“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Spent a wk at dreams and loved everything about it. We went with our family and the kids did not want to come home. I can't find anything wrong to say about this place. My kids loved the kids club and all the activities they offered. I came home with so many craft and gifts from the club. Vanessa, Johanna, Alin, Adela, and all the girls were fantastic. My daughter loved them. They had the kids do a fashion show and a mini disco as the pre show of the night. I felt very safe leaving my kids there. All the doors are locked and no parents are allowed in except at 9:00am and the pager system works awesome. The food was good at all the restaurants and buffet. I liked that they had sit down restaurants at the pool for lunch and not only buffet style food. You could stay at this resorts for weeks before eating the same thing twice. The restaurants were all well decorated and fun. We had the most fun at the Mexican restaurant with Alfredo), super fun guy and great with the kids. The entertainment at the Mexican was also amazing. We sat outside at the Japanese restaurant and the table was great. You sat on cushions on the ground. Very lovely and quiet....the kids were at the kids club when we went. Another great waiter at the Japanese. The coco cafe was fun for a mid afternoon frozen coffee and a sweet treat. The heated pools were a nice touch. The bathrooms were always clean and very fancy. The kids loved the sinks in the lobby bathroom. The rooms were very nice. We had a deluxe garden view which was facing the ocean. It seemed as though most rooms had a ocean view or partial view anyway ( if you were on the second floor or higher). The plunge pools never seemed to be used by people. I never saw anybody in them. Water felt cold. Glad I didn't pay for the plunge pool. The beach was nice. Went snorkelling out front and saw a few colourful fish. My husband found a beautiful star fish and a large shell with a living fish inside and crabs which the kids loved. The beach bar was the best. The service was great. We befriended Alberto ( with his secret special drink) and Pablo. Very friendly and had a great conversation with them one afternoon. If you see Alberto ask him for his special drink. Best drink ever but very strong. Yummy!! Alecia was the waitress around the pool an worked so hard. She was amazing. Always asking if you needed drinks or water. All in all, this was a fabulous resort. Remember you're on holiday so relax and don't sweat the small stuff.

Stayed January 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (895)
  • Polish first
Yukon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I travelled to Dreams Riviera Cancun (DRC) from Jan 21 - Jan 28, 2013. We are in our late 20's and vacation approximately once a year. We previously stayed at Dreams Tulum 2 years prior and did lots of research on Tripadvisor before booking this vacation. We decided to stay with Dreams because we were happy with our experience at Dreams Tulum and wanted to stay in the Mayan Riviera.

Airport/Arrival: We arrived to Cancun at approx. 3pm and travelled by shuttle to the resort. The trip to the resort was only approx. 20 min as opposed to our previous 2 hour trip to Dreams Tulum. The only complaint is that the road off the highway en route to the resort is terrible and should be repaired. When we arrived our bags were retrieved and we were escorted to the lobby desk to check-in. There was no wait and we received a glass of champagne immediately after sitting down. I had debated whether to upgrade to a Preferred Club room, but could not justify the $50/night they stated it would cost to upgrade. Following a quick 5-10 min check-in we were taken to our room.

Room: We reserved an ocean view room. Approx one week prior to arriving I had emailed DRC with certain room requests, however, I did not receive a reply and none of my requests were provided. We had an ocean view room on the 4th floor, facing nice tropical vegetation and of course, the ocean. The view was the furthest from the ocean you could receive at the resort, but it was still very nice. The inside of the room was fantastic. Very modern, enough room for 2 people, large shower, separate bathroom, jacuzzi. The only complaint we had about the room was that the water temperature was either extremely hot or extremely cold, there was no median. We lived with it throughout our stay and voiced our complaint to the front desk upon check-out. Also, the sound-proofing is not great. This is especially evident at night if you happen to be in your room for an evening show or while the band is playing in the lobby. I cannot begin to explain the noise level that is constant until approx. 11pm.

Hotel: The hotel is stunning, and very well maintained. DRC does a great job of maintaining the vegetation/flowers and keeping all areas of the resort clean. The lobby area is a beautiful design and nice to hang out with a drink at all hours of the day. There were lots of weddings that happened during our stay. On one day there were 3 weddings, all at different areas close to the beach! The weddings didn't bother me as much as some of the guests that accompanied the wedding who were loud and obnoxious. If you do not have a Preferred Club room you have to pay for internet usage. The rate is $10/hour but must be used at one time! I agree with other reviews that this rate is ridiculous. Luckily, my wife complained and received several free sessions.

