“Best value you are going to find in Riveria Maya” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Coral & Turquesa

You added Ocean Coral & Turquesa to your Saves list
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   S.S. 12, Mza 15, Lote 1-02, 103 | Predio Maria Irene, Puerto Morelos 77511, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Grand Blanc, Michigan
“Best value you are going to find in Riveria Maya”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

We recently returned from Ocean Coral / Turquesa and stayed here based the size of our family and balanced against trip advisor reviews. As all who travel with a family larger than 4 will agree, travel packages are generally geared to 4 so those with larger families struggle to find reasonably priced accommodations. Ocean Coral was the best value possible as suites are available for considerably less than the competition. We chose to upgrade to "privelege" status - recommended - which even with this extra cost was still considerably cheaper that any other resort. The privelege area also includes it's own pool area which is quieter than the other 3 pool areas - all of which are beautiful. Some have posted complaints about the beach here. The beach here is no different than any other beach in this area (south of Cancun to north of Tulum). The "sea weed" which is the subject of complaints is really just seagrass - not objectionable as it is more like a soft straw that what people generally think of with the term "sea weed". The reason for this is that most of the coast between Cancun and Tulum is protected by a coral reef (generally a major reason visitors are attracted here by the way) which reduces a level of the surf which is what keeps the seagrass in check in other areas. Most of the hotels have sweepers and constantly clean the beaches to minimize this. In general, if you are looking for calm waters and world class snorkeling and diving, this is your place and Ocean Coral / Turquesa is a great value. If you are looking for prestine beaches and surf, you may want to look to an area not protected by a coral reef.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,436)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

We had a great time at Ocean Coral/Turquesa and have no idea why people are complaining!! Too many people expect the Ritz, but pay for Motel 6!!! Realize you are in Mexico (different customs, food, etc) and just because they call a resort 4/5 star that it won't be the same as USA, Canada, Europe, etc. Look at all that you are getting…..great room, beach, ocean, pool, entertainment….then top that off with FREE food and FREE drinks all day and night!! Where in the world can you get all that for the LOW price you paid? Research before you go and you should have no surprises when you get there!

We found one of THE BEST deals we have ever found in our dozen times to this area over the past 15 yrs. We were in a Royal Master Suite which included the privilege service. The whole privilege thing gets debated to death on the forums, but I wouldn't have done it any other way. It was ABSOLUTELY worth it to us for these reasons: the very large two room suite, ocean front, the privilege lounge (very easily booked all our restaurant reservations, free internet---we really needed that daily for unavoidable reasons, ala carte breakfast and dinner, snack items there all day, the BEST drinks on the property, most helpful staff), great special beach area with beach beds, dvd player brought to room. I'm sure I'm missing one or two other things!! We were in and out of the privilege lounge many times each day!

I think if you got it you loved it, if you didn't….you come back saying that you don't see the need. I would have only paid the extra $$ for it once I got there if I got a super deal! Try and get the privilege deal before you leave, that's the best option! We paid less per night then what we usually pay for just one room, then top on the 2 room suite and all the other extras!!! I wouldn't have paid a ton for it, but if you can get a really good deal I would definitely go privilege! Or if you like the extra's and can justify the cost….go for it, it's well worth it!!

Our room was in bldg one first floor and we loved the location for allot of reasons. Yes, there were hedges that you can't walk thru but we could still see the ocean while we read on the patio! The Royal Master Suite was the BEST room(s) we have ever been in….tons of space. I have a pic that I had to post, it shows the door into the room, then the first door to your left is the 1/2 bath, the second door to your left is a small room (microwave/coffee maker) with a couple of shelves. It also has a microwave (bring popcorn!) and a coffee maker. My daughters used this as their "closet" and it worked out great! The pool right next to the bldg was our favorite, quiet and not allot of noise/action (our teen daughters loved this pool!). There was a snack grill there also. Then the privilege lounge was right next to the other side of the pool (bldg 7). This is where we spent the majority of our time so our bldg was close to the pool and the privilege lounge. We never felt like we walked much at all! We love smaller resorts and this gave us the feel of it being smaller since we spent 90% of our time in this area. We loved all the special extra's; if you don't or don't care, then don't spend the extra money!!!

