“WARNING!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun

You added Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun to your Saves list
Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun
4.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Bahia de Petempich SM 12, Mz 31, Puerto Morelos 77580, Mexico   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Puerto Morelos
Vancouver, Canada
“WARNING!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

I was at this resort for the last 2 weeks of December, 2012. The resort itself is first class. It is excellent in most respects, except one of importance. IF you like to swim in the ocean rather than the resort's pools, be warned that this resort, and every other excellent, expensive resort along this particular shoreline, has a sea bottom lined with jagged, sharp rocks that wholly impede your access into the water. Further, one has to walk out over these rocks for a considerable distance to get to a shallow sandbar, and then even farther to a depth where swimming is comfortable, and at this distance there are boats and jet skis whizzing by.The closest beach where one can safely walk out into the ocean on sand is a 25 minute walk away. In addition, there was a HUGE amount of debris that washed into the shoreline every day. Not just slimy reeds, but also pieces of plastic bags and other crap. You couldn't come out of the water without being covered in slimy reeds. Due to this one factor, I would never stay in this area again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Dear Robert C,

We would like to thank you for your recent visit and for your time to post a review. All of your comments are very important for us to identify our opportunity areas and take the proper actions to improve them.

We regret to know that our beach have not met your expectations, as you mentioned before, our staff is always monitoring and cleaning our beach to keep it clear of seaweed, this condition is caused because our proximity to the coral reef, this wonderful natural gift is the second largest one in the world and is a protected area, there you can experience the most incredible snorkel and diving experiences ever.

We hope to have the honor of welcoming you back to Secrets Silversands allowing us the opportunity of providing you a truly wonderful and memorable experience

Warm regards,

info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,776)
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and I recently spent a week at SSS, and very much enjoyed it. I wish I could give it 4.5 stars, but that was not an option. For no other reason that to help people better understand my review, I will say that we are a couple in our 30's, travel quite a bit and have been to Mexico (mostly Cancun and RM) around 15 times, both in all inclusive, and non; so we have a good basis for comparison. I will try to offer up my thoughts without being completely redundant to other reviews, as well as offer some hopefully helpful suggestings.
First off, the service at SSS was generally speaking the best we have experienced in Mexico. The staff truly goes above and beyond to make you happy. There is literally nothing too big or small that, if asked, they will not at least attempt to satisfy that request. Of course there were some grumpy people here and there, but that is to be expected, and in no way indicative of the staff as a whole. They are genuinely concerned about making sure you are happy, and that is a rarity these days.
The hotel, as others have stated, is gorgeous, and meticulously maintained. When we were there, they were making repairs above the infinity pool, so that was pretty much unusable. That wasn't a problem as we prefer to be around the action in the main pool, as well as have easy access to the pool bar. The main pool can get pretty rowdy at times as that is were the entertainment crew does their thing, so those wanting quiet will probably want to head elsewhere. We like to drink and get a little day buzz going, so we parked it there. Some say the rooms are "tired" but I disagree. They are contemporary and well kept. The resort opened in 2008 so to say it is showing its age is ridiculous. We didn't upgrade our room, and it was spacious and beautiful. The only thing we did not like was that the lighting was a little bit of a pain. Some rooms have slot you put your room key in when you enter, and it turns the lights on, as to save electricity. Ours did not have that, and we had to walk around and turn on the lights one by one. There wasn't a main lighting system, so it was a little annoying, but not that big of a deal.
I chose to use my resort credits and get the WI-FI, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. The internet was not fast in our room, but no terribly slow. And at the pool I was able to use FaceTime on my IPad and videochat with my family. That was pretty cool being able to show them live video of the resort.
The beach is what it is. For those who say it ruined their time, I say do better research next time. It is no mystery about the water being regular looking water, or it being rocky. Spend 2 minutes on TA and you will know this. The BEACH however is nice. Very soft sand and plenty of room to hold a lot of people. They are building a small pier which will look nice and hopefully allow people get beyond some of the rocks and enjoy the water more.
The food was excellent at times, and good at others. The buffet in the morning and at lunch was excellent as was most of the ala carte restaurants. There are always going to be things people don't care for due to personal preference. Our favorites included the salmon at the Mexican as well as the steak at the French. You won't be dissapointed with the food, but expect to not love everything you try.
Our biggest, and pretty much only complaint was the dress code, or the lack of adherence to it. Others on TA have complained how they were so strict, and that blows my mind. At night, I would say 30% of the guys wore jeans, and many wore athletic shoes, or something not remotely resembling a dressier shoe. We saw people with ripped jeans, t-shirts, etc, and they were allowed into the restaurants. We chose to dress up, my wife in nicer dresses, nothing too uppity, and myself in linen. We wish the dress code would have been more strictly enforced.
As for suggestions/tips:
-Bring your own bodywash. None is provided for non preferred club.
-Bring a night light. We had to leave the light on above the toilet at night, and it is very bright. You are in Mexico, you will be going to the bathroom at night.
-Bring a clothes pin or chip clip for the blinds. Ours did not close completely, so in the morning, the sun shined directly in our eyes. This won't affect most rooms, but I wish we would have had one.
-Bring lots of hand sanitizer...and use it. You will be thankful you did.
-Mosquitos come out at night. I left the balcony door open and was smashing them for 20 min. Not bad around the entertainment area, mostly isolated areas.
-Plan accordingly with your swimsuit. To check in and actually get your luggage delivered can take a while. There is a room to change so you can hit the pool ASAP.
-Know that the small front end loader used to clean the beach is up and running at sunrise, so the people in the ocean front rooms on the north end get an early wake up call. Also for room placement, know that the entertainment shows at night are sometimes done on the pool deck. If you are an early to bed person, request a room away from that.
Overall, our week at SSS was excellent, and we are thinking about a quick return in March for a quick 5 night stay. Know what to expect, and don't sweat the little things, and you will have a fabulous time at one of the best resorts in Riviera Maya.

