I just returned from Dreams Riviera Cancun last Sunday, a trip I went on with my husband, our 2 girls, and 2 other couples, each with 1 child. I thoroughly read reviews written by other travellers before I picked this resort, and when we first arrived, we were all in agreement that this resort is beautiful. My husband and I booked an oceanfront master suite, which was a big and nice appartment. Upon first inspection we noticed the lock to the balcony was completely broken, which we called right away to get fixed. In addition, the table on the balcony was filthy, which still wasn't a big deal.. A few hours after settling in, I noticed the massive amount of ants that was in our room. My husband asked for bug spray and sprayed the areas he thought the ants came from. Although the amount of ants decreased for about a day, the next day we found just as much ants as we noticed on the first day. Again, my husband got a bug spray and sparyed the whole, entire appartment, which still did not help. By then, we both decided to thoughen it out (even though I was super grossed out, the ants were everywhere! Even in my toothbrush..), it was just too much to start packing everything again and unpacking and I'm 7 months pregnant and get tired very fast..
Another horrible topic I'd like to discuss is the food. Out of our whole group, almost every single one of us got sick! Honestly, their food handling is disgusting and the freshness of their food is very very questionable. On our first day, we went to the buffet to eat before we recieved our room (which, by the way, has a really bad sewer smell when you first walk in, every time you walk in..) and I asked for sushi, and the guy just picked them up with his hands and put them on my plate! Gross.. Also, throughout the week they had the same kind of dishes on rotation, and you just know that they probably never throw any food away, even if it's been out hours at a time. They probably just store it back and re-heat it a few times, it just never tasted fresh. The only decent retaurant is the Japanese restaurant, whic served a few good dishes. On our last day, my husband's stomach was hurting so bad and that continued for 3 days! And he hardly ever gets sick! My 3 year old daughter had an upset stomach and I was nauseous on 2 other occasions during the trip. My friend got a horrible stomach flu, the next day, her daughter got the same thing. Another couple that we travelled with, the husband got sick one night, and on the last day of their trip, their 3 year old daughter stayed up all night vomiting. It just was beyond horrible. This all inclusive trip was the most disappointing one we've ever been on, and we've been on quite a few, we travelled a few times to Mexico, one time to Jamaica, twice to the Dominican Republic, and one time to Cuba.
Service at the buffet was so frustrating. When we first got seated, every time we went there for beakfast without expection, we ordered lattes. It seriously took them at least 30 minutes to an hour to serve them to us. Most of the waiters didn't fully undersatnd our very simple orders, of say, a half shot latte, or hot milk requests. The same cannot be said about the service around the pool, which was good.
Public bathroom cleanliness at this supposedly 5 star resort is disgusting. The bathroom in the buffet area was always dirty. In addition, the ventilation system there is bad too, you just feel suffocated when you walk in plus the stalls are dirty, and this gets intensified when you have young children that need to go to the bathroom.. Both my friend and I brought this to the guy that seemed in charge in the buffet area, on 2 different occasions and obviously it didn't help. But this wasn't limited to the bathroom in the buffet area. All bathrooms there weren't not cleaned properly. The best of all of them, which still didn't meet a 5 star resort level, was in the lobby area, and the only reason is because it's completely hidden from view! You would never know it's there until you ask someone for the nearest bathroom..
The kids' club seemed cute, but my kids never got to play in it because you're required to drop off your kids there and basically leave, which all of us refused to do. So that was a disappointment. This was the first resort that didn't allow adults in unless it's between 9-9:30am, which is ridiculous.
The only good thing about this trip was the kids' pool, which was heated, as well as the infiniti pool. Besides that, we've been to the beach once. Usually we love spending time on the beach, but it wasn't the nicest beach. Lots of seaweed and the water isn't clear.
I hope this review helps others!
- Also Known As:
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort And Spa
- Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The luxurious Dreams Riviera Cancun takes its personality from its incredible location — just 30 minutes from the "hot" excitement of Cancun yet right on the "cool" Caribbean close to Playa del Carmen and many other of the Mayan Riviera’s most sought after sights. Most importantly, it is an enchanting wonderland where families, couples, singles and friends enjoy all the pleasures and privileges of Unlimited-Luxury® where everything is included. Your whole being will relax immediately, surrounded by our large sun-dappled swimming pools and a sugar white sand beach. To this, add lush tropical gardens and of course, our fabulous palm-filled beach. Your day and evening activities range from exciting to purely relaxing — with plenty to do for everyone including endless land and water activities, a world-class Dreams Spa by Pevonia and fitness center, nearby golf and much more. "Home" features the uniquely shaped octagonal room or suite, beautifully appointed with a private balcony, marble floors and full marble bath area with Jacuzzi tub and dozens of other luxury amenities and conveniences that anticipate your desires and fulfill them instantly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Amex, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline and Tingo so you can book your Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.