“Good for Families” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Coral & Turquesa

You added Ocean Coral & Turquesa to your Saves list
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   S.S. 12, Mza 15, Lote 1-02, 103 | Predio Maria Irene, Puerto Morelos 77511, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Good for Families”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

My wife and I, along with our 2 kids (11 and 9), spent spring break here. My wife and I have been to the Riviera Maya 6-8 times. The last 4 times we stayed at adults only resorts including 2 Excellences and the Royal. We have also stayed at the RIU palace and Iberostar Tucan in Playa. This resort falls right in between the RiU and Iberostar (both "family-type" resorts) and the nice adults only resorts. The buildings and landscaping are newer and nice. The room looks nice, but some little things kept it from feeling so nice. The bed was pretty firm, the pull out couch where the kids slept was horribly uncomfortable, the balcony door lock was broken, and the shower leaked. Housekeeping took a long time if we needed extra towels, which we often did because they would usually only leave 2 (even though we requested extra).

The food was ok. The Italian and Mexican restaurants were pretty good.

I understand that we were there on the first week that the reservation system changed. We did not need to make reservations during the day. We just walked up to restaraunts and put our name in. We were then given a buzzer and went to wait. There seemed to be far to few servers and staff, as there were often empty tables and a wait of more than 1 hour. Also, the dress code is bizarre. At the Italian restaraunt, I saw a hostess turn away a woman because she had plastic on her sandals. The woman was very well dressed. They were very insistant that there be no plastic on sandals. Very wierd.

Our kids had a great time. This is not the nicest place in the area by a longshot, but I don't want my kids to know that there is anywhere nicer than this. That gets expectations too high. They thought the hotel was great and we had a fun time.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,454)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
MD - USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

This was probably my 15th trip to Riviera Maya but my first time in PM. This was my third with the kids in the last 3 years. It was myself, my wife, daughter 10, and son 8. We booked a Royal Master Suite for 7 nights 4/6 - 4/13 directly through the H10 website. I emailed Gabriella in advance and requested some things. I got a prompt response.

As soon as we got to the resort they checked our name and took our bags and walked us directly to the privileged desk. The offered us drinks and began check in. While one person took care of the money and paperwork another went over the map with us detailing locations and services. Gabriella came over to say hello and check on us (class act doing that as well as her posts on this site). At the end the woman informing us offered us the breakfast which I declined and got a second push and declined. It never came up again. I knew from this post what it was so no worries. We were then introduced to our butler who walked us to our room. Along the way he pointed out things and gave us a nice quick tour. When we got to our room he showed us how everything worked and made sure that we were happy. He asked us what time we would like our room cleaned daily and if we wanted to try to get dinner reservations for that night. We declined to just do the buffet.

Our room was amazing. The pictures look nice but do not do it justice. The room was huge. We were in 1208 which is the 2nd floor left middle of building 1. The view was perfect and I could have thrown a wiffle ball over the beach in the water. We had a double balcony with a 2 person jacuzzi, a shower, 2 longe chairs, and a table and 2 chairs. It had a wall but was lowered between posts and had a rail to help the view while sitting. We had a full living room with a TV, pull out soffa, 2 side chairs, a desk, and a table with 2 chairs. This room also had a half batch and an enclosed microwave and coffee area. From that room through a large frosted slider was our bedroom which had a huge sitting area with a sofa and loveseat, our king size bed, side tables, a tv, and a bench all nicely appointed. The bathroom was behind all of that with closets and the safe. The bathroom was huge. It had double sinks, a tub, a shower with a frosted door and toilet with a frosted door. The shower did not leak and had a marble strip along the door so it could not. There was a window into the bedroom but there were curtains in the bedroom and harmonica shade in the bathroom. Privacy was not an issue. There was a hat and a tee shirt for each of the kids set up on the pull out for them. There was some fruit and champagne set up on the table for the wife and I. Everything in the room worked well. We got turndown service everynight which included a card with the next days forecast and a candy as well as beach towell exchange. This was the best room / suite that i have ever had anywhere. The only thing that I did not like but tha was tollerable was the motion detectors turning off the power when you were asleep. My kids get a little scared in the dark and the place gets dark. It also turns off the fans which can make the room hot. There was never any musty smell or foul oder in our room or anywhere in the restort.