Room Tip: Away from the main pool deck if you go to bed early.
Dear WITravelAddicts,

It was an honor to welcome you home enjoying a great and relaxing time time.

We are overjoyed to know that you have enjoyed the friendly staff service who were attending every request during your stay.
Thank you for your kind comments about the resort and rooms conditions. It´s an honor to know that you have enjoyed the food selection at the restaurants.

We regret to know that you were not completely satisfied with the dress code restrictions, we will make improvements for this important area.
Thank you for your tips for other travelers.

We look forward for your next visit.
Sunny Regards,

Fort McMurray, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed for a week at Secrets Silversands during Christmas 2012. It was our second stay with a Secrets hotel. We were married at the Secrets Wild Orchid Jamaica in July 2011, and we loved that hotel so much that we decided to stay with the chain for our Mexico trip, and we were not disappointed.

As with our previous stay, the room was beautifully appointed and spacious, spotlessly clean, and the bed was very comfortable. The food was amazing, I think maybe even better than it had been in Jamaica. My husband and I are vegetarians, but we still always had lots of choices and even the odd time when we asked the waiters to change something on the menu for us they were extremely accomodating. All of the staff we encountered, from the front desk, to the waiters to the maids were extremely polite and cheerful. We had Natalio several times at the World Cafe for breakfast and he was always very cheerful and funny. For the most part, I did not find communication to be a problem. Most of the staff spoke in English very well, and if you do want to pick up some "survival" Spanish, they offered a half hour course each morning.

