“Paradise found...” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Petempich SM 12, Mz 31, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
FREE Air Credit!
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago, Illinois
“Paradise found...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I have never been one to go to the same place more than once - I would rather explore new destinations... The Silversands however had us come back now for the 4th time... Every time we said it was great and could not be better - only to find the next trip that indeed they got even better...
We just returned 2 days ago from a 6 day get-away to the Silversands. The food - which was already top notch - got even better, the beach got better, there are new features around the hotel - the service (which was always outstanding) got even more outstanding... Everyone at that hotel cares - without exception. The maid, the cleaning personnel, the maintenance guys, the bar keepers, the servers, the cooks... not one person in that hotel that does not give you the utmost attention, greets everyone with a smile and most genuine concern that you are having not only a good - but a GREAT time. There is no hotel more relaxing... despite being at nearly 95% capacity - it is NEVER crowded... no lines for the restaurants, no reservations needed... you go when you want to go - and you are seated immediately. The pool never crowded - no crazy race to throw down your towel at 5:00 am. There is always room for everyone - any time. How do they do it you ask? I have NO IDEA... this is borderline magic...
The manager - Xavier Estelrich - personally took the time upon departure to greet and thank us personally. He explained the hotel's policies and how they keep aiming higher and higher to make sure the guest's experience is top notch every time and that they come back to what they can consider a second home. We do - and we can hardly wait to book our next trip to the Silversands. One of the top 25 all-inclusives in the world - it deserves that title and then some.

Room Tip: All rooms are equally great. Take a swim-out for most fun. There is an amazing pool (9 altogether...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Christian B,

On behalf of the staff and Management of our resort we would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your experience with us. It was a pleasure being your hosts during your recent gateway to the Mexican Caribbean.

As you already know, it is a pleasure to be your host always. I am truly glad to read such a wonderful review from you.

We are proud of Secrets Silversands team; they have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

With that said, we sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,990)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Loved our yearly holiday here staff went up and beyond to accommodate guests. The staff we had most encounters with Adrian, Andrea,Delmy, Nancy, Antonio, Itjia, India, Felipe,Juan, Luiz and Esther went up and beyond there duties but it's unfair to say the rest didn't because anyone you come in contact with are very nice and helpful. We arrived to a champagne reception and cold towels asked to take a seat and relax while others in front were being checked in i new from that moment the flight off nearly 10 hours was a distant memory relaxation had begun. After a quick and friendly check in we were shown shown to our room's along the way we were given a tour off the facilities a nice touch because we had arrived late on and trying to get your bearing in the morning can be daunting. Arrived at awell appointed room nice and cool to which a chiiled bottle of more sparkling wine was waiting along with miniature deserts. After a quick wash it was straight down to the lobby bar for a night cap then back to the room feeling a bit peckish we ordered room service a club sandwich and a beef burger both were beautiful. Our first morning in paradise as we arrived for breakfast was greeted with Andrea with a big smile and warm welcome along with a line off waiter's ready and eager to serve. Then on to the beach white sands all the way there is a natural reef in the sea making it in parts rocky but not a fault of the hotel bring water shoe's and as for the seaweed its a natural occurrence more so in high tide but the staff pruning the beach day in and out done there best which in my view was above and beyond. While I'm on about the beach there is no need to move from where you are sitting the staff will sort you out with your catering needs food or drink our first week we had the lovely Delmy looking after all our needs what a star the following week we had an equally very pleasant gentleman Felipe both a credit. We were there for the world cup was excellent well catered for and such a buzz with Nancy taking orders from the stands so nobody missed any action and pre match fun. The restaurants are excellent and the only one I can't talk about is El Patio because a member of the family is a very picky eater. Saying that we ate at all the rest and had superb meals can't say a bad thing about the food or wait staff and there's also a coffee shop that does savoury items and sweet cracking concept for an all inclusive. Overall I would recommend this resort there's something for everyone.

Dear mildredbelfast1953,

We are glad to read that you have enjoyed our staff’s attentive service and restaurants selection. you saw, we are pride for working here which is one of the reasons our staff is always happy and guests like you make our job a very interesting and funnier.

We are also delighted to know that you have enjoyed the treats of all the restaurants, the chefs are constantly in training to cook better. So the next time you come, is going to be better. Next time, you definitely should try El Patio restaurant. If you do not know what is a “Molcajete” contact me and I will let you know.

