“Hotel Overbooked” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Coral & Turquesa

You added Ocean Coral & Turquesa to your Saves list
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   S.S. 12, Mza 15, Lote 1-02, 103 | Predio Maria Irene, Puerto Morelos 77511, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Davison, Michigan, United States
“Hotel Overbooked”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

The time we were actually at the hotel was wonderful. The problem was that upon check-in we were informed that the hotel was overbooked. At the end of the check in process we were informed of the issues with room availability. We were then offered an upgrade if we agreed to stay two of the nights of our trip in "Sandals" hotel nearby. We were assured over and over that the "Sandals" hotel was beautiful and that we would love it. We thought this was an opportunity to be closer to Playa Del Carmen and to also stay in a beautiful hotel. We stayed one night in a glorious room at the Ocean Coral & Turquesa and then the next day we were transported to the "Sandals" hotel. Imagine our surprise when the taxi they called for us delivered us to the "Sandos" hotel. The room was horrible compared to the room that we had paid for at the original hotel. There were many people in line at this hotel that had been shuttled here from the original hotel. I called the Ocean Coral & Turquesa practically begging to go back there, only to be told that they were full. We spent two nights at the "Sandos" hotel. Thankfully that hotel bent over backwards to try to make our stay pleasant. They upgraded our room. Upon our return to the Ocean Coral & Turquesa they gave us great services. But the turmoil that we went through and moving in and out of three rooms in six days was very stressful. Sadly I will not go back to this beautiful resort. Will rethink using Funjet again also, as this is probably the source of the overbooking problem.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,445)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

My husband and I went back to Mexico for our seventh year and stayed at a lovely resort by H10 called Coral & Turquasea. The beach was beautiful just like all of the staff. Gustavo, head of the entertainment staff has an amazing team with Raul, Oly, Hugo, Samantha, Monica,Lauro and a couple of new members we unfortunatley did not get to know. ALL of the shows at night did not disappoint. If I was to pick a favourite I just could not. Two thumbs up for all of the hard work that the entertainment staff do.

As for the rest of the time we spent at this resort, there is nothing bad that I could say.
Thanks to Frank (Front desk manager) thank you for the unforgettable chance to see behind the scenes. I would also like to say a big thank you for your great hard work to Grisele.

To us this is a five star resort. As for the resteraunts, well there is five to choose from and if anyone goes hungery then it is there problem. There is more than enough to choice from.

Gord & Wendy
Waterloo, ON
Canada

Room Tip: All the rooms seem to have a great view of the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Wendy and Gord N,
We like to express our gratitude for your kind comments regarding the good work of Mr. Frank, Grisel, Gustavo and the friendliness of the members of our Entertainment team. Be sure that we will extend your appreciation and kind comments to all of them. With reward we learn that we were able to provide you with a satisfactory trip. Thank you for choosing OCT for your last vacations. We look forward to host your next holidays at this, your home.
Warm regards,
Saint Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed at this resort 2/28-3/5 and we really enjoyed our visit. The entertainment staff (Hugo, DiDi, Israel, Alex, Monica, and Samantha) were amazing. They had activities each day and did a great job of getting people to participate. The food was solid and great choices in alcoholic beverages. Mini bar was stocked daily, and the rooms were clean.

• Stayed March 2013
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear stlTravis,
It is with reward that we learn that on your last visit to OCT your vacations were satisfactory. Furthermore that you appreciated the friendliness of our entertainment staff and that their hard work did not passed unnoticed. We are grateful for taking your time to post your review. We hope that you will return to our resort in a near future.
Warm regards,
Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

Well, the worst thing which a beach hotel can do, is not to have enough chairs on the beach. When you have to get up at 6AM to reserve your lounge chairs, it really crimps the vacation style. By 6:30 AM not one chair was available on the beach!

The food is inedible, the drinks are watered down; the wine being the worst. I can understand watery cocktails, as some people drink too many of those but to bring a glass of watered down wine to dinner is a major problem.
Getting into the "specialty restaurants" is an ordeal, waiting in line for an hour and the food is not much better than the buffet, nicknamed " The Through".

