“Family Vacation (Boston)” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera Federal 307 | Chetumal–Puerto Juárez, Benito Juárez, Puerto Morelos 77580 , Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Nights!
Ranked #7 of 23 hotels in Puerto Morelos
Boston, Massachusetts
“Family Vacation (Boston)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We recently spent a week here with my wife and I and our two daughters and their boyfriends. Let me mention some of the staff that went out of their way to make our stay a memorable vacation. At the front desk there was Jose and especially Hernan. Hernan was able to assist us with our accommodations and then also move us to a nicer room when our air conditioning failed to work. Iran in the Mexican restaurant went above and beyond to make that dinner our most enjoyable on the trip. Jeshua in the entertainment department is very outgoing and will do whatever he can to keep you busy and happy. I have mentioned just a few but all of the staff loves to wait on your every move.

We found the resort to be very beautiful but it IS a family resort and, you may want to consider this if you have no kids or they are older. The pools were always crowded with young kids so we spent most of our time at the beach. The beach has coral and seaweed so you need to consider this as well. The wait staff on the beach is awesome.

The resort was overbooked and moved us to Secrets Capri for the last 2 nights at our request. This was an adult only resort and, since our group was all over 18 we gladly moved. This resort was incredible...small but beautiful.

Room Tip: Totally worth upgrading to preferred ocean view. You want to be on one of the top two floors for a s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
GerenciaDRERC, General Manager Assistant at Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 24, 2012
Dear Trip Advisor User

Greetings from Dreams Riviera Cancun!

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write about your satisfactions and dissatisfactions during your stay at our nice resort.

Your comments are very important to us and we are always looking forward to improve, regarding the seaweed at the beach we have a weekly cleaning by our staff and we try to keep it as clean as possible but it´s something we don’t have full control of since it´s a natural cause.

Your kind words serve to encourage all of us at Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel and Resorts to strive even harder to make all your stays with us as enjoyable and pleasant as possible.

Rest assured that I will share your note with our dedicated staff for them to know that you have recognized their efforts.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

2,768 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (784)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

The overall design and look of the hotel is really cool with a big lobby hall where you have a great view over the jungle. We arrived at the hotel and were welcomed with a half glas of sparkling wine and some water. David from the VIP service introduced us to the hotel, gave us some vouchers and also one for a 1 day car rental (if we listen to one of his colleagues to show us the rooms of the hotel) It turned out that this showing of the room is a 2 hour sales promotion filling out lots of questionairs to sign for the members vacation club (this was really awful and annoying) But we got a car for a day excl. insurance.
The rooms have been cleaned very well and were nicely equipped. The only negative was the bad noise isolation of the doors. We could hear all guests and service personal walking and talking on the corridor.
There was a huge variety of lunch and dinner possibilities (4 restaurants for dinner, 2 lunch restaurants plus the snack bar) The food was very good.
Its overall a huge resort with a lot of people, great possibilities and good service!

Room Tip: We would not recommend it for honeymooners when you like a quiet and romantic hotel.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Greetings from Dreams Riviera Cancun

I sincerely appreciate your note expressing your satisfaction with the quality of service you received as a guest at Dreams Riviera Cancun.

The world-renowned reputation Dreams Riviera Cancun worldwide is built on commitment to exemplary guest service. As client of the Dreams Riviera Cancun, we value your patronage and thank you again for taking the time to provide us with our guest’s feedback.

