“Relaxing, entertaining, all in all wonderful!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Petempich SM 12, Mz 31, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Lawton, Oklahoma
“Relaxing, entertaining, all in all wonderful!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

I was very nervous about staying here after reading the reviews. Our experience at Secrets Silversand was wonderful and nothing like some of the reviews. Granted nothing is perfect, but this was pretty close. We arrived on July 1, 2009 and left on July 5, 2009. We were there over the 4th of July Holiday and did not expect anything due to that being an American holiday. The hotel decorated with American flags, had a live band playing at the main pool, played games, water volleyball, cookout (food was wonderful) and later that evening had entertainment on the beach. No fireworks but we felt it was very nice of them to celebrate with us.

The beach is very nice, water is clear but in the water it was a little rocky. The seaweed was cleaned up everyday. You could walk just a little way down the beach and find really nice spots in to swim in the ocean that was not rocky.

The service, food and entertainment was great. We had absolutely no problems.

The room was beautiful, cleaned evryday and restocked everyday.

The only downfall I felt, which was really not that big a deal is that the resort is far away from everything. For example one day we went to Xcaret (which is really nice) and it took about 45 minutes to get there and $50.00 US dollars for taxi one way, but coming back it only cost $34.00 us dollars, Hmmmm. The main thing is don't be afraid to deal.

I would recommend and would return back to this resort. Life is too short to sweat the small stuff.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,777)
San Francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

This place is great for some people. Just not me. I found myself wanting to rather spend time in the Spa and my room.

When I first got there, the guy at the gate didn't believe me and my partner were guests there. We had to convince him we had decided to shell out the amount of money it takes to stay in this place (found way other more luxurious places for 1/4 theprice elsewhere that felt like paradise).

The food was really bad.

On the brightside. The spa does really rule. From the hydrotherapy circuit to the spa pool. The bar of detox drinks and snacks I still dream of... and the service is great. I went here everyday I was there. I could live in that spa. I got great massages and scrubs.

oh, and they have playboy and skinomax for those interested. and the bathtub/shower situation in the rooms are superb. If you do stay here, I recommend a room not by the big pool. One of the side rooms off the side pools would be nice... but even that's pushing it.

oh, and beaware.... on my jungle tour through aquaworld (set up by on site dive center), the driver tried to con 30 american dollars each out of me and my travel companion. then he got mad at us for not paying. the trip back was a bit weird.

oh, and the beach sucked hard. dirty with trash and plastic and seaweed. there are so many better beaches. I can't even believe they are allowed to keep it that way. they need an intervention.

Prairie Village, KS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

Check in: about a 5 minute wait and then approx 10 minutes to check in. We were upgraded to a pool view (from a garden view), simply by presenting our Preferred number. I wouldn’t really be too consumed over an upgrade, simply because you won’t be spending a lot of time in the room. No champagne or cold towels. No biggie.

The room: much bigger than we were expecting. It was clean, but the strange thing was that it looked somewhat beat up. Didn’t have to look hard to see paint on the shower tiles, caulk on the louvered door on the closet or some rather odd scratches on the silver panels hung on the wall and ceiling. Can’t speak for any of the other rooms, but this did seem to be the trend around the rest of the property. The in-room safe looked big enough for a laptop, but we didn’t bring one so I can’t say for sure.

The pools: great! Don’t bother with the main pool. It’s warm and too crowded. It’s also where they do all the assorted water activities. The infinity pool was the best! It’s quiet and the view is great. Drink service was excellent, especially on the end closest to the beach. Keep your eyes peeled for Amanda, she was the best waitress we had the entire time! TIP: if you intend on floating in the pool all day, bring your own floatie. The ones provided by the resort are usually gone pretty early in the morning. If you manage to snag one, the staff will take it away from you if you aren’t using it! We saw it happen more than a few times.

The beach: mixed, but no surprise. The beach itself is nice. There’s not a ton of shade, so it’s perfect for the diehard sun worshippers. As has been mentioned in just about every other review, the ocean itself is a little iffy. There’s lots of seaweed and even more rocks. I don’t recall seeing anyone actually in the water the week we were there. But if you walk down past the neighboring resorts, you might be able to find a better spot to enjoy the water.

The bars: hit and miss. All of the fruity, mixed drinks are made by hand. None of those Slurpee machines cranking out banana daiquiris or whatever. But it’s a mixed blessing… there’s only one blender in each of the bars. As a result, the drink service can be pretty slow at times. The Barracuda (between the main pool and the beach) was the worst. I made one trip to the swim up bar in the main pool and it was almost as slow and quite crowded. However, the lobby bar and the one right outside the lobby doors seemed to move along pretty smoothly. TIP: If you are drinking around the pool, slip your server $5 and they will just double up all of your orders. You will never go thirsty!