Rarely for Mexico, this place is severely understaffed, resulting in long lines everywhere.
The resort is pretty but way too big. The rooms smell very musty, first floor ones the worst.The rooms are very noisy, if somebody walks above you, it sounds like an army marching. The bathroom without doors and walls is idiotic.

I have been to a few all inclusives before, but this is hands down the worst. Not because of the staff; they are nice but because of the poor management.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear PalmBeach9,
We want to express our gratitude for choosing our resort for your vacations. It is with displeasure that we learn you experience at OTC was not satisfactory. We lament that your vacations were affected by the reservations of the beach/pool chairs made by other guests, nevertheless we must remark that our resort does not encourage this situation, on the contrary, the towels used for reserving pool chairs are retired by the members of our staff after 2 hours if any guest is using it. We regret that our house wine did not fulfill your expectations, nevertheless we like to enlighten that we also count with a wine menu in each of our restaurants, guests can order any of the bottles with an extra charge. Regarding your comment about the waiting times at the a la carte restaurants, we like to clarify that our first come first serve basis was implemented in order to give everyone the opportunity of dine were preferred. The waiting time for the tables may vary depending on the number of people attending to the restaurant and the reserved tables for the Privilege guests, which are entitled with this benefit for an extra cost, nonetheless this should not mean an impediment for other customer to dinning too. In addition, the guests are provided with pagers in order to reduce inconveniences and waiting for the table in the place they prefer. Since our resort is surrounded by mangroves, alleviate the humidity/sewer smell condition is beyond our control. Nevertheless, we do place dehumidifiers if requested in order to aid this situation. We are thankful for taking the time to post your review at this site and for giving us the opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance. We hope to have the opportunity to host you in the future and change your perception about our resort.
Best regards,
Belleville, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I just returned from the Ocean Coral on Feb 26th, 2013, I wanted to take a few days before writing this review because I was so discouraged my last few days there and I didn't want that to be my final opinion. I choose the Ocean Coral because I had stayed at the Ocean Blue in Puna Cana last year and loved it. I was not as impressed with this resort. Unfortunately when we arrived they told me they had overbooked and offered to upgrade me to Privilege if I agreed to go to another resort in Cancun. I looked at this as an adventure, seeing two parts of Mexico in one trip. This may be the reason I did not enjoy this resort as much. It turned out to be very tiring to pack up and check in and out of two different resorts in one week. The Ocean Coral did give me a beautiful room with an ocean view. I was upgraded to Privilege which was nice considering I had always wondered if it was worth the extra money (now that I have done it I would never pay for it..not worth it). It did not matter if you were Privileged or not there was never any loungers by any of the pools. What you read about the loungers having towels on them is true. I am normally up by 8:00 in the morning but I could not get a chair by the pool so I headed out one morning before 7:30 and there was not one lounger at all three pools that was not being saved by a towel, t-shirt, or shoe. The thing that upsets me the most is there was nobody around. This loungers were left for hours with a towel...saving a spot. This in my opinion is very frustrating. I know the resort claims they do not allow this but never did I hear anyone say that saving chairs is not allowed. In one instance, I overheard a patron offer an employee money to save loungers for them in the morning. I can understand if you were expecting to get a pool lounger at noon and there were none available but 7:30 in the morning. Unbelievable! I can't comment on the entertainment crew because they spend most of their days by the pool and I spent all of my day by the ocean. Although I am sure they were good. One of the spots I loved the most at the Ocean Blue was Mike's Coffee Shop the one at Ocean Coral is smaller but still very good. The buffet was alright but I have had better. The second last day I was very sick and I am sure it was from under cooked chicken but I can't be sure. The staff at this resort for the most part was great. They are very hard working and friendly. The grounds were beautiful. My last day I was upset because the front desk explained that we should be at the airport three hours before our flight. I check with them three times and each time was told the same thing. Our Sunquest representative was never available or I would have checked with them. I was ready three hours before my flight but my shuttle bus never came. I tried asking the bell boys when the bus would be there because I was worried about missing my flight and they said they didn't know. This went on for over an hour. I asked again and they told me to check with my representative. I explained that they were not there and the bell boys told me to call Sunquest. This of course was impossible. The bus finally arrived one hour and a half before my flight. Apparently you don't need to be at the airport three hours before your flight. That caused me a lot of undue stress. My overall opinion of this resort may have been different had I spent the entire week but I didn't so I would have to say that although it was nice.....I won't be back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