Food: All of the food was great and some of the food was amazing. There have been previous reviews about people having to wait over an hour to get a table, however this was never the case for us and never witnessed anyone else waiting. We usually went for dinner between 6:30-7:30. Our favourite experience was at the Japanese restaurant. There is a hibachi table where they make your food in front of you and perform tricks while doing it. The food was fantastic and so was the performance. Unfortunately, you do have to make a reservation for the hibachi table. They started taking reservations at 5:00pm and there was usually a long line at 4:30pm most nights. We ate at all the other restaurants and we never had to send the food back or had a complaint about a meal. My wife did get a stomach sickness near the end of the trip. I do not know where she received the "bug"...it could have been from food eaten at an excursion we did, from the many drinks we had, or the food at the resort. It was unfortunate however, didn't completely ruin our vacation. We only tipped waiters and bartenders when we received great service or were served by the same person frequently. You are not required to tip but it is nice to provide it when you receive great service.

Drinks: Not much to write about this topic. They have premium liquor, all you have to do is ask for it. They will literally make whatever kind of drink you want and alter any drink to suit your taste. If you want more liquor, just ask. If you run out of drinks in your room, call room service and they will bring more up to you.

Beach: There is an area of the ocean directly in front of the hotel that does not have seaweed and is maintained daily, however, past this point you will encounter a straw-like type of seaweed. It's the ocean so I can't be too upset. The sand on the beach is soft and white. There is security which I did witness on multiple occasions stopping outsiders from coming onto the resort. The palapas (straw huts) were popular but we were always able to find one that was available between 10am-12pm.

Pros:
- Beautiful, clean, smaller-sized hotel
- Excellent food
- Quiet, relaxing beach
- Multiple pools
- Nice, modern rooms

Cons:
- water temperature in room (may only be specific to the room I was staying in)
- noise level echoing from lobby into room at night
- internet price

We had a great time and are very happy with our trip to DRC. We would stay at DRC again but are interested in an adults only resort so will probably opt for a Secrets next time. We would definitely recommend this resort to others.

Room Tip: Rooms furthest away from the lobby are quieter at night because you are further away from the evenin...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Maple Ridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Just returned form a 1 week stay at the Dreams Riviera Cancun. It was wonderful relaxing and besides the horrible weather the 1st day it was fabulous.The rooms were very clean ,had a premium deluxe with plunge pool and I would highly recommend this room catagory.The food was good,lots to choose from and no reservations required ,except for the Japanese if you would like to have a habatchi table and I would recommend it.I would like to say that there were alot of children at this resort so if that is not your thing you might want to reconsider where you stay.Entertainment was good not in a stuffy theatre usually done outside the entrance to the lobby with a bar and popcorn stand every night very fun.Wait staff was very good always trying to please and make drinks of any kind that was great.If you like scuba diving this a great resort close to an awesome dive operation WET SET diving my husband highly recommends.Beach was very nice and lots and lots of beach chairs never a problem getting one.

Yellowknife, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

Just came back from a two week trip at the Dreams Riviera Cancun! What a wonderful holiday! Check in was without any problems and we were brought to the room right away. We had a premium deluxe room with plunge pool! The room was nicely decorated, clean, and spacious. Two sinks with two mirrors, spacious shower and jetted tub. The plunge pool was awesome! I was in it at least once a day! On arrival, we noted that the chain lock was broken and the bellhop said he would send maintenance. Well he certainly did, maintenance was there in about 3 min and it was fixed.

The overal resort is beautiful! It's a small resort with everything that seemed like a arm distance away. Didn't use the pools much but the infinity pool was cool. The beach was lovely. Lovely breeze to keep you cool. Always lounge chairs available. You had to be down at the beach around 730am to get a hut but around noon, you always could find one. Security is always present at the beach..no hounding by sellers. There's a lifeguard on duty all day.

The restaurants were all lovely! Great food! Dreams is famous for not having to make reservations for the restaurants however there would be a hour-hour and half wait for the restaurants from 6-8pm (peak times). We would usually go a little later to avoid this. The Mexican one, El Patio, oddly enough, wasn't our favourite. Heard this from others as well.

