“Our least favorite resort in the Maldives!” 2 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Magudhdhuvaa Island, Gaafu Dhaalu Atoll   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Maguhdhuvaa
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Truckee, California
“Our least favorite resort in the Maldives!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Let me start by saying that this resort is in the absolute middle of nowhere! Getting there involves a 1 hour domestic flight to the island of Khadadhoo and then a minimum hour boat ride from this island to the resort (if seas are rough or the boat breaks down then the boat ride will be longer). But when you factor in the extra amount of time it takes for transport to the airport, check-in at the airport and then waiting time at the airport then you have lost a minimum of half a day of vacation for each leg of travel to the resort. Trust me, you will be much happier if you choose a hotel closer to Male. In the past we have stayed at both the Huvafen Fushi and the Anatara which were both around 45 minute speed boat rides from Male. The trip to these islands was much easier and more enjoyable than the trip to Ayada which was downright miserable.

We were also disappointed in the resort itself. Don't get me wrong, it's a stunning new resort on a beautiful island. But it's not at all a hip or happening scene. Even at 80% occupancy (which very rarely happens but we were there during Chinese New Year) it's a total ghost town. There's never anyone hanging out at the pool, the bar's always vacant, we were always the only people dining at the non-buffet restaurants. It's downright creepy. At both the Huvafen Fushi and the Anatara there was always cool music playing and people sipping on cocktails at the bar. Their restaurants were always packed and happening and the food was always fresh and delicious. We enjoyed the lively music, people and scenes of these resorts. But the Ayada is the absolute opposite of these trendy resorts. You will see on their website that they advertise a "wine and cheese island" and a "hookah bar". But this is false advertising because both of these are closed unless you make an appointment because nobody ever goes to these. There are 2 non-buffet restaurants but both of these are ghost towns. The only happening thing at this whole resort is the all-you-can-eat buffet which apparently people arrive at half and hour before opening and wait in line just to get in. It should be noted that the clientele at this resort is almost 100% Chinese. And the resort definitely markets to this clientele with the music they play, the food they serve and the evening activities they offer. Think awful 2 person band and karaoke. And still nobody came. Downright depressing.

The food was also a disappointment. You have to remember once again that you are in the middle of nowhere and it's difficult for them to keep the food supply stocked. The day we arrived the bar ran out of fresh mint and limes and they never restocked these during our entire week stay. The Asian restaurant ran out of noodles our last night there and who knows when those would be restocked. The food in general was of very low quality and tasteless. The buffet was obviously geared towards the Chinese clientele. There was almost never any local Maldivian curries or other foods which were always served at other Maldivian resorts that we stayed at. Very little local seafood was served and when it was it was expensive. We were excited to order a local fish at the Mediterranean restaurant only to be informed that it would be $250 for this fish! The local island 15 minutes away is an island filled with commercial fisherman so we were shocked to hear that we would be charged $250 for a locally caught grilled fish. The food at the Ayada was by far the worst food we have ever had in the Maldives. It should be noted that one day we visited a local island and ate at a hole-in-the-wall restaurant and the food was a million times better than at the "5 star" Ayada. We were actually excited to get back to the airport hotel in Male because the food there was incredible compared to the food at the Ayada! And there were actually people having drinks at the bars and eating food in the restaurants!

We did enjoy most of the staff at the Ayada though. Since there we no other guests to converse with (we don't speak Chinese) we became friends with many of the staff members. They were all friendly and efficient although most of them seemed unhappy to be working at the Ayada. When taking a job in the Maldives they were under the impression that they would be working close to Male. They seemed just as depressed as us to be stuck at a ghost town island in the middle of nowhere. Most of them were counting down the days until they got to leave and we didn't blame them!

We will not be going back to Ayada. There is really no reason to go there when there are MANY far superior resorts that are either a short boat ride or float plane ride away from Mali. And these resorts are the perfect mix and cool and trendy as well as relaxing. Choose one of these instead of Ayada!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Kiev
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

I'll tell you why Ayada is the best. The Devil is in the details.
During our snorkeling with Mr. Percheron I got tired near Presidential Villa. The next day we were amazed with the news that they located a jetty there to have some rest. This jetty was really useful for us during our next snorkeling trips.
Due to breakdown of our laptop we were often visitors of library.Once Daniella and Gerard noticed this, the setting in computer turned into our native language - Russian and they ordered magazines in Russian too.

But let's start from the very beginning. This is my first review ever. Our honeymoon was a
very long - awaited trip for us, we waited for it for half a year after the wedding by reason of work pressure. It took us plenty of time to choose a hotel, we did it thoroughly and precisely. And finally we discovered Ayada.

When I imagine paradise - it's perfect blue transparent water, soft sand, comfortable climate, luxury villas, delicious food and perfect service- it is all about Ayada. The island has everything necessary- it is enough large to make promenades or ride bicycles or your butler can take you anywhere anytime on his buggy. There are beautiful beaches for swimming and home reef for snorkeling, there is tennis court illuminated, nice library with books, magazines and macs and large pools in each villa. Actually, there are a lot of locations with swings, hammocks and breathtaking views for making unique photographies.(girls will understand me)))
Villas are spacious and very stylish with large sofa in the garden, coffee machine and unique decor details. Food range is different with sushi, scallops and exotic fruits. I'll tell about desserts latter, because it's worth a whole ode.

