“Amazing vacation. Beautiful resort!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Petempich SM 12, Mz 31, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
New York City, New York
“Amazing vacation. Beautiful resort!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

Let me start by saying we booked this trip thru Hotwire the day before we arrived. We wanted a very last minute relaxing weekend and that is exactly what we got. We were unsure if by using hotwire we might get less than stellar service since we got a last minute discounted rate, but that was not the case.

First the bad. Checking in wasn't the greatest experience. They told us our room wasn't ready but offered to hold our luggage while we changed in their "hospitality room". By the time we changed our room was ready. (Literally 5 minutes later) I asked the bellman if I could bring my own luggage to my room because I didn't want to wait for it. He said it wasn't necessary and they would bring it right up. 2 hours and multiple calls later, no luggage. We wasted so much time calling because the front desk said they "lost our luggage". Long story short, the luggage finally arrived and they blamed the error on the front desk staff, which I later believed to be true because the girl who checked us in also didn't mention coupons we were entitled to and amenities we should have been aware of. Lastly, they lost our transfer when we were leaving. We had prepaid when we arrived for both airport transfers. When I called the night before our departure to confirm the timing, they had no idea what we were talking about. They kept claiming we needed to pay again or just take a taxi. 20 minutes of phone calls and annoyance and they finally had everything settled. What was most annoying was that several people kept trying to get us a manager to help sort out the issues, but one could never be found.

Now the good. Everything else!! The place was clean and beautiful. The staff was so willing to help with anything. Kayaks, tennis, activities all included. Clean rooms. Turn down service. The nightly band was really great, and they even had a band who played during the day one day.

The food was good. Not great but on the spectrum of all inclusive food it was well done. The French Restaurant was amazing. The Hibachi was less than impressive. I would skip it if given the choice.

The beach was BEAUTIFUL. Not great for swimming as the reef sort of takes over the entire area. You can tell they tried to clear a spot for swimming and that was where most people hung out.

A quick 15 minutes from the Cancun airport and you are in paradise. We will definitely come back again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,734)
Paphos, Cyprus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

As a Senior Contributor to Trip Advisor I like to give a fair and balanced review and in fairness I have very little to add to all the other glowing '5' star reviews which this hotel attracts and I have nothing negative to say. Unlike the lucky American guests, who only have a short haul flight to get there, my wife and I travelled over 11,000 kilometres from our home in Cyprus in the Mediterranean with the combined journey time of almost 15 hours flying and two flights over two days it was worth every single moment when we eventually arrived. Silversands is a classy, well run establishment where the customer is the number one priority. The staff are wonderful and attentive, the themed restaurants always had a table for us without any queuing, the food choices, presentation and quality was exceptional and our Junior Suite Room on the 4th floor overlooking the main pool area, with views out over the ocean was awesome. The entertainment staff work exceedingly hard and there is no push from them whatsoever to take part in any activity, it is down to the individuals personal choice.This was singularly one of the best holidays we have ever had and we enjoyed every moment of our two week stay. We even indulged ourselves with a 'Couples Massage' at the Spa which was really, really good and so relaxing! I must mention two members of staff who helped make our stay even more pleasurable, Isaias Barillas our favourite barman and Suky our poolside waitress. It would be remiss of me not to mention the excellent service provided by the concierge team. I suppose the key question is would we go back and the answer is a very big yes, in a heartbeat; should time and finances permit.

Brampton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was my first time in Mexico and I was not disappointed at all. The staff was very helpful, the beach and pools were beautiful,the food was good, and the rooms were amazing. We met a worker named Diego, and he was awesome. He hooked us up with dessert every night no matter what restaurant we were at, whether he was there or not! I would highly reccommend this resort.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Sara D

We appreciate the time that you have invested on writing an overview of your stay with us.

It is great to read that your first time was excellent, the first impression is very important to us, no only for our Resort, the destination is very important to.

We hope to host you in not a distant future.

Red Deer, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The staff at this hotel are amazing! Rooms were always cleaned and beds turned down. It was our Anniversary and towel decorations and flower petals very nice touch.
We had a swim out room which we loved since we couldn't swim at the beach!!! I also liked that is was adults only.
After the third day my husband got very ill and then both of us had stomach problems the remainder of the week! Some restaurants better than others! I will not return to this resort! I preferred the Princess resort we went to 2 years ago!

Room Tip: You can not swim in the ocean!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, April 1, 2014
Der shawnap5,

Thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

I must say that I am truly impressed for your rating because you started your review very well. One of the best things in our resort and in the world is the human contact. We are proud of our staff service; they are the best asset of this resort.

We understand one factor that is very important for any traveler, the cleaning and attention to details. Those two characteristics where positively mentioned in you review, which is why I really do not understand the rating.

Of course some restaurants are better than others, for example if a guest love the Mexican cuisine, El patio restaurant is going to be better for him, so it really depends on the person because all of our restaurants are delicious.
Is very important to mention, our food and beverage preparation facilities are inspected on a regular basis by the local hygiene authorities. The food as well as our staff is also tested and properly inspected for safety and hygiene.

We truly appreciate your overview since this allows us to know our highs and lows in order to improve our service levels.
We look forward to welcome you back to provide you the memorable stay that you deserve.