It was a holiday week and the resort was fool. The first day I tried to get pool chairs at 8am and there was not a chair left at any pool. I played the game the nbext few days and had no issue. As occupency fell through the week it got better and you could get chairs at 9am. The pool chairs are nice. About half of them have a lift at your knees which is nice. The pool umbrellas are junk and most of them are broken which makes them sit how they want and not where you want. It is not a huge deal but a weakness. We spent days at every pool other than the kids pool. We ended up liking the quet pool between buildings 1 and 7. Drink service at all of the pools was fantastic and the best I have ever seen in any resort! We tipped but some others did not and still got great service. The pools were clean at all times.

We did not spend a ton of time on the beach. I hate to say it but the seaweed is an issue. It is not thier fault and they work so hard to correct it but it is a ton. They can fix what is on the beach but not what is in the water. I walked the beach in both directions and it is an issue all along this strech. I think that it is because the reef is so close. The entire beach has good drink service as well but the privileged area on the beach was amazing. You could not save chairs there and there was a beach boy who ran everything the chairs there were great and as soon as he sat you he brought you an iced bucket of bottled water and made sure it had ice all day. He also got you whatever else you wanted to drink. Nice touch.

Buffet - Food was average to slightly above average. Drink service was poor. You typically got one drink when you sat down and that was it. I consider this about the same as most other similar rated resorts. We did not eat there a ton.
Villa Marina - Food was good. I had a ribeye which was cooked as ordered but fatty. My wife had skewers which were good. I dont recall what the kids had. This menu is limited unless you want to pay for things. There are a bunch of upcharge items on this menu. Service was good
Italian - Hostess could have been nicer. Portions are small so order 2 -3 courses. Service was good but they forgot one of my courses. I moved on. I had the Osso Bucco which was very fatty. Otherwise food was good.
Aisan - There were two chefs at the show. One was good and one was awful. We got the awful one. He was nice and I actually felt bad for him. We had fun. Meal was ok but nothing special.
Fusion - With the privilege package my fife and I both had the lobster. It was a good size and well prepared. The portions here are small also. The service was fantastic. The view is perfect.
Mike's - Nice little play that family enjoyed more than me. Subs in the daytime were good but needed more meat. The place is a nice touch.
Sports Bar - We never ate there but I took the kids in for a milkshake one night. They were not impressed.
Pool snack bars - They were ok. Mostly fried foods and burgers and dogs. These could use improved menu's but what they had was good if it was what you like.
Room Service - We did breakfast in our room the last day. They brought a feast on time and it was fantastic.

The privileged lounge was something that I did not expect to use other than for internet service. I was wrong. This is the best bar in the place. Great drinks. They put out appatiesers everyafternoon through night time and they are good. The breakfast served there was great and we wished we had gone sooner. It is compfortable and has great view both indoors and outdoors. It was close to our pool too so we would go in and out for food durring the afternoon. It was great for me because I could run in from the pool and check on the Masters there as well. I made all of my dinner reservations here as well and it was quick and easy. They do whatever they can here to make you happy.

The lobby area was nice and perfectly kept. We were beat and most nights were back in the room by 9pm.

Overall I was impressed with this place. The only real weaknesses I could see were the seaweed, the service in the buffet, and the menu's at the snack bars. The only one that was a big deal to us was the seaweed. I think that we may feel differently if we had not gone privileged.

I am not sure what people are complaining about. The place was very nice and the staff accomidating. Dont get me wrong, it is not perfect but they do a great job overall. For what this cost if you expected more you need to lower your expectations. If you can not increase your budget and go stay at the Maroma.

Would I go back? For a similar deal i think that I would. The seaweed may deter me a little. The resort grew on me while I was there and I dont know why. I did not love it at first but I did not know why. By the end I loved it. It was smaller than most other places we have stayed but not small.

I loved the town of PM. Nice and not over crowded like Cancun or Playa. No one begging you to buy. A normal pace walk takes about an hour. Check out my reviews of Crococun Zoo, Pelicanos, and USA transfers for other info. We also did snorkeling with Ceaser which you can read up on in the PM forums. It was great!