The food: inconsistent. Breakfast was usually done as a buffet of pretty standard fare. The big problem was that none of the food was ever really hot (other than the omelet bar, of course). To be honest, the French toast was very, very good. But it was usually room temp at best. Same with the pancakes, scrambled eggs and assorted breakfast meats, never piping hot, lukewarm at best. There were also tamales as well as a rotation of other Mexican dishes. There was also a pretty large selection or fresh fruit as well as dry cereal. Everything was good, but could have been soooooo much better! Opinions on the restaurants varied between all the people we spoke with. Our favorite was the Mexican restaurant (El Patio). The Japanese hibachi was good, but we didn’t try anything off of the menu. The others were good, but nothing really jumps out at me at this time.

The service: mixed. I had read a lot about bad or indifferent service on other Trip Advisor reviews. The bar service was ok, but the waitress service around the pools was at times, exceptional. Breakfast service was hit and miss but the servers in the assorted restaurants were excellent. We had an issue with our room (stopped up toilet) that required a call and subsequent visit to the concierge to get it remedied (11 hours later). I heard similar grumblings from other guests that had issues with malfunctioning air conditioners and refrigerators that weren’t cold.

Summary: good but not great. For a property that’s only a year old, we couldn’t get past how rough around the edges the place was. We booked at an incredibly low rate via Orbitz, and did not get the impression that we were treated any differently than the folks that booked at higher rates. Guys, unless you want to eat at one of the outside restaurants, YOU MUST WEAR LONG PANTS TO DINNER. I like the idea of a dress code at dinner, however, I thought it was silly that they let men wear jeans. The few guys that did, looked out of place. If this is your first all inclusive resort and you got a pretty good deal on it, I think you will really enjoy it. But folks that are paying top dollar might be a little underwhelmed when they pay for a 5 star resort, and get about 3 ½ stars.

Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at Secrets Silversands and I'm just kind of appalled at some of the negative reviews I've read. This is a wonderful resort with a very caring and helpful staff.

One recent review stated some things that simply were untrue. Sure, everyone's experience is different and we had a couple of little glitches - spotty house keeping, for instance - but certainly nothing that I allowed to ruin my vacation. Here are my observations:

1. The water is not brown nor is the beach trashy with 2 foot high seaweed. It is actually very pretty. The staff removes the seaweed several times a day and there are plenty of portions of the beach that are basically seaweed-free at all times. There are some sharp rocks in some portions so water shoes are highly recommended. And, as some have stated, if a pristine beach is tops on your list then this resort is not for you. Beautiful, swimmable beach areas are a very short and enjoyable walk down the beach in either direction.

2. Yes, one of the beach showers was broken. But there was another about 20 yards further down that was working fine. Stuff happens, ya know? True, there could be a few more palapas on the beach for shade, but there are many shaded areas around several of the pools and a very large shaded area where the building overhangs the infinity pool.

For value and ammenities, you can not beat Secrets Silversands. I was continually blown away by the quality of the food, the variety of restaurants and bars, the wonderful pool areas, the lovely decor and the accommodating staff. We are anxiously awaiting our return visit!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

well we've been away a few times since last posting, pretty negligent so i am going to get to it.
originally we had booked another resort, Valentin Imperial - when booking through expedia. Sunwing tour out of toronto, upon arriving at the airport we were told that we were bumped to another resort. checked it out on line. not being a real resorty type seemed a little different but ok, its 5:00 am we're not going? (its april and there is a snowstorm brewing outside - we're outa here lol)
lets get to the resort good, and not so good.
had ocean front rooms - great similar to a dreams resort, believe that they are owned by the same group
staff - awesome - can't do enough, towels and drinks when you arrive etc, drinks are top shelf and you never have to wait for a thing. the resort is spotless, you can't find a flaw.
food - hit and miss, sushi, not so great but awesome restaurant to do if you book the hibachi grill with friends, drink a lot of vino and you will have a ton of fun. the italian, not great, we ended up hooking into a group of about 12 people that were all hanging out by the 3rd day, so i booked the restaurant, told them to take their time, no rush to get in, but when we get in to look after us. got in, went down hill from there. drink order 20 minutes, food orders, another 20 minutes, etc etc just generally not looked after. since we had spoken with the manager, earlier on and had not seen him since we sat down (and the ladies were getting un impressed) i went and found him. he was in the back hanging out with a couple of the waiters having a great old time. had a quick conversation with him, and bang, we went from terrible to un believeable service.
breakfast - typical ai
lobby bar - will have tapas and hor d ouvres during the evening, live music etc we were lucky there was a Harley Davidson dealer convnetion there for a couple of days which had live bands etc in the theatre which they had brought in totally fun, great spot to chill very loungy
room service - was amazing, the breakfast, eggs bene with spinach was great
pools - clean great quite pool at the back behind our room had it all to ourselves
beach - i would suspect typical of the area, kind of rocky on the shore line at this resort, but if you walk down to others there were some nice spots to visit
this resort is perfect if you just want to hang out for a few days and not do a thing, workout, do yoga, eat, drink, and relax. average age was 30 - 45 ish most were pretty well travelled, and like us just looking to kick back for a few days. i spoke with the manager from valentin imperial and she was pissed that we got bumped, overbooked etc. so she gave us 300 usd, and a voucher for her resort. she even sent a van for us so that we could spend the day over there. we went it was nice, beach was much nicer, resort was more spread out and property was beautiful - probably a much nicer overall place to stay if you are more active.
secrets 4 - 5 star not much more that i can say,that was a first for the cancun area much prefer the pacific side. have fun