Once again, we thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful review of your experience with us.
We look forward to have the pleasure of hosting you back in the near future.

dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was our second time staying at secrets silversands. Excellent resort. Very relaxing with all the spa music surrounding the resort. Our family stays here because we know the restaurants have excellent food. There is not one restaurant that served bad food during our last two vacations here. Whether its a company trip or family (over 18) trip choose this one. This is the most relaxing of all the secrets resorts we have found. Due to our repeat business we were upgraded to a "Honey Moon Suite". Rest is history.

Room Tip: Ocean front rooms are the best. The swim out are not really true swimouts and most of the time you...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear rsmkmarshall,

Thank you for your loyalty and for posting such a great comment on TripAdvisor. We are proud to provide excellent experiences.

We will be waiting in you home away from home.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I booked this property for an adults only family vacation and loved it!
Excellent food everywhere & great bar service at the pool (thanks Esther)!
The entertainment team was fabulous, especially India, Jhonny, and Moreno, fun and energetic!
We were even able to send baby sea turtles on their way-lots of things to make it a very memorable experience!

Stayed July 2014
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Lori W,

Thank you for your excellent review on TripAdvisor.

We are truly happy to read you enjoyed our adults-only resort and our Unlimited-Luxury® concept. As you experienced, the blend of those two factors provide a unique experience which create lovely memories.

It is our hope to be your host in the future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I must of read review after review. I couldn't understand why all of a sudden so many good reviews. I wanted to go to this resort for years, but didn't want to be disappointed.

Finally it's my turn to rate this resort. It was so wonderful I would go back but unfortunately I heard Secrets Maroma was a step up, so I gotta go to Maroma. I sure can't wait till next July. Because if it's better I'll be spending be in pure paradise. Although I can't imagine how they could do much better other than the beach.

Let me say Excellence Playa Mujeres (EPM) is my favorite. They would probably always be a favorite because of 4 things: 1.) Lobsters and prime steaks for free; 2.) Upgraded mini bar which includes room service menu and "big bottle of Liquor like Crown royal, Don Julio and etc.; 3.) The "spa" the best hydrotherapy included with spa massages. 4.) Their anniversary package which includes dinner on the beach, great turn down service and free massages.

I had to state this because secret silversands has figured it out; which is what makes a great vacation. That service, swim up suites, and never saying no is ideal. Pampering is what they delivered. How I rate the two? Well they're pretty close. Except SSS don't offer those things I mentioned, but the service, swim up suites, and staff made up for that.

Why I loved it so much? The wait staff. They were the best I ever experienced. I think they have the right amount of staff because no matter where you are, you will never want! This blew me away! There were times when I know we didn't tip and they would still come back frequently asking do you need anything and always saying it's my pleasure. I think they were happy with thank you and doing their job. I don't know? But with such great service you can't help from wanting to tip. If you are not in position, don't worry you won't feel pressured. Seriously when you dine in the USA you tip 18% and half the time they don't deserve it. Here you don't get a bill but $10.00 for dinner and $5.00 for lunch and $2.00 for breakfast is about right. Just my opinion. All my orders were dead on. I couldn't believe it. Especially times when I thought we ordered too much or if they weren't listening like through room service. They would even send things like ketchup up and mayo or salt and pepper. If you're back home you better mention or you're short. Little things like that really matters because it keeps you relaxed. Not wondering how will I get the ketchup without my fries getting cold?

Food- all very good. Breakfast had everything including some Mexico food. Lunch you had 3 choices, which is crazy because I found the buffet to be all one would need. It changed with a different theme everyday. There is something going on around 1:00 or 1:30 that may have food choices. So look out for it on the daily activities schedule. Dinner food was all good came out nice and hot. The only thing lacking is the deserts. There was a coffee shop with great coffee and good afternoon snacks. I loved the automatic trashcan! The barefoot grill had theeee best burgers, trust. You could even get ice cream (strawberry) cones from here. I already spoke about room service. Just want to say if you don't see it just order it. They won't say no. Sorry I hope that don't sound bad. In fact no one anywhere ever told us no about our picky choices.

Room- the view was the most gorgeous. The waitstaff are the best. The come around about every 5 minutes. Taking your order and cleaning up you mess. This is the reason i chase swim up suites. Hoping to find tranquility and relaxation at the pool. This swim up suite was ideal. Perfect view, drinks not watered down, service consistent, room service food good and efficient, nice balcony with bed and pillows, lounge chairs for some sun with pool towels awaiting, and nice warm pool steps away to take a dip. I'm just getting goosebumps from reminiscing! Moving on the room had everything you needed except deodorant, perfume/cologne, and make up. So, if you want to pack lite please do. Our room stayed with fresh linens. Also great water pressure from rain shower.