New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

Our group of 20 that included 5 families with kids from 1 1/2 to 13 years old just returned from an amazing week of fun in the sun.
I need to start this review by commending Gabriella, the Customer Service Manager who went out of her way to ensure that our stay was perfect! I had communicated with her over a dozen times prior to our arrival to make arrangements for childcare, restaurant reservations and room requests. It was such a pleasure to work with someone who not only truly loves what she does, but keeps her word as well.
Rooms:
We stayed in room 9407 that had a great view of the pool with the swim up bar and ocean. Our room actually was a joining room to one of the families that we traveled with. Our room had 2 double beds, queen sleeper and was perfect for our family of 4. There was a mini fridge that was stocked daily with bottles of water and soda. We did tip the maid everyday and left a few chocolate bars too. The bathroom situation was not as bad as some have commented with the privacy issue, but the water running out of the shower to the toilet area did get annoying. The electric in the room is motion sensitive, the AC and fan will turn off during the nigh if there is no movement. My wife had an issue with the lack of dresser space, there is closet space but not one drawer to put clothing. Other then that the room was big and spacious and satisfied our needs.
Pools:
The chair saving was in full swing if you did not get out there by 7am you had no chair! There are 4 pools situated within each of the 4 horseshoes that make up the resort layout. Facing the ocean beginning from the left is the kids pool with the kids club, pool bar and snack stand. The next pool is the main activity pool where most of the poolside games take place. The activity staff is situated in a hut to hand out towels, games and other sporting games. There is a snack bar restaurant in the area where you can eat at tables or grab the food and take back to poolside. The next pool is the pool that has the swim up bar and smaller activities hut, but they do some fun stuff there as well. The last pool is in the privilege section, this would be referred to as the quiet pool. There is a snack bar that turns into the Crepe restaurant at night.
Beach:
The beach was beautiful, white sand and blue water for miles. Yes, there was seaweed, they did clean the beach all day and had tractor that swept it away at least once a day. There were plenty of huts on the beach but the chair game was going on at the beach as well.
Food:
We all thought that there was plenty of food and choices to go around. The buffet did have some lines during the peak hours which got a little annoying. If you were poolside and wanted to eat at the buffet they did turn you away if you were wet from the pool. We all agreed that the Japanese Hibachi was the best! The show that they put on was fun for both the kids and adults and the food was delicious. The Italian was ok, not that many choices on the menu. We ate at the Mexican 2 nights and really enjoyed that too. Mike's coffee house was a hit anytime of the day for coffee, lattés, cappuccino, pastries and sweets. The Sports bar had a pub style menu with a Mexican flair and the kids really enjoyed the milkshakes. We only had dessert at the Crepe restaurant and how could you go wrong with fruit and chocolate!!!
All in all the food was good, a few of us had some issues with how the food made us feel but nothing that would ruin your day!
Entertainment Activities and Staff:
We had worked out childcare with the staff prior to our arrival for the infant and it was perfect. Alcia and Gustavo from the entertainment staff were very helpful and took care of our little ones needs. The daily activities crew are great, Juan, Pollo, Roxy, Alan are just a few of those that really take the time to make your stay fun. From water aerobics, to pool volleyball their energy never dies. There was karoke, dj's bands, beach party, and ball room dancing in the evenings. The staff in general was happy to help in any way that they can! I can honestly say that the staff made our vacation that much more enjoyable!
Our group agreed this was one of the best vacations that we ever had. I have been to many all inclusive before in the Caribbean and Mexico, there was something about the OCT that put them above the rest. Can’t wait to go back !!!

Southern IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I'll start by saying I'm not going to go over things that have been covered by other reviews. I would like to debunk some of the things said, some people are impossible to please. We booked through our travel agent and requested a room on the second or third floor. This one request went unfullfilled, we were on the first floor. We had our two kids, ages 4 & 7, so it was more of a security factor I was worried about. That being said, we had no problems. Also, there was no bad smell, which I was expecting after reading reviews.

So, we get there and check in throught the privilege desk, which goes very smooth, except the first floor thing. They tried to set up the timeshare breakfast, which we declined, no problems. This next part is very important: PURCHASE THE PRIVILEGE UPGRADE. For us, it was an extra $200 for 4 people for 5 nights. The reservation thing alone is worth it. The longe is nice too, with 2 computers with free internet access. If you like to drink, you get access to all the top shelf stuff, no questions asked (Don Julio, Bombay Saphire, Frangelica, DeSoranno, Crown Royal, and much, much more).

