“lovely pianist” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Wetherby Whaler

Wetherby Whaler
Bradford Road | Gusieley, Guiseley, Leeds, England (Formerly Harry Ramsden's)
Website
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
leeds
“lovely pianist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

visited for the second time in 6 months and I was really pleased to find a pianist playing beautiful music, it added to the atmosphere and I told him so.
we had the pensioners £8.50 meal.
we had the homemade cauliflower and broccoli soup and it was delicious. very hot in temperature and a bit spicy.
next we had the haddock and chips. chips were good and the fish had a lovely smooth batter, but one half was a bit too crispy and hard and I had to smash the batter to get at the fish but the other half of the fish was covered in a nicer softer batter. the batter is very smooth. I wonder what their secret is?
for sweet I had the rice pudding which I asked for at the start so I could have it cold, which I prefer. now they told me it was homemade and they put nutmeg in. but you cant taste the nutmeg and all it does is make black specks in the rice pudding which I found a bit off-putting.
they would be better if they sprinkled nutmeg on the top of individual dishes of rice pudding.
I will go again especially if the pianist is playing.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Leeds
“Fancy fish and chips?”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Well drive past here and go somewhere else then. What a huge disappointment starting with the car park that needs resurfacing, a mucky, litter strewn path to the door and stood about waiting for anyone to even acknowledge us never mind show us to a table. We should have left then as I've never seen a more plastic, prepacked bit of fried fish in my life and whilst the chips were hot they certainly didn't look as if they'd seen hot fat. We sent them back as they were hard and under cooked and the second helping weren't much better. The waitress said if we wanted brown and crispy chips that next time we came we needed to ask for them well done!! Believe you me there wont be a next time.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
bradford
“A good replacement for Harry Ramsden's (RIP!)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

This small chain took over the hollowed-out ghost of Harry Ramsden's a few years ago. Ramsden's was once a premier fish and chip place until it was sold out and re-sold a couple of times, Eventually, it was unrecognisable and available in a range of international venues including Dubai and ( I think) Las Vegas.

Licensed, this place has the usual fault of asking you what you want to drink before you've ordered your food. However, on the plus side, the quality has been steadily rising. On our last visit, this week, we noticed that the batter is crisper and lighter than ever, and the chips are exactly as you would wish. The restaurant scores for good, though inexperienced service, atmosphere and quirkiness.

Yes. it's on the Guiseley roundabout leading to 'Bradford, but it has Thirties mouldings, chandeliers, a big car park and a pianist on Sundays. (PS, can we have a pianist on Fridays and Saturdays, too?) Also, please only bring the bill when requested!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
bradford, west yorkshire
“Very nice Saturday lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

The service was quick and members of staff very polite. The menu was varied and well priced. Fish and chips were lovely and all washed down with a teapot of tea and bread and butter. Will definitely go again for sure x

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Mytholmroyd, England, United Kingdom
“Best fish & chips ever!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We have been to the Wetherby whaler (take away) quite a few times now and it just seems to get better & better everytime. The batter is always crispy ( not soggy like some places), the chips are always perfectly cooked, nothing tastes greasy! I also like that they only cook the fish once you order it, defiantly worth a visit if in the area.

Visited April 2014