“"Almost perfect"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Birling House B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Capel
Birling House B & B
Save Saved
You added Birling House B & B to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Alders Road | Capel Tunbridge Wells, Capel, Royal Tunbridge Wells TN12 6SR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Capel B&B and Inns
Evesham, United Kingdom
“"Almost perfect"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

There is no exaggeration in all the excellent reviews on this site. My brother and I were visiting our elderly mother and found this a very comfortable stay. The breakfasts could not be bettered and Bob goes to enormous lengths to ensure that everything is spotless and every need is catered for. Previous experience of B & B's in winter is freezing cold bedrooms but Birling House is the exception with a very comfortable temperature. The "almost" in the heading is only because Bob himself said that nothing is perfect!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
It is so rewarding to get great feedback from satisfied guests - thank you. Best of all, you have already booked to return in January!

68 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

It was a very plesent stay at Berling house! It's a beautifull presented house, with a good guest sitting space, lovely and clean rooms, and a spotless
bathroom!
Loved Bob's Kent breakfasts, you can eat what ever you like.
And Bob is an ideal host, and such a friendly person, with a kind heart, thanks for being you, Bob!
Love to come back soon!!!

• Stayed October 2013
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I was delighted that your trip to buy craft antiques and pub paraphenalia was successful, and that our local pub / restaurant proved so popular with you both! It was great to share so many laughs during your stay, come back very soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

What a great couple of nights my sister and I had staying at Birling House. Bob was a perfect hoast who helped us with local history. Paddock Wood was a town we used to come to with our grandparents hop picking back in the 60's and as my sister Sue had just had a 'big birthday' I thought it would be good to reminisce. Birling House is the perfect place to stay, spotlessly clean very comfortable beds and an excellent Kent Breakfast what more could you want. We will be back. Thanks Bob
Stella and Sue

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
I really enjoyed playing a part in your trip down memory lane - especially the research into hop farms of the 60s. How perfect that you were able to trace and visit your family haunts - especially the old hoppers huts at our local farm. Obviously a trip to the Dovecote Inn, a real Kentish pub, made for an excellent evening. Thank you so much for such a great review, I am glad you enjoyed a hearty Kent Breakfast, come back soon.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

recently spent 4 nights at Birling House which was well appointed and comfortable. The B&B is a short walk from a Pub where good meals can be obtained from Tuesdays to Thursdays. Bob kindly provided torches to help with walking in the dark. Bob goes to a lot of trouble to vary breakfast from day to day which is a great bonus as B&B breakfasts can become tedious after a while. Bob was very generous in assisting us with some clothes washing as we have been on the road for some time. He also was happy to let us use the breakfast area to prepare some light snacks for tea. Birling house is 15 minutes from a large Tesco supermarket and convenient to the many sights to see around Kent. We somehow left an item behind at the end of our stay but Bob was generous enough to post the item to our next B&B stop. All in all a home away from home and good value for money.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such an encouraging review. I am so pleased that you were able to make use of the guest lounge, conservatory, laundry facilities etc, which are all integral to my intention to treat every guest visit just like having good friends to stay. Thank you for the Vegemite and your very good humour during your stay. Come back soon.
Exeter, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Bob was really friendly and put my partner at ease as he hadn't stayed at a B&B before. Bob obviously has a lot of life experience and I expect would find something in common with everyone I am sure. He met us when we arrived to a dark rural place we had not been before and made us very welcome. He seems a very content person. There are only two rooms and the other was empty so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. A lovely clean bathroom and bedroom, spotless in fact. The thick cream carpet in the bedroom was very luxurious and welcoming. The breakfast was really special, basically anything we would like, and great local produce, honey, homemade bread, local sausages, yoghurt, amazing. We spent the weekend in Kent for a wedding and catching up with distant family. It was a long way from Devon and my partner was not overly keen on family visiting, but Bob and this house made our stay very worthwhile. The only negative would be waking up early as Bob gets up early and I think he stays next door..but then it could have been my hangover!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay, and most especially for your very encouraging comments about the facilities and the "Kent Breakfast" In order to provide the very best breakfast I like to rise around one and a half hours before my guests require their breakfast - I am so sorry if in doing so I contributed to your hangover!! Come back for a long, peaceful weekend soon.
Yateley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We spent a great few days in August with Bob in his very comfortable B&B in the Kent countryside and would not hesitate to visit again should we be in that area.

It is only about 20 minutes from the M25 junction so easy to find. The county lane in front of the house is a little busy during morning and evening rush hours but very quiet during night and the rest of the day. Bob has installed secondary glazing in the bedrooms so any traffic noise does not cause a problem for anyone who wishes to have a lazy start to their days

We had the double bedroom with its private bathroom just across the corridor, that suited us well. The room is well presented and clean with an amazing WHITE carpet!! How trusting is that? The bed is comfortable; the linen clean and crisp; the rooms spotless with plenty of towels in the bathroom

A great deal of thought has gone into the running of this establishment and it could not be bettered. The guests' lounge is on the ground floor and leads to a 'study' area with plenty of information on local places of interest to visit - or just countryside walks. Bob is always eager to answer any queries too

The Conservatory is ideal for a Dining area and looks out onto a secluded garden

Bob is an ideal host who is attentive without being intrusive

Room Tip: The two rooms have their own private bathroom with basin and toilet facility. The double room has a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Many thanks for such a great review! It was lovely that you could stay here long enough to take in the best of the local attractions, our excellent local pub and my "Kent Breakfasts" I look forward to your return.
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I found this on trip advisor - we have friends who live nearby and we wanted somewhere to stay.

Well this is a wee gem of a place to stay - Bob the owner is very friendly and if he can help in anyway then he will.The house is stunning and the rooms were just lovely. Clean, warm and well appointed. There is everything that you could want from choc bics to decaf coffee.

We had the double bed room with its own bathroom just across the hallway. I wanted to take the bathroom with me when we left as we had 'bathroom envy'!! This is the room to get!!!!

The breakfast the next day was wonderful - anything that you wish for is yours. The food is well cooked and locally sourced. It tastes great!!!

Bob even gave us a lift to our friends house rather than get a taxi - he had just taken the other guests up to the wedding that they were attending.

This is a great wee place to base yourself for travelling and coming back to a warm and friendly welcome.

Although parking is at a premium Bob gives up his own driveway to allow guests to park.

This is the place to stay and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Following such a marathon drive, you desrved a great weekend, and I am delighted it turned out that way! Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review - and such an encouraging review too. Provided my schedule allows, I really am always happy to help with lifts to local venues if it helps make the weekend stress free. The "Kent Breakfast" I serve is just a taster for some of the great produce we have locally - come back soon for more!

Been to Birling House B & B? Share your experiences!