“Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

and up
Full Day Tour to Samaria Gorge
Ranked #1 of 6 things to do in Sfakia
More attraction details
Owner description: Believed to be one of the most scenic national parks in Europe, this gorge stretches more than 10 miles to the south coastal region and offers many hiking trails.
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

We got picked up at the hotel around 05:50 and went to Chania to pick more people up, then a guide named Demetris showed up and then we went to the city Omalos to get breakfast. One of the first things out guide said you selected a trip for trackers if you wear sandals you better just take the bus back to Chania. We started to walk around 8am and the first people arrived around 12:20pm i arrived 12:45pm to our meeting point. The trip was amazing there was water springs where you could refill your water bottle.
Tip for people bring a "small bottle!" You can refill alot a "hat" and a good! pair of shoes! not sandals and ofcource money for the entrence and the ferry
I wish everyone a nice trip :)

1 Thank Kenneth K

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great workout”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014 via mobile

I was supposed to go with a tour but there was a missunderstanding and they never picked me up. So I decided to go alone. Even though I entered at 09:00 there were tons of people there already. The gorge was incredibly beautiful, natural and worthy of being called a national park. Every so often there are small fountains with water straigt from Samaria resevoire where you can refill your water when needed. In my case since I was alone I wanted to see how long it would take me to run it. Normally they say it takes 5-6 hours to walk it. Partly because there were just so many people and partly because my legs were being pushed to their limits in the gorge I managed to finish after 3,5h and my legs had never felt more exhausted. It was a beautiful nature-driven workout and i loved it!

2 Thank Auhn
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Another must see on Crete”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Samaria is an other must see on Crete - fantastic nature, Nice 15 km walk for persons with "good legs". It goes down nearly all the way on small rocks.
Easy to take the bus from Chaina 6:45 og 7:45 to Osamalos (€14,30 - round trip), walk the clift to the harbour, take the ferry to the bus (€11)- remember the last ferry goes 17:30!
Take the bus back to Chaina - arrives around 20:30

4 Thank BuzzlightYearDK
Lincoln, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Just stunning”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Scary bus ride to the top of the mountain. Sturdy footwear desirable, it's a rocky rubbled track to walk down. Absolutely stunning scenery. Plenty of places on route to fill water bottles from the fresh water stream. Time constraint on walk as last ferry doesn't wait for stragglers. Take plenty of snacks or a pack up. It is a must if visiting Crete.

Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Stunning scenery but hard work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Started the walk at 8.15am wearing proper walking boots and thick but cool socks. These turned out to be an absolute necessity - can't imagine how people do it in trainers. The first bit is steeply downhill on man-made steps but then you are on a very stoney path of sorts. The ground was so stoney that you had to look at your feet the whole time and if you wanted to look at the amazing scenery you had to stop, otherwise you risked stubbing your toe on a rock. There are places to stop for water and toilet but you need to take food with you. I knew when I was getting towards the end as there was a cool sea breeze. We arrived at the end at 3pm exhausted (we are walkers but the problem was the rough terrain) having only a couple of 10 minute stops. So about six and a half hours. The next day my calves and thighs were sore and my big toe was red and swollen. I had difficulty walking downstairs. But I wouldn't have missed it and am proud of my achievement.

1 Thank jenny482