First time in Mexico after many trips to Cuba. We were a family of 5 with 3 teenagers visiting the H10 Ocean Coral on the Riviera Maya between Feb. 24 and March 3, 2013. The beach was on par with Cuban beaches but we did prefer the beaches in Holguin as we were able to snorkel off those beaches. Aside from that, everything else was superior tot eh Cuban resorts that we have been to over the past 5 years, especially the food at the a la cartes. Delicious! I admit that we had the luxury of the "Privilege" upgrade which gave us access to the VIP lounge and service which was top notch and we did not have to wait to get into the a la cartes, and now we are spoiled. Unfortunately, we were not able to access the Oriental a la carte because of some arbitrary 14 yrs. and over rule and our youngest was 2 months away from 14 years. They had no real explanation. Our son has been to many teppanakis before. The other thing that we suggest they change is the operating hours of the Teen Club which has the pool table and other activities. It wasn't opened until 3pm.

The staff at the Ocean was always courteous and attentive, especially at the VIP lounge and we will miss their great service and food. The food at the Mexican, Fusion and the Petite Crepiere was as good as any restaurant I have been to in Canada. The Mike's coffee house was fantastic and kudos to the staff (usually one person) who seemed under a constant barrage of customers but yet managed to provide quick service. Alex, our assigned butler was always helpful. I know that you will move up in the hotel.

We made it a point to tip often. I realize that it is an all inclusive but like in Canada, the staff relies on the tips. They were always appreciate of whatever the amount of the tip.

We had two adjoining rooms with an ocean view. Very nice but mid way through the week the toilette in one of the rooms had an offensive sewer back up smell. They finally came to look at it after 2 days but the smell returned the day after. Something about a clogged filtered. Unlike Cuban hotels which always seemed to have a musty smell, the rooms here were fresh and ordor free with the exception of the aforementioned bathroom issue.

The beach was nice and there was never a shortage of chairs. Unfortunately we had a couple of windy, but sunny days. It rained for one and half days but there was always something to do. On one of the cloudy days we took a 1.3 hour walk each way along the beach to the town of Puerto Morelos. Our concierge said it would take only 40 minutes. He must be one fast walker.
Not much to see at Puerto Morelos and beware of the nudist hotel along the way if that offends you.

We chose the Coba Mayan Adventure with Alltournative tours. This included not only a trip to the Coba temples in which you get to climb to the top of the highest temple/pyramid in the region, the excursion included rappelling down into a cenote, kayaking, zip lining (two times), swimming in a cenote, a very good buffet lunch and a shaman ceremony. Each event was short and enjoyable. It was the highlight of the trip for our family . Special thanks and mention to the tour guide, Rodrigo Olivares, who was great. He showed us his deep passion for the Mayan people and their importance to Mexican culture.I highly recommend taking this excursion for a blend of fun and culture and you will be lucky to get Rodrigo.

Thanks again to the staff of the Ocean Coral and we hope to see you again next year!

Room Tip: Get the Privilege if it within your budget
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
OCT-CustomerService, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Tony T,
We want to thank you for taking your time to share your opinion about our resort. With reward we learn that you enjoyed our Privilege facilities, offer and friendliness of our staff, and also that you had a wonderful family vacation experience. Be sure that we will take your observations regarding the Teen’s Club schedule into consideration and changes will be made if necessary. Thank you for posting your experience. We look forward your vacations next year.
Bests,
Livonia, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

I am fortunate to have traveled to many beautiful places. I can't begin to explain the beauty of Puerto Morelos! The beaches are well groomed & not overly busy. The resort was AMAZING!!! I don't know where to begin, the rooms were clean and well stocked and the staff was the BEST ever! They go out of their way to make your stay as close to heaven and possible. I would go back in a heartbeat!!!I HIGHLY recommend!

Dear RandB42,
It is truly a pleasure for us to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you appreciated the beauty of Puerto Morelos. We are thankful for writing your experience and for recommending our resort. We hope to see you soon.
Kind regards,

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!