“WONDERFUL stay at Secrets.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Petempich SM 12, Mz 31, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Summer Savings up 40%
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Denver, CO
“WONDERFUL stay at Secrets.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful trip to Secrets Silversands. About us; we’re in our early 30’s, we vacation about twice a year to primarily all inclusives. We’ve spent time at Couples, Excellence, and AM resorts properties in the past. We booked Secrets Silversands because of the deep discounts offered due to the swine flu and it being the low season. We spend about half of what we normally do on vacations and I can honestly say that this trip was on par with trips we have taken that cost twice as much.
We booked our room trough Orbitz and when we booked we also booked the private shuttle using the Grey Line. Grey Line picked us up in a white Mercedes at the airport and took us to Silversands (stopped at the gas station for beer on the way). We arrived at Secrets around 4:00 and (no champagne, maybe cause we already had beer with us) were checked in quickly and upgraded to a pool view room on the fourth floor. We were in building 2 and had a big beautiful pool just downstairs. Our room was wonderful with a comfortable bed, internet connection, big bathtub, and a most comfortable bed. The balcony was wonderful and we probably would have used it in February but in early September it was just too hot outside.
The overall layout of the hotel was wonderful. The outdoor dining was casual and the indoor dining was more formal but the indoor temperature was kept comfortable and cool. There are pools all over and it was easy to find a quite pool or one with more of an atmosphere. We like to keep to ourselves and enjoy quiet so we gravitated toward the smaller pools further away from the ocean. The beach is pretty but as everyone said it’s not the best beach due to the rocks in the water.
Food – The food overall was outstanding. Breakfast was very good with endless options on the buffet. We never ate at the buffet for lunch and instead chose to eat outside at Oceana or the Seaside grill which were both very good. The dinners were wonderful! Our favorite place for the food was Ratatouie which served wonderful seafood. Our favorite place for the ambiance and dessert was the Mexican restaurant. We never had to wait for a table but we went early every day.
Shows – We watched Fosse and it was cheesy… as is every show I have ever seen at any resort so no surprise there. Some people like them, some don’t, and we’re the kind of people who would rather read a book back at the room
Activities – The gym was wonderful! Full of new equipment, TV’s, and it was nice and cool. We received a program of activities everyday and it appeared that they all took place. One girl would run around trying to get people involved (she yells, “whoot whoot” and it sounds like MTV spring break). We didn’t participate in anything so I can’t comment. We took long walks both north and south. The walk north is easy and there and plenty of resorts along the way. The walk south is difficult for the first ¼ mile but then it opens up and it’s an easy walk on a nice beach. We walked to Puerto Morales twice which was about 1 ½ to 2 hours and we took a cab back “home”. Puerto Morales is a great little town with a town square, cold beer, good ceviche, and tourist shops.
Bars – The bars and the bartenders were great and they did a wonderful job with lots of different types of alcohol to choose from. The big disappointment for me was the beer selection. I’ve been to Dreams in Puerto Vallarta and they had at least 8 different beers to choose from while Secrets Silversands had only Corona and Negro Modello. I would have appreciated an ice cold Tacate light or some other “light” beer that was not as skunky as a full flavored Corona.
Pointers:
- Bring a pool float. There are very few here. Before I left I thought the problem was people that hoarded them (like at Excellence) but that is not the case. There are simply VERY FEW pool floats. We left ours there but I don’t know who got it.
- Come prepared with something to clean out your ears after you swim. I’ve never had an ear infection in my life (and I swim and scuba dive) and I came home with a severe ear infection caused by swimmers ear which is picked up from the bacteria in the water. I am now on antibiotics and in a lot of pain. This could be due to a number of things but if I could do it all over again I would have been prepared
- Go to the Spa for a massage. The spa was WONDERFUL and a highlight of our stay. Come early and stay late and use the facilities. Inside is a wonderful hydrospa and outside is a cool refreshing pool.
- Bring a small candle for your bathroom (toilet area is separate). It’s small with no ventilation.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them. Overall – WONDERFUL place they I would definitely visit again and recommend to a friend.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,018)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

The hotel is very clean. The staff is courteous, friendly and very helpful. The food has excellent presentation and is very good to the taste. I would highly recommend this resort for persons who frequent "Adult Only" resorts. The only negative is the beach which has allot of seaweed.

Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

After reading the reviews over the past few months, I was thrilled with the hotel and services. Check in was easy. No drink or towel service but we did get a swim out upgrade so no big deal! Our luggage was promptly delievered and off to the pool we went!
I would recommend tipping as the workers really do a lot of work and are always trying to make sure you hae everything you need! The food was much better than expected! Guys, you do need to bring the long pants and collared shirts! You will not get in to eat (in the nice restaurants) if you don't! I think it made the night life a bit more dressy which was nice. The rooms are great, very large with jacuzzi tub for two. We did find a few mosquito's in the room but I don't think either of us left with any bites. They do provide you with sunscreen which smells yummy but doens't do much for protection. My biggest recommendation is, please remember to bring your own float..Even a cheap one and then leave it behind for someone else. It's very HOT and trust me you will want one as they only have 20 floats for the entire resort. Also, if you have an insulated cup, take it. The drinks are cold when poured but they don't stay that way long! Room service for us was fast which was nice. If you want certain things in your fridgerator just put a note above it with some money and they will fill it with what you want all week long. Don't forget a few dollars goes a long way.

Montreal

Stay: Aug.29th-Sept.6th 2009

We booked a very last-minute vaction to Secrets Silversand for my wife's birthday. We previously have been to Secrets Capri twice and to Dreams Tulum, Royal Playa Del Carmen, Excellence Riviera Cancun and Excellence Playa Mujeres.

Rooms:
We booked a Sterling suite simply because it was only $70 more for the entire week. If the upgrade was any more expensive we wouldn't have taken it as the room was huge!

Our room was in building 4 on the 4th floor and facing the main pool and the ocean. Great view, great location!

The bathroom is very nice, the toilet is separated by a glass door and the shower worked great. We never had issue with water pressure or hot water.

We had a king-size bed and what a bed!!! It was SOOOOooooo comfortable! Before checking out we took the sheets off and wrote down the brand name of the matresses.

Maid service was done early every morning so that was very nice. The mini-bar wasn't replenished two of the seven days but no big deal. Ditto for turn down service, again no big deal as long as we got our "Sundial" newsletter delivered each night.

We had internet access and the speed was good, not fast but not slow. REMINDER TO ALL: it's not wireless so bring your own network cable.

We used the free in-room safe for all our valuables.

Restaurants and Bars:
We went to the World Cafe each morning for breakfast. Unlike Secrets Capri this resort doesn't have a restaurant open for à la carte breakfast. Buffet got kind of boring without it by the end of the week.

The French restaurant was good but not outstanding. The decor of the restaurant was VERY nice. However we found the tables for two to be much too close to each other and it sure takes away the romance out of the experience.

The Italian restaurant was very nice, again a very nice decor. The food was very good and we really enjoyed it.

The Mexican restaurant was really nice but the menu wasn't very elaborate. The atmosphere was fun but the food wasn't that great.

The Asian restaurant was outstanding in everything! The food, the service, the ambiance, everything was fantastic. We loved it!

The outdoor Grill restaurant was nice although the menu was quite restricted.

The outdoor Seaside restaurant was delicious.

We had very fast service in all restaurants. No reservation are required at all restaurant except if you want to sit at one of the Hibachi station in the Asian restaurant. We love not having to make dinner reservation and deciding on the spot where we would eat.

The Veranda bar and Baracuda bar were both nices places to hang out during the day or after supper but both were obviously understaffed during the day.

The Lobby bar was great. We had fantastic service from everyone there at all times. Each evening they had either a saxophone or trumpet player playing smooth music in the lobby, it was really nice.

Drinks at all bars were very well prepared and certainly not diluted.

Hint: ask for a frozen Coconut margarita at the Mexina restaurant, to die for!

Beach/Pools/Grounds:
There are six pools (that counted) and some are busier than others. The temperatue of the pools were perfect, not cold but yet still refreshing. The main pool has a pool bar and floaties. It was kind of funny to see what some people would do not to lose their floaties. We saw some hidden just about everywhere on the resort at the end of each day, too funny!

The beach wasn't nice at all but we knew that so we were not disappointed. Swimming is almost impossible becaude of all the seaweed and rocks.

There are only 9 palapas and a few palm trees on the beach. I would go reserve two chairs under a palapa each morning at 07:30 and there were always all available. Only a few chairs by the main pool would be reserved by then.

Towels were always available throughout the resort.

Other Comments:
We loved this resort! It wasn't the best resort we've been to but for the price we paid it was a fantastic trip and we're really happy we chose Secrets Silversands. I'm not sure we would return, I think we would pay a bit more and go to Secrets Maroma Beach instead.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2009

