“"Good, but I've stayed at better."” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa

You added Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Unidad 26, Mz. 20, Lote 1-1, SM. 3, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #9 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
wisconsin
“"Good, but I've stayed at better."”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I just returned from Now Jade after spending spring break there with a party of 7. 3 adults and 4 children ranging in age from 7-10. I booked the "mystery trip" with my travel agent and ended up at Now Jade. I knew that whatever resort I ended up at was going to be 6 apples. Maybe I set my expectations to high but I was not "wowed" by the resort. While the resort is very nice I have stayed and 4 and 5 apple resorts that I thought were close to as good and lot less money.

Pool
I was kids so I never went to the adults only pool and spent every minute in the family pool. The first day the water felt like ice but either I got use to it, or it gradually warmed up. For whatever reason the pool layout was not to my liking. That might sound strange but the pool has lots of bridges with walls under them. So the pool looks like one big pool but in fact it is like 4 smaller pools next to one another.
Like all resorts get up early or you won't find a lawn chair. Luckily I am a early riser and I barely found chairs at 5:45. There were plenty of towels and they do not require room cards, so you can take as many as you like and as often as you like.

Restaurants/Food
This is the best part of the resort. In the past I stayed at 4 and 5 stars (Grand Bahia Coba, Ocan Coral and Turquesa, and Iberostar Quetzal). This is what seperates the Now Jade from the rest. At the 4 and 5 star resorts, you would find hamburgers, hotdogs etc under heat lamps, not at Now Jade. For lunch expect Grouper, Calimari, shrimp cocktail etc. The food that I had was always great. Only complaint is that times, they were understaffed. Our group ate at every restaurant and the food was always good. If you don't want to wait for dinner get there when they open up (normally 5:30), otherwise you could be waiting an hour or more. We went to the french restaurant at 7 and didn't get served until after 8.

Entertainment

I saw two shows, both magic and they were very entertaining. Unlike most resorts where the poolboy is also the chef and soloist, that is not the case here. They have professionals (at least I think they did). Can't comment on the other shows but the ones I saw were quite good. I also played some Texas hold'em and went on a group bike ride into Puerto Moreles and that was fun. My daughter loved the trampolene with the cables. The entertainment team was very nice and always went out of the way to be friendly.

Conclusion

I think this resort is best for the "sun worshipper" or person looking to just relax. I would tell a family with kids to pick a different resort. Nothing wrong with this place just think there are better deals out there. I liked the Grand Bahia and Iberostar as much and they were about $1500 less. Not to get off the subject but the Iberostar is awesome if you have a family with children, there are animals everywhere there: monkeys, flamingos, coatis iguanas, peacocks etc. I don't think I saw one iguana at the Now Jade
One final comment: there are better deals off the resort. Snorkeling booked at the hotel was $65/person if you book it in Puerto Moreles it's $25. A taxi ride to Playa Del Carmen at the hotel is $90 but a taxi driver in Puerto Moreles told me he would take me there for $40.

Hope this helps

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NowJadeRC, Social Media Coordinator at Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Sir / Madam,

On behalf of the entire staff of Now Jade Riviera Cancun and myself, we would like to takethis opportunity to thank you for choosing our Resort, among all other within this destination, to enjoy your recent holidays in Cancun.

We appreciate the time you took to write a review about your recent stay at our resort. All comments are greatly welcome as they enable us to detect, correct and improve of the points mentioned by our dintinguished clientele.

We really hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the near future.

Warmest regards

info.nojrc@nowresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,287)
  • Polish first
Central USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This hotel is not what it appears to be on the website. They give the impression that it is luxurious but I would describe it as an above average all inclusive hotel on the beach. I will give pros and cons.

PROS

1. It is about a 35 minute trip from the airport. The hotel is quiet (even though there is construction next door) and located by a small sleepy town Puerto Morelos.

2. I thought the food variety was good with several different types of restaurants (Japanese, Italian, French and Mexican). Wait staff in all of the restaurants were quite efficient and helpful as well as friendly. They have a great little coffee shop with nice pastries for free.

3. Pool area was nice, clean and wait staff ready to serve drinks. Plenty of towels and lounge chairs (but get one early!)

4. Rooms were spacious and clean. Bathroom shower was really good and the Jacuzzi tub worked fine. Sufficient hot water for me. I did not use the room service so cannot comment. Mini fridge was stocked but did not use it much as I was outside most of the time.

5. Beach was pretty nice. It was clean, plenty of chairs, nice view and great surf. If you walk aways off the beach to the side of the hotel you can find tons of shells! We did our snorkeling over at Xel Ha.

CONS:

1. Some of the front desk people carried an attitude and this is unfortunate. Most were helpful and attentive. Some seemed bothered by my requests so I will give them a B- in this area. One supervisor was reprimanding an employee in front of me in spanish which I speak and understand. This lacked professionalism. Now Jade management needs to give attention to the reception staff.

2. I only went to 1 show and it was cheesy and incredibly loud with a second rate sound system. Buffet that night in the room was good and again the wait staff efficient.

