My husband and I just returned from a wonderful trip to Secrets Silversands. About us; we’re in our early 30’s, we vacation about twice a year to primarily all inclusives. We’ve spent time at Couples, Excellence, and AM resorts properties in the past. We booked Secrets Silversands because of the deep discounts offered due to the swine flu and it being the low season. We spend about half of what we normally do on vacations and I can honestly say that this trip was on par with trips we have taken that cost twice as much.
We booked our room trough Orbitz and when we booked we also booked the private shuttle using the Grey Line. Grey Line picked us up in a white Mercedes at the airport and took us to Silversands (stopped at the gas station for beer on the way). We arrived at Secrets around 4:00 and (no champagne, maybe cause we already had beer with us) were checked in quickly and upgraded to a pool view room on the fourth floor. We were in building 2 and had a big beautiful pool just downstairs. Our room was wonderful with a comfortable bed, internet connection, big bathtub, and a most comfortable bed. The balcony was wonderful and we probably would have used it in February but in early September it was just too hot outside.
The overall layout of the hotel was wonderful. The outdoor dining was casual and the indoor dining was more formal but the indoor temperature was kept comfortable and cool. There are pools all over and it was easy to find a quite pool or one with more of an atmosphere. We like to keep to ourselves and enjoy quiet so we gravitated toward the smaller pools further away from the ocean. The beach is pretty but as everyone said it’s not the best beach due to the rocks in the water.
Food – The food overall was outstanding. Breakfast was very good with endless options on the buffet. We never ate at the buffet for lunch and instead chose to eat outside at Oceana or the Seaside grill which were both very good. The dinners were wonderful! Our favorite place for the food was Ratatouie which served wonderful seafood. Our favorite place for the ambiance and dessert was the Mexican restaurant. We never had to wait for a table but we went early every day.
Shows – We watched Fosse and it was cheesy… as is every show I have ever seen at any resort so no surprise there. Some people like them, some don’t, and we’re the kind of people who would rather read a book back at the room
Activities – The gym was wonderful! Full of new equipment, TV’s, and it was nice and cool. We received a program of activities everyday and it appeared that they all took place. One girl would run around trying to get people involved (she yells, “whoot whoot” and it sounds like MTV spring break). We didn’t participate in anything so I can’t comment. We took long walks both north and south. The walk north is easy and there and plenty of resorts along the way. The walk south is difficult for the first ¼ mile but then it opens up and it’s an easy walk on a nice beach. We walked to Puerto Morales twice which was about 1 ½ to 2 hours and we took a cab back “home”. Puerto Morales is a great little town with a town square, cold beer, good ceviche, and tourist shops.
Bars – The bars and the bartenders were great and they did a wonderful job with lots of different types of alcohol to choose from. The big disappointment for me was the beer selection. I’ve been to Dreams in Puerto Vallarta and they had at least 8 different beers to choose from while Secrets Silversands had only Corona and Negro Modello. I would have appreciated an ice cold Tacate light or some other “light” beer that was not as skunky as a full flavored Corona.
- Bring a pool float. There are very few here. Before I left I thought the problem was people that hoarded them (like at Excellence) but that is not the case. There are simply VERY FEW pool floats. We left ours there but I don’t know who got it.
- Come prepared with something to clean out your ears after you swim. I’ve never had an ear infection in my life (and I swim and scuba dive) and I came home with a severe ear infection caused by swimmers ear which is picked up from the bacteria in the water. I am now on antibiotics and in a lot of pain. This could be due to a number of things but if I could do it all over again I would have been prepared
- Go to the Spa for a massage. The spa was WONDERFUL and a highlight of our stay. Come early and stay late and use the facilities. Inside is a wonderful hydrospa and outside is a cool refreshing pool.
- Bring a small candle for your bathroom (toilet area is separate). It’s small with no ventilation.
Please let me know if you have any questions. I would be happy to answer them. Overall – WONDERFUL place they I would definitely visit again and recommend to a friend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun is a chic, ultra modern all-suite adult-only unlimited-luxury resort featuring 433 suites, over 43,000 sq ft of pool areas and expansive manicured gardens, exceptional dining options, several bars ranging from elegant to swim-up. World class spa, a fitness center and two Jacuzzis ensure that guests are pampered and indulged. We are nestled on the coast of the Yucatan Peninsula, 15 miles south of Cancun and only twenty minutes from the Cancun International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, HotelTravel.com, Priceline, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun Hotel Puerto Morelos
- Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun Riviera Maya, Mexico - Puerto Morelos