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
PCB, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2009

Just returned late 17/07/2009. What a great place and great time we all had at Secrets Silversands! 7 of us went to this resort for 6 days. From check-in through check-out, everything was fantastic. The team this property has assembled certainly knows how to make one's stay comfortable, fun and safe! The cleanliness of the resort in unbelievable! The wait staff in all the outlets were extremely pleasant ant talented. The food was delicious as was its presentation. The variety of eating choices was amazing. The beverage department of this operation did an excellent job of keeping our thirsts quenched with a broad variety of top-shelf concoctions. The entertainment throughout our stay was very enjoyable. The daytime activities and the pools where unbelievable. The beach area was kept clean by the staff as was every other beach at the properties adjacent to this one. The coast in this area is rocky. Seaweed and sea grass is abundant along this area of coastline. Only complaint......couldn't stay longer!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2009

Secrets Silver Sands is a phenomenal property if you have realistic expectations. If you are used to going to ultra-high end places where the staff is next to you every second waiting waiting for your to sneeze so they can get you a tissue, then this may not be the place for you. However, if you want a place where you can relax, there is outstanding food and great service, then this is the place for you. The service is really great but some people expectations are horrid. The staff is around enough so if you need something, you can get a hold of them. They do not hover.

That being said, I will start my review.

First off, my wife and I are 26 years old, have traveled to Mexico previously for our honeymoon, visited Costa Rica, Las Vegas and other popular places. We like to lounge around and be active equally. Hopefully that gives you some perspective.

Room
The room was outstanding. It had a huge two person tub that a 6'4 guy could fit in comfortably. You can't find that most places. The shower was also large and accommodating for more than 1. There was a double sink so both parties could get ready at the same time without the guy really invading the ladies space...which women appreciated (there is a hair dryer). The bed was large and as comfortable as you will find in Mexico. We come from a pillow top and the mattress did the job just fine. It also had a 32 inch flat screen tv but who cares if you are in Mexico. We had a swim out room (SEE PICTURE) which meant the pool was within 30 feet of our patio which had two private chairs for us to use. That way, if you don't want to bother with all the people at the pool, you can relax right by your room.

Secrets Box
Room service can be delivered to your "secrets box." There is a box, just off the door way, that someone can access from inside the room and outside the room if they have a key. If you ask for your room service to be delivered to it, the workers won't enter your room. They just leave the food and do not disturb you.

Room Service
Food arrives about 30 minutes after you order it. Sometimes it was warm, sometimes it was quite cool. It was the only subpar part of the experience. They could improve there. It was not that good but only because it was room temperature.

The food is ridiculously good. Of course there are things that I didn't enjoy, but you don't go to restaurants here in the States and like everything on the menu. We ate at all places other than the Japanese restuarant. There is great food at all of them. It was much better than other places we have stayed in Mexico. If I would recommend one thing it would be the Souffle at the Mexican restaurant.....amazing for a guy who doesn't really eat dessert.

Pools
There are a lot of pools to hang out at. Many buildings have their own pool you can walk to or there is a main pool with a swim up bar. The pools are great and do the trick as the beach has limited seating...see "Beach" below.

Bars
There are about seven bars in the hotel. Keep in mind, based on occupancy, they will not always all be opened. The one right next to our pool was not open when we were there. We had to walk 100 feet instead of 30...boohoo if that is too much and you are just lazy then keep reading. In addition to the bars, there are tons of waiters and waitresses who walk around and ask people in the pool and at the beach if you want a drink. If walking isn't your thing, wait ten minutes and ask a waitress. The drinks are good and are not watered down like other places. If you think it's watered down, have another.

Beach
Like I read before I left, there isn't a huge beach here. If you have to have the beach and want to lay on in and walk up and down it, this may not be the place for you. The beach is small as much of it was taken away buy a hurricane in the past. It does the trick if you need something small to take a short walk. Wading in the water isn't realistic. I am a trooper when it comes to dealing with rocks and other natural elements but the ocean floor is rocky and really uneven. Also, if you snorkel, there is not much at all to see. I would probably be better off to say there is nothing to see there. There are kayaks and small sailboats you can take out though. That was a lot of fun.

If you want a chair in the shade, get there early, they are gone early in the morning.

Other
One last thing to keep in mind. The hotel is a good 10 minute ride from the main road. That being said, you will not want to walk to the main road and get a cab. It is away from all other major places. Cabs to Playa Del Carmen, the main shopping area, are 45-50 dollars ONE WAY. If you got to Puerto Morelos, it will cost you 15 dollars each way. If you book a tour, the transportation is included, if not, it will be quite expensive.

If you want a quiet place to relax, take in the sun, get great service and food...this is the place. If you want a drunken mess, go to Cancun.

Definitely feel free to contact me with questions. I will answer honestly.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!