Brooklyn, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

I arrived on July 19th to celebrate my 50th birthday and my parents 25th anniversary with my family,parents and sister and her family. We booked Preferred Club Rooms which were great(you can choose a ocean view or a room with a plunge pool, way,way more amenities than a regular room). We were greeted in the lobby by a representative from the concierge at the Preferred Club who whisked us away to the Preferred Club lounge to check us in and offer us a drink. The PC lounge serves breakfast,drinks and afternoon hors d'oeuvres-which were great. We would all meet there before going to dinner for a drink and a lite snack. The Pevonia Spa was beautiful. I enjoyed my massage very much. You could order room service at any time of the day. The rooms were stocked with water,juice and beer everyday.We had turn-down service too. I have to say that the resort was spotless. The staff is very friendly. The outside bar on the beach was a lot of fun.My 7 yr old niece made friends everyday and loved going to the kids club. There are 3 pools and a beautiful beach. I have to say that we had the best meals in the "El Patio" Mexican restaurant.The Mexican coffee is a must in El Patio! We also booked the wine cellar in the Bordeaux for my 50th bday dinner.The Coco cafe served coffee and tea all day and had the greatest oatmeal cookies. The paella was delish,which they served everyday pool side. The only problem was that you had to get up at the crack of dawn to get chairs by the pool or a hut on the beach. People seemed to put their towels there by 6am. I think that if you are paying extra for Preferred Club that they should reserve a hut or chairs for you. I also liked that is was no where near the hotel zone. With that said, it was one of the most enjoyed and relaxing vacation I had in a long time. I look forward to trying one of their other resorts and going back to Dreams Riviera Cancun!

Room Tip: go for the preferred club rooms.also seemed cheaper to book flight and hotel through Dreams .
Dear Trip Advisor User

Greetings from sunny Riviera Maya!

Thank you for taking the time and effort to write us about you pleasant stay at our beautiful resort. We are very glad everything turned out as you expected on your family vacation!

We hope to have you back soon!
Sicklerville, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Our Dreams Riviera Cancun Wedding

I am not exactly sure how to organize this review. I guess I will start by saying that we always knew we wanted a destination wedding. Multiple friends of ours had one and we loved them. We didn’t know we were going to go to DRC, though.

My husband plans huge events for a living yet he left the research and planning up to me. We were going away to Riviera Maya last year and planned to look at various resorts. DRC was one. The resort we were staying at, Ocean Coral & Turquesa [horrible!!] was another. We also planned to see The Royal Cancun and Azul Sensatori. Once we got to Mexico last year we knew immediately that OCT was awful but we made the best of it. A few days in we decided to go check out DRC.

We had set up an appointment with the then-manager, Ana. When we arrived Ana greeted us with Jorge and introduced herself. Jorge took us on a guided tour which we video taped. If you missed it, here are the videos:

www.youtube.com/belcantoragazza

Immediately we knew that DRC was the right choice. It was head and shoulders above the resort we were at and everyone looked like they were having a blast. We reserved our date in person immediately.

Fast-forward a year to the day we arrived at Dreams. I will say I was panicky a few days before leaving because my coordinator had changed from Yamina to Lorena and I hadn’t had any communication with Lorena. When we arrived we were with 10 other people. They whisked us away from them to the preferred club area to check in. We had been booked in the honeymoon suite because we reserved 20 rooms for our guests. When we arrived though, Dennys in the preferred club upgraded us to a Master Suite!! Our bags were brought to our room immediately and we were given our first drinks and a cool towel. It was heavenly after traveling from 3 AM.

We went up to our room, unpacked, changed and went down to the pool for some drinks. Overall, it was a very easy and relaxing travel day.

Wednesday morning we had plans to meet with Lorena. As soon as I met her I knew she would make our wedding a DREAM! We brought all of our welcome bags to her and they were distributed later that afternoon. One thing I wish the resort did better was delivering the bags in the morning instead of waiting until people checked in. We had important information for that night in the bags and some of our guests didn’t get it right when they should have. That would be one thing I would stress. They say they don’t deliver before check in because sometimes people change rooms, etc. Anyway, we went through all of the details with my parents and paid for the wedding right then. Lorena said we could bring back all of the supplies Thursday morning for them to set up on Friday. Afterward we just went and hung out by the pool until our guests arrived.

Wednesday afternoon I did a hair and make up trial in the salon. I 100% recommend this and if you need an appointment I would make it ASAP. I think I saw the email address for the spa floating around somewhere. I had Rosa do my hair and make up. I showed her a picture and while it looked nice, my hair looked nothing like the picture. By the end of the night I decided I didn’t want this for my wedding hair because it was way too teased on top and did not feel beachy at all. My make up on the other hand was PERFECT! She did exactly what I asked and I felt like I was glowing!