But the main value of this cozy and at the same time luxury resort is people. You feel yourself at home surrounded with care, concern and friendliness.
We would like to thank personally some of people who made our holidays perfect.
Mr. Gerard Percheron - great person, real professional, he knows every fish and coral in the hotel, he is always joyful and friendly but at the same time everything is under his control, it's amazing feeling of complete safeness and relax under his management, we are proud and happy to meet such an incredible person.
Mrs. Daniella Percheron - amazing woman with great heart and extraordinary charisma. You can talk for hours with her and it still won't be enough.
We are thankful to Nasru from the reception for providing us with USB with movies. We are really grateful to Roman for telling us interesting stories, being really helpful and friendly and being such a talented photographer)))
And we just can't express in words our gratitude to Sanjit, the executive pastry chef - a person with great heart. You can feel all his passion in his desserts, he is worth of all the Michelin stars in the world. We couldn't wait until dinner to try his new masterpiece. It wasn't just food, it was art which gives inspiration. I hope to visit his master classes someday and to learn at least a tiny speck of his magic.

Ayada, hope to see you soon!!!

P.S We recommend you to try fishing and eat your catch on the next day, to try snorkeling from the Zero Degree restaurant till the Presidential Villa and to watch both the sunset and the sunrise, it's unforgettable.

Room Tip: We fell in love with our Sunset Beach Suite!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Istanbul, Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

if someone is going to ask my best time, my answer will be this holiday. I'm 21 and at first, i though what am i going to do on an island for a week but than when i arrive there, I thought that i came to heaven. I went there with my family and they asked me to go but now, if i am going to have a trip, i will absolutely choose Ayada heaven. Everything was perfect and it was like a dream. I had great time and Ayada makes this possible. The room was great. It was huge, comfortable and had wonderful view. I had to chance to swim from my balcony. Sea was only a 3 step stair away from my room. Also, there was a pool on my balcony and I had hard time to choose which one I am going to get in. Everywhere was so clean and luxury. The staff was really kind, friendly and welcoming. I get weight because the meals are delicious! When i couldn't find pasta and asked to chef to find it he kindly said there wasn't pasta that day but after 5 minutes later, he brings a special pasta with pesto. Zeki chef is the one who made special meals and deserts for us and also he plays huge role in my gaining weight. Diving center was also so great. They were professional and master of the places. When the sad time came, i didn't wanted to turn back and i will absolutely go there even for a internship. A week passed after my holiday, I hardly adapted to my normal life and now my holiday is just like a dream.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

I had a week with my family in Ayada and it was the most AMAZING holiday I have ever had ! Place is absolutely wonderful, peaceful, relaxing. Also the hotel is perfect, the design, luxury, food, pools, water sports...It feels like heaven and I want to spend rest of my life here and never go back :(

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chengdu, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

ayada have good view,Good staffs(). but the Desk service is so terrible.
eg
My coffee machine there are some problems,I played three phone calls to the front desk.
6:00 am he said the 8 o'clock someone will come.
8:20 am let me waite
8:45 Hang up on me
Finally,Have a staff of pass by, I turned to him for help.This problem has finally been resolved。
There are some problems, I will not enumerate
They let me and my wife was very unhappy

Room Tip: Ocean Villa is very good.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Speedycook, General Manager at Ayada Maldives, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear Sir,
Thank you for posting your review of your time at Ayada Maldives on Tripadvisor.
We just wanted to say how much we appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions.
We are sorry to read that you encountered some problems with our Front Desk Staff and apologize for their behavior.
This kind of attitude is unacceptable and we want to assure you that we will immediately see into the matter.
I thank you once more for your comments and feedback as it allows us to further improve our services and products we offer.

Nevertheless we do hope that you had a memorable time here at Ayada and wish you all the best.

Sunny Greetings from Ayada Maldives.
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

My boyfriend and I spent a week at Ayada and it was the most amazing trip we have ever been on by far. This was not our first time in the Maldives and compared to other resorts Ayada blew them all out of the water. The service was outstanding!! We were treated like we were the only ones at the resort. The food was the best we have had. Chef Zeike was terrific ensuring we had the best dining experience and they has the freshest seafood! The desserts were to die for!!! I would return just to eat Chef Sanjits amazing pastries and I have travelled all thoughout Europe and Asia. I would absolutely recommend Ayada to anyone! The design an decor of the villas is beautiful we didn't want to leave our room. I cannot wait to return to Ayada. The general manager Gerard was great made sure we were well taken care of. The design an decor of the villas is beautiful we didn't want to leave our room. I cannot wait to return to Ayada. The staff were the friendliest and kindest we have ever met...every single person. Ayada truly feels like a dream come true...it is perfection!!! I am confident in saying nothing will ever compare to it!

Room Tip: Ocean Water Villa
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

My trip is a bit different from others romantic experience. I went there with my husband, in-laws and my parents. it's a much aged group, and all of us enjoyed the trip fully. There are so many great things about Ayada, friendly staffs, clean environment, beautiful views, nice room settings. But the most important thing for me is how they helped us when my mom fell sick. My mom had some severe abdominal pain due to her existing condition the 2nd day after we arrived. We called our Butler Sheyan, and he brought the resort doctor to my mom's villa. The doctor tried to treat her there, but nothing worked. we moved her to the resort