We sent our kids to the Daisy Club every day for at least a little bit. They had a good time, did crafts, swam in the kid pool, went to the beach, had lunch. There was very little info on here about it, so I wasn't sure, but it was fine. I think the hours were 9:30 to 4:30. They also made a pinata that they broke on the friday night Mexican Festival by the waterfall.

The place was styled more European than Mexican, with ocasional thatch roof thrown in to remind you of where you are. Impeccably landscaped and clean, like most resorts in the area. There wasn't a lot of wildlife or vegitation, some palm trees, a "nature reserve" area, and a few iguanas. The beach was nice, not rough at all, but there was sea weed. The tractors came by several times a day to clean it. The Privilege section was nice, the waiters kept you stocked with drinks and ice. But for swimming, I'd rather go to the pools for this resort.

The Pools were awesome, especially the drunk pool. It had I think 8 stainless steel waterfalls, bubble longe chairs, a swim up bar, and LED light show at night. Watch the plastic grates around the edges of the pools. If you weigh more than 200 lbs, don't step on them, they will break.

I was a little concerned about the bar situation...that we would have to wait for drinks. My longest waits were in the lobby bar, maybe 3 or 4 minutes. The pool bar was surprisingly efficient. There is also a bar in the Crepery during the day by the relaxation pool. All restaurants have bars too. When we were there, most of the bars served can Corona or Medelo.

The rooms were nice. We used the privelege outdoor tub to bath the kids every day, which they loved. The beds were shockingly comfortable for Mexico, not the usual softness of a pool table. We also ordered goose down pillows (another privilege perk). The fridge was restocked daily, no problems with diet coke. They did not ever refill the nuts, I guess that was in the catagory of the liquor...one time only. The fan and AC were on a motion sensor and would shut down after about 10 minutes if there was no movement.

Lastly, the food...a subject my wife and I disagreed on. She loved it, me not so much. It seemed to be more for looks than taste. The Privilege longe breakfast was nice, but took forever. The breakfast buffet was very crowded. Once again, a little too fancy and not enough substance, I often left hungry. For lunch, the 2 outdoor places were nice...good burgers, cheese sticks, fries, hotdogs. The buffet, alright, nothing to write home about. The Mexican, I have to agree was not great. I went with a burrito, the wife went with the usually safe choice of Fajitas...neither were very good. Fusion, the food looked pretty, but that's where it ended. We used the privilege free lobster dinner there. The worst lobster I ever had was fantastic...that being said, I'm glad I didn't spend $42 on it. The fish place was OK, same story...looks are more important than taste. Italian was a surprise. I read reviews and talked to people at the resort that said it was aweful. I thought it was the best place. I had filet medallions and they were really good. The Japanese was good, as everybody has said. But we got there on a monday and left on saturday. Even with privilege, the best reservation we could get (from day 1) was friday at 9pm. Book it as soon as you can. All in all, I expected to gain a few pounds, but I doubt I did.

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

My husband and I travelled to OCT from March 14 to 21 to celebrate my 40th birthday. We travel to the Carribean or Mexico about two times a year and know what we like. We like a resort that is reasonably priced but that gives you a wide range of ammenities and above average service. We got all this and more from OCT.

The location, in our opinion is perfect. It is close to the airport so we were on the resort before 11 a.m. You can walk for miles in either direction on the beach and take in the beeautiful surroundings. We did not venture to Puerto Morleos because we had been there before.

We did opt for the Privilege service which we always do when our two young daughters are not with us. It is money well spent - though the deal we got didn't have us spending much more money than a regular room. The room was very nice and we had an ocean view. Each night our butler had a bubble bath waiting for me on our balcony. The concierge was always very helpful as well.

Our room was clean and nicely decorated. We had no problems with the shower. One day the hot tub on the balcony had some problems that affected our neighbors, but I think it was a user error more than anything.

We ate at every restaurant except Mike's and the American Grill. We were very happy with all of them, but our favorites were the creperie and fusion restaurant. By opting for the Privilege package we did not have to wait in lines and always had the choice times for our reservations. Service was very good as well. We had no complaints about dinner taking too long. For breakfast we either went to the buffet or the privilege restaurant. Both were great. AOne morning we got room service and they brought enough food for a family of 4. And there were always many great choices at the lunch buffet.