The best part about this resort is the CO CO Cafe! What a lovely addition! They serve a wide variety of coffees, frozen coffees and treats (donuts, pastries, brownies, cheesecake)! Carrot Cake to die for! :)

The entertainment team were all nice..friendly. However, on my past vacations, I found them more personable, energetic, mingled more with the crowd. I went to a Dreams in Punta Cana and hardly took part in any of the activities, but knew all the names of the entertainment team plus they knew ours. Not so much here, but some people like it that way.

Have to give a shout out to Carlos and Javier, drink servers at the beach/pool area!

Had a great time at this resort! Would go back in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Rooms close to the lobby can be noisy in the evening (8-11pm).
Alden, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

What a beautiful resort. My husband and I have traveled many times to Mexico but this was the first time taking our children ages 6 and 9. We stayed for a week and all had a blast. Everyone from the concierge, housekeeping, waiters, etc were awesome in every way. Our kids loved the pools which are nicely heated. The beach is great for walking and probably only 2 miles from town but the kids couldn't find any seashells. Also the kids club has fun activities for kids. Ours only did it for a couple of hours one day but liked it very much. A special shout out to Gerardo who went out of his way to make our trip as comfortable and convenient as possible. Also to Antonio and Paulino at the Hibachi restaurant and Roger and David who waited on us at the pool.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

We attended a wedding at Dreams Riviera. Arrival at airport and to hotel went smooth. Hotel about 25 min from airport. Check-in : We paid extra for the Preferred Club. It has its own check in area and upgraded bar ( better brands ) and serves breakfast and snacks all day. Not worth it for families. Our room was excellent with a great ocean view fron the 5th floor. ( make sure you get a room towards the pool areas not the neighbors ) Large marble shower and whirlpool tub and whirlpool on the balcony ( don't need not private ) very comfy bed. refirg stocked daily with water, beer ect ) Just because you paid for a the preferred club doesn't mean you'll get a good room. Be persistent. My daughters and husbands both had to move. The spa was one of the best I've visited. Well worth the cost. Workout room and yoga classed were great. Remarkable massage. Pool and hot tub area were excellent. Food was superb. French and Italian resturants were marvelous. We were there for a wedding and the hotel did a extraordinary job. This is an all inclusive hotel. No need to ever leave the property. This hotel allows children. They have many programs for the kids. Perfect for families. But if you're looking for a quiet place, you may want an adult only hotel. I loved the place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Fort Worth, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

The resort was not easily accessed. We had to take a taxi or a pre-arranged van in order for us to get to places. We stayed there for 4 days/3 nights. We had the garden view room. The room was great! It was clean and very pretty. However, the room insulation was poor! We could hear our neighbors playing loud music and people in the hallway. It's such a waste to have such a beautiful room with poor insulation. The resort itself was relaxing, well maintained and beautiful. I was a little bit disappointed about the beach area. It was not as nice/clean as the one we stayed in the Cancun area. Apparently, there were many activities (such as yoga class) going on around the resort, which gave the customer more choices than laying on the beach.

I would recommend improving the customer serivces at the front desk. We were inquiring about the airport shuttle bus at the front desk. He did not seem to understand us. He then said that there was no airport shuttle bus, and referred us to a guy sitting at the side table. The guy said the same thing- there was no airport shuttle bus, and we could only go by taxi (which costs USD 40). We later on found out through another friend that there IS an airport shuttle bus service, and they even had a booth (rep) in the resort. The airport shuttle bus only costs USD 18. I don't think it's acceptable for the receptionist not to know what is being offered in the resort. We did not experience any problems with the staff in the restaurants or at the bars. They were actually pretty friendly.

We were also a bit disappointed about the "VIP package". We were given a 200 USD coupon book, which can only be used in the SPA (for certain services only, such as massage and body wrap. Perhaps only the expensive services), wines in the restaurants, and a romantic package. We were considering getting a massage, which after the coupon (and we can only use 40 dollars) is USD 79 per person for 60 minutes. The coupons couldn't be used towards wifi (wifi is around 10 dollars per day) or at the gift shops. We did not understand why there were so many restrictions. We ended up not using any of the coupons.

Now, the foods. Not that great. They got the world cafe (buffet), an Italian, French, Japanese. Mexican and seafood restaurants. The breakfast buffet was decent. We tried all the other restaurants, and were not impressed. The only good food we got was the payaya, which was offered during a lunch cooking show.

Overall, the experience was OK, but I wouldn't go back again. If you are looking for a drinking/relaxing vacation, I would recommend the resort. However, if you planned to take a few tours during the day (and not spending that much time in the hotel), I would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!