Ok, so lets address the beach issue. The beach itself is lovely for walking/relaxing. The sand is sugary fine and soft. The beach is long and wide and there are plenty of chairs and palapas. We never had any trouble getting any to sit in at any time of day, and there is enough space between them that you don't feel crowded at all. The problem arises if you want to go into the water. I had read in several reviews that the beach was rocky. I didn't let that deter me; I packed my trusty water shoes and figured I'd be set. But I was wrong. Besides being somewhat rocky, the beach is extremely shallow. You have to walk way out, over several reefy/rocky sections with breaking waves in order to get any depth. Rocky sand I can deal with, but going that far out past rough waves I can't. I was pretty upset about this when we got there, because I have always fancied myself an ocean swimmer. I generally hate pools because they are scummy and chlorine makes my skin burn. But without any other option, my hubby and I headed for the pools. I have to say, that based on this experience I am slightly converted. The pools are this resort were beautiful. They were extremely clean, not crowded (since there are 8 on the property) and if there was chlorine in them I couldn't tell. The water didn't bother my skin or eyes at all. I really enjoyed swimming in them. So, to sum that all up: if you are a pool person, this resort will suit you just fine. If you like to relax on the beach but not necessairly go swimming, than you will be fine. If you are a die-hard ocean swimmer, this is probably not the resort for you. The secrets Capri or Maroma Beach would probably be much better picks. One more thing I will say about the beach: even though I didn't get to do much ocean swimming, I am glad that Secrets didn't go and dredge it all just to make it better for swimming. Those rocks, while annoying to us, are part of a natural ecosystem, as evidenced by the pelicans, gulls and other birds that were swimming and feeding there daily. It should stay just the way it is.

One thing that we really enjoyed during this vacation was the fact that we got to spend much more time engaging in the entertainment activities than when we were on the wedding trip in Jamaica. We played pool volleyball each day, Mexican lottery, Bingo, and we also played some Black Jack, crazy game, and bungee trampoline. The entertainment staff were awesome, and inviting,especially Rango and George.

So here come some of my nit-picky complaints. We were in building 5 which was on the eastern side of the property. Every night, usually from about 7-9pm, there was a building just across the walkway from our rooms that had some sort of generator that came on for a few hours. It was extremely noisy and stank of diesel. We didn't enjoy having to walk by it every night to and from dinner. So if it were possible, when you book I would ask to avoid that side. While the property was beautiful, I didn't find it had as many pathways or picture spots as the one in Jamaica did. Also, only 2 of the restaurants had outdoor patios, whereas in Jamaica all of the restaurants had patios. The theatre is open-air, and it was faily close to our building, which meant that, on some nights, we could hear the shows. Normally they were done by 10, so it didn't really keep us up, but for the first couple of nights we were adjusting to jet lag plus also hitting bed early because of early rises for excursions the next morning so it was a minor annoyance. That being said, we did catch 2 or the shows are they were excellent.

We did spend one afternoon in the spa. We really enjoyed our massages. However, when we went to do the hydro circuit, the pool with the jets and the room with the sauna/steam room were separate and you had to walk pretty much through the lobby to get the the steam room. In Jamaica, all of the hydro circuit had been in one big room and I liked that a lot better. Also, I had asked that my receipt be printed in English so that I could claim it on my health insurance, but the front desk was not able to do that.

We did do three days of excursions while staying at Silversands: two days of diving through the resort operator Aquaworld, plus a day at Chichenitza through Amstar tours. I will review both of those separately.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. We really love the high standard of quality and service at the Secrets resorts. Unlike other resorts, you don't have to reserve restaurants, wear brecelets or sign out towels. The beach/ppol areas are never crowded, and I can't say enough about the friendliness and professionalism of the staff. We look forward to spending another vacation with Secrets someday--they need to open one in the Bahamas!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator & E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear emilie728,

We would like to thank you for your recent visit and for your time to post a review with your stay experience, this is very useful for us to keep our highest standards in service and facilities.

We are overjoyed to know that you have enjoyed your room and the food selection, most important for us is to know that you have enjoyed the staff friendly service, specially from Natalio.

We regret to know that our bech area did not met your expectations, we are located just a few meters fom the second largest coral reef in the world, this makes our beach area different from others located at the Riviera Maya, however our guests can enjoy wondeful and unique experiences like snorkel and dive.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon to enjoy another memorable experience.

