“Very decent stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Colchester

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Colchester to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Colchester
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Abbotts Lane, Eight Ash Green, Colchester CO6 3QL, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eight Ash Green
Steyning, England, United Kingdom
“Very decent stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

I spent a night here with my daughter as we were visiting Colchester Zoo. The hotel was in a very good location, less than 10 minutes to the zoo and the same into the city centre of Colchester. Ample free parking and they were very children friendly, with a Halloween treasure hunt of sorts for the kids, and free use of their (small) swimming pool. Price was reasonable, but that was not including breakfast, though they did not charge for my daughter to eat, which again was quite friendly of them. Staff were helpful, rooms clean and modern, and it was quiet and comfortable. Not unforgettable or amazing, but a very decent stay.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you had a decent stay with us and I hope you and your daughter had a good time at the zoo. We offer discounted 'Zoo packages' should you wish to stay and visit the zoo again. These packages include breakfast for the whole family and are designed to make visiting the zoo and using Holiday Inn Colchester as a base much more affordable than buying separately. I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Norfolk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

I would just like to say a big thank you to all the staff here for looking after us so well when a large group of 40 or so of us descended on the hotel for a local wedding. All the staff were so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We (around 40 of us as I said) had a meal here on the Friday night and ok it was just pub grub but all the meals came out hot and we all managed to eat at pretty much the same time. An amazing achievement I think you'll agree. The bar stayed open till 3am and the poor bar staff were inundated by us plus other guests staying at the hotel too. I think they all did very well. On the night of the wedding when we all descended back into the hotel after the reception it must have been quite hellish for the bar staff working however they did it with a smile. And when the bar did finally shut they very kindly left me and the remaining stragglers two big jugs of water to help us rehydrate :-)) thank you once again to all the staff for looking after us so well!

Stayed October 2013
What a great review, thank you so much for sharing. The team were delighted with your comments and I am very proud of all of them for making the big day so memorable- for the right reasons!
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We recently attended a formal Sunday Lunch and was looking forwards to a nice meal with old and new friends.
There was not much effort put into the three courses. There is not much can go wrong with the traditional Prawn Cocktail and this was the best part of the meal. My Roast Sirlion of beef looked lik it had come from a frozen food supplier and although it was well presented on the plate it was difficult to cut with the normal K & F supplied. The Roast Potatoes were cold and the veg also looked like it had come from a freezer. The desert was not much better.
In all it seemed that the chef had had a day off and the kitchen porter was in charge.

Room Tip: Sorry we only stayed for lunch
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hi, I was also very disappointed when I read of your experience. The Head Chef, Mark, has shared these comments with his team already and is working every Sunday Lunch to ensure that we do not offer any guest the standard of food you mention again. Please except my sincere apologies for this experience and I do hope to see you again soon and offer you the normal high standards that we usually provide.
Torrevieja
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My mother and I stayed for a few days at this very friendly hotel.

Everything was fine with the room...the hotel was full and quite busy...but was so quiet we overslept and nearly missed breakfast!!

The only negative was the bath was so high my elderly mother was unable to step into it to use it or the shower. I hope plans for rooms with showers or a wet room are going ahead before our next visit.

We would recommend this hotel and will definitely stay again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to write a review and I am pleased to hear, overall you had a great stay with us. We do not have any immediate plans to adapt our accessible bathrooms as you described but I will suggest the adjustments when we look at refurbishment. I look forward to seeing you again on your next stay.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was our first stay in a Holiday Inn and, on the whole, it exceeded my expectations in most but not all aspects. First, the positive points...
...friendly staff. Okay, so they are trained to be friendly and it is a bit ersatz but they are good at it and they do make you feel welcome.
...everywhere was very clean.
...nicely wooded grounds. A bit immature at present but it will get better. We spent a long time watching a woodpecker hopping around outside our window, which was nice.
...large, comfortable room with AC cooling controls. The bed was too soft for me but that is hardly a criticism.
...our evening meal was excellent, far better than the typical fast food I was expecting. Given that, the slightly high prices were acceptable.
Now the negative ones...
...breakfast at £15 per person. This wouldn't bother expense account or voucher holders but for us mere mortals, however much we might be able to afford it, it is ridiculous. Especially when there is the biggest Salisbury I have ever seen within five minutes drive with its Big Breakfast at a third that price.
...a comfortable bar marred by the total absence of cask ales. Why in this day and age, given the popularity of such beers?
...the rooms contain a very smart TV, the use of which is hampered by an annoying HI corporate front end and a channel list that is basically a subset of Freeview plus Sky 1. Hence much frustration when I was unable to watch something that was unavailable.
...like all such places, with a corporate identikit styling and modus operandi throughout the World, it is a bit soulless.
We would definitely stay in a Holiday Inn again and probably try the facilities we missed this time.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for your review. I am so pleased that you found so many positive elements to your stay. I have taken note of the constructive comments you have made too. From this week we are testing a new cask, real ale and we will also feature guest ales over the Christmas period. I also recognise that £15 may seem expensive for our award winning breakfast however if you book a breakfast included rate in advance you will find it much cheaper and better value for money without compromising on the range and variety. We are constantly reviewing our in room entertainment offering and I will do everything I can to incorporate your feed back in the next revision.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My sister, mum and I stayed one Saturday night as we had tickets for the zoo the next day and decided to make a weekend of it. We was checked in by Indre who was very very welcoming and was able to go to our room straight away. Our room was nice and clean and had one double bed in it and the sofa bed was pulled out which could easily fit 2 people in! We decided to do a bit of shopping and the reception was really helpful in giving suggestions where to go and calling a cab for us. We had a little problem when we tried to order a dvd as the menu and movies wouldn't work. We called down to complain that we needed it to be fixed as we had stayed in in order to watch a specific film avaliable to hire but it turned out the whole hotel was having the same problem!it did take a little while to be resolved. We did eventually get it working. Breakfast was included providing a wide option of hot food and cereals and fruit and was greeted by Indre again who was really friendly enquiring how our shopping and evening had gone!as we left we did mention about the problem with the film and was compensated for it!we wasn't able to try the spa and pool as we was not aware until we arrived that we had free access to this so hadn't brought costumes but will check next time. Was very impressed with the level of service and our stay!

• Stayed October 2013
Thanks for your review. I was sorry to hear you had problems with the 'on demand' in room entertainment system but I was delighted to see we did resolve this issue to your satisfaction and your overall stay was memorable for the right reasons. I have shared your comments with Indre, who was delighted to hear that you enjoyed the service she provided.
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I wasn't expecting much from a Holiday Inn in Colchester but I was impressed. The rooms were comfortable and quiet. Staff were exceedingly helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was magnificent and the bar/breakfast room/restaurant is well designed and well laid out. It is a big property but doesn't feel too "corporate" for individual guests. It's not a particularly attractive location but it's convenient for Colchester which is what mattered to us. Breakfast was not included in our room rate which is fine - I guess many guests would probably skip it if they were staying for work anyway - but not unreasonable cost considering the quality. Overall a good property made special by the staff who were universally charming, helpful and intelligent.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
I am so please we exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your stay and the service provided by my team. I do hope we all get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Been to Holiday Inn Colchester? Share your experiences!