“excellent naturist hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Vritomartis Naturist Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sfakia
Vritomartis Naturist Resort
Sfakia, Crete 730 11, Greece   |
Offers & Announcements
35% discount
Ranked #1 of 22 Specialty lodging in Sfakia
belgium
“excellent naturist hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

A nice small family hotel were you can enjoy a decent naturist holiday as it should be. Only inside the hotel nudisme is not allowed. The rooms are small and basic. Breakfast and diner is in buffet and of a good quality. Sufficient variety. The hotel has a large pool with excellent water quality. Appr. 700 mts to walk to a nearby naturist beach. Sunbeds at the beach are at an extra cost. The hotel has no sunbed/beach towels. There is a bus shuttle to the beach and a nearby town, but quite irregular. For a real Greec lunch we advice to enjoy this in the nearby village

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

222 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Athens, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

nice hotel in the absolutely secluded place, with high mountain from one side and endless sea from the other. the only sounds we could hear was sea whisper and wind playing in the olive treas. the beach is quite away, but you can you free transfer service. as the receptionist told us, the hotel beach is approved by international naturist federation, however the hotel is arranging for one more beach that would be more close to the resort by the summer 2012 (have they finished i wonder?).

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The very warm welcome I received when I first arrived in Reception was just the beginning of a fantastic week at Vritomartis. It was as though I had discovered some unknown distant relatives and soon felt I was very much part of the ‘family’.

I had been to Crete twice previously, both times staying on the northern coast but had visited the south coast, including Hora Sfakion, on day trips. I love this rocky coast where the mountains descend into the warm, blue, crystal-clear Libyan Sea with lots of isolated beaches, caves and gorges to explore. Hora Sfakion is a quiet little place, away from the busier tourist areas of the northern coast, and I knew this was where I wanted to spend my week. When I discovered Vritomartis just a few minutes outside Hora Sfakion, this provided my perfect combination of location and naturist facilities, for what better way to enjoy swimming in the glorious sea than as nature intended?

I booked my accommodation directly through the hotel’s website, which was a simple process, and my flights from the UK to Chania: there are now many options for flying directly to Chania, the nearer of Crete’s airports, through both budget and charter airlines. Just 4 hours after leaving the wet and chilly British summer, I arrived in Chania to sunny skies and temperatures in the low 30s. I collected my hire car and after a 90-minute drive over the mountains I arrived at Vritomartis. The road to Hora Sfakion has lots of bends and is best done for the first time in daylight but it’s straightforward enough if you take it steadily (watch out for Greek drivers who will overtake anywhere!) and enjoy the views along the way. The hotel can provide transfers but I found it as cheap to get a hire car, which then provides flexibility if you want to explore further afield.

I opted for one of the standard bungalows, which was located on the ground floor of one of the small blocks, slightly away from the main building. Clothes are required within the main building whereas the bungalows provide the freedom to come and go without having to cover up; the other advantage is that the bungalows provide a quieter option away from the bar area where live music is played two or three nights a week, not that it was particularly noisy anyway. My bungalow was simply decorated with white walls and a tiled floor throughout and it was spotlessly clean. On entering, there was a built-in cupboard and shelves for storage on one side; on the other was the bathroom with a bath/shower, basin and toilet with supplied toiletries, a hairdryer, and pristine, soft white towels. The main part of the room had two single beds, which were very comfortable, a desk and stool, a sofa, two tables, and a large mirror on the wall. There was a small fridge, which was very convenient for keeping drinks cool, a wall-mounted television providing various international channels including BBC World News, a built-in radio, and various lamps. At the end of the room was a sliding door onto the small patio, which was equipped with a table and two chairs, and this provided a view of the sea a few hundred metres away. I must say it exceeded expectations and I was very pleased with my choice.

Having settled into my room, I explored the immaculately kept grounds and went to see the naturist beach for my first swim. The hotel runs a regular free shuttle bus to and from the beach but I chose to walk there and back, which took 10-15 minutes each way, with the return being uphill on leaving the beach. It’s a pebbly beach with some sand in places. There’s a large overhang at one end which provides shade all day, or sunbeds and umbrellas can be hired from the beach bar (6€ for a sunbed and umbrella per day or about 27€ for the week, with further discounts for longer periods and other combinations of sunbeds and umbrellas). The beach bar also provides food and drink and there’s a toilet. The beach is fairly sheltered with small cliffs at the back and at one end; at the other end there are some rocks, caves and inlets with tiny beaches all reachable with a short swim. Entry to the water is a little difficult in places due to the stones and several people had water-shoes although I managed without; some footwear is recommended on the beach, however, because it gets very hot in the sun! Once in the water, it’s glorious and I had many enjoyable swims during the week.