The pools were wonderful. Having four to pick from each day was a treat. We varied between the pool with the bar and the activities pool. It's true you have to get up very early to get a chair. But I've never been to a resort where this wasn't the case.

I am not a beach person, but loved the beach at OCT. There was shade and someone bringing you drinks. Yes, they were a little slow, but I would be too if I had his job.

We did not go to any of the shows at night - we were usually too tired. But we did enjoy the nightly entertainment in the lobby. It rained on my birthday - St. Patrick's Day - and the entertainment staff tried very hard to keep everybody happy by putting on their version of a St. Pat's party.

The spa was very nice. I received a massage and mini facial and was happy with my service.

Truly, there is very little to complain about. So petty are our complaints that I won't even get into them. My husband and I wanted rest and relaxation and we could have not found a better place that OCT.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
WI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

While the property is VERY beautiful, my partner, 2 children, and I felt incredibly UNDERWHELMED by the service, food, and customer care. When we purchased our vacation, we upgraded immediately to the Privilege to receive the ammenities, especially the express check-in. Granted we were there during the Easter holiday and the place was full-to-capacity, but everything we requested from the beginning was not what we asked for. We received a smoking room with one king-size bed and a fold-out couch. This was immediately brought to their attention but we were told that there were no other rooms available. We took the room for one night and were given another one the next afternoon (after continuous phone calls to various people at the front desk and many complaints). We ended up in a smoking room with two "queen-size" beds. But all the Privilege amenities somehow failed to follow us - there were no beach towels dropped off in the evening, no special shampoos and other toiletries, etc. We had to point that out several times, which finally seemed to sink in the day before we left. By the way, Bookit.com has it wrong - each Privilege room does not have a DVD player. There is a iPod alarm clock, but make sure it is not plugged into the outlet controlled by the sensor. Oh, for you early morning coffee drinkers, good luck. We had a beautiful coffeemaker in our room, but, alas, no coffee pot to go along with it. The coffee served in the lobby was good when there was any left in the pot or cups to drink out of. And trying to get the first cup of coffee in the restaurant was near impossible, let alone a second one. We've been to other resorts in this area and have been spoiled by the delicious food (and large quantity!), but somehow this place missed the mark. The wait for the Sensai restaurant is NOT worth it unless you like to be splattered by grease by the "chef" and listen to him whine in Spanish how he had burnt himself so didn't feel up to cooking. There were lots of smokers all over the place, even by the kids pool! By the way, they might say not to save a chair poolside, but you better get out there early or you'll be stuck without one. And good luck finding a functioning umbrella! We were looking for a place where our young children could play and we could lounge around with a little pampering. This definitely was NOT the place to be!

MONCTON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

First of all before reading this review it important that you know that we are in our mid-40s and brought our 16 year-old daughter with us. We hav ebeen travelling for many years and have going to various Caribbean islands, various spots in Mexico and have cruised for the past five years. And we always choose 4.5 or 5 star establishments as we are very picky.

We were at this resort for two weeks beginning March 26th and were there over Easter. Weather-wise it was perfect - we had rain one evening and that was it. The weather was warm and sunny around 85-90 F each day and evenings were comfortably cooler.

We live in the Maritimes in Canada and flew out from Halifax.

Flight to Cancun - Uneventful - Breakfast on Canjet consists of a banana, yogourt and biscuit in a bag - They did offer us a free glass of sparkling wine before this...Service was okay - nothing to write home about but nothing to complain about Standard airline service but if you are a big breakfast eater stock up on snacks :)

Arrival in Cancun - Passed customs and immigration without any problem. Got our luggage fairly quickly. Proceeded to find our bus - Had to listen to this salesman talk about the tours available, etc.....Finally cut him off and asked where bus was and were directed to our bus.

Bus ride to Hotel - Beer and water were offered with no mention it was for sale at $ 2 per bottle. Guide pleaded for tips upon arriving at hotel and once you were out of the bus, had given tip he mentioned you owed him for the beer at $2 per bottle. No biggie except I found this deceiving and think it should have been announced in bus.