Kind regards,

Info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com
Medina, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Happy New Year!! Spent 5 nights over New Years at Secret's Silversands.
The resort...Pro's...the restaurants and food was wonderful and the service was great. The large main pool was heated and the swim up bar was great and convenient. They arranged the beach dinner for us for the 30Dec, but had not received any of the emails sent to request this prior to our arrival...be aware this was an extra cost.

Con's...the rooms are nice enough but most of the pool views do look at the building's individual pool and then the back of another building (ours looked out at the back of the noisy spa) and the door opened to the noisy laundry, the my adult children's room looked over the same pool and then their door opened to the 1) the noisy laundry 2) the smelly treatment plant and swamp. We did ask for room changes but they said that the resort was fully booked, but changed our room only to an upper floor so we could look over the spa building to the open ocean...which was nice. We were in buildings 5 and 6...so maybe when booking recommend buildings 1, 2 or 3. The inconsistency of the cleaning of the room could be an issue if you had 4-5 star expectations...sometimes they came, sometimes they did not, sometimes we had new towels sometimes we did not, sometimes we had turn down service, sometimes we did not. When we changed rooms they must have dropped what ever anniversary amenities that were included....one nite tho, the maid brought rose petals and decorated the bed and filled the tub with them also.

The Beach....well...do not recommend this resort for those that are beach people. There are quite a few rocks and man made breakers of huge sand bags and a pipe that comes from the bottom to pump up sand, which created a sand bar not far off shore. They are building a short pier with a gazebo at the end for weddings, but this is Mexico and it might not be finished until 2015!...so there was a little noise and construction equipment making a mess.

There was a seaweed issue last week, don't know if it happens often, but the maintenance staff tried to rake it up but they only did about a 1/2 job, the next resort down had a back hoe out to scoop up the stuff, again about 1/2 job.We are pool people so it did not bother us. Also remind your guests to get to the pool before 7am to reserve chairs at the pool, by 8 they are all taken.

The New Years Eve party...the resort tried to make it nice, but the only way you could make a reservation for the party was if you bought a bottle of wine at a minimum cost of 100.00. This cost got you the seat in the theater for the show with the dinner. All the restaurants had the same menu for the NYE and did not have to pay for the wine. So that is what we did and then went to the show and sat in chairs that we brought over from the outside bar. Worked out fine.

Also warn guests about the hard time-share sales by the concierge staff, we had to listen to this just to get our $200 resort coupons. We used some for the Spa and for our Beach Dinner, otherwise you had to buy bottles of wine to use the rest.

Once we were with the resort's flow, we had a great time. Relaxed, went to Tulum and went 4 wheeling, relaxed and ate!! The shows were alittle corny, like cruise ship's...but OK.

All in all we had a great time...

Room Tip: Have your agent or request buildings 1, 2 or 3....NOT 4, 5, or 6 (they are on the side of the smelly...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear ellie8878,

We would like to thank you for your time to post a review with your great stay experience. Thank you for all your comments and suggestions, these are very important for us to identify our opportunity areas.

We are overjoyed to know that you have enjoyed the food selection and service at the restuarants.

We regret to know that you were not complitely satisfied with the first assigned room, we try to plewse every guest special request for rooms locations, however this is not guaranteed, this depens on the occupancy. It´s good to know that the second room was a better option for the rest of your stay. We will follow up your comments about the room cleanliness, this is not normal in our daily operation but we will make the proper actions with the Hosekeeping department to improve this area.

We sincerely hope to welcome you to Secrets Silversands on a future occasion so we can have the opportunity to redeem ourselves providing you with the service you deserve.