New arrivals are invited to a welcome reception before dinner on the first day. This was hosted by the enthusiastic activities coordinators and I found it extremely informative and helpful. They provided some background on Crete and the Sfakia region, explained the various facilities and procedures for dinner and breakfast, and described the excursions and entertainment on offer.

Dinner is served on the terrace between 19:30 and 21:30. The process is simple: find a free table, order drinks from the waiters, then help yourself to the extensive buffet. For starters, there was a selection of salads as well as soup and fresh bread; for the main course, there were usually two or three meat dishes, a fish dish, various vegetables, pasta and a pizza option; desserts included pastries, ice cream, jelly, mousses and fresh fruit. The food was always very tasty, good quality and plentiful. I particularly enjoyed the buffet format because it meant I could try many of the dishes on offer (the choices changed every day) rather than being restricted to individual selections, and could eat as much or as little as I wanted. The waiters, who were always immaculately dressed, were very welcoming and I was impressed that they generally greeted guests in their native language, which highlighted the individuality of their service. The whole experience was very relaxed with no pressure to finish. Whilst the half-board room rate includes food, drinks are extra and these are settled at the end of the meal either by cash or by adding to the room bill for payment on departure.

Breakfast is served in the main building where you simply find a free table and then help yourself to food and drinks. Food included cereals, pastries, cake, bread, yoghurt, preserves, fruit, cold meat and cheese, etc. as well as hot bacon, sausages, eggs, tomatoes, beans, etc. and the facilities to make toast; drinks included tea, coffee and fruit juices. Breakfast was fine and enjoyable although perhaps not quite as stimulating as the excellent food in the evening.

I didn’t try the pool or beach bars, both of which serve food and drink during the day, and neither did I use the onsite shop so I cannot comment on these. I only visited the main bar on one evening when a duo played music and encouraged some dancing, which was entertaining to watch. I’d have liked to have seen the Cretan dancing but it’s only on every other week and didn’t coincide with my visit. The bar and service lived up to the high standard set throughout the hotel.

Throughout the week, the hotel organises a range of excursions. I went on the walk down the Imbros Gorge: this involved a 30 minute trip by minibus to the start, a gentle walk of about 2.5 hours, and a refreshing drink at a tavern before being collected by minibus to return to the hotel. This cost 10€ which included transport and the entrance fee and, as it completes during the morning, the rest of the day is then free to do something else. I also went on the naturist boat trip along the west coast: this involved a short transfer to a small boat in Hora Sfakion, a trip along the coast lasting just over an hour (which is optionally naturist after leaving the harbour), and then a return trip along the coast, stopping at three different naturist beaches with a further stop for lunch. The first beach (Domata), just beyond Agia Roumeli and the end of the popular Samaria Gorge, was an isolated pebbly beach with caves at each end and perfect water for swimming; the second beach (Agios Pavlos) is a long sandy/pebbly beach with some rocks, a small church from the 11th century and a taverna; the final beach (Glyka Nera, better known as Sweetwater) is famous for the fresh water that can be found by digging in the sand and the goats that live there. The boat trip cost 61€ which included an excellent three-course lunch in Loutro, a pretty coastal village accessible only by boat or on foot, drinks on the boat and all transport: it was a very enjoyable day that was well worth experiencing. There are other trips available but I’ll have to wait until my next visit for those.

There are also a number of activities organised most days, centred round the main pool or the other sports and games facilities. I joined in water-polo, which was very entertaining even though I was on the losing side! As with the excursions, there is no compulsion to join in if you prefer relaxation but they are a good way to meet other guests.

As well as the shuttle bus to the beach, Vritomartis runs a less frequent service to Hora Sfakion. Although it’s walkable in 25-30 minutes with some magnificent views along the way, the return is uphill on leaving the village. It’s useful if you want to visit the several shops or restaurants by the little harbour although a return service later in the evening would be useful. I took the shuttle once in order to catch the taxi boat to Sweetwater Beach (10-15 minute trip at 4€ each way): the hotel even phoned ahead to ensure that the boat would wait for me.