We stayed at Secrets Silversands 8/24 - 28th and loved it very much. From the moment we arrived we were treated like royalty. Salvadore, who greeted us at the front desk upgraded our room to an ocean view room that looked out over the pools, the main area of the goings'on each day, and with a gorgeous view of the turquoise ocean. We were also greeted with glasses of champagne and a very informative and friendly bell boy who helped us with our luggage to our room. The entry way towards your room is manificent with 50 foot floor to ceiling windows with a view of one of their infinity pools that seamlessly blends into the turqoise actual ocean - Breathtaking!!! Our room beckoned us with marble everywhere and a gorgous view and lovely, huge outdoor terrace. The whirlpool tub was HUGE and you could sit in it and see the ocean and watch TV if so desired at the same time! I liked that the TV was satelite and you could watch anything in enlish just like home - including CNN (If you wanted to watch TV at all!). The marble or travertine shower was just too sexy and wonderful to behold! Now we want to have ours here at home remodeled to replicate it! The bed was extremely comfortable with fantastic mattress and bedding sheets. They had a mirrored divider between the sunken tub and main bedroom if you wanted privacy and the mirrored panel could slide over in front of the bed or back over by the tub! We are not drinkers so they definitely saved a lot of money with us and hardly had to restock the mini bar except for an occasional orange juice or diet coke! We loved the food and the ambience and waiters. One evening the mariachi's sang for us and others at the mexican restaurant and that was nice. The food at all of the restaurants was good to very good. We were not dissapointed with the food at all as others have mixed opinions. We really enjoyed the morning and lunch buffets. I am not a big eater in one sitting so I enjoyed being able to pick and choose what I wanted, eating lightly, and then joining in the morning YOGA offerred by a wonderful local girl. The best part of the vacation was doing the morning yoga with the view of the beautiful ocean in the background - Ahhhh, just not the same at LA Fitness! We enjoyed kayaking and actually went beyond where we probably should have, but it didn't seem too far, out to where they took tourists snorkeling. We kayaked right along with gigantic sea turtles and other beautiful fish that we could see from atop our kayak. A small coast guard ship came and checked on us but must have felt like we knew what we were doing and left us alone. It was only about 2 miles down from the hotel. We booked a trip through the hotel's concierge to Isla Mujeres and snorkeled at Garaphon and did the Zip line which was a lot of fun. We thought the staff at Secrets Silversands was GREAT. Everyone went above and beyond to check on us and make sure that we were enjoying our stay. The Yoga girl was great and led the noon time water aeoribics also. The waiters were great and gracious also.
SPA: I did have 1 service at the spa and it was $$$ even with the hotel credits we had received as you can only use $40 of the credits at a time. A 50 min. massage still cost me about $120 dollars with the credit! Pricey. I am very used to getting massages and this was a very good massage. I would not get a massage there again, however, from the young man that was the massuese not only because of the price . . . . .
My husband and I had a wonderful time overall. We loved just about everything and I especially loved the YOGA. The gym was sort of "funky" to get to, but actually stocked with very good equipment. When I say "funky" to get to I mean it was quite far from our room, and then you entered a little hallway and climbed up stairs that did not have a railing (I've seen many staircases like this in Mexico but they are definitely not like here in US). With the entryway and the stairwell being so small and steep I didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised to find a nice gym that was large and well appointed.
The weather while we were there was very humid but the cools kept us cool and the inside was always very pleasant and beautiful. (We were there in August - and it's customarily humid then, and we knew that going in.) I also liked the daily entertainment sheet they placed under your door to let you know what was going on that day, similar to when you're on a cruise. Fairly good entertainment shows each night - we enjoyed them for the most part and what's not to like anyway - you're on vacation!! Loved the people we met there having fun. First part of the week we felt old (we're 55) and by the end of the week, as other couples came in, we felt sort of in the middle as other couples might have been in their 70's!! But by then, I felt completely stress free and tan and fit, so maybe I just felt younger!! So, what's not to like about that?! When we got home our married/grown children thought we looked 10 years younger they said!!
SUGGESTIONS: Bull doze that rocky beach so one can walk out there without killing their feet! (Bring water shoes with you!) I wish they offered a good free house wine. Their "free" wine was nasty the night I decided to have wine with my seafood.
I wish they offered lobster at least once during your stay. I wish the spa treatments weren't so expensive. I wish the tub didn't leak out an awful looking orange stuff in the water that you could see the residue of after you emptied the tub. (my husband thought it was from pipe that was not made of copper . . .hmmmm????? I didn't want to think about it much because I do LOVE my hot baths.) Fix the electricity problem in the evenings when the lights flicker and go out (happened nearly nightly while we were there.) Also I didn't like that the kayak guys had written a small sign asking for tips, and we are good tippers anyway, but I just didn't like that they were asking.
OVERALL: Great Place. Salvador, Walter, Daniel, YOGA GIRL, all very wonderful!!! Thank you Secrets Silversands - I'm telling everyone how wonderful you are so it won't be a "secret" much longer and we're planning on coming back real soon!
JF

