“Our group liked this hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Coral & Turquesa

You added Ocean Coral & Turquesa to your Saves list
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   S.S. 12, Mza 15, Lote 1-02 | 103 Predio María Irene, Puerto Morelos 77511, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
East coast
“Our group liked this hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at Ocean Coral and Turquesa Resort with a group of 13 other people. These were older adults, several in their early 20's, and teenagers too.

We stayed in a privilege room, while the rest of the group were in regular rooms. Paying for a privilege room has advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage is that the Jacuzzi on the patio was really only big enough for one person. Two would have been squished. And you had to fill it up each time you wanted to use it.

When we tried to make a reservation for our group, they would only reserve a table for the 2 of us in the privilege room, and not for anybody in our group who was in a regular room. That was both a surprise and a disappointment.

We noticed that the miniature liquor bottles in the mini fridge were not restocked every day. And there was a serious lack of towel racks and/or hooks to hang towels in the bathroom.

Most of the advantages were not things we absolutely needed, but were nice. For example, the top shelf liquor was good, but the regular liquor had equally good brands to chose from. And it was nice not having to have a towel card, but it wasn't worth the extra price, by itself.

We did use the pillow menu to get softer pillows. But we hardly used the butler service at all. Using the privilege desk for checking in probably avoided some of the check-in hassle others have reported.

What we really enjoyed, and felt it made the privilege room worthwhile, was the privilege lounge, where we ate breakfast, lunch and dinner, at various times during our stay. This lounge is not crowded (very important), and the waiter/waitress service is excellent. The food was fantastic, and my girlfriend, who is much pickier about food than I am, really raved about every meal we had there. She really liked the tapas for lunch, and the lobster dinner she had (with 3 lobster tails)!

The resort is nice and other posters have given good descriptions of it. I was surprised that there was no nearby place to get a drink at the activities (volleyball, etc.) pool, but there was a bar at the kiddie pool (which did have a deep end for adults).

I enjoyed the lush garden view we had from our room on the ground floor, which made us believe we were in the last building on the property, as we could see no other building (even though it was building 6, and not the last). Walking around the resort the first day, I counted 7 iguanas about a foot in length, each. They weren't bothering anyone.

We had a rent-a-car and found that we could park the car very close to our room, outside the conference center.

We only saw one show (the Mexican one) during our stay and found it interesting. But I noticed that no one in our group liked the outdoor Italian restaurant meal they had. (I didn't eat there, so this is observational data only). I enjoyed all the regular restaurants I ate at.

The staff worked hard to please you, and I was really impressed by Pablo, who worked nights at the pool bar. He made a special effort to learn each guests name, and he was amazingly successful with ours. On a different note, one of our group was ordering drinks from the lobby bar one time, and the bartender asked him for a tip, before he would serve him. (My friend wisely refused to tip him).

They do sell souvenirs on Friday night, but not other nights, so plan accordingly.

One breakfast, one of the orange juice dispensers would stick in the open position after you filled your glass. Many people did not notice this as they quickly walked away, and soon there was a puddle of OJ on the floor. I alerted the staff to this problem, and their solution was to put a wet floor cone by the puddle. I think a better solution was in order.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and our group had lots of fun. We even enjoyed the wedding vow renewal ceremony we attended, on a balcony.

We would go back again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,613)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
south texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed here for four nights in the first week of June. It is a short 30 minute ride from CUN, The property is well maintained and beautifully landscaped. The staff members, except for one of the time share sellers, were wonderful. Judith was quite helpful and Emanuel in Mike's Coffee Shop (spent quite a bit of time there) was fantastic. The bell staff and bartenders and beverage servers were always on the ball. We encountered nothing but pleasant employees, quick to greet us with a friendly Hola!

Check in was flawless and went quickly once it was 3:00 PM, check in time. We arrived about 2:00 and passed a really nice hour sipping drinks on the veranda overlooking the Caribbean. A tough wait, but someone had to do it.

The room was spacious and clean as a pin. One rap, the A/C goes off when the room is still at night, probably not an issue for honeymooners. Simply waving an arm in the air restarts the cooling system immediately. We had a view of the courtyard below and the sea beyond.

Food was very good, better than we have experienced at other all inclusive properties. Servers were attentive without being pests. That may have to do with the fact that we tip at all inclusive properties. These guys and gals are not over paid by any stretch of the imagination. Mike's offered a sugar free selection each day and that helped my blood sugar level a lot.

The pool was clean, well maintained, very well attended but never looked crowded. The pool staff members led group exercises that looked like fun (Garfield here). The beach is quite a good one. The slope is gentle and a good white sand bottom. There was sea weed but the property was on the job taking care of it.

I can recommend the Mexican themed restaurant highly. Good service, real Mexican food and only about a half hour wait when we ate there. We killed the time by getting a coffee next door a Mike' and eating dessert first. Route 66 a tip of the hat to the fabled Chicago to La highway had good food and good service. We liked the burgers.

A one hour coed massage session was a bargain at $190 USD, mom and I enjoyed it tremendously. We highly recommend this property in spite of the time seller, the rest of the staff members made up for that issue.

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

This resort is not horrible but you definately get what you pay for. This is the least expensive of all of the AI resorts I've been too and it showed. It was just OK. The rooms are well appointed but our AC unit didn't work so everything was damp and humid. We spoke to the front desk but they didn't offer a room move or try to help. The food here is not great. The beach is only ok. There is a quiet pool and a party pool which has more of a "Spring Break" atmosphere. Overall this is not a horrible resort it simply didn't meet our expectations. If this is your first visit and you are looking for a budget friendly , party atmosphere property book it but if you're looking for more of a retrest you can do better in Mexico. OIn the plus side Puerto Morelos is an excellent location and is only 20 minites or so from the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed at this resort 6 years ago with my family, around the time that it first opened, and I loved it. The service was great, the facilities were clean, and the resort was quiet and peaceful.