Beach- If they fixed the beach I bet they'll be number one of their resorts. This also depend on the person traveling. What's your preferred vacation. My preferred vacation was here because I loved the swim up suites and this resort has been the best in that department. The sand was soft. Someone really cleans it early every morning and writes in it. There are sunbeds, lounge chairs, and I also saw swings. You could take out kayaks or go sailing. What more could I need.

Spa- was wonderful! Nice water treatments. I'll say the massages were on point because it sure relax my excited husband he fell asleep. Please please check out the little spa table in the lobby before going to the spa because on our way to the spa we saw Sean. He offered us a better deal than the one we pay for. We had paid for 50 minutes couple for $230.00. Sean offered $230.00 for a 80 minutes couple message with a facial. What? I was upset because he stopped us on our way to the spa. But his package was only for new customers, not customers with appointments. You can't cancel unless you're 4 hours in advance. Just please remember before going because after speaking to him I felt we were getting robbed.

Activities- were fun. I played black jack and won a redskins cup, which was great. My husband played ping pong and got a backpack. We also went on the bike tour, which was interesting and a 1 hour bike tour. I tempted to do Zumba. We also attended margarita demo which was a cool way to try different margaritas. I felt it was so much to do just look at the schedule and choose.

Lastly we booked the preferred club which isn't necessary except maybe 3 bottles of small liquid. You could get premium drinks from any bar. In fact my best bar was the lobby bar. If you are looking for a intriguing vacation this would be it. I learned that most reviews are spot on. Figure out what you want from a vacation. Read the reviews and judge from there. No resort can be perfect. I can vouch for them and say if you have a problem mention it and problem solve. Go have fun. Secrets Maroma here I come.

Dear senkia22carter,

We would like to thank you for choosing our resort as your host on your recent gateway to our destination. It was a pleasure having you and we appreciate that you have taken the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor.

We are very happy to learn that your stay was a most pleasant one, and that you were highly satisfied with our service. We have strived to deliver the most memorable experience to our valued guest. We highly appreciate your gracious comments here and have shared it with our team.

We sincerely look forward to welcome you back on a future occasion and provide you with the exceptional quality and service that characterizes our brand and resort.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

**Disclaimer - this is a VERY detailed review so unless you want details, skip this review!**

My husband and I decided on this as our honeymoon spot. We booked for 7 nights back in December. We were here from July 14-21st and stayed in a junior swim up preferred suite. Here are the details of our experiences:

AIRPORT PICK UP: When we booked online, we chose to be picked up by Amstar, which is the hotel's airport service. There was a small fee but we wanted to be picked up by a trustworthy service. After we got through immigration, we were bombarded with people asking us if we wanted a ride. I always read about how sketchy people were at the Cancun airport so we made sure to only find and speak to an Amstar representative. Thankfully, we found one. Tip: They all wear the same blue/red Hawaiian shirts so don't be misled by anyone. The drive wasn't too bad - it was about 20 minutes. The resort seems to be extremely secure - there is a small sign and the driver had to show ID before going through. Then there was a ~1 mile long straight drive before we got to the actual resort. The driver had to show ID before being able to go past that as well.

CHECK IN: We were greeted with champagne upon entering which was a nice way to start our vacation. They took our baggage and handed us a tag. Since we were preferred customers, we were taken to a different location for check in. At that location, we had to wait an hour before going to our room since it wasn't ready. There were a few snacks and we were starving so we took advantage of them. Nothing too fancy, just a few sandwiches and desserts. There is also a bar there but we didn't use that service. While we were waiting, there was an employee that came to talk to us about the 'resort coupons'. PLEASE be wary of these! I didn't read the fine print and thought they were coupons to services but just know they are simply a DISCOUNT to extremely pricey services (spa, beach dinner, etc.) When it was time to be escorted to our room, the concierge had our bag with him and walked us to our room.

ROOM: The room is exactly the way it looks in the pictures - beautiful! There is a stocked mini bar with various beers and soda's. There was also a bag of m&m's, pretzels, and peanuts. I'm not sure if this was exclusive to preferred customers or not, but the size of the toiletries was impressive - about double what you normally get at hotels and it smelled GOOD. There was shampoo, conditioner, lotion, SPF 15 lotion, shower gel, soap, shoe shine polish, a shower cap, a razor, shave cream, a mini sewing kit..and plenty of towels. We opened the curtains and the pool was right there (with grass in between but we didn't mind). Now here's the part that sucked: there were mini ants EVERYWHERE. ALL over the room. If they didn't move, we wouldn't have even noticed them..and that was disturbing in it's own way. I'm not sure if this was because we were on the first floor but it was so annoying. We had some OFF spray and that helped a little, but it was still an issue.