Wednesday night we planned a welcome cocktail. Really, it was very informal. We put in our welcome packets for people to meet in the lobby at 7:00 PM to mix and mingle. We all had some drinks, my husband made a toast, and then we dispersed for dinner. A bunch of us ate at the Seaside Grill and others went to Portofino. Having it informally was no problem. The lobby wasn’t crowded at that time and when people did start to come we had already taken up a lot of the space around the bar so it worked for us. We had Kevin’s sister whistle loudly when we wanted to make the toast.

Thursday was awesome! We hung out by the pool all day, played volleyball, and relaxed. We arranged a 4:00 rehearsal with Lorena, Jorge, and Linda the minister. We were very nervous at the rehearsal because Linda hadn’t looked at our script yet. We also had Kevin’s dad play guitar for our ceremony and we couldn’t hear it so it was hard to get our cues. I will say Jorge was amazing at this! He cued all of my girls and signaled us out when it was needed. I do feel pretty confident that even without the rehearsal, the wedding would’ve gone perfectly!

We planned the semi-private rehearsal dinner for El Patio right when they opened at 6:00. Alfredo and Iran and the other staff were INCREDIBLE!! The restaurant manager allowed us to pick the area for our party and shots of tequila flowed freely!!

Friday was like a dream. I was a little upset in the morning because the people communicating We had spa appointments for 1:00 and 3:00. I went first along with my maid of honor, mom, and mother in law. The other three girls went when we finished. The same girl does your hair and make up and they have a book to choose styles from. I told Rosa I changed my mind about my hair and pointed out a bridesmaid’s hair from the other wedding and told her I wanted that. She did just that and I ended up loving my hair! All of my girls were thrilled with how they looked at the wedding!

The actual wedding itself was incredible. We got ready in the room, ordered room services and champagne. I am not sure what my husband did because he was with the guys but we did not walk down the aisle until 6:00. At 4:30 Mike Cantarell from Cancun Wedding Video came to see us! He began by first filming things around the suite, then me opening my wedding gift from my husband, then my mom opening a gift from me. Anel arrived around 5:00 and took photos of me getting ready, my dress, my lingerie, etc. They worked so well together! Mike is not a resort vendor and he worked so well with Anel and vice versa!!

I was super nervous because up until 20 minutes before the ceremony they decorations they had our for our set up were pink!!! I was panicking because our colors were green and blue. My maid of honor called and nothing got fixed so my mom called and the fixed it last minute. It was a miscommunication for the other wedding. It made me nervous but then again, I had a ton of nerves anyway just because of the fact that it was our wedding day! Once they fixed it everything was perfect.

I could see the guests getting seated from all of the windows in our room. I could see Kevin standing with the guys, checking his watch, etc. It was great. I kept peeking out and then at 5:55, Lorena lined came in and lined up our mothers, brothers, bridesmaids, and finally me and my dad. My husband's dad played guitar and it was SO GOOD that we got the sound system!! We needed it. Jorge cued Lorena by radio and she told the moms and girls when to start walking. When it was our turn she said, “Take a deep breath, smile, this is your moment, walk slowly!” My dad and I walked down the steps from the presidential suite. When we got to the bottom step we looked at each other, smiled, and jumped off of the last step. I hope someone recorded that because it was one of my favorite moments.

From then on, things were a blur. The ceremony was light hearted. Linda was great! She is an amazing speaker. The crowd laughed, we laughed, everything was perfect. It was windy though and my maid of honor had to hold my veil a lot of the time. After the ceremony, everyone got champagne and took a big photo on the beach. We took portraits while our guests were lead to the cocktail hour. We missed almost the entire cocktail hour but everyone loved the mariachi trio and food. We had welcome cocktails passed which were blue mojitos to match our colors!

