“A Terrific Resort for Family!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Boston, Massachusetts
“A Terrific Resort for Family!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My wife and I just stayed here for 6 nights and had a great time. It was our second time here and we loved it. The staff is incredible at making you feel welcome. The resort and the rooms are in terrific condition and well kept. Very good food at the restaurants...our favorites were Bordeaux, El Patio and Seaside. The beach was raked every day. However, there are fish in the water that like to nibble on you...very annoying. The resort has a TON of weddings and they tend to take over the resort late afternoons and evenings. Takes away from the entertainment value for the rest of us. Top shelf liquor everywhere...if you don't see it, just ask for it. Can walk to Puerto Morelos...do it! Our room was 1404 and all I can say is...OMG! What a view. This resort is truly more of a family resort as there are kids everywhere. If you are an adult couple it may not be for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (831)
  • Polish first
Canada!!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Having just completed a 14 day stay at DRC, I would highly recommend this resort to everyone, but especially families. We are seasoned Mexico travelers and have tried out some bare bones, to ultra luxurious resorts. This resort would rank very highly in our comparative reviews.

The kids at this resort are abundant, but that is to be expected of a resort that caters so completely to families. From the staff at the buffet making balloon toys for the kids, to the kids pool which was full, even on overcast or cloudy days, to the warmth of the infinity pool and seeing kids in there as early as 8 am with their parents or grandparents. Be fair folks, don't remove points from this resort because of all the children, as family is their focus!

I would say I would prefer an adult only resort more for myself, except that there were so many elements that we enjoyed at this resort that we would not hesitate returning.

First the staff, which go above and beyond to make your stay wonderful. Magdalena at the World Cafe, morning after morning, greeted us with a big smile and additional Spanish lessons. She seemed to personify the beat of the restaurant and her enthusiastic and friendly approach continued through the meal event with other staff.

Of special mention for friendliness are Javier, David and Manuel, pool waiters that were not only friendly and helpful, but went out of the way to create new and inventive drinks. All were really wonderful, but they truly stood out for us.

The food was incredible! Buffet food was always interesting and well prepared, with breakfasts being exceptional. We dined at all the restaurants while there, and definitely felt that evening meals were very well done at Portofino, SeaSide Grill (Chateaubriand for two was amazing), and El Patio for my most favorite surroundings. Oceana, Bordeaux and Himitsu were also very good, but the top three were my favorite.

The life guard presence at this resort was remarkable. They watched everything from the pools, the hot tubs and the beach, often numerous in number, but they did a great job of being connected to what was going on in their environment. Initially I thought they were being a little over protective with the white jelly fish flag out daily, along with the yellow/red/green flag. However, just past the markers to our resort, tons of jelly fish were washing up on the beach. Nice to know they are in touch like this.

The beach is incredible! Yes, it does get seaweed, but with the reef just outside of the beach it is to be expected. What was not expected is the tractor that begins first thing in the morning, clearing and raking the beach, to multiple visits per day to maintain a clean beach. The sand is as soft and beautiful as any I have seen, and they do a great job to look after the beach.

Big plus, the vendors are few and far between and continue moving as they may hold up some wares they have for sale.

Cleanliness, helpfulness, and friendliness top this resort off.

The only negative, and again they will attempt to assist with this issue, is that the wifi is not plentiful. In fact, if you are attempting to keep up at work, you may want to rethink that planning. The first week our code provided us with decent enough (on again/off again) access, but it took a serious dive on the second week and we spent so much time trouble shooting and attempting to find support that it became old. With the rates charged, there is no reason why there is not top notch wifi access at this resort.

Best part about this resort is the CoCo Cafe! Every day, fresh Americano coffee, or any other type of coffee, hot or cold that you could want. The ladies in there are fantastic and deserve every tip that unfortunately, is not left for them. Please don't forget the tips folks!

In the end, I believe this is a very good resort that I highly recommend and would look forward to returning to in the future.

Toronto, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We had a great trip! The resort is beautiful, new and clean. Food is very good. Fish tacos and calamari for lunch was the best we've ever had. Got pretty used to having mimosa's for breakfast everyday - it was hard to come home and back to reality!

We booked a plunge-pool room and we're so glad we did. It was our sanctuary. I got up early to take pictures of the sunrise at 6:30am and people were already saving lounge chairs that early - leaving their towels, then going back to bed or to breakfast ... that shouldn't be allowed. Officially it's not, but I saw many people doing it. It's pretty selfish. Why not pick a chair when you're ready to USE it?

We used our plunge-pool everyday. We were lucky that we got the sun ALL DAY on our side of the building - the other side is in the shade all day, so those plunge-pools weren't used. The swim-up bar is heated - haven't seen that before. Just wish part of the resort was adult-only. Strange to have kids in a swim-up bar pool.

