“Great hotel, far from downtown” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ocean Coral & Turquesa

You added Ocean Coral & Turquesa to your Saves list
Ocean Coral & Turquesa
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   S.S. 12, Mza 15, Lote 1-02 | 103 Predio María Irene, Puerto Morelos 77511, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Orlando, Florida
“Great hotel, far from downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2011

I had a congress in Ocean Coral this december and the service was just great. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere and it is an all inclusive, so if you look for a honeymoon hotel or a quiet getaway, this is the one. If you want to go to downtown, this is not your best option. The buffets are plentiful and yummy, and they have everything, from crepes to salads, coffee, ice creams, mexican and international food, everything! The pools are very nice, the bar is well stocked, it's worth to pay a little extra to have a special bracelet that enables you to go to a private restaurant, private pool and a private beach with champagne brought to you to!
The congress rooms were pretty sober, fresh and quite all right. Hard to feel you're working with all this great perks!

Room Tip: ocean vview
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
EVEGT, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, April 8, 2011
Thank you very much for your kind reviw .It is very pleasant to lear you left our property satisfied with our services ,food offer and facilities .

We hope to welcome you once more in the future .

Eveanny Gonzalez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,695)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

This is my 2nd visit to the Ocean Coral this season and I loved it both times. The staff were alwas so helpful and pleasant -a very special thanks to Rode, you are the best, you made both our visits very pleasant and enjoyable! The grounds and pool areas are always spotless and everything is kept beautifully. There is a pool for everyone, quiet in the privledge area, fun for adults at the bar pool, activities and sports for all in the activity pool and then a separate childrens pool and baby pool in the kids activity area. The beach is great and you can walk as far as you want either way. The Entertainment staff are wonderful, always getting the guests involved in fun activities and sports. They all work so hard and then at night are in the nightly shows (which are really good) and then out to dance and more fun at the nightly parties. A special thanks to Barbie, David, tall Alex and Lily, although they are all great! Great work guys you work very hard and deserve big kudo's!!!!
The food is amazing both in the buffet and the a la carte restaurants. We had a gluten free teen and an adult with alot of food allergies and they were always able to find food. Not being a Privledged guest for the 2nd visit (you can only reserve a la cartes if Privledged-which is fine they pay for that) we were able to go to all the a la carte's. If you hear any complaints about the food, don't believe them, they must be from someone you could never please anyways!!!!
The rooms were always very clean and comfortable. Our only issue was one of the mattresses sunk into the middle so we flipped it over and then it was fine. I would return to this resort in a heartbeat!!!!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
It is extremely rewarding to know you had an excellent time at our resort and further more when you visited us for the second time.Reviews as your encourages us to moving forward for accomplishing our goal of satisfying the totality of our guests.

Looking forward to host you soon.

Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2011

This was our first time to Mexico and I constantly checked the reviews on here all the way from the time I booked the trip until the day before we left and I was uncertain what to expect with all the different reviews. So I kind of got there open minded and ready for anything and I was thoroughly happy with our trip. Check in was a breeze and we were never even approached the entire time about any kind of time share (or "welcome tour"), they did give us a card to fill out for something of that sort but we never did and they didnt call and bug us or anything. We actually werent even offered to upgrade to privledged but as it turned out by the end of vacation, for us we wouldnt of even used that anyways. I am sure some people require this and some people splurge on this, but we are easy to please people so it wouldnt of even paid for us to do that. We didnt make any room requests or anything so our view and building was not the best but it didnt change the trip at all. We were there to have a nice time, we werent picky about where our room was.

The staff is absolutely amazing. We didnt have much interaction with the front desk, just check in and check out, but the rest of the staff we were in regular contact with and every single one of them were amazing. The cleaning staff was ALWAYS out and about cleaning something. I saw them cleaning the trash cans, the walk ways, everything. And it tells cause it is a very nice resort. Our room was always cleaned and organized nicely. More towels in the room would of been nice, they knew we were a family of four and we constantly only had bath towels for two or three people so either we would make do or call and get more. No big deal. The restaurant staff was amazing also. Matter of a fact when we got back home we went out to eat and my daughter said, I miss the staff at OCT, they were so much nicer than the people at home! But they were always opening doors, getting you drinks just busy busy. Wonderful service.

The pools, we mainly only enjoyed the "main" pool. The other pools looked nice but the main pool was good for our family. Our kids are 10 and 13 so the kiddie pool was a bit too young, it looked really good though for the younger kids, the bar pool was a bit too adult for them and the privledge pool was on the other side and just not desirable for us. The main pool was perfect, activities the kids enjoyed and the entertainment staff was AWESOME! David is hilarious and always kept us entertained. I didnt find the seaweed on the beach a pain or bother nor the truck that raked it. The beach chairs was a bit of a pain, but not as big as I thought by the reviews. We did go out early one of the mornings and got us chairs but the rest of the days we would get out there about 11 or so and would find one here and one there, I wasnt going to get all disgruntled if we had to sit a little apart for a little while. I would rather that than to hog up four chairs and not show up until noon when someone else could of wanted to enjoy chairs before that. It all worked out just fine though. Although I do think that whole system of even being able to reserve your beach seats and not show up for hours later is totally inappropriate and if I were the manager there I would put a stop to that nonsense. It does say in one of the books in the room that you are not to do that but somewhere along the way it happened and no one is enforcing the rules so it keeps happening.