During my week at Vritomartis, I met guests from a range of countries including France, Italy, Holland, Sweden, Greece and Russia, as well as the UK; there was also a good mix of ages, ranging from the 20s upwards with a handful of children of various ages. English seemed to be the default language for cross-nationality conversation and the hotel staff spoke a variety of languages between them, with all I encountered speaking English very well. Everyone was very friendly and, along with the hotel staff, it felt like one big happy family.

I thoroughly enjoyed my week at Vritomartis and really wish I could have stayed longer. I’ll definitely be returning, hopefully for a longer visit so that I can experience more of the excursions and activities. In the meantime, it’s back to the rainy UK but with some fond memories of some very special people and an amazing place.

Room Tip: Bungalows for the reasons stated in my review.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

The hotel is very clean, the food is very good, the staff are polite and friendly. The hotel minibus is well-used and runs to time. I have seen mention of mosquitoes, but we were there in June and there were none then. The owners seem to have worked really hard with the design of the interior of the hotel and outbuildings, as well as with the garden, very successfully. Much of it is beautiful. Vritomartis is a remote location but road access is now good (don't go for the first time at night in a hire car though - you may frighten yourself if you have to cross the mountains).

I have only one real complaint: More smoking is permitted than we are used to in southern England, but the only place that this was an unavoidable nuisance was around the hotel pool. I hated this. The pool is a very good pool, longer and deeper than is often found, but to come up from the depths for air and draw a deep breath of someone else's cigarette smoke is IMHO disgusting and in general medical advice very unhealthy. If you want to go here because you're a keen swimmer, be warned.

The poolside bar is excellent as to service and as to food. The onsite shop isn't quite up to the variety of goods available in the village, but it's still pretty good. The wi-fi access is a bit dodgy, but OK sometimes, from the area of the main bar. You probably woudn't want to try to work using it. The router is situated in the main bar, which may not be the best location for it.

My only other minor gripe (besides the smoking by the pool) is the room access. You have a key and you put it in a slot in your room to power the air-conditioning. No key, no air-conditioning. If there are two of you sharing the room and one of you wants to go out, but the other needs to sleep and needs the air-conditioning on to be able to sleep, this causes a problem. It would have caused us more of a problem had the threatened mosquitoes appeared, because in that case the alternative of having all doors open to try to create a through-draught would not have been feasible.

Room Tip: If you like noisy music in the later evening (it's never very late), go for the eastern end of t...
West Sussex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

We have just returned from a second visit to Vritomartis, which is a wonderful place on the south coast of Crete in a sleepy village called Sfaklion. The hotel is family run and they treat naturism in a very respectful, grown up way. Very little had changed in the four years between our first and second visits, which was encouraging. The bungalows are more spacious than the hotel rooms. The evening buffet style food provides pletiniful supplies of food and is freshly prepared every day. Nicos and his team deserve credit for managing this resort on the way they do.

Room Tip: The bungalows are slightly larger than the rooms in the main hotel. Tjose with two windows rather th...
Lowestoft, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

We visited Vritomartis for the first time in early June this year. We have been on quite a few naturist holidays and this was one of the best. The hotel is lovely - spacious and with lots of shade if required. The food is excellent and the staff very helpful. There is a glorious little naturist beach a short distance away. Good excursions from the hotel. Recommended. We will come back

Room Tip: The bungalow rooms have lovely views and are quiet.
Burnley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We returned this year as we had hope to do. We were very pleased to be given the same room as last time, Grand Bungalow. All the staff were the same and remembered us. The weather was perfect in our first week and the hotel was a bit quieter than last year, which was good for us. It got hotter and windier but we still enjoyed the beach. Our only complaint last year was the food in the evening but I am pleased to say that this has improved. The main meals were much better this year. They still grown alot of the herbs and salad in the garden and this is well tended by the gardener.

We still have to pay for the beds on the beach and pay cash for food at the beach bar instead of signing on the room. I suppose with the current economic climate this is not going to change. All in all we have a superb time and hope to return another time.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Vritomartis Naturist Resort? Share your experiences!