We ate at the Asian, Mexican and Seaside grill and enjoyed all of them. We also ate at the buffet a couple of times and always found something we liked. Really guys…..again, how much did you pay for a night here. If I were paying $75+ for a dinner (what a 4 star in US might cost!) then I would have a problem. The food is just fine and you can always find something to enjoy. You don't like it, get something else. Want more….order more! Don't like your drink….go to a different bar! Is it that hard to figure this out?! And don't expect premium alcohol if you didn't pay for it!!!

Couple of more things some have brought up. Never felt like we walked too much. The resort is large but nicely laid out. The pool and beach were right next to each other so you could hop back and forth easily. The beach is wide with wonderful white sand and yes it does have seaweed, but they rack it up daily. Seaweed is a fact of life in this area with the reef being 5 minutes from shore. It means that the reef is healthy! Read up here and know it is there….don't come back complaining about it!! The water was a little less "crystal blue" when we were there, but it's not always like this (been to the area before). Remember you can't control nature!

Did we have any "issues", well of course, like at any other resort or hotel. Definitely not any deal breakers! Electricity flickered off a night or two for a few minutes, daughter was still hungry after her main course (we ordered more!), went to get a dry beach towel one day and they were out (oh well, mine really wasn’t that wet), didn't like a drink I got (didn't drink it and went to a different bartender), maid forgot extra t.p. once (I called and got more!), maid came late one day (who cares! When she got there I said just give me more towels…..are you kidding me….who needs a maid everyday…pull up the covers on your own bed!). I could go on and on, but you get my drift….the things some people complain about and let them ruin their vacation is really ridiculous!!!

I have to mention also that my daughter had an earache. We called the resort doctor and she came promptly to help and was wonderful. She continued to check her throughout the trip with no additional charge. The resort took care of getting the prescription and it really wasn't that much. The bellboy even delivered it to our room. This was awesome service by a resort that I was not expecting!

Oh, almost forgot…..go to the wonderful town of Puerto Morelos. There are so many great restaurants and a little bit of shopping. You can find all the souvenirs that you need, go to the Handcraft market it's great! The water here is so crystal blue and the snorkeling from the town is half the price it is at the OCT.

The people at OCT were great and always ready to help you. Gabriella, the guest svc mgr, is absolutely wonderful and OCT is very blessed to have her!! She really made our vacation and was one of the reasons I selected this hotel. She was always on Tripadvisor answering questions and helping people. We put in our room/bldg request, she said she would try her best and she did!! We had a wonderful time and wouldn't hesitate to go back! Don't worry about all the complainers, they go with too high expectations (not paying for what they expect either!!) and then they let every little tiny thing upset them!!! If you have any issues, talk to someone on staff and they will help!

Go, enjoy and quit reading the nasty reviews! Please PM me if you have any questions, it's my turn to help others like people did for me!!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

The hotel itself is really beautiful. HOWEVER, the service is AWFUL. The service is much better, if you upgrade to the privelege package. If you don't do this- don't even bother going to the resort. You have to be upgraded to make reservations at resaurants. If you don't have a reservation- expect to wait about two hours to eat anywhere except the buffett. Also, the seaweed on the beach is just as bad as everyone says. The rooms were nice. HOWEVER, the bed is really pretty bad- and my husband and I are not too picky. The food at the buffett and resaurants were hit and miss. If you go, be sure and see the show at the Asian esaurant. Overall, I would not send a friend here.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We were pleasantly suprised at with our stay at the Ocean Coral. The facilities were modern and slightly upscale. Everything was clean. Everything worked in our room, and it was also very clean. Special thanks to our housekeeper, Ceceila, who we ask to teach us a little Spanish while she cleaned our room. She was very sweet. Our bar-tenders were very attentive, as were the wait staff in the resturants.

The beaches were ok, this part of the coast is not as beautiful as Cozumel. The Ocean had good sand though and nice beach paylapas, as well as good furniture around the pools and on the beach.

We were not hassled by timeshare salespeople at the Ocean, although tey were there. However we were badly hassled by a very friendly time share lady at Hertz car rental. She took us for $60.00. Shame on Hertz for letting her pose as a Hertz employee. She said Hertz sent her to help us, but then hard closed us on a time share scam.