The restaurants were all great. My favorite was the crepe place, but everyone in our family had a different favorite. They were all good, and like I said we were not privledged and did not have one complaint about getting in to them. I mean, at home..we go to a nice restaurant and have to wait an hour or two and just stand in the lobby. Here, if you have to wait sit outside and enjoy the sights and get a drink or two for "free". No big deal. I think at all the al la carte restaurants we did have a wait but nothing that bothered us. They usually said what time you would be seated and we stayed close but would run and get some drinks, find a chair and relax and right around the time they told us sure enough they would tell us they were ready.

Overall it was a GREAT vacation and I am so glad we went. I could probably go on and on but I realize this is getting really long so if you have any questions please send me a message and I will be happy to help out. We will for sure go here again!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
It have been with a big pleasure that we read your review and learn you had a good time at our resort and further more that you have appreciated the courtesy and professionalism of our staff .

It is also very pleasant to know you liked the facilities such as our food offer.

We hope we will host you again in the near future

Dartmouth, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

My wife and I and another couple spent the week of March 19th to the 26th, 2011 at the H10 Ocean Coral Resort near Porto Morales, Mexico. Porto Morales is a small, authentic Mexican town located approximately 20 km from Cancun and 15 km from Playa Del Carmen on the Mayan Riviera.

This resort is usually reviewed as a 4 ½ star resort and this is a very appropriate rating. Once checking in at the efficient front desk you will be introduced to a concierge who will try to interest you in a vacation timeshare. There are two classes of visitors at this resort. There are the regular riff raff and the Privileged people. The front desk will not allow you to upgrade to prestige/privileged after arrival.
Waiting to get a table at a restaurant.

The Privileged class get to go to any a la carte restaurant at any time and do not have to wait on arrival or they may make a reservation. The regular patrons must line up to wait to be seated at the restaurant (no reservations are able to be made) and the wait is usually 1 – 3 hours. The maddening thing is that there are usually open tables in the restaurants that are held in case a Privileged visitor happens by.

The food at the restaurants is uniformly excellent. There is an Italian, Mexican, Japanese, French crapier, Steak House, a buffet, a lunch time pool buffet, a coffee house with excellent deserts, and a sports bar with pub food. The quality of food is also quite varied so there is no need to fear that you may not find something you will like.

That is a large window next to the tub!
There are several pools from a quiet pool for reading and relaxing, to a boisterous activity pool to a kid’s pool so you can find a spot that suits your mood of the day.

The rooms are large and very clean. The beds are significantly harder than most North Americans are used to. A disconcerting element of the room is a large glass wall between the bathroom and the bedroom. You can see into the bathroom if the curtain is not across in front of the tub. The toilet stall has a phone in it and the stall is also made of frosted glass. There is no door to the washroom so beware if you are traveling with children.

One ever present irritation at most Caribbean resorts is the 5:30am wake up and trot to the beach or pool to reserve a chair with a towel. I truly do not understand why resorts cannot provide more loungers. Vacationers do not want to wake before 8:30 – we are on vacation remember!

The rank and file people who work at the resort (wait staff, bar staff, animators, etc.) are very friendly and have a very good command of the English language. It is not hard to learn “Resort Spanish” and you will enhance your visit if you can muster up a “hola” or a “cervesa, por favour”.

We also had great success with cab drivers in that they happily drove us from our resort to both Playa and Cancun and in each case they hung around until we were exhausted and brought us back. In each case we were given a running commentary of the countryside and the towns.

The beach is very white soft sand. There is a significant amount of sea grass that washes up on the beach during each night. The sea normally tosses out flotsam & jetsam regularly so the best thing is to just accept it. The hotel has a tractor that normally has it all cleaned up by 10:00am. The upside is that because of the sea grass and coral being close to the beach, the snorkelling is great. The downside is that while my wife and I were snorkelling in approximately 10 feet of water a man was attacked by a shark approximately 50 feet away. It was a smallish shark that removed the instep of his right foot and made two circumferential bites on the lower leg right to the bone. This left the tibia and fibula visible in both bite wounds. Luckily for this swimmer I am a paramedic, my wife is a nurse and the friend that we were traveling with is also a nurse. An Obs/gyn doctor showed up quickly and also assisted. The lifeguards on the beach wanted to leave this guy on the beach until the hotel doctor came down to assess the patient. I quickly went into my paramedic voice and started giving orders. We backboarded the guy and brought him to the hotel medical room. The physician there was overwhelmed by the trauma. I suspect he spends most of his time dealing with pink eye, vomiting and diarrhea cases.