The resort is very family friendly - there are lots of kids...even in January. Also lots of wedding parties. It was noisy at night with people coming home at 1 or 2am screaming through the hallways. The carts the staff use are also very loud. Take ear plugs.

The rooms are great - very new and clean. The bed is comfy - not as comfy as our bed at home, but comfy enough to get to sleep in. We asked for feather pillows ... I think we got all stems! ha ha. We got enough sleep.

Puerto Morelos is just 2 kms away, or a 25 minute stroll along the beach. We walked there a few times - it's a cute little town.

The swing bar on the beach is nice and the bartenders there are funny and welcoming, Alberto and Eric. We enjoyed them. Some of the staff didn't seem too happy. We went to the Sensatori Azul last year and the staff there were excellent. I'm not sure what the difference is, but it was noticeable.

The buffet for dinner is a little on the small side. Everything tasted great - we just wished for a little more. For instance they didn't have bacon every morning for breakfast and they didn't have mashed potatoes every night - not sure why. We didn't have a bad meal here though - everything was excellent. Popcorn for the evening entertainment was the best I've ever tasted. I wish I knew the secret. It would be great if we had popcorn like that here!

The lobby is great - very inviting lobby bar for the evening. They always have champagne chilling and cookies. I noticed the sweets are more sweet than in the past.

Book a plunge-pool room - it's worth the extra $! All in all we had a great trip and have been recommending this resort to everyone.

Room Tip: book a plunge-pool room on the south side to get the sun all day.
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

great service from the start of our ten day stay to the end-rooms were super clean-we had a ocean view room - lots of choices for food at 6 restaurants without having to make reservations-loved the special coffee bar-we had fun taking in some of the activities and Roberto and Rosy and |Andrea from the entertainment team made it all so much fun and made every one most welcome to participate. Language was not a problem as most of the employees spoke some or very good english.
We would stay at this resort again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Spent a wk at dreams and loved everything about it. We went with our family and the kids did not want to come home. I can't find anything wrong to say about this place. My kids loved the kids club and all the activities they offered. I came home with so many craft and gifts from the club. Vanessa, Johanna, Alin, Adela, and all the girls were fantastic. My daughter loved them. They had the kids do a fashion show and a mini disco as the pre show of the night. I felt very safe leaving my kids there. All the doors are locked and no parents are allowed in except at 9:00am and the pager system works awesome. The food was good at all the restaurants and buffet. I liked that they had sit down restaurants at the pool for lunch and not only buffet style food. You could stay at this resorts for weeks before eating the same thing twice. The restaurants were all well decorated and fun. We had the most fun at the Mexican restaurant with Alfredo), super fun guy and great with the kids. The entertainment at the Mexican was also amazing. We sat outside at the Japanese restaurant and the table was great. You sat on cushions on the ground. Very lovely and quiet....the kids were at the kids club when we went. Another great waiter at the Japanese. The coco cafe was fun for a mid afternoon frozen coffee and a sweet treat. The heated pools were a nice touch. The bathrooms were always clean and very fancy. The kids loved the sinks in the lobby bathroom. The rooms were very nice. We had a deluxe garden view which was facing the ocean. It seemed as though most rooms had a ocean view or partial view anyway ( if you were on the second floor or higher). The plunge pools never seemed to be used by people. I never saw anybody in them. Water felt cold. Glad I didn't pay for the plunge pool. The beach was nice. Went snorkelling out front and saw a few colourful fish. My husband found a beautiful star fish and a large shell with a living fish inside and crabs which the kids loved. The beach bar was the best. The service was great. We befriended Alberto ( with his secret special drink) and Pablo. Very friendly and had a great conversation with them one afternoon. If you see Alberto ask him for his special drink. Best drink ever but very strong. Yummy!! Alecia was the waitress around the pool an worked so hard. She was amazing. Always asking if you needed drinks or water. All in all, this was a fabulous resort. Remember you're on holiday so relax and don't sweat the small stuff.

Stayed January 2013
Yukon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I travelled to Dreams Riviera Cancun (DRC) from Jan 21 - Jan 28, 2013. We are in our late 20's and vacation approximately once a year. We previously stayed at Dreams Tulum 2 years prior and did lots of research on Tripadvisor before booking this vacation. We decided to stay with Dreams because we were happy with our experience at Dreams Tulum and wanted to stay in the Mayan Riviera.

