“Beautiful rooms horrible food” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580 , Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #7 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful rooms horrible food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is the first time I am writing a review for a hotel and I have been traveling the world and this was the 5 th time I have been to Mexico. We were two couples with 2 small children ( both 2 years old) so we decided to do a thorough research on the hotel we are staying at. After reading the wonderful reviews we decided on Drams Reivara Cancun. To make the story short all of us beside my daughter who had decided to be on a diet of cookies and water got severely sick. The hotel and rooms were beautiful but the food was awful.The food at the words Cafe buffet always looked sparse and few days old and with small children that is the place we opted for a few times. We got sick on different days and each had different preferences for food so this could not have been an isolated case. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone.

Pros:

1- Clean Beautiful rooms. The rooms were cleaned and the towels changed twice a day
2- Kid friendly resort with shallow heated pool for small children
3- Great nightly entertainment
4- Coco Coffey shop

Cons:

1-Food were unhygienic and sparse in the buffet for a 5 star hotel
2-Some of the service staff were unfriendly

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (794)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was here for a 4 day weekend in January. Definitely the nicest resort I have ever stayed at. On the small side, which is nice- you can get around it very quickly. The rooms are beautiful, loved the dual sink in the open, although there is definitely privacy issues with the shower and toilet doors being see-through in some areas, no sounds isolation either. Wasn't an issue for me, since I was alone in the room. The pool area is very nice, infinity pool overlooking the ocean being my favorite. It is heated too. Beach is nice too, although water not so much, lots of seaweed. Food was very good - I've tried French, Italian, Steak-house, would recommend all of them (French was probably my favorite, loved the escargots). My only complaint is a REALLY slow service at Oceanic during lunch hours, and I mean ridiculously slow - plan on staying for for 1.5-2 hours. Although food was good - shrimp/fish tacos were delicious. I loved the breakfast buffet as well.
It's definitely a family resort, lots of kids everywhere, even by the swim-up bar in the infinity pool, which is annoying. It's also a popular wedding destination, I saw 2 weddings during my 4 days stay. Overall I loved this place, and had a blast. I came here with 200 colleagues for an annual event, All the expenses were covered by my employer. so I definitely can't complain :) Otherwise this resort is a little out of my price range. But if you can afford it, you will definitely enjoy it!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We just arrived home from a 5 day stay at this all inclusive resort and loved every minute! The resort was very clean, grounds well maintained and the 99% of the employees very willing to meet any needs and were very accomodating. The dinner restraunts were wonderful especially the French, Italian and El Patio. We felt so pampered with the 5 star service at the elegant restraunts in the evening. I did not particularly care for the raw salmon in the salad at lunch at the Oceana yet I'm sure that is a delicacy for many. The Coco Cafe was always a fun stop mid afternoon for a cup of coffee, "skinny latte" (got to save those calories!), frozen baileys or smoothies. The abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables made healthy choices easier and by being consciencious I actually lost 1 1/2 pounds! Walking on the beautiful white sandy beach was so refreshing. The entertainment at night was OK....some nights great others not so much. It was certainly a very relaxing time and my husband and I enjoyed every minute and are looking forward to returning to the area in the future.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the garden area which was very nice in that rooms near the pool seem to have to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
alberta, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

We travelled to Dreams Riviera Cancun Nov 11 to Nov 18, 2012. From the moment we landed and hopped on the bus for the 30 minute bus ride to our resort the fun began!! We were there with about 40+ people for a wedding. The resort was soooo beautiful, clean, and very friendly. We had upgraded service so we were directed to a special check in room(vip) to register, have a snack and grab a drink! We had the most amazing room...OCEAN VIEW...so awesome!! The rooms were spacious, with a very comfortable king size bed, and beautiful ensuite.
The food was incredible. The bonus is you do not have to book your a la cartes. You just show up. If you go before 630pm you will most likely get right in...if you are later than that it could be at least 8-830pm before you get in. Every a la carte was exceptional service, amazing food, and awesome ambience. The buffet also had a great selection every day for breakie and the pool bars at lunch offered great sit down meals as well as the pizza and burgers were great too during the afternoon. We spent most of our time on the beach. It was a bit windy at times but generally had great weather.
The wedding was soooo romantic. The meal at the beach was excellent. Everything about it was a dream come true.
I would recommend this resort to anyone!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Longport, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Had the pleasure of staying here in a preferred club oceanfront suite. Our balcony even wrapped around the corner so you could see entire property-nice touch! Great food in all restaurants here! Found that I was very partial to the french restaurant-so good! Loved the option of going to the resort's little cafe in the morning for a freshly brewed expresso and yummy pastries (which changed to tasty tea size sandwiches at lunch time). Private, friendly check in for preferred club bookings- oh so worth it! Great pool area. Since i am a beach bum, found myself spending the bulk of the days on their very vast beach-could take a great walk in either direction-then, back to my thatched hut for relaxing with a cucumber mojito! Kudos to high energy GM Juan- he was all over the property-making sure everything was top notch (and it was). Would recommend this resort for families first- would be a great family reunion resort. I was there with my husband and found it a little noisy but could always find a quieter spot on property. Had a wonderful time and probably looked a little plumper when i left :(