I will say for as windy as it was on the beach, we chose the hottest night of the year! Perfectly sunny and beautiful but we were SWEATING in the Seaside Grill. So much that we made an announcement for people to go change if they wanted. No one did though. The three hour reception flew by but it was a blast!! A huge dance party. I cannot say enough about the staff and vendors. They took great care of us! DJ Mauricio played all of our songs and kept the party going. He was wonderful.

Saturday night a family member rented the wine room at Bordeaux for us. It was AWESOME!!! Awesome food and service and we were thrilled with that too.

Everything was amazing!!! We loved every minute of our trip and wish we could go back to Dreams this instant! The resort has so much to offer and being there with your closest friends and family is a dream come true. 2013 brides, if you are worried about lack of response from coordinators try to relax. This place is a wedding factory and they run it like a well-oiled machine. Once you arrive, everything gets taken care of. They treat you like gold and you truly feel like a VIP guest. My husband and I joke that we will never have it that good on vacation again and that is probably true. Dreams was truly a DREAM and we don’t regret any bit of our decision to have our wedding there. Our guests cannot stop raving about it. We can’t stop missing it!! It was everything we imagined and so much more. The little hiccups along the way were totally forgotten when we saw each other on that day at the foot of the sea.

Dear Trip Advisor User

Greetings from sunny Riviera Maya!!

First of all Thank you for taking the time and effort to write about you recent stay at Dreams Riviera Cancun, your comments are a great source for us to verify that the high quality service rules are being followed by our staff.

It´s great to hear that everything turned out great on a special event such as your wedding, I already sent your great review to the wedding coordinators so they know that you have recognized their efforts.

Once Again,

Thank you and we hope to have you back soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

Our family of four recently visited for seven days. First off we were not greeted with any kind of warm welcome or cocktail like we have been at other resorts. Second and the worst was waiting half the day for our room because it wasn't ready. Finally when it was ready and we got to the room which was suppose to be "ocean view" (that we paid quite a bit extra for ) it CLEARLY WAS NOT!! It was a room on the second floor with the only view being a palm tree and construction on the jaccuzzi. I know there are different levels of rooms however when we booked we paid extra for the "premium deluxe ocean view" thats a joke! No ocean in sight in the first room not even in the distance! Also another issue with that room was the smell coming from the shower area to find the ceiling was covered in MOLD, that was the last straw! After taking photos of the so called ocean view and the problem in the shower, we went to the lobby to speak with the manager. We were told numerous times by an employee that there was no manager on! She didn't want to help us so we took it upon ourselves to find one and guess what? We did!!! He on the other hand wasn't a great help either he did in fact move us to a room on the fifth floor with nice view. That's the room we should have had in the first place. Don't act like your doing us a favor by moving us because it's the room we should have had in the first place!, no apology or anything! They gave us a key to the vip lounge because we then had to wait a few more hours for the new room. next we were bombarded by high pressure sales people trying to get you to buy time shares . They are very pushy and won't tAke no for an answer they fought over our acceptance to an invitation so they could get the commission (they told us they get money for each "yes") very annoying on a vacation when your trying to relax. I hAve contacted the resort and have not heard a thing, and im sure i wont! The management is horrible
On a good note, the housekeeping was great, our room was always clean sometimes cleaned twice a day!, the room service was great and friendly. The bartenders are greAt, the food was
good.
I guess I was expecting more from this expensive trip, I wish they were a little more accommodating in the beginning and it may have made the first part of the trip more tolerable.

Dear Trip Advisor User

Thank you for your feedback, we sincerely appreciate your comments expressing your satisfactions and dissatisfaction with the quality of the service you received as a guest of the Dreams Riviera Cancun.

Your kind words help all of us at Dreams Riviera Cancun Hotel and Resorts to work harder to make all your stays with us as enjoyable and pleasant as possible. It is our endeavor to consistently strive to maintain the highest levels of quality and service upon which we have built our fine renowned reputation.

We are really sorry about your first experience at Dreams Riviera Cancun, we always welcome our guests with a glass of champagne, we will make sure that everyone is being welcomed as they deserve.