First impressions of the hotel upon arrival - Beautiful lobby with nice vivid colours and great terrace with view onto the pool and ocean. Quite impressive at first glance....

Check-In - Went pretty smoothly - we were at hotel around 1130-1145 and checked in - our room was not ready but we were not expecting it to be. We were told to return at 1230PM to see if it was ready. They however played dumb with regards to an e-mail we had sent in both English and Spanish regarding obtaining an upper level room and when I insisted I was told 3rd and 4th floor rooms were superior and would cost extra since ocean view. Also tried to push privilege at $35 per person per day on us. We were then met by our "concierge" who in fact in a time share oops excuse me H-10 Vacation Club pusher. She would not give up so we agreed to have breakfast the next morning at 8AM before the VAT presentation..... We returned around 1245PM and got our room assigned, for our pool towels and lock for our safe. We were in room 19205.

Lunch - Villa Marina - Good food, cold drinks....what else can we ask for. Lunch meny was pretty much the same each day with one or two items changing. Problem was flies around the food and birds flying around (They had put owls to discourage them but to no avail ::)) Food was okay here - variety was lacking but there was the main buffet and this was meant for snacks I think so no complaints.

Main buffet - Depending on time when you went and how many patrons there were service went from good to poor. We always waited to be seated and this could take up to 30 minutes. Privilege guests though never had to wait....Food at buffet was good and there was a good variety offered. Wish the service had been more consistent and better. On three occasions we stacked our dirty dishes throughout the meal and self-served our drinks. We were never offered water or coffee.

Japanese - Wish I could comment - They stopped taking reservations on the 2nd or 3rd day we were there and we were told to get there 15-20 minutes before each show to get a seat - that is if privilege had not taken them all....Never got to get a seat at the show tables so we did not go. Heard it was good. Complaint here was that half the tables were empty and people had to wait.

Italian - one hour wait but they give you a beeper so you can wander and come back when your beeper goes off. There again half the tables are empty....Service was okay - not exceptional - Entrees and soups were great. Main course was hit or miss - My duaghter had the lasagna and you needed a magnifying glass to see it in her plate and it was rather bland. My husband opted for the beef fillet - A few leaves of lettuce, half a baked potato and four very thin, very small slices of beef. I had the chicken and had more than I could eat and it was good. Desserts were good.

Mexicain - Here again 45 minutes wait and half the tables were empty. Service was very good. Food was similar to that offered in buffet on Mexican night.

Villa Marina - Steak and seafood - we did this one 3 times. 45 minutes wait each time but worth it. Had the shrimp and beef brochettes, had the steak and had the chicken. Self-serve salad bar, soups were very good, main course was awesome. Stayed away from other pricey items since did not feel the need to order them. Lobster though seemed quite small for $42. Desserts were same as in buffet - somewhat disappointing. Service was hit or miss depending on your waiter. Enjoyed it being outside but they need to do something about the bugs in the salad bar items and the mosquitoes feasting on any exposed skin (with repellent might I add).

Creperie - had the dessert crepes since a whole meal of crepes seemed a bit much - They were good but our local Creperie does it much better

Mikes - The gem of this place - Oh goodness ! Coffee is wonderful - iced, frappe or hot. Morning offers pastries, lunch sandwiches and subs and evening desserts galore..... Sinful and well worth the few steps it takes to get there and Caspar was a wonderful server!!!!!

Score - Sports-Bar and Restaurant - Delicious but very rich milkshakes and excellent chicken wings. I particularly enjoyed the cesar salad with shrimp in it and the other two people in my party had the hamburger and the BLT which were both good. Service was good.

Room Service - We used it once and the order was delivered in the 30 minutes promised and it was correct with the exception of the salad dressing.

Pool Bar - If you are young and wearing a bikini you get awesome service - the older you get the slower the service. Same with other bars.

Pianoless Piano Bar - Nice area in the lobby and also free wifi area(Why pay if you have your computer????) Wi-fi/Internet worked pretty well although we had 3 or4 days where conenctions were unavailable. Drinks are NOT watered down. My biggest problem here was regardless of your age you were able to order alcohol.....'y daughter had trouble getting virgin drinks. Some kids were high on the stuff.....