Brownsburg, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

This was our 2nd trip to Secrets Silversands Resort! It was just a beautiful as it was 4 years ago, but you can tell that the resort is starting to age somewhat.. We were greeted right away with a cold cloth and a glass of champagne as soon as we walked into the hotel. Jessica at the front desk was wonderful and worked with us to get us a perfect room for our 30th anniversary.
Our room was not ready when we arrived at 11:00 am, which we were not expecting it to be, as check-in is listed as 3:00 p.m. They have wonderful concierge rooms to use, so we changed into your swimsuits and headed out to the pool. We checked back with Jessica at 2:00 and our room was ready.
We arrived to our room and had a bottle of chilled wine waiting for us for our anniversary. 2 days later we received another bottle of chilled wine and a letter stating they apologized that are room was not ready at check-in. So nice....

The service at the restaurants and bars is excellent!! Top shelf alcohol and we love the beer selection of Corona and Modelo. Only complaint is that the beer is too warm!

*Breakfast at the World Cafe each morning was great! I had a delicious egg white omelet almost every day(wish I could remember the girls name that made it) and the fruit is so fresh and great. Also, the vanilla lattes at Coco Cafe were wonderful.

*Lunch ~ our favorite was eating at the outdoor restaurant, the shrimp tacos were awesome and the ahi tuna appetizer, which we ate twice. World Cafe has a buffet each day which is nice. Also, the outdoor bar grills hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, nachos, they will even chop up the chicken for your nachos. This is very handy if you want to stay by the pool and eat.

Dinner~ we ate at the El Patio (Mexican), Portifino, Bordeaux, Himitsu,Ratatoulle~ our favorites were the Himitsu and Bordeux which we ate at twice.

This resort is great for many reasons. You can participate in Bingo, ping pong tournament, water aerobics, games by the pool, yoga, etc. The Entertainment staff is wonderful. That being said, we did all of that the first trip, but this trip we kept to ourselves at a smaller pool during the day, but it was next to the main pool so we could hear and see the activities. A couple of days the chefs came out pool side and served sample appetizers. Also, one day the Mariachi Band came out and played around the pool. That was really neat.

Beach~ We did go out to the beach one morning around 8:00 am and all of the chairs in the shade were already reserved with towels. I asked one of the workers what time you had to be down there to get a chair and he said 6:30 a.m. Being on vacation it was not worth getting up that early to fight for a chair. The beach is nice and we did take a walk.

Several days they had a live band at the outdoor bar, which could be heard all over was awesome!!! Would love to hear that everyday.
Rooms~ were beautiful and kept clean. Loved our little towel animals and heart with flowers on the bed that our maid had made.The first stay we were on the top floor and this time we had a swim-out. We loved the swim-out.

This is a beautiful resort and we will definitely be coming back for a 3rd time soon!!!

Room Tip: Love the swim-out room.
Lima, Peru
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

The staff in this hotel are of the best I have ever experienced on my travels, We were on our honeymoon and they couldn't do enough for us. The level of service in all the restaurants and bars, coupled with the frienliness Hector bell boy ,Edith Concierge and Jessica at the front wonderfull staff .. The entertainment staff was second to none- at no point in our 2 weeks there did we really have to lift a finger. The food and drink selection was excellent, and the special ocassions such as private dining on the beach and sitting at the Chefs table in the Ratatouill restaurant and the amazing SPA treatments really made the difference to our holiday. Can't sing it's praises enough!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
London, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

This was our 6th stay at a Secrets Resort, and the first time at Secrets Silversands. It has a lot to offer and the Entertainment Staff does a great job keeping activities going night and day. I guess my expectations were too high, because I was disappointed in the food, (and sometimes the service in some of the restaurants). Twice my dinner was not cooked properly (raw salmon one night, and undercooked fish another evening). We found some of the dinner meals to be very greasy, and the salads seemed on the verge of going bad. On the other hand the service at the World Cafe every morning was exceptional and the breakfast buffet was excellent - always fresh and so many options. The food from room service was very good as well. The beach has beautiful sand and if you bring water shoes you can go swimming, but otherwise I wouldn't recommend it, there are a lot of rocks on the un-even bottom. On some days the water was clear, and on other days it was cloudy. The beach crews do work non-stop sweeping up the seaweed, but it just keeps rolling in. It is a good walking beach, you can walk for miles toward Cancun, past some open areas and resorts. I wouldn't recommend walking the other direction, unless you are adventurous, as you have to climb over rocks, seaweed and some pretty shady areas. The rooms at Silversands were excellent; because this is an older resort I didn't expect much, so I was pleasantly surprised with our oversized shinny room and very large balcony overlooking one of the quiet pools (sea view far off). Marble bathroom, two sinks, walk in rain shower & jacuzzi tub, large sitting area, very clean and bright. This resort offers yoga every morning at 9:30AM - it is regularly scheduled. I was there for one week as one of their guest yoga instructors. I loved teaching at this resort, and every class was full (average 18 people each morning). The class takes in the gazebo over the water. it is a wonderful place to do yoga listening to the sound of the waves while you find your zen, so make sure you try a class if you go. :-)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Aldo D, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Dear 222fit,

It is great to read that you’ve found the every suite of our resort as modern and chic. Which is our concept and personality. Also we are always happy to be the host of a Yoga instructor. As you already know, doing yoga in paradise is an experience.

Once again, we thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.

We look forward to have the pleasure of hosting you back in the near future.

Info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!