Our Unlimited Vacation Club it is based in our repetitive & loyal guests. Unfortunately there is someone that is not being loyal to our main and most important factor: our guests.
Please believe me we are going to strengthen the training and timing, so our team do not go further the time and limits of trust and to avoid being more than pushy.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

We hope you could give us a second opportunity.

Best regards,
Kilkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Travelled with husband and 4 year old daughter. Loved it. Great service. The kids club was excellent. Great choice of restaurants. Great beach. Highly reccomend for families. Prob not ideal for couples as very family/child orientated

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Trip Advisor User,

Greetings from Dreams Riviera Cancun

Thank you for taking the time and the effort to write about your satisfactions during your stay in Dreams Riviera Cancun.

It´s a pleasure for us to hear that your family trip went out as you expected it and that you had a pleasant stay

We hope to have you back soon!
mexico city
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We arived there on July the 16th, to celebrate our anniversary, we payed for a Preferred Club Room, we got the best view ever 2304, we had a jacuzzy in the balcony, the octagonal rooms are spectacular, different from all the hotel rooms i have been, the only thing i didn't like is that the toilette is not very private and might be a bit uncomfortable, but then you don't care. Well the check in was at the club lounge, it was fast, they offered a beverage right away, they explained all our benefits, the 200 usd credit which we didn't use because you have to spend a long breakfast with a representative talking about the hotel chain, the hydromassage circuit which we used, and it is totally worth it, so relaxing!!! and the 50 dollar discount in the jewellery.

The Lobby is impressive, the eight restaurants are great, Bordeaux, Portofino, and El Patio my favs... kids are not allowed in the french restaurant and the dressing code is strict so check what you pack twice... The mexican is always super crowded, I recommend the tortilla soup, it was my fav restaurant of all. What I didn't like a lot is that during breakfast at World Cafe, the buffette is not that big, the omelette station lady is quite slow, i just ate there because i had to, if you like having just fruit, eggs and cereal enjoy the club lounge, iti is so peaceful!!!! Sheryl was the best there!

The infinity pool is always crowded but you always find a place to stay , there are these pool beds to float, amazing and fun, the activity pool is always warmer than the infinity, acquaerobics are the same old boring thing as in other hotels... i just did that twice... Pool chairs are always taken, but you better go to the beach if you want to read a good book, sleep, or just relax, the waiters are always there making sure you have always a nice cold drink or even a snack from the Oceana restaurant. Make sure you tip them before the service or they will forget!, anyway these guys in my opinion have the hardest part to walk on the sunny beach delivering beverages.

The bare foot grill is a must if you like hot dogs, mini cute hamburguers, onion rings, spring rolls, and pizza... sometimes there is also paella, Jophet looks rude, but he is at the grill, i also admire him, his job is though!

The Pevonia SPA so relaxing, peaceful, William gave me a discount in a Facial, and i got my hair done in a french braid so i couls swim comfortably.

The view of the ocean is amazing, if you see the white flag it means there are jellyfish, my boyfriend got stung three times... but if you know the best remedy that i won't tell, you won't suffer, algae are always coming out, but there is this tractor that cleans the beach like three times a day. What i hated is that on the weekend the ocean was so dirty, garbage was coming from everywhere, maybe it is because of the coral reef that is in front of Puerto Morelos. This hotel could do more about this. They have like three weddings everynight, and after the parties, they don't clean that well, flower petals remained on the beach for about three days...

I will definitely come back here, the weather was great, always super windy! I really recomment this place! The service here is a major strenght.

Room Tip: preferred club suites have the best views of the ocean
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor User,

Greetings from Dreams Riviera Cancun

Thank you for taking the time and the effort to write about your recent stay in Dreams Riviera Cancun. It is great to read that you received the high quality service you deserve as guest and that you had a pleasant stay.

Regarding the beach, allow me to inform you that we have daily cleaning early in the morning by our staff, thank you for your comment we will make sure they are doing their job right!

Been to Dreams Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!