“Excellent!!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Colchester

You added Holiday Inn Colchester to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Colchester
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Abbotts Lane, Eight Ash Green, Colchester CO6 3QL, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Eight Ash Green
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for my birthday and on first impressions i thought it was very dated and unlike any other holiday inn we had stayed in before, but the staff make this place what it is. Also they were updating the carpets etc. We were welcomed at reception with a glass of wine (never had this at any other holiday inn!) and the receptionist was lovely and welcoming. The room nice and comfortable. The restaurant was closed which was a shame as we had made a booking but we could still order from the bar menu and the food was amazing. It was proper restaurant food and was really well presented. Breakfast the next morning was also nice.

Would go back if we were to visit colchester again

• Stayed October 2012
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your comments. I am really pleased that my team delivered such great service. I will of course as my maintenance team to try and improve some of the grout in the bathroom following your feed back, however I am really happy you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Aberdeenshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

Have stayed here before and was impressed by value and service levels and we weren't disappointed when we stayed there last weekend. It's not perfect - some would grumble about grubby grout in places in the bathroom, but it's no grubbier than my bathroom at home and I don't consider that to be of a poor standard! Personally I'd like thicker fluffier towels and robes but for the price we paid - average £80 pernight per room including excellent breakfast it's far far better service quality and value than Premier Inns et al.

I think it's the staff that make this hotel tho. The receptionists were really friendly on arrival and departure, but as well as that whenever we walked by reception and it wasn't busy we got a smile. On both days I saw the housekeeper herself on duty - never seen that anywhere else! Breakfast chefs - it's a buffet but they do things like fried eggs to order - on both days were really helpful and efficient - little things like I asked for fried bread (an indulgence when I'm away!) and they made sure it was drained before putting on my plate. Similarly eggs were fried and then just flashed under the grill to remove the yukky stickiness but leaving them runny. the restaurant supervisor on eth Saturday just came over and commented what a nice day it was - little things but they make a difference.

Whenever in the Colchester area I can't see me staying anywhere else!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

This was a stay paid for by Priority Club rewards points, so I can't comment on value for money for the accommodation. This Holiday Inn is at the higher end of the range, with good quality rooms and a decent restaurant service perfectly reasonable food for the price. And like most Holiday Inns, the breakfast alone is worth the visit.

The location means that you really need a car if you are going to explore the joys of Colchester and beyond, and given the hinterland you would really have to have a good reason to be visiting (our was a university open day).

Like many Holiday Inns, this one promotes the cheap wedding package so it was no surprise that there was one finishing up when we arrived and another one just arriving for the next day. The downside is the late night noise from wedding guests and their kids, and the huge queue to check out in the morning.

I would recommend this place just for the service and the friendly staff. It would be easy for them to get stressed with the demands being made by crowds of guests, but they took it in their stride.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
I was really pleased to see you enjoyed your stay and I am also happy that my team displayed the professional service that we have become somewhat famous for here at Holiday Inn Colchester. It is true that weddings are popular here, however to have two weddings in the same weekend is relatively rare so I do apologize if this caused any dissatisfaction during your stay with us. With the re-introduction of an Express Check out process at the weekends I am hoping you will experience a much smoother reception process. I look forward to seeing you again soon.
norwich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stay at this hotel for a weekend break and in its was super, the staff were very welcoming and there was always a polite hello or good morning, the duty manager was always visible with "a cheery morning/ evening how is your stay" They seem to work very hard as the same waiting staff who were at the evening meal were also at breakfast and we were still greeted with a smile. The room we stayed in was clean and comfortable with very little noise form adjoining rooms even though we had a (locked) connecting door.
The meals we had were of a good standard even though my wife steak was not very warm when 1st served but this was quickly rectified when pointed out to waitress, breakfast was plentiful with and large choice.
Overall we had a great stay here and would be more than happy to return.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. As we are ever striving to improve our service here at Holiday Inn Colchester, I really appreciate your constructive feed back which I will share with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

It is my sixth or even seventh stay at this hotel and things are really getting better except one thing: housekeeping. Or to be precise-they still have not learned how to clean the glasses that are for guest use in the room. There is just one world-filthy. Besides that I have no other complaints about the hotel. Excellent staff, comfortable but a little worn out rooms, excellent food. The entertainment system that was not working last time I have stayed there is now working perfectly. So, yes it is a bit far away from Colchester but if you are prepared for this it is really a very good hotel. If it was not for these filthy glasses...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of my property. As General Manager of the hotel I am very concerned with your comments regarding the cleanliness standards of bedroom glasses. After speaking with the housekeeping team this morning I am confident that you will not encounter this problem again on a future stay. Please accept my apologies for this oversight on behalf of the team. Thank you for your continued loyalty to my hotel and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I stayed here for a wedding and really couldn't fault a singe thing during both the wedding and my stay in the hotel. What made the stay was how amazing ALL the staff were. Every single person was amazing especially Robert behind the bar. The hotel was very clean and our hotel room immaculate. The room was a nice size and had everything needed for an overnight stay. The breakfast that was served was delicious and had something for everyone.

Room Tip: This hotel does not have a lift so if you have a wheelchair or pushchair make sure you request a gro...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, October 10, 2012
The whole team are delighted that you had a great stay with us. At Holiday Inn Colchester we try to offer our guests excellent service to make your stay as memorable as possible. I know you have many choices when it comes to booking a stay away in a hotel and hopefully, by my team trying that bit harder, you will choose Holiday Inn Colchester next time. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.
Bungay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

As part of wedding party we stayed two nights, benefitting from a larger Double Room. Breakfast was fantastic (4 or 5 courses including fresh fruit, yogurt, cold meats & full English) as was the evening meal of Steak, served uniquely on a small chopping board with small handful of salad. Notably missing from steak meal were chips & onion rings.
Staff were impressivley polite & helpful, even helping the jump starting our car.

Will certainly look to stay here again if making a return visit Colchester.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnColchester, General Manager at Holiday Inn Colchester, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
I am pleased you had a good stay with us.

As we design new, exciting menus for the winter season, I will certainly take on board your feed back with regards to adding the chips and onion rings to the Steak dishes rather than serving these items separately.

Thank you for taking the time to add a review and we all look forward to seeing you soon...

Been to Holiday Inn Colchester? Share your experiences!