Your traveler’s insurance doesn’t help if the physician you are being treated by is less than stellar. The patient was moved to a real hospital in Cancun and was treated at that facility quite well. The physician wanted $15,000 USD cash before he would take the patient into surgery. (You get reimbursed by your travelers insurance company but very few people have that kind of room on their credit card to get that large a cash advance.) The ambulance ride was $600 USD.

The hotel management really fell on their collective faces over this incident. They provided no help at all to the couple. They did not even provide a ride to the hospital for this gentleman’s wife. ($3USD each way). The hotel and the dive center at the hotel denied that there was any shark attack and allowed hotel guests to swim in the ocen at the same spot as the attack an hour later.

Bad things happen to good people but the least the hotel, in my opinion, could have done was provide a translator to the wife and a ride to the hospital. This would have cost the resort very little and would have gotten the resort a thumbs up from us Canadians.

As I rate this resort I will not return to it and I would suggest to prospective travelers to spend your money at other resorts. You are just a body here and the resort management does not care about you as a person.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
We sincerely thank you for sharing your opinion regarding your stay at OCTon the page .It is nice to know you have appreciated the kindness of our staff;on the other hand we regret your opinion as regard as our operation it not good .Rest assured of your remarks will be properly analyzed in order to be used for improving our performance.

We consider important to enlighten that the totality of our customers receive the treatment corresponding to a resort of our category.Privilege concept entitles clients with certain benefits as restaurants reservations. The entirety of the guests may up grade to Privilege when desired.

We must also rule out the possibility of a shark attack in our beach due to its temperature such as its water level are not inhabit for them.

The doctor we have in house is a graduated one with the same skills and faculties of any;nevertheless some type of patients could not be treated at our practice and must required to be assisted at a hospital.

We restate our gratitude for your review.

Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

My Wife and myself stayed in this resort in March of 2010. We have been to the Mayan 5 times and stayed at various locations none of which matched this resort. The food was amazing, obviously a European influence in the buffet menu.....Variety was fantastic .... the ala carte was great too, they went out of there way to make this an incredible experience! Yes the beach has a little eel grass that collects along the shore but they clean it up continually. People complaining about Seaweed have obviously not lived or spent any time on the sea coast.I can tell you we will be returning to this resort.

Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

My husband and I booked last minute to go to Ocean Coral. I was worried at first since there were so many negative reviews, and we didnt pay extra for priveldge, so I was worried that we would be treated poorly. NOT the case!

Food- Was good, I had no problems and I am a picky eater.
Beach- it was beautiful , but there was a lot of seaweed in the water so I used the pool more:)
beach Chairs- this is a problem in most resorts. You do need to get up around 6 to put towels on the chairs or you wont find one! Just the way it is..I dont agree that people can hold the chairs all day without sitting in them..that was my only complaint.
Service- amazing, Ive never seen such hard working people...
Restaurants- Mikes coffee was great, my favorite dinner place was Le Creperie, Mexican was good also. And the buffet always had something for everyone. Morning breakfast burritos at the buffet were amazing!!!! the pasta at lunch was great too:) The Score was ok..as well as the Italian.
Rooms- great, although the open concept bathrooms are strange..
Entertainment- AMAZING- always something to do, there was dancing at the pool bar every night and a few beach parties:) Soo much fun.

Thanks OCT for such a great vacation!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
EVEGT, Manager at Ocean Coral & Turquesa, responded to this review, April 2, 2011
It is very rewarding to learn that you had a good vacation experience with us ,enjoyed our food offer,activities and facilities .We truly thank you for sharing your opinion with the rest of the travelers.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

Myself and 3 other girls choose to go to Mexico for our Vacation I have been to Mexico 10 times now and truly enjoyed our trip. The staff is incredible we really enjoyed the entertainment throughout the day and evening. We would normally get up and get to the pool by 8 am and be there until 5 pm. The guys were awesome. Gustavo is very outgoing and treated us incredible along with Alex, Puppy, David. They were always smiling and greeting us everytime they saw us. Like I said i have traveled to many places and this time I actually enjoyed hanging by the pool and going out at the resort at night due to the entertainment and the staff. One thing that got my attention this the fact that the guys see new faces and people everyday but from the first day we got there until the day we left they always remembered our names. My girl friends and I are still talking about all the fun we had and how we enjoyed our stay. I am a very picky and hard person to impress but Gustavo and his team did an outstanding job in making our stay enjoyable. Thank you guys for all the long hours you put in and for treating us with the utmost respect. This trip we will always remember.
The rest of the hotel was great very friendly and clean resort. The rooms were beautiful nothing like waking up every morning and being able to watch the sun rise right from your balcony. The restaruant and bar staff were awesome also. Overall I couldnt have had a better trip. I would highly recommend this resort. If you are looking for a relaxing time but still want to get a little crazy throughout the day and night. This is the resort the entertainment guys will make sure you are always laughing and having a good time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
It have been very rewarding to learn you had a great time at OCT and further more that you had appreciated the professionalism of our staff.

We hope to have the opportunity of host again in the near future.

Eveanny Gonzalez

Been to Ocean Coral & Turquesa? Share your experiences!