Pools - All nicely maintained. Chairs are insufficient. Had to get up at 630 to reserve one and same for palapas at beach. Activities were okay but staff annoying to get you to take part in them

Our room - Got the king-sized bed and the sofa bed. The smell of the room - Oh goodness...The comments about it being musty are right....It just assails all your senses.....We had a dehumidifier in our room the whole time and would empty it twice a day and during the night it would stop because it was full. The humidity was never below 52% with it running, and when it would shut off in the middle of the night the humidity would quickly climb up to 72-73%, the air conditioning and the ceiling fan running constantly. Beds are ok on comfort level - Linens were sometimes torn which I found weird for a 5-star hotel. Getting extra pillows, towels and blankets for our room was a bit of a challenge but once we asked for them in Spanish we got them quickly. The balcony provided us with a great view of a palm tree....No partial ocean-view there :( Even standing on one of the chairs we had on our balcony.....

Bathroom What they say about the shower stall leaking into the toilet section and bathroom is also true - Very slippery if you do not think to check as floors are marble....Bathroom very modern and the window did not cause any problems as we figured out a system. Water in shower was never constant and always had a strong smell of sewers or sulfur...Safe in our room was safe. We changed rooms in the middle of our vacation and in moving I lost an earring. I had not even noticed it when security called to tell me the maid had found it and 10 minutes later I had it back. We forgot our computer and camera as well as our cellular phone on the dresser a few times and nothing was ever touched. So those people complaining about being robbed as sadly wrong. None of the personnel we dealt with would have take a penny from you.

Fridge was replenished daily although our requests for Agua mineral con gas were sometimes filled and sometimes not- Hit or miss.

Room was clean. Had issue with ants on bathroom counter and reported it to the front desk - after third mention something was done about it. Deadlock did not work on door - not reported as no biggie. After my huisband landed in the hospital becauise of a severe allergic reaction the hotel offered to change our room to 12405. This room was right next to the lobby and was considered superior. This room was the same layout but with a breathtaking view of the resort, beach and ocean. Same musty smell though. Patio door did not lock - we asked to get it fixed- it worked for about a day or two and then was not fixed for the duration. Deadlock did not work here either. Same problem with shower leaking and water smell and inconsistency.

Beach - Yes there is a lot of seaweed on the beach and we had two windy weeks with lots of storms in the ocean so a lot of seaweed washed up on shore and there was a great amount in the ocean too. The tractor must have passed at least 20 times per day to the point of being annoying - He was not very careful of children or of people walking of laying in his passage - On the last day he missed Kass and I by about 3 inches as we had put our chairs in the water on the beach.....Regardless of the efforts, there was always a lot of seaweed but what can one do it is the sea and seaweed comes from the ocean. However, the beach was not kept very clean - We left empty water bottles on the table of our palapa and people would leave empty bottles and glasses as well as ash containers and they would still be there the next day.

Chair reservations - pool and beach - This was annoying - Had to get up at 630AM or would not have a chair or palapa.....Hotel did enforce the 1 hour rule at the pool for about 2 days during our stay....Otherwise people could reserve a chair and not use it until late afternoon.....Not very fair for those of us who would have like to have a chair at the pool.....

Activities Staff /SPA Personnel - Very very very pushy....they try to get you to participate and do not let up when you politely say no. You have to be very firm and almost rude to get them to leave you alone. SPA people are pushing their services every single day along the pools and beach. Very frustrating - I know where the SPA is and I can read the activities schedule.

Water Sports- There was always a yellow flag out and I still wonder why.....The kayaks were rarely available and we asked about having someone from the resort come with us on the Catamaran - He was asking for $ 12 per person for a 25-30 minute ride. When I mentioned this to the front desk they assured me it was not the policy of the hotel and when I returned to the sports desk I was told it was $ 12 per person - Ridiculous - We never went!

Medical Services on site - Very costly and doctor is not very competent. She prescribed meds for my husband and he ended up in the hospital with an IV and nebulizer within 24 hours.

Check-Out - We asked about keeping our room until 5PM and were told it would be $ 10 per hour which was fine with us and were told to check on the eve of our departure. We were informed they were unable to allow us to remain in our room past check-out time at 12 noon. The front desk manager, Gustavio, came to see us and we explained the situation what with my husband still having hives and all and our not being sure of the reason behind this condition and he offered us a courtesy room which would be clean and available to us for 90 minutes. We booked for 5PM.

