TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Adventure to Lake Chapala” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Chapala Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chapala
Lake Chapala Inn
You added Lake Chapala Inn to your Saves list
23 Paseo Ramon Corona, Chapala 45900, Mexico   |
Ranked #3 of 9 Chapala B&B and Inns
“Adventure to Lake Chapala”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

After reading a couple of reviews it's hard to believe we are talking about the same lake and same inn. I found the Lake Chapala Inn very lovely and the inn keeper an interesting woman that had traveled throughout the world. The staff were very accommodating from my pick up at the airport to the delicious gourmet breakfasts served daily. I found myself spending well over an hour each morning enjoying breakfast and visiting with other guests at the inn.

The lake was in very good condition. Each morning crews would rake and remove any items that had washed up on the beach. Many people walked and jogged along the beach and I was quite impressed with the cleanliness of the whole area.

I arrived on a Monday and there were men working on the malacon. New tiles were being set, lights adjusted, and large pots of beautiful flowers were spaced along this expansive walkway. By Friday all the work had been completed including repainting the walls of the businesses.

Weather was perfect...50 to 80 degrees. I also saw a total lunar eclipse during my stay. My experience in Chapala was excellent
and I would recommend the Lake Chapala Inn to family and friends.
L. Tyler,
Texas

• Liked — location and staff
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

I have just returned from a short stay at Lake Chapala Inn and feel impelled to challenge some of the statements made in the other review. (2006)
The Inn has beautiful views of Lake Chapala; anyone who has done any reading about the area should know that the lake has changed since it was the prime resort of upper-class Mexicans a century ago. Attempts are being made to reverse its fortunes, but they are on-going. It is not swimmable, but the beach can certainly be walked along, and the fishing boats and the water lillies are quite picturesque. Chapala itself is, by no stretch of the imagination, a lovely Mexican town with attractive colonial architecture. Again, reading any guide book would tell the well-prepared visitor that.
Between the Inn and the main street there is a large private home next door (until recently, owned by the lawyer Elizabeth Taylor was going to marry some years ago) and a couple of restaurants. Yes, they play loud music on weekends .... this is Mexico, and Chapala is an easily reached "playground" for people from Guadalajara. The covered food stalls on the beach close early and are left tidied up.
The Inn has a lap pool - you don't swim in a lap pool, you do laps!
Guests have the use of a beautiful lounge and a music room/library downstairs, as well as an airy second floor terrace.
The trip from Chapala to the Guadalajara Airport takes about 45 minutes; $30 is not an outrageous amount to be charged for that. About the phone bill, I can only say that the charges are listed in the rooms. Of course, there should be a bill of some kind, but checking in any of the "larga distancia" stores would give an idea of how much a 9 minute call to California might cost. I do know that international calls from Mexico are not cheap.
Alicia McNiff is a gracious hostess, and her staff are pleasant and accommodating.
In conclusion, I would definitely stay at the Lake Chapala Inn again (as would others; one of the guests who was there when I was, was on her 6th visit!). I would, however, plan to take trips to the hinterland, and avoid the town of Chapala.

• Liked — Friendly ambiance and relaxing on the 2nd floor terrqce
  • Disliked — The town it is in
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2006

My husband and I were first-time visitors (from California) and we stayed at the
Lake Chapala Inn. We based our decision on their website.
The Inn and surrounding area is no longer as pictured on the website.
The sandy area in front of the Inn is dirty, the Lake is polluted and very shallow, and the area next
door to the Inn has unsightly old vendor stands that have collasped and are filled
with trash.
There is a restaurant/disco that blares terrible music every day and late into the evening on the weekends. This disco is located 2 buildings away from the Inn.
The Inn itself is quite beautiful inside, but not as stated on their website.
Austin McNiff, stated as the host, sadly passed away five (5) years ago.
His wife, Alicia, runs the Inn.
I want travelers to know that the full breakfast at the Inn every morning was superb!
The lap pool is small and unswimmable.
The taxi cost $30.00 US dollars from the Inn to the Guatalahara Airport.
The high cost was certainly partially due to having to leave the Inn at 4:30 a.m.
Alicia McNiff charged us $18.00 US for using the room phone to call California
for just nine (9) minutes. We never saw a bill.
My husband and I are very good travelers, and we do not expect anything close
to perfection anywhere we travel. But the problems we have stated are too
glaring to ignore, and we feel it is necessary to warn unsuspecting travelers.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Lake Chapala Inn? Share your experiences!