Airport/Arrival: We arrived to Cancun at approx. 3pm and travelled by shuttle to the resort. The trip to the resort was only approx. 20 min as opposed to our previous 2 hour trip to Dreams Tulum. The only complaint is that the road off the highway en route to the resort is terrible and should be repaired. When we arrived our bags were retrieved and we were escorted to the lobby desk to check-in. There was no wait and we received a glass of champagne immediately after sitting down. I had debated whether to upgrade to a Preferred Club room, but could not justify the $50/night they stated it would cost to upgrade. Following a quick 5-10 min check-in we were taken to our room.

Room: We reserved an ocean view room. Approx one week prior to arriving I had emailed DRC with certain room requests, however, I did not receive a reply and none of my requests were provided. We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor, facing nice tropical vegetation and of course, the ocean. The view was the furthest from the ocean you could receive at the resort, but it was still very nice. The inside of the room was fantastic. Very modern, enough room for 2 people, large shower, separate bathroom, jacuzzi. The only complaint we had about the room was that the water temperature was either extremely hot or extremely cold, there was no median. We lived with it throughout our stay and voiced our complaint to the front desk upon check-out. Also, the sound-proofing is not great. This is especially evident at night if you happen to be in your room for an evening show or while the band is playing in the lobby. I cannot begin to explain the noise level that is constant until approx. 11pm.

Hotel: The hotel is stunning, and very well maintained. DRC does a great job of maintaining the vegetation/flowers and keeping all areas of the resort clean. The lobby area is a beautiful design and nice to hang out with a drink at all hours of the day. There were lots of weddings that happened during our stay. On one day there were 3 weddings, all at different areas close to the beach! The weddings didn't bother me as much as some of the guests that accompanied the wedding who were loud and obnoxious. If you do not have a Preferred Club room you have to pay for internet usage. The rate is $10/hour but must be used at one time! I agree with other reviews that this rate is ridiculous. Luckily, my wife complained and received several free sessions.

Food: All of the food was great and some of the food was amazing. There have been previous reviews about people having to wait over an hour to get a table, however this was never the case for us and never witnessed anyone else waiting. We usually went for dinner between 6:30-7:30. Our favourite experience was at the Japanese restaurant. There is a hibachi table where they make your food in front of you and perform tricks while doing it. The food was fantastic and so was the performance. Unfortunately, you do have to make a reservation for the hibachi table. They started taking reservations at 5:00pm and there was usually a long line at 4:30pm most nights. We ate at all the other restaurants and we never had to send the food back or had a complaint about a meal. My wife did get a stomach sickness near the end of the trip. I do not know where she received the "bug"...it could have been from food eaten at an excursion we did, from the many drinks we had, or the food at the resort. It was unfortunate however, didn't completely ruin our vacation. We only tipped waiters and bartenders when we received great service or were served by the same person frequently. You are not required to tip but it is nice to provide it when you receive great service.

Drinks: Not much to write about this topic. They have premium liquor, all you have to do is ask for it. They will literally make whatever kind of drink you want and alter any drink to suit your taste. If you want more liquor, just ask. If you run out of drinks in your room, call room service and they will bring more up to you.

Beach: There is an area of the ocean directly in front of the hotel that does not have seaweed and is maintained daily, however, past this point you will encounter a straw-like type of seaweed. It's the ocean so I can't be too upset. The sand on the beach is soft and white. There is security which I did witness on multiple occasions stopping outsiders from coming onto the resort. The palapas (straw huts) were popular but we were always able to find one that was available between 10am-12pm.

Pros:
- Beautiful, clean, smaller-sized hotel
- Excellent food
- Quiet, relaxing beach
- Multiple pools
- Nice, modern rooms

Cons:
- water temperature in room (may only be specific to the room I was staying in)
- noise level echoing from lobby into room at night
- internet price

We had a great time and are very happy with our trip to DRC. We would stay at DRC again but are interested in an adults only resort so will probably opt for a Secrets next time. We would definitely recommend this resort to others.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest away from the lobby are quieter at night because you are further away from the evenin...
Maple Ridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just returned form a 1 week stay at the Dreams Riviera Cancun. It was wonderful relaxing and besides the horrible weather the 1st day it was fabulous.The rooms were very clean ,had a premium deluxe with plunge pool and I would highly recommend this room catagory.The food was good,lots to choose from and no reservations required ,except for the Japanese if you would like to have a habatchi table and I would recommend it.I would like to say that there were alot of children at this resort so if that is not your thing you might want to reconsider where you stay.Entertainment was good not in a stuffy theatre usually done outside the entrance to the lobby with a bar and popcorn stand every night very fun.Wait staff was very good always trying to please and make drinks of any kind that was great.If you like scuba diving this a great resort close to an awesome dive operation WET SET diving my husband highly recommends.Beach was very nice and lots and lots of beach chairs never a problem getting one.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!