3. Upon entering the lobby has a musty old air conditioning smell. It was a turn off when arriving.

4. They charge for a sorry type of wifi that is super slow. Disappointing.

I do not recommend this hotel and would encourage anyone wanting to go to Cancun for the first time to look elsewhere. It would be worth the extra money to find a better place.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean view
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you very much for your possitive comments, the other has been taken as an opportuniy to improve them. We would like also to advise you that your very valuable information has been shared with the involved departments to apply corrective measures.

Your constructive criticism and your feedback will help us to provide a better quality of service and a sustained level of attentiveness. We assure you that our main aim is not only to meet your expectations, but to exceed them, a factor that we seriously consider to distinguish our Resort from the competition.

We really hope, that you will give us once more the chance to host you as our esteemed guest in the near future.

Warmest regards

Vancouver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at Now Jade for a week during spring break. The hotel is lovely, the pools and beaches are great and the food was very good but lacked authentic Mexican food. The Kids Club staff were great and my daughter had a great time with them. The evening shows were very resort typical, great for the kids, a little cliche for the adults. Resort staff, front desk, housekeeping, waiters, kids club, groundskeepers were very friendly and helpful.

We stayed in two different rooms, both garden view with hugely different experiences. The first room was on the first floor and disability accessible (very good across the resort) but lacked a tub and the view was pretty much non-existent. The deck looked out over the swamp and you could clearly smell the swamp in the early part of the day, in the evening there was a high pitch sound from a light standard that made the deck unusable. Our second room was on the third floor with a huge tub and some ocean view. The room was an interior room that overlooked the resort and gardens. The beds in the second room were a little saggy but overall comfortable. Housekeeping kept our suite well stocked and clean. The deck was nice and had morning sun but lacked the privacy of the earlier exterior room.

The pools were quite busy and we were often lacking a lounge chair and sometimes even a towel. Early lunchers often gave up their seats around 11:30 so for us late risers it wasn't too bad. The beach is very rocky at the north end but at the main pool area it was soft and safe. The waves were quite rough but warm. The beach is federal and runs for miles to the south so lots of good walking opportunities. There is also a 24 hour laundromat at the marina to the north in case of laundry emergencies.

I'd stay with Now Jade again but I'm really more likely to visit new places rather than returning to Cancun. Don't get roped into spending 3 hours of your vacation on a tour and vacation club pitch regardless of the freebees.

Room Tip: Ask for an internal resort room on an upper floor.
Dear Sir / Madam,

We appreciate very much your feedback, which helps us to continue improving our facilities and services. We wish to have the privilege to welcome you again in the near future.

Most sincerely,

Carbondale, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

This is what Apple vacations calls a "six golden apple resort". I can't imagine what a four red apple resort would be like, I doubt that I would want to stay there. Upon arrival, we were offered a credit toward a tour if we attended a presentation on their vacation club. We agreed, and were shown the nicer rooms for which we would have had access if we were members of their club. This was followed by a high pressure sales pitch culminating in the salesman offering us a one time super discount (just for us) of over thirty thousand dollars off the regular price! We respectfully declined.

The resort is clean and appears to be well maintained. The first room we were given was small with no bathtub, and the balcony was adjacent to the next room's balcony in a way that made privacy impossible. The room also had very strong gasoline odor. After complaining, we were given a room on the south side that overlooked a construction site. The beds are either poor quality or worn out, and each queen size bed has only two tiny pillows. The safe was broken, so I called the front desk and was told someone would be right up to look at it. I waited an hour and a half and finally gave up. The bathroom was the best part of the room, huge with a beautiful shower and whirlpool tub.

There are more than six restaurants, and at least that many bars if you read the description of the resort. The truth is, almost all the restaurants surround a central kitchen, so they are really just separate serving areas. With the exception of the Asian restaurant, the restaurants are void of decoration except for some odd wall hangings, and the lighting made me want to eat and leave. Even though there are multiple cuisines available, I found the food in each restaurant to be remarkably similar, and the desirability of the food seemed to be inversely proportional to the length of stay. The bars should really be called concession stands, since they are little more than that. They do feature premium liquor, but they have no premium beer.

The beach is very busy and I found no relaxation there at all, but I'm not a beach person. My wife and son both liked it. I'm pretty sure I had a mild case of food poisoning from the ceviche on the second day, and I found myself drinking out of boredom on the third day. Fortunately, we scheduled fishing and tours on days four and five so we were able to get away from the place for a while. Puerto Morelos is just down the road, but it's still a twenty dollar round trip by cab. Any other destinations are much more expensive.

This is probably a great place for families, since there are plenty of activities throughout the day for kids, but for me, I'll take a hotel every time.

Dear Sir,

We sincerely regret that despite our effords we were not able to totally fulfilled your expectations. We have taken duly notice of the several comments you may regarding your recent stay.

