“An excellant winter escape” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580 , Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Hot Hot Hot Savings!
Ranked #7 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Wheeling, Illinois
“An excellant winter escape”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We returned from Dreams Riviera Wednesday January 16, 2013. Vacationed with our best friends and enjoyed a fantastic 7 day vacation. Service, food and drinks were exceptional.No complaints about any of the restaurants we always ate either at 6 or 6:30 PM when they opened and never had to wait to be seated Ate at all restaurants except El Patio. The resort was packed Thursday through Saturday and after that the census went down. Made it much easier to find a spot on the beach.Enjoyed the open lobby area and also did a lot of wedding watching. Would return to this resort in the future.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends

2,618 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (733)
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I just returned from Dreams Riviera Cancun last Sunday, a trip I went on with my husband, our 2 girls, and 2 other couples, each with 1 child. I thoroughly read reviews written by other travellers before I picked this resort, and when we first arrived, we were all in agreement that this resort is beautiful. My husband and I booked an oceanfront master suite, which was a big and nice appartment. Upon first inspection we noticed the lock to the balcony was completely broken, which we called right away to get fixed. In addition, the table on the balcony was filthy, which still wasn't a big deal.. A few hours after settling in, I noticed the massive amount of ants that was in our room. My husband asked for bug spray and sprayed the areas he thought the ants came from. Although the amount of ants decreased for about a day, the next day we found just as much ants as we noticed on the first day. Again, my husband got a bug spray and sparyed the whole, entire appartment, which still did not help. By then, we both decided to thoughen it out (even though I was super grossed out, the ants were everywhere! Even in my toothbrush..), it was just too much to start packing everything again and unpacking and I'm 7 months pregnant and get tired very fast..
Another horrible topic I'd like to discuss is the food. Out of our whole group, almost every single one of us got sick! Honestly, their food handling is disgusting and the freshness of their food is very very questionable. On our first day, we went to the buffet to eat before we recieved our room (which, by the way, has a really bad sewer smell when you first walk in, every time you walk in..) and I asked for sushi, and the guy just picked them up with his hands and put them on my plate! Gross.. Also, throughout the week they had the same kind of dishes on rotation, and you just know that they probably never throw any food away, even if it's been out hours at a time. They probably just store it back and re-heat it a few times, it just never tasted fresh. The only decent retaurant is the Japanese restaurant, whic served a few good dishes. On our last day, my husband's stomach was hurting so bad and that continued for 3 days! And he hardly ever gets sick! My 3 year old daughter had an upset stomach and I was nauseous on 2 other occasions during the trip. My friend got a horrible stomach flu, the next day, her daughter got the same thing. Another couple that we travelled with, the husband got sick one night, and on the last day of their trip, their 3 year old daughter stayed up all night vomiting. It just was beyond horrible. This all inclusive trip was the most disappointing one we've ever been on, and we've been on quite a few, we travelled a few times to Mexico, one time to Jamaica, twice to the Dominican Republic, and one time to Cuba.
Service at the buffet was so frustrating. When we first got seated, every time we went there for beakfast without expection, we ordered lattes. It seriously took them at least 30 minutes to an hour to serve them to us. Most of the waiters didn't fully undersatnd our very simple orders, of say, a half shot latte, or hot milk requests. The same cannot be said about the service around the pool, which was good.
Public bathroom cleanliness at this supposedly 5 star resort is disgusting. The bathroom in the buffet area was always dirty. In addition, the ventilation system there is bad too, you just feel suffocated when you walk in plus the stalls are dirty, and this gets intensified when you have young children that need to go to the bathroom.. Both my friend and I brought this to the guy that seemed in charge in the buffet area, on 2 different occasions and obviously it didn't help. But this wasn't limited to the bathroom in the buffet area. All bathrooms there weren't not cleaned properly. The best of all of them, which still didn't meet a 5 star resort level, was in the lobby area, and the only reason is because it's completely hidden from view! You would never know it's there until you ask someone for the nearest bathroom..
The kids' club seemed cute, but my kids never got to play in it because you're required to drop off your kids there and basically leave, which all of us refused to do. So that was a disappointment. This was the first resort that didn't allow adults in unless it's between 9-9:30am, which is ridiculous.
The only good thing about this trip was the kids' pool, which was heated, as well as the infiniti pool. Besides that, we've been to the beach once. Usually we love spending time on the beach, but it wasn't the nicest beach. Lots of seaweed and the water isn't clear.
I hope this review helps others!

Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I did lots of search before booking this resort and at some stages I was a bit worried to go ahead as there were some negative comments but really happy that we chose this resort and will definitely go back. I will try to provide a more detailed description of the resort for people like me who want to go for the first time to Mexico Cancun area.

My family of three (Me, my wife and a 5 year old daughter) stayed in Dreams Riviera Resort on the week of Jan 5th for 1 week. Before booking through WestJet Vacations, I requested a Preferred Club Ocean View room on the highest floor possible and in a quiet area. When we arrived and did the check-in through preferred club lounge, noticed that they had accommodated our request and provided us with the room requested. Staff at the lounge were also willing to accommodate any changes required to our room and even moving us to a different wing if required. The room was really clean, 2 Jacuzzi there, one inside and the other on the balcony outside. We never used or felt the requirement to use any of these as we were extremely busy with all other activities there on the resort but it can be good for families with smaller children. The room shower and wash room area was separated from the bedroom area to give more privacy. I noticed that they were cleaning all the rooms at least 2 times everyday, providing fresh towels and packing the mini bar inside the room with drinks (Corona, Soft Drinks, Water, Chips and M&Ms). Every evening they were passing a sheet from their entertainment centre with all activities for the following day. Overall, Rooms really clean, cozy and maid service fantastic.
Regarding the preferred club, I suggest everybody takes this. With this, you will be provided with WIFI access for your stay for free, Spa Pass for at least a day to use the facility, access to the desktop computers inside the lounge with internet connection, Breakfast in the morning, snacks, coffee, drinks throughout the day and many more advantages that can't be described. We tried the American Breakfast one day in the lounge and it was great, a change from everyday Buffet breakfast in World Cafe.
Regarding the restaurants, there are 5 of them(Italian, Mexican, Asian, French, World Cafe) on the resort apart from poolside restaurants (2 + Seaside Grill). We tried all of them except the Asian Restaurant. All of them have great food and great atmosphere. Only one of the restaurants (French) is adult only and we could go there with my wife while my girl was busy in the kids club. We loved the food in all of them, service fantastic and atmosphere great. I can remember Antonio from Italian, Francesco from French and Aaron from Mexican who were great. We had couple of breakfast at the beach (Oceana Restaurant) and it was a very good experience. We rarely used the buffet in World Cafe as there were lots of restaurants there. All the bars in Poolside and beach were fantastic. I remember Israel from Poolside bar who was a really hard worker with great attitude. We tried room service also for 2 times and the food was also great with great service.
Regarding the kids club, my daughter used it couple of times which gave us the time to go to Spa for massage with ,my wife and try the French one night. They have lots of activities there in the kids club which keeps children busy all day.
Th spa was fantastic, great massage and very good atmosphere. Very clean and truly a good experience.
We were mainly in the big pool there as my daughter is 5 but there are 2 more pools, one for smaller kids very shallow and the other with lots of activities inside.
The beach was great but there were lots of sea weeds. It never hurt us but some people may not like it. However, the beach was a paradise.
Night activities by entertainment staff were great. They have Magic Show, Casino Night, Rock music and Circus, Brazilian Dance, etc. all week long. I can just say you need to go and experience it yourself.
So, I totally recommend the hotel to all families and do not even hesitate once you read some negative comments as I did at the beginning.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We returned last night from a week long stay at the Dreams Riviera resort. There were 14 of us in our group, travelling down from various parts of Canada via Air Canada Vacations. Most had been to Cancun/Mayan Riviera before and a few had enjoyed several trips to the Valentin Imperial. At the end of the trip - those that had been to the Valentin preferred it to Dreams.

Check-in was very smooth - wait wasn't long, we were provided champagne and cold towels and within 5 minutes were on our way to the room. Rooms were very nice - bed was comfortable, cleaning staff did a wonderful job throughout the week, ensuring that the room was clean, mini-bar was stocked and our bed was turned down every night. We were in building number 2 on the 4th floor, oceanview room. The view of the ocean wasn't fantastic, but we avoided noise from the hottub which others from our group had to listen to, being closer to the water. Overall - the rooms were up to the 5 star caliber with no major issues (few minor ones included a shower that didn't drain very well, a rumbling sink faucet when the hot water was turned on too much, etc).