POOL: We only went in the pool that was right outside our room - it was the smaller preferred pool. There were a few floaties but people seemed to hog them and save them for others so that part sucked but other than that, it was pleasant. From time to time, large groups of rowdy friends would come by and ruin the quiet/chill atmosphere, but thankfully it wasn't often. The rowdy groups usually stayed at the main pool where they have more activities like water aerobics. The waitresses were really good about coming by and asking for our drink orders..which brings me to my next point.

SERVICE: This was TOP NOTCH. No complains whatsoever in this area. EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE had such a wonderful attitude. Whenever a person said 'thank you', their response is ALWAYS 'it's my pleasure'. The sad part is that people definitely took advantage of them and I felt so bad for the poor lady that was serving drinks at the pool we were in because before she got a chance to deliver drinks, people were already giving her orders for new ones and she just said okay with a smile. We always tipped a few dollars but we didn't see very many people doing it. The servers were always so appreciative of tips and tend to take care of you a bit more if you tip them :) Room service comes 3 times a day - once to clean your room, once to stock your mini bar, and once at night to get your room ready for bed time (which was nice but sort of unnecessary since they just take off the throw pillows).

DRINKS: I'm not much of a drinker, so I had no issue with the drinks. I had a bunch of 'girly' drinks and they were tasty. My husband is a beer guy and definitely enjoyed their selection of beers. There are TONS of bars here but I will say one thing - I rarely saw a drunk person. I'm not sure if people here are good at handling their alcohol or if the drinks were watered down.

FOOD: This is what docked major points for me, sadly. The food was a big giant disappointment to me. The room service food (which is 24 hours) was greasy and disgusting! We only had it once and swore never to have it again. Barefoot Grill was by far my favorite - the grilled chicken was amazing. The other restaurants pretty much sucked for me since chicken is the only meat I eat. There was probably only one chicken option at each restaurant and sadly..they were all awful to me. There were times where I couldn't even order an appetizer because it was only beef or seafood. That being said, if you're a vegetarian, you won't be happy with the food. World Cafe (only open for breakfast and lunch) was a hit or miss. If I HAD to pick a favorite restaurant, I'd pick the Italian one - Portofino. If I had to pick a worst, it's a tie between Ratatouille and El Patio (which is sad considering it's a Mexican restaurant). Himitsu is the only restaurant where you need to make a reservation, but this will be more enjoyed by the meat eaters. On a more positive note, the restaurants are very beautifully decorated and the meals are plated very nicely. Also, CoCo's Cafe had delicious coffee drinks!

BEACH: This hotel isn't lying when they say they are ocean front. The ocean is definitely visible as you're walking around the resort and the beach itself is only a few footsteps away. The ocean is gorgeous...but there is so much seaweed and that ruins it :(. There is tons of seaweed in the shallow part of the beach and once you get past that, there are ROCKS. I'm not sure if the hotel can do anything about that but please take precaution!

ENTERTAINMENT: There seems to be something going on every night, but not all of it was fun/exciting to us but it might be for you! They gave us a newsletter every night about what was going on the next day so you'll know in advance

GYM: It has your basic machines and isn't very packed. There are towels and water available.

SPA: Didn't use the services but seems VERY expensive.

OVERALL AMBIANCE: This is a beautiful hotel that is very well kept. I'd definitely recommend it, but probably won't be returning due to the food issue. LOTS of honeymooners so it's definitely a great spot for a romantic vacation! Very scenic so bring your camera!

CHECK OUT PROCESS: We used the Amstar service to travel to the airport so the day before, they called us to double check/confirm. Concierge came by to pick up our luggage and we left at the time we were scheduled to leave! No issues there - pretty painless process.

Room Tip: If you're a honeymooner, be sure to bring your marriage license or you won't get the perks...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Amber S,

Thank you for sharing your feedback through this mean. Your comments are truly valuable for us, as this allow us to improve our service levels and product.

We truly regret hearing that our evening dining options have not met your expectations; we encourage our guests to provide us with their feedback in regards of our services during their stay in order for us to be able to offer them the best memories and experiences of their holidays with us. Therefore we appreciate your kind remarks and be certain that your comments will not be overlooked.

We are working on a daily basis to exceed our guest’s expectations and would love to have the opportunity to host you again in the near future to offer you a remarkable stay.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Everything perfect . Only thing was water at the beach very rocky pack some sandals to wear in water. Recommend snorkeling outings.had an awesome view of ocean coul see cruise ships from time to time the food was excellent.

• Stayed July 2014
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Dear ChrisKrebs,

Thank you for your comment on TripAdvisor. We are definitely glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.
We truly hope to see you on paradise soon.

info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!