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

My wife and I celebrated our 4th wedding anniversary this year at the SSS. We have stayed previosly at the Secrets Maroma beach, Valentin Imperial and 2 times at the Excellence Riviera (the first time when it was still a Secrets resort). We booked thru apple and couldn't pass up a good deal to stay at this resort for such a great price. Transportation from the airport went well. Upon arrival we were not greeted with the normal champagne and towel that we recieved at every other resort that we have visited. We arrived around 9:30 so we did not expect our rooms to be ready so we walked around the resort and grabbed some breakfast. I will say the breakfast buffet was awesome. Both my wife and I are what some may consider "boring" eaters. Or the meat and potato type of eaters. We are not into real fancy type foods and we like big portions. If you are the adventourous type of eater, then this place is for you. We knew coming into this that there are themed restaurants, as there are at the other resorts we have visited. Our fall back plan has always been room service. Well the room service here was a joke. The service itself was always great, but the room service selection was horrible. Basically you could have fried eggs ,or an omlette type thing for breakfast and lunch and dinner consisted of cesar salad, hamburger, hot dog, or chicken club sandwich. We loved the Grill, but it was only open 3 of the 7 days we were on the resort. Room-we had a jr swim out suite and the room was very nice. The glass door on the bathroom stall took a bit of getting used to. "For better or worse" I kept telling my wife. All the basic amenities are there. They do provide a little sunscreen for you if you forget. Toilets are very low-flow. Yada yada yada...took 2 hours for someone to come to the room to help. Bring tip money... Also keep in mind that when you close your patio door it automatically locks. We thought we were prepared as we had our spare key, but that does not help when the top security latch is secured on your door. It was interesting to see the security guy climb thru the X box to unlatch our door. Bring tip money...Pools - The pools here are nice and clean. There are also plenty of them. We stayed in building 2 and the pool outside our room was barely used as there was no drink service so we had the run of the place. What this pool and all the others lacked were both floaties and shade. No shade what-soever. I think there were 4 or 5 small huts on the beach but no where else. As for floaties...there may have been like 5 on the whole resort. I highly recommend you bring your own. The few floaties that are around are coveted like gold. We were lucky to get to use one for 1 of our 7 days. Beach - The beach itself is nice but don't plan on swimming here. As I have seen on other reviews you can walk down about 10 minutes from the resort and do your swimming. We took a long walk on the beach one morning and saw baby jellyfish washed up on the sand. Walk down a bit further and you will find the nude beach. Nuff said. Nighlife/shows - the shows are good. They try very hard to put on good shows and to keep you entertained. I look around and I think some of the other guests expect like Broadway quality shows..not going to get that here. There are plenty of activities going on around the resort for all to enjoy. We tend to be the loner type and didn't feel pressured into doing anything. Tipping there is optional. We tipped every chance we got. At other all inclusives we have run into waiters that actually sit with their hands out waiting for tips and some have gone so far as to stand in a line when you are walking out waiting to get a tip. Here it was the total opposite. When someone did receive a tip you could tell that they really appreciated it. I never felt like I had to tip either. All of their staff was certainly deserving of it. Intenet - you have to pay for wireless internet but "wired internet service" is available in your room at no charge. Just bring an RJ45 patch cable and you are good. Power outages - there are these weird power outages that happen at night often. No biggie as the lights only flicker for a second. It will reset your temperature on your ac and if you don't have a battery in your clock, it will reset that as well. Beyond that we made the best of the little issues we had and are certain that others will have a great time at this resort.

St. Louis, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

My husband and I do a lot of traveling to AI resorts. This one was fabulous. I booked a 6 Apple Square Deal for his birthday so we didn't know what resort we would be assigned to until we arrived at the airport. I'm happy to say we were not disappointed. The resort is beautiful and very clean. They were constantly detail cleaning all around the resort. Our room was wonderful, VERY clean. The decor was modern, but we like that. Check in was a breeze and our room was ready when we arrived at 11:00 (this has never happened before at any other resort - we usually have to wait for our room). By the way - the beds are the best we've ever had in Mexico.

FOOD: The first night we ordered room service which arrived hot and within 30 minutes. We ate at the Asian restaurant and the Sea Side Grill the other two nights. Neither disappointed. The food was great.

POOL: We mainly stayed in the main pool. I have to say this was the cleanest pool we've encountered on our travels. We have a pool at home and my husband is very sensitive to dirty pools.

SERVICE: This was the best. No matter what you requested the answer was, "My pleasure," and it was done. I've been to places where the answer was, "No problem," but nothing ever happened. The staff works very hard and it shows. In fact, on our last day - after we checked out - we were waiting for our transportation to the airport. My husband asked the doorman where he might be able to get a bloody mary (the bar was not opened yet). The doorman (I think his name was Jacob) left and returned to two bloody marys for us. How wonderful that after you checked out the service didn't stop. We never felt like we were being rushed out as we have in other resorts.

Of course, everyone has commented that the beach is so-so. I say so what. I was in Mexico at a fabulous resort.

We made one off-site excursion to Garrafon's. It was a lot of fun.

I can't say enough great things about this resort. It is top notch.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!