Most sincerely,

Bend, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Just returned from a week stay at the Now Jade Resort. This was my tenth trip to an all inclusive so have a lot of experience with this type of vacation. We started selecting this type of vacation when we travel for spring break with kids. The kids love the independence they have in this kind of resort. The resort pool and beach are really nice. A great layout with pleanty of chairs even during a very busy spring break week. The entertainment staff was great and made an effort to get people involved in various activities offered all day. Wait staff around the pool was terrific.
The food was average but don't expect fine dining at this type of resort. The guestrooms have a interesting layout with windows in the shower and bathtub. This makes the room selection very important. Be sure to reguest a high floor, and avoidany room facing the new construction going on next door. It is amazing that with the construction going on you really have no idea when you are in the resort except if you have a room facing it. The resort also has no wrist bands, reservations, and dining checks to sign. These are all very important aspects of the all inclusive vacation. Overall it was a very fun week and I would return to the Now Jade Resort.

Room Tip: Avoid any room facing the new construction.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

I really, really wish I could say this hotel was fantastic. They are so close to being perfect but for a few disappointing items that take them from 5 to 4 stars. If they fixed these few items they could be up in the 5 star league with the Fairmonts, Ritz's and others. If only they would make the effort to fix them...!

So lets start with the good things -

We traveled to Now Jade for spring break with our 5 children aged 12 to 17. We had two rooms in the Preferred Club section of the hotel facing the adults-only pool and the ocean beyond. We stayed for 10 days and had a fantastic time.

The location is great if you are looking for quiet and somewhat remote. Far enough from the characterless Cancun hotel strip but close to the lovely little fishing village of Puerto Morelos. The hotel transfer is about 25 minutes from Cancun Airport and taxis are readily available at a reasonable cost to do the trip (Note: taxis are very safe and regulated so the price is set for travel between particular destinations). The hotel is a 5 minute or 100 peso taxi from Puerto Morelos (or about a 20 minute walk) which has various amenities including pharmacies, groceries, restaurants, souvenirs, dive/snorkeling outfitters and deep sea fishing outfitters. We made several trips into the town as it was nice to get out of the resort and mingle with the residents of Puerto Morelos plus do some of the activities available there.

The beach at the hotel is great. Sugary white sand with very few rocks and great for long walks in the morning or evening. The beach itself is kept very clean by the hotel staff and has enough surf to entertain the kids but not too rocky or wild to make it a hazard. Ignore the advertisement that there is snorkeling here. There is no snorkeling - I tried! You need to go into Puerto Morelos and book a snorkeling tour out to the reef (about $30 per person for a two hour trip). The hotel also advertised boogie boards which also were non-existent. Bring your own or pick one up in Cancun. My only complaint about the beach is the hotel chairs are old and actually somewhat of a hazard. The hotel should spend a few pesos and replace them before somewhat gets hurt. Also, towels are rarely replaced (and clean towels unavailable) and dirty drink glasses sit for hours without being picked up. Drinks service on the beach was slow and not particularly attentive - better off getting up and getting it yourself. Other than that, a great, clean beach.

As for the hotel itself, it is lovely. Great layout, great restaurants, super-friendly staff. We were surprised at how good the food was on a consistent basis. Also lots of selection between a French, Italian, Asian and Mexican restaurant as well as the buffet restaurant which offered a selection of everything. We often remarked how good the food was - definitely a notch above standard all-inclusive dining and often had trouble deciding amongst the restaurants due to the quality of food at each one. Also, service was for the most part excellent. Several staff members would remember our orders from one day to the next, learned our names and made the effort to ask where we were from and how we were enjoying our holiday. At the end of 10 days we felt like we had made a number of good friends with the serving staff and actually bid a tearful goodbye to several of them.

So here are the complaints: Pool water too cold (hence my lack of review of the pool area - we hardly used it) shower goes suddenly hot then suddenly cold, worn out and somewhat smelly linen on the beds, worn out and frayed linen on the tables (please throw them out and invest in new ones!), lack of available coffee (coffee was only available in a coffee bar with a line-up or by sitting down at a table - why not have a coffee dispenser/urn in the buffet so guests can help themselves rather than constantly having to ask a server for a refill?). See comment above regarding lack of towels and poor quality lounges at the beach and lack of advertised water activities. Lack of replacement soap and toiletries in the rooms. Often had to ask for more towels and replacements for used towels. Very small beds, even in the Preferred section rooms (definitely double - not queen).

If Now Jade fixed these few problems this hotel would go from a 4+ star to a 5 in my opinion. I would love to see this as I really liked the hotel and staff. Hopefully with a few minor changes they will make it happen!

Room Tip: We opted for the "preferred room" although all rooms seemed to good,
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was a nice hotel with decent service but the location is awful there is major construction going on next door it is really loud all through the day and night, I also heard through put the hotel that the construction workers were breaking into rooms at night, there were a decent amount of children that traveled with us and the hotel really didn't provide much for them to do, It seems that this hotel attracts a older crowed every one there was in mid 50's or early 60's, if your a drinker as most in our group were there are 0 late night activities the hotel is practically shut down after midnight and there was no bars open late, the food was nothing spectacular, I am completely clueless on how this is a 6 golden apple hotel I will be going else where for our next trip

• Stayed March 2013

Been to Now Jade Riviera Cancun Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!