The Ocean was very nice and the staff were very friendly and accomodating.
It was a great stay for my wife and I at the Ocean & Torguesa.
Helpful hint, the staff really appreciates small tips in us dollars. Also, the non-buffett resturants are worth the wait or reservation, they have excellent food. The non reservation bufett is ok, Breakfast was always good.
The spa is really first class, and may be the best feature of the hotel. Great indoor pool at the spa.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

Beautiful resort. Good food. Poor bartender and restaurant service. The waiters and bartenders are over worked and need additional help. The pool bar is especially in need of more bartenders. Hundreds of people enjoying the pool and only 1 or 2 were ever there. You had to always wait for a drink and just forget about trying to get a drink there at night. Remember to bring your Bubba Keg or Tervis because you will need it. The restaurants were good but once again had slow service because of the lack of servers. The buffets were always fresh and out of 9 people on our trip, no one got sick. The resort was beautiful and clean. The Broadway show was extremely lame and I felt sorry for the employees who were put in the position of lip syncing the music. My advice to the resort is to find real singers and dancers to come in and put on a quality show once a week. I would recommend this hotel but hope they hire more service personnel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
ny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

We are seasoned travelers who have stayed at the finest hotels. We are taking a long trip to Asia in November and were looking for an economical beach vacation. I came across OCT and because of the esthetics of the resort, booked it. If you do not come with expectations that you are staying at a Four Seasons you will not be disappointed.

The common areas are decorated beautifully in a "mod" style with great colors, fixtures and furniture. The grounds are kept impeccably and the pools are beautiful and clean. We were not going for a culinary experience and the grounds were most important for us.
Our room was clean, large, and well appointed. The air-con worked great! Our mini fridge worked well. The rooms did have a musty smell but that is true of the finest hotels in Mexico. We were given a dehumidifier for the room and brought some room freshener with us, so it was no problem. The shower was great with plenty of hot water.

As for the beach, the location by the reef makes for dark green water, not your typical blue-green of the caribbean. This is the ONLY place on the website that was not accurate. There is a lot of sea grass in the water but it is no fault of the hotel. If a pristine beach is of utmost importance to you, then this is not the hotel for you. The pools were beautiful and spotless. The activities staff was engaging and provided many activities but were not pushy at all. ( I could have done without the beer drinking contests which brought down the resort to a different level at 4pm each day- lucky there was a "quiet pool to move to". )

As for the food, well all I can say was that one should consider it sustenance. Firstly, they cannot get it right as far as accomodating the guests, no less privileged vs. non-privileged. Numerous tables sit empty for hours on end while there is a line for all the restaurants. They honor reservations for the privilege guests and then seat the other guests in a disorganized manner. You may show up at 7 and not get seated until 9pm. If you don't mind getting to dinner by 6:30 you should have no problem...but, hey, this is vacation and who wants to rush just to get a seat for mediocre food!

You can always find grilled fish for lunch (mahi, tuna, grouper, salmon) and most dinners. You just have to know what to look for. The Asian restaurant is very good with a nice fresh hibachi dinner of rice, veggie, beef, chicken and shrimp. The steak and seafood restaurant if fair, and the crepe restaurant is good (great desert crepe!). Just DON'T go to the Italian restaurant. The food was inedible.

So overall, if you want a resort with beautiful grounds and pool and understand that you are not going for a culinary experience, then you can't get better value than the ocean coral and turquesa.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2010

The hotel was very understaffed and management was no help on any problems
we had. The reviews that state you feel like a second class traveler were accurate. The restaurants were impossible to get into unless you paid for the "privilege" package so you end up in the buffet. The beach was a nightmare as well loads of sea grass just pile up along the shore and a tractor sweeps it all day long. My wife and I have stayed at six all inclusive resorts along the coast and this was the worst. It may be a bargain but you will get what you pay for. We switched rooms and management locked our possessions in their safe until the room was cleaned but forgot to tell the second shift and they refused to open it and get our money and passports out. My wife was in tears over that experience. The air conditioning is wired to a motion senser that will shut off at night so be prepared for that. Travelers be warned!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!