Beach - it was nice - service was good on the beach and the noise levels were more moderate. Water was a bit of a disapointment as it was fairly rocky/reedy on the ocean floor at this particular part. We walked down to Puerto Moreales and the beach/ocean was much nicer down there. Nevertheless, we spent most of our time during the day on the beach.

Pools - gorgeous - very busy while we were there with kids and a corporate event that took over the infiniti pool. The ping pong tables were a hit, we spent a fair amount of time using them throughout the week.

Drinks - no issues here either. We discovered the ultra premium selection available at each bar early in the trip. Simply ask for Grey Goose/Don Julio/Bombay and they will gladly use it for any drinks. Service was generally good, though the lobby bar was quite crowded around dinner time and in the evening.

Food - the food was a letdown in my eyes. There were some bright spots - Oceana was a gorgeous restaurant overlooking the ocean and the french restaurant was quite good. But overall, the food was not up to 5 star standards. Omelettes in the morning were sub par - ingredients were not all mixed together and cooked - peppers/meat were cooked seperately from the egg which was odd. Buffet had a strong odor and was packed with kids, so we only ate there twice. We had a pleasant room service experience, but others in our group did not. The consistency simply wasn't there and it should be!

Entertainment - A bit of a mixed bag here. The shows were well done for the most part, but they are all held on the steps to the lobby. So if you are sitting in the lobby having a drink, you can't have a conversation with anyone because the music is so loud. They had nightly music in the lobby afterwards too, a nice touch, but the acoustics were off. Way too loud and we were a group in our late 20s/early 30s.

We would try out another Dreams resort - have heard that Tulum is quite nice. But if returning to the Mayan Riviera again, would take our business to Excellence or the Valentin.

Miami, Florida, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel was very nice and clean and the rooms were beautiful. We loved the spa area and went there 2 of the days we were there.The food was less than average and the drinks were just OK. If we were to go back we would try a different place.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is the first time I am writing a review for a hotel and I have been traveling the world and this was the 5 th time I have been to Mexico. We were two couples with 2 small children ( both 2 years old) so we decided to do a thorough research on the hotel we are staying at. After reading the wonderful reviews we decided on Drams Reivara Cancun. To make the story short all of us beside my daughter who had decided to be on a diet of cookies and water got severely sick. The hotel and rooms were beautiful but the food was awful.The food at the words Cafe buffet always looked sparse and few days old and with small children that is the place we opted for a few times. We got sick on different days and each had different preferences for food so this could not have been an isolated case. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Pros:

1- Clean Beautiful rooms. The rooms were cleaned and the towels changed twice a day
2- Kid friendly resort with shallow heated pool for small children
3- Great nightly entertainment
4- Coco Coffey shop

Cons:

1-Food were unhygienic and sparse in the buffet for a 5 star hotel
2-Some of the service staff were unfriendly

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was here for a 4 day weekend in January. Definitely the nicest resort I have ever stayed at. On the small side, which is nice- you can get around it very quickly. The rooms are beautiful, loved the dual sink in the open, although there is definitely privacy issues with the shower and toilet doors being see-through in some areas, no sounds isolation either. Wasn't an issue for me, since I was alone in the room. The pool area is very nice, infinity pool overlooking the ocean being my favorite. It is heated too. Beach is nice too, although water not so much, lots of seaweed. Food was very good - I've tried French, Italian, Steak-house, would recommend all of them (French was probably my favorite, loved the escargots). My only complaint is a REALLY slow service at Oceanic during lunch hours, and I mean ridiculously slow - plan on staying for for 1.5-2 hours. Although food was good - shrimp/fish tacos were delicious. I loved the breakfast buffet as well.
It's definitely a family resort, lots of kids everywhere, even by the swim-up bar in the infinity pool, which is annoying. It's also a popular wedding destination, I saw 2 weddings during my 4 days stay. Overall I loved this place, and had a blast. I came here with 200 colleagues for an annual event, All the expenses were covered by my employer. so I definitely can't complain :) Otherwise this resort is a little out of my price range. But if you can afford it, you will definitely enjoy it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!