dinner yet a woman can walk in with a skin tight, plastic dress with her children in jeans and that's ok. Management should take a look at the dress code and make some alterations to their rule.

We were told by The staff that the resort wasn't filled to capacity while we were there. The restaurantsseemed a little small for the amount of rooms In the resort and while many nights we had to wait for a table, the wait wasn't longer than 30 minutes. I don't think I would go to this resort during high season- a chair at the pool or eating before 10 might pose a problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Cranston, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

My wife and I just spent a week at this resort, and we both agreed that this was the best all-inclusive resort that we have ever been to. This resort is very well run, organized, and spotless. The food was fantastic with lots of options. The drinks are top shelf. The staff bend over backwards for you and make you feel like royalty. Everyone from the Rene at the front desk, to Ramundo & Barneby at the World Cafe, to chef Havier, to Eric at the bar by the beach, to Manuel with the entertainment team (I could go on and on), all make this resort what it is.
The only complaint is that there were so many young children. Not that I have something against kids, but there were just too many and a bit disruptive at the restaurants and pools. Furthermore, children are not supposed to be allowed into the infinity pool which has a swim up bar, yet it is not enforced at all.

Denver CO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

Just returned from Dreams Riciera Cancun with our 10 nonth old son Oliver.
We used Apple vacations who provided a direct shutltle from the airport, we were at the resort in 20 minutes. We upgraded to the preferred lounge which allowed us a VIP check in with champagene in their lounge, nice touch with yummy appetizers on hand.
The room was fantastic lots of room, we were able to put Olivers crib in the hallway so he had a quiet sleeping area, the balcony was spacious and the jacuzzi spacious. We were up early at 5am and were able to order room service and watch the sunrise.
Beautiful well maintained beach, great pools and lots of seating options, we found a cabana area where we set up camp, get you towels out early (6am) to reserve.
The restaurants were great, enjoyed the Mexican, Italian and Japanese (you have to get in line at 4.45pm to reserve Hibachi table) The World cafe was great for breakfast. The bar in the main lobby had the best drinks.
Staff were helpful and friendly, always willing to help.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!