We checked out on Friday at noon and had the bellboy pick up our luggage from our room - We had fragile items in our carry-ons and had identified the suitcases and written on them CUIDADO MUY FRAGIL (Careful very fragile). The bell boy took them and when in the lobby I walked over to him to make sure he understood the items were fragile since Serge asked me to make sure and at that point Kassie's backpack tumbled to the ground as did one of our other carry ons and the computer bag. I was rather upset and reminded him to be careful. The luggage was stored in a closed area.

I also had some cream for my daughter that required refrigeration which had cost $ 50. The front desk personnel took the cream to store it. They stored it in the freezer!

At 5PM we went to get the key for the room but it seemed we had been bumped to 530PM and the people due at 5PM had not presented themselves...They entered the room at 515PM and we were not given the key for the room until 545PM. The room was a handicapped on where the toilet, sink and shower were all in one big room with NO doors and the room had NOT been cleaned with all the soiled towels on the floor and no clean towels available. I went back to the front desk and was very insistent upon the room needing to be cleaned.....We were not able to access the room until 615PM. At 630PM there was a knock on the door as they had been given a key to enter the room !!!!!!! Before going for our shower I decided to look into my daughter's backpack to discover a frame she had bought in Puerto Morelos was broken so we brought the issue up at the front desk and were redirected to the head bellboy who told us we were not supposed to put anything fragile in our luggage to be carried by the bellboys. Fortunately we had clearly identified our luggage as fragile so the hotel was responsible. The offered to fix the frame for Kassie and after one of the front desk employees dropped it on the floor once more and it broke into more pieces they attempted to glue it together and pass it back to us. It was Mexican fiesta night and there were artisans at the hotel so the Head BellBoy decided it would be best for everyone to allow my daughter to pick out a frame she liked and they would cover the cost.....

Bus ride to the airport - The person accompanying us to the airport asked for tips for himself and the busdriver since this was not included in our package.....They had done nothing out of the ordinary so I refused to pay anything and our luggage was rudely thrown on the sidewalk....but it gets better......

Check-In Counter CanJet Cancun Airport - It is important that you know I called CanJet before leaving Moncton to clarify our carry-on allowance since it did not seem too clear and I had questions regarding dimensions of the bags (moreso about the size allowed for the purse). The person we spoke too confirmed one personal item and one carry on up to 10kg each. So 3 people, 6 carry-ons, total 60 kg. No problem in Halifax. We proceeded to check-in at CanJet in Cancun - our checked baggage was fine then the attendant asked to weigh out carry on and the total was 59.4 kg and we had 6 pieces...so within the norms right - Well it seems in Mexico you are allowed only ONE carry-one total of 10 kg so we had 'excess" weight of 30 kg.....I got very upset and tried to argue but to no avail - we had to check two bags - one of which contained fragile pottery....we tried explaining in French, English and Spanish but no way were they going to change their minds. I asked for the supervisor who refused to allow us 6 carry ons. Finally we had to check two bags and the attendant felt bad for us I assume as he waived the charges for the excess baggage or it could be because I loudly stated it was all a gimmick to make more money off the back of tourists.The flight was not even full and I would there were about 25-30 seats available and many people walked on with more than one carry-on per person and funnily enough we were allowed to get duty-free and carry that on with no problem!!!!!

The hotel had a lot of problems with their water supply and sewers. The water in our shower smelled horrible most of the time and on our last day none of the toilets worked and the shower pressure was very weak with extremely smelly water. Some of the people travelling with us did not have any water to take their shower!

The hotel is 2 years old and is owned my Spanish interests. Considering the other hotels in the vicinity such as the Excellence, Paradisus and Dreams, I do not consider the Ocean and Coral Turquesa a 5-star hotel as is advertised in the Transat brochure. I would award it a strong 3.5 or weak 4 star rating. Service is sore point with me as it was not consistent - I realize the hotel is very new and they are still ptrobably adjusting however this should be looked at. Also when you consider the hotel is only 2 years old, the wear and tear seems excessive given this information.

I would never return to this hotel, partly because of what happened with my husband but mostly because of the quality of service and the smell in the rooms....Goodness we have yet figured out how to get the smell from our suitcases !!!!!!

Next trip we will be cruising :)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!