Travelled between Jan 26th to Feb 2, 2013. I traveled with my husband and 3 year old son. We travel at least once a year and for the last 3 years our focus has been 5 star quality and family oriented resorts. Lastly finding a resort with good food selections/choices. We are all very picky eaters especially our son! We chose Dreams Riviera because we had vacationed in the Cancun area before. Mexico seems to be the only place we traveled as a couple where the hotels were truly 5 star and the food was good. Please note it was our 5th time to Cancun/ Riviera area but the first time as a family. We typically stick to Riu hotels because we know what to expect but our son 3 years old pays close to full pop with this chain. At the Dreams hotel our son only paid flight and taxes. Also 20 min from airport.
The weather In Cancun is never guaranteed between November to the end of March. We had 6 out of 7 days good weather at 80*F. The sea is also rough during this time but on days it is swim able with good scuba diving near hotel.
Typically within the first hour we find something that bothers us but it was day seven and the only thing we could find irritating was getting the Bacon at breakfast. The omelet chef keeps it hidden and you have to wait in the omelet line to get the Bacon.
-4 swimming pools: one shallow heated pool for children, infinity pool with bar and great view, activity pool. Ping pong table pool. All great!
-2 beautiful hot tube that fit at least 20 people.
-Enough lounge chairs for everyone around the pool and beach.
- 15-20 bed cabanas that are great for afternoon naps.
-Spa and fitness centre state of the art and beautiful.
-There are bars everywhere and staff to wait on you if you wish.
-Beach is well maintained and guarded. Life guard and security on the beach monitoring guests. No peddlers or vendors pestering you. Showers at beach always had warm water never cold.
Great facility for beach wedding as there were 2 to 3 wedding daily. The weddings did not impede with other guests vacationing.
- Explorer Kids had its own large open space outdoors and indoors for ages 3-12. We had no intentions of taking our son but he begged to go. They had all types of activities planned from 9 am to 10 pm (I.e., face painting, cooking class, water polo, soccer...etc). The ladies are all great! You get pager incase your child does not want to stay or has an issue.
- The lobby area is spectacular and it has great views of the jungle. Note separate building from guest rooms.
- The resort is not huge and all facilities are easily accessible form all building (not a lot of walking necessary).
-Preferred club is worth the extra money. We got there at 10 am and we expected they would have us wait till mid afternoon for a room but they gave us the room as soon as we arrived. We were going to upgrade to room with plung pool but we really liked our room. During the whole week we never saw anyone use their plung pools. Stayed in room 2249 with view of ocean, pool and lovely gardens. Bathroom and closet exceptional. Other things that are included: late check out, upgraded bar, Internet, computers with printer,$250 coupons to use on specialty wine, spa, beach romantic dinner..etc
- Food was great! Really even our son liked the food especially the pizza, pasta and breakfast. Lots of seafood and meat choices. But most importantly all restaurants provide child menus of pasta, chicken strips, fries and burgers ( chicken strips amazing). There is something for everyone.
No reservations needed except for habitat chi tables at Asian and French restaurant.
Barefoot grill was great with seafood pella, pizza, hand maid burgers, 2 salads and a specialty BBQ meat or fish. Asian restaurant was great as well as the Italian. I can go on and on I just want you to know the food is really good. Soft ice cream served daily starting at 11am. Drinks were the best we have had at any resort. Watermelon mohito is the best!
- Coffee shop is great! We always crave coffee when on vacation and this time we were able to get our fix whenever we wanted with fresh deserts all day long.
-safety is this resorts #1 priority as all situations were approached like they were preventable ( I.e., child stubbed toe in pool, got first aid, report filled out by parent, supervisors/inspectors within 10 min of situation, maintenance person going underwater to inspect tiles, next morning as sun came up tiles in pool being replaced)
- Grounds well maintained. I would make mental notes of things like chipped paint and the next day i would see someone fixing it. They read my mind each day. The salt air and guest in the resort can take its toll on a resort but this resort is on top of it all.
- Entertainment was amazing as the resort hired outside acts for evening entertainment. Loved the hypnotist, drum and fire show, rock circus, mind readers mentalist...etc.
Great family resort with great facilities service and food! Will definitely will go back to this resort as it was unparalleled to the Riu chain we regularly go to.
Happy family travelers.
Preferred club ocean view. Had the view of the ocean, pool and were close to everything.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.