6 years is a relatively short period of time in the hotel world, but somehow between then and now this resort has gone from a 5-star to a 2-star (in my opinion). The service is TERRIBLE-- a nightmare, actually. It took my friends and I approximately an hour to check in and they were completely unapologetic. If you go to any of the bars/restaurants and expect to receive a quick drink or meal, you can just throw that notion out the window.

It should also be noted that the food is mostly horrible. The Hibachi restaurant, Sensai, is WAY overhyped and it was so hot inside that one of my friends almost fainted. The buffet looks gross but if you search, you can find a few things that are edible. Also stay away from the Villa Marina, it made me get sick the first night of our stay. The only place I would actually recommend is la Petit Creperie. The crepes are delicious and they also have good salads and pizza.

The pools were mostly hot, overcrowded, cesspools of locals who came for a rowdy weekend getaway. If you're looking to relax, walk down to the beach and enjoy the relative silence and clear waters-- or just stay somewhere else.

"Funny" side note: One of my friends got chips from the buffet and mixed in with her chips was a fried napkin. Yes, you read that right.

Room Tip: Rooms on the far left side of the resort are quieter but a pretty long walk to the main pool and res...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The resort was nicely laid out, each building had an elevator. Four separate pools to accommodate your mood, and a good variety of food.

I would like to mention the excellent services provided to me by Daniel, event coordinator, and the excellent service that was rendered to me during the event by Adrian Arjona, Jorge Olvora, Jesus Alvares, Ydelfonso Pech and Guiu Cab. I was pleasantly pleased with the resort and the staff, I was greeted by Adrian's infectious cheerful personality each morning.

My only complaint was the hostess/host at the restaurants, they were not receptive or accommodating to parties of 7-9 people. They were resistant to the idea of adding a chair to an existing table or putting 2 tables. Most of the time the response was the restaurant was booked, with sections of empty tables. Other than the specialty restaurant seating issue, all 65 of us had a great time.

Room Tip: I don't think there was a bad room at the resort. All the rooms were equipped with a dehumidifi...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

We recently stayed at this resort from July 23-30. We attempted to find out more about this resort but there was not much infor available than what was provided by the tour operator and the Trip Advisor website. The resort is clean, medium sized with friendly staff and the food was varied and plentiful.
Our check in was a little slow as there a number of documents to complete and sign and there weren’t many staff to cater for new folks who have just arrived. Nevertheless, we were greeted with some cold drinks and the staff were very accommodating when we requested a change of rooms (due to the ocean view which we had requested and paid extra for). The rooms were very spacious and clean and provided the much needed A/C during our stay (albeit a little noisy as they need to be on all the time).
The hotel was in good shape and had a variety of restaurants to suite all tastes including a coffee shop and a specialty section in the buffet for those with dietary restrictions. The only issues we came across were:
1. limited wifi range (not available on the beach & parts of the resort)
2. Instability of the wifi – sometimes dropped connection no matter where we were
3. The areas where the tour operator provided excursions was without A/C and consequently everyone was sweating in this space; moving out to another location only resulted in the excursions staff being harassed by the security in the building
4. The theatre where many shows took place was also without much needed A/C which meant a lot of sweaty people
5. The pillows were lumpy! Not much of an issue for me but I know some members of my party thought they needed to be replaced!
The hotel provides a variety of activities for everyday of the week however, the least publicized is the bike tour – I discovered this 2 days before we departed. Try to go on this tour as it provides a visit to the local town of Puerto Morelos and habitants nearby. This is leisurely tour to this quaint sleepy town where you are given time for refreshments and shopping before heading back to the resort. Our tour guide, Argel was excellent.

Room Tip: Choose top floor otherwise your balcony will face trees
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear prakash96,
We want to thank you for sharing your comments regarding your last stay at our resort. We are glad to read that overall you were satisfied with our facilities and great variety in our offer. We also like to thank you for letting us know about the good time you had with Argel, from our entertainment staff, while participating in our bike tour to Puerto Morelos, which is totally free for our guests. We truly appreciate your suggestion and observations about the aspects of your stay that need our attention. In this manner, we like to inform that our IT department is already working with our Wi-Fi supplier in order to provide a better service to our guests. Thank you for choosing our resort. We are looking forward your next visit.
Bests,
The Ocean Coral & Turquesa Management
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This hotel has the best service I have ever found, beautiful beach, amazing pools, great nightlife and entertainment, the only downside is the car rental company, they scammed us and we found drugs in one of their cars, don't get cars in dollar, THEY WONT HELP YOU WHATSOEVER, but.... The hotel is magnificent and the staff is just the friendliest, I am very happy with this hotel

Room Tip: Every room in this hotel is amazing, try to get an ocean view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JbringasD,
We truly appreciate that you took the time to share your experience while staying at our resort. It is good to learn that you received the Ocean Service we are used to give to our guests, and that you truly enjoyed your vacation. On the other side, we lament that you found this type of inconvenience with Car Rental Company. Please, allow us to enlighten that this business is a concession of the resort, and its operation is independent from Ocean Coral & Turquesa. Even so, you were assisted by our staff and the report of this incident was extended to the management of the Car Rental Company, who take immediate actions in order to prevent this situation to repeat. Nevertheless, it is good to learn that besides this incident, you had an amazing trip. We hope to have the opportunity to host you again in the future.
Kind regards,
The Ocean Coral & Turquesa Management

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!