Warm regards,

trafalgar, in
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was our second vacation at Silversands and it was every bit as wonderful as the first time. We have never stayed at a resort more than once, but we were not disappointed with coming back. The food is delicious and lots of choices. The steak is great at the Mexican restaurant! I've read complaints about the beach, but they do their best to keep the sand clear of seaweed and I feel they do a great job. If you wade out into the ocean there are lots of rocks, but if you insist on swimming in the ocean instead of the many wonderful pools, then just pack a pair of swim shoes. We really love the location because it is far enough from the congestion in Cancun, but it is not a long ride from the airport. We really enjoyed the entertainment and the bands, but we are in our early 50's. (We have been to several all-inclusive, all-adult resorts over the past 10 years, and this is our favorite!) We really like the size of the resort. It is not overly huge, but plenty big to offer lots of different pools, restaurants, and bars. You can run into the same people, but you also have privacy if you choose. We started off in a room on the ground floor in the 1100's. It was close to the gym, which was handy and it was a swim out. Nice private location, but we felt too far from the beach and activity. The staff was very happy to move us to another room in the 4100's. This room was closer to the beach, and still a swim out. The pool by this room was in the shade most of the day and was too cool to swim in for my preference, but we did like the location better. When were were in the 1100's room, our room was stocked with lots of great toiletries and slippers and robes and they came to clean early. At the other room, they only gave us basic and no slippers! (Not a big deal, but it seemed odd.) They also cleaned out room very late in the day, which was disappointing. Again, nothing that I would take a star off my 5 star rating. My advice is go with the idea to have fun and don't be picky and keep your sense of humor. Nothing in this life is perfect, and if you are the kind of person that expects perfection, then I doubt you have a good time anywhere you go. Be sure to check the daily activities and enjoy the fun! PS: Don't feel like you have to order the bottles of wine. If you like dry wine, their house whites and reds are very good. I'm a bit of a wine-snob, but I was able to really appreciate their local wines!

Room Tip: I doubt if there is a bad room in the entire resort. It is just personal preference if you want to...
Dear lamblake,

Thank you for giving us the honor to welcome you back on this second visit, thank you for your preference.

It is an honor to know that you have enjoyed a wonderful time again, with the staff attentive service and the food and drinks selection at the restaurants and bars,

We will be waiting for your next visit for another memorable experience.
Sunny Regards,

Edina, Minnesota, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

My family and i just recently spent Christmas at Secrets for the 3rd time.
Hands downs one of the best Hotels in Cancun. The Beach was improved from last year and we did the preferred customer service lounge which was great.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear 29-2nd,

Thank you for your preference to visit our beautiful resort for the third time, it was an honor to have you back home.

Thank you for your kind comments about the beach and the Preferred service and benefits.

We can´t wait for your 4th visit to the paradise soon.
Warm Regards,

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We took our adult children and grandchildren as their Christmas gift. The resort ourdoor area is beautiful without doubt, however we were disappointed with the hotel's ability to accommodate our family during evening meals. The French restaurante downright refused to seat our party of 7. The Oceana did seat us but advised "they were making an exception" - this was confusing as the restaurant was more then 50% empty!. The Patio only had one table which could accomodate us and we had to wait until it's previous party finished their dinner Reservations were made months in advance and we requested that our family at a minimum be in the same building but one of the rooms was completely on the other side. Taxi fares to and from are expensive and the resort could do better in providing tranportation at an affordable price. Spa services were average, not worth the price, had manicures, pedicures and hot rock massages. Give very careful consideration about engaging in the "unlimimited vacation club" sales incentive - would not recommend.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
info_sesrc, Social Media Coordinator/E-Concierge at Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear conace,

On behalf of the Secrets Silversands staff and Management, we would like to thank you for your time to post a review with your stay experience, this is very useful for us to identify our opportunity areas.

We apologize for the discomfort caused by the group accomodation at our restaurants, not all of our restaurants have the appropiate furniture to offer a group at the same table, this is because some of our restaurants are designed to mantain the romance ambiance which distinguish our brand, however we have other restaurants available for these requests.
We also apologize for the discomfort caused by your room locations, the rooms locations for our guests request are subject to availability of the day, we make the proper notes on each reservation with the preferences, however this cannot be guaranteed.

We invite you to visit us again and please be certain that we will do our best to make you have a truly remarkable experience when you honor us again with your visit.

Looking forward to have you back home.

Warm regards

info.sesrc@secretsresorts.com

Been to Secrets Silversands Riviera Cancun? Share your experiences!