“Fantastic home from home” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Birling House B & B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Capel
Birling House B & B
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Alders Road | Capel Tunbridge Wells, Capel, Royal Tunbridge Wells TN12 6SR, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Capel B&B and Inns
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Fantastic home from home”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Bob was really friendly and put my partner at ease as he hadn't stayed at a B&B before. Bob obviously has a lot of life experience and I expect would find something in common with everyone I am sure. He met us when we arrived to a dark rural place we had not been before and made us very welcome. He seems a very content person. There are only two rooms and the other was empty so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. A lovely clean bathroom and bedroom, spotless in fact. The thick cream carpet in the bedroom was very luxurious and welcoming. The breakfast was really special, basically anything we would like, and great local produce, honey, homemade bread, local sausages, yoghurt, amazing. We spent the weekend in Kent for a wedding and catching up with distant family. It was a long way from Devon and my partner was not overly keen on family visiting, but Bob and this house made our stay very worthwhile. The only negative would be waking up early as Bob gets up early and I think he stays next door..but then it could have been my hangover!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay, and most especially for your very encouraging comments about the facilities and the "Kent Breakfast" In order to provide the very best breakfast I like to rise around one and a half hours before my guests require their breakfast - I am so sorry if in doing so I contributed to your hangover!! Come back for a long, peaceful weekend soon.

62 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Yateley, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

We spent a great few days in August with Bob in his very comfortable B&B in the Kent countryside and would not hesitate to visit again should we be in that area.

It is only about 20 minutes from the M25 junction so easy to find. The county lane in front of the house is a little busy during morning and evening rush hours but very quiet during night and the rest of the day. Bob has installed secondary glazing in the bedrooms so any traffic noise does not cause a problem for anyone who wishes to have a lazy start to their days

We had the double bedroom with its private bathroom just across the corridor, that suited us well. The room is well presented and clean with an amazing WHITE carpet!! How trusting is that? The bed is comfortable; the linen clean and crisp; the rooms spotless with plenty of towels in the bathroom

A great deal of thought has gone into the running of this establishment and it could not be bettered. The guests' lounge is on the ground floor and leads to a 'study' area with plenty of information on local places of interest to visit - or just countryside walks. Bob is always eager to answer any queries too

The Conservatory is ideal for a Dining area and looks out onto a secluded garden

Bob is an ideal host who is attentive without being intrusive

Room Tip: The two rooms have their own private bathroom with basin and toilet facility. The double room has a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Many thanks for such a great review! It was lovely that you could stay here long enough to take in the best of the local attractions, our excellent local pub and my "Kent Breakfasts" I look forward to your return.
Helensburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013

I found this on trip advisor - we have friends who live nearby and we wanted somewhere to stay.

Well this is a wee gem of a place to stay - Bob the owner is very friendly and if he can help in anyway then he will.The house is stunning and the rooms were just lovely. Clean, warm and well appointed. There is everything that you could want from choc bics to decaf coffee.

We had the double bed room with its own bathroom just across the hallway. I wanted to take the bathroom with me when we left as we had 'bathroom envy'!! This is the room to get!!!!

The breakfast the next day was wonderful - anything that you wish for is yours. The food is well cooked and locally sourced. It tastes great!!!

Bob even gave us a lift to our friends house rather than get a taxi - he had just taken the other guests up to the wedding that they were attending.

This is a great wee place to base yourself for travelling and coming back to a warm and friendly welcome.

Although parking is at a premium Bob gives up his own driveway to allow guests to park.

This is the place to stay and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Following such a marathon drive, you desrved a great weekend, and I am delighted it turned out that way! Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review - and such an encouraging review too. Provided my schedule allows, I really am always happy to help with lifts to local venues if it helps make the weekend stress free. The "Kent Breakfast" I serve is just a taster for some of the great produce we have locally - come back soon for more!
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Many thanks to Bob for a great one night stay for me and my family! We were attending a wedding nearby and Bob made everything very easy, he even organised the taxi for us!

Completely agree that the breakfast is great and the quality and cleanliness of the rooms superb!

Would definitely stay again if I was in the area

Thanks again Bob!

Fabio

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
I am so pleased that your weekend went so well and I was able to help make it stress free. Thank you so much for your positive remarks, I look forward to you returning to visit some of the great attractions around here.
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Birling House is exactly what a good B&B should be. Really comfy bed with quality linen in a spotless room, and a top notch breakfast - eggs from the hens in the field behind the garden, tomatoes from the garden and excellent bacon and sausages from the pig farm up the road. Lots of cereals and fruit etc on offer too. The house is on a quiet lane and although Bob said cars did pass by in the morning, we didn't notice. Bob is a great host who clearly treats his guests as if they're family members staying over and we would thoroughly recommend Birling House as a great place to stay. Great value too. Forgot to write in the guest book before we left so, if you're reading this, thanks again Bob. Steve and Jo

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your encouraging comments - especially about the "Kent Breakfast Scheme" which has focussed me on getting great LOCAL produce onto the breakfast table. Glad you were able to visit some of the best attractions, including Batemans, lots more to see so come back for longer next time! Thanks again.
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

Lovely rooms, spotlessly clean and maintained . Superb breakfasts , with virtually everything on the plate locally sourced . Bob is a superb host and you get the impression that nothing is too much trouble for him. Genuinely a great bloke who loves what he does. Highly recommended , we will definitely stay there again the next time we're in the area.
The nearby dovecote pub is also a must , excellent food . Ask bob to book you a table or they'll be booked up. Martin and Marie.

• Stayed August 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to post a review - and such a great review too! I am delighted that your weekend was such fun, and you were able to enjoy the delights of our real Kent local pub just down the road. Thanks for your good humour and lots of laughs, come back soon.
Puerto de Mazarron, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Ok this B&B is in Kent the garden of England so thats a plus Bob the owner is a great guy nothing is to much trouble the rooms are spotless and comfortable . Every day a different breakfast better than we have ever had in some of Londons 5 star hotels, you can even see from the back garden the hens that laid the eggs, you cant get better than that all produce is local and fresh. We live now in Spain and it takes something special to get me back even to Kent, but when I do it will Bobs place we stay at.
Jim & Marian

• Liked — friendly and comfortable
  • Disliked — nothing to dislike
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Bob A, Owner at Birling House B & B, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such a great review, I am delighted you enjoyed your stay here and all the arrangements for the family wedding worked out so well - even the weather was kind to us! I look forward to your return, thank you again.

Been to Birling House B & B? Share your experiences!