Room Tip: Oh no doubt- go for oceanfront suite!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

I really should have written this earlier. It was for our wedding. So rarely do you stay at one of these resorts and the place is as awesome as their photos. This place was. I'm sure it was partly due to the fact that it was less than a year old.

We have stayed at the other Dreams in PV and we know people who stayed at the VillaMagna one who thought the PV one was way better. Well Riviera Cancun, without hyperbole is a 10 x better for weddings, room quality, food diversity. The one thing I'll give PV was there was slightly more activities on the beach.

The wedding coordinator was a machine. Even though the rain threatened, she didn't miss a beat despite 2-3 weddings a day. The only hiccups were:1 she never sent me a dresser, 2 there was no husband room for the night before. The second is no biggie.

The rooms are oriented in a way that EVERYONE has an ocean view. The LOBBY is spectacular and somewhere you ACTUALLY want to hang out. The diversity of restaurants was indefatigueable with great quality food. The Asian 'Beni Hana'style restaurant was our favourit only because we hovered over the door the morning of booking and booked both grills for everyone in our group.

There were 20-25 of us and no on had a complaint.

The only one I have, and is easily corrected is that when we went in April/May, it was just before raining season so the winds were high. They sliding doors to our balcony rattled and whistled.

The bar has a small dance floor and is open late. the PV one had no equivalent.

I would recommend this resort to families, couples, and friends alike.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

When arriving at the hotel we were excited about our upgrade to "ocean view". I guess ocean view means leaning out of the hotel balcony and seeing a tiny sliver of the ocean about 300 yards away to the right. Directly in front of our "ocean view" balcony, was a run down apartment complex with 6 dogs barking all night long on the roof. :/ You don't spend much time in your room, so we just overlooked it. The bathrooms are definitely "couple" oriented. It's an open layout with a jacuzzi tub out in the open. If you are lucky enough to get a tub and water that works, I'm sure you would enjoy it. Ours however wouldn't turn on( I opened the panel under the tub and there were empty beer bottles and trashe shoved in there, along with a used toilet brush) and we had to wait at least 25 minutes before any hot water came through the shower. We then had ZERO towels in our room upon our arrival, so we had to call to even take a shower. The beach was nice, except we found screws and nails about 3 inches long all in the sand where we were lounging. One went through my sisters flip flop and punctured a hole in her foot. This is a VERY family oriented resort. Kids everywhere. The bars(swing bar, beach bar, swim up bar) closed an HOUR before the time listed on the paper. It said that they closed at 6pm, but there wasn't anything served after 5pm. They took everything off the shelf and stopped serving. The bar type place open after 5 pm is the lobby bar, and a teeny tiny sports bar near the back of the resort. These two were ok, but to be the only places open for casual drinks past 5pm seems odd. You are on the beach way past then...

All in all, the food was decent, the staff was friendly and ready to help in any way, but I would not return to this resort. I don't feel as though the little things that should count, were taken into consideration.

Room Tip: If you want an "Ocean View" make sure you can actually SEE the ocean. When you first ente...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GerenciaDRERC, General Manager Assistant at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Trip Advisor User,

It has been a true pleasure to have been chosen for your vacations. Thank you for taking the time to write your review in regards your recent stay.

I would like to offer my sincerest apology for for not being able to fulfill you expectations in regards to your room location and the inconsistencies in service you experienced during your stay.

You may rest assured that adjustments are being implemented to enable us to continue providing excellent service and to prevent these inconveniences from reoccurring.

We look forward to the have a second chance to restore your confidence on our Resort and have the opportunity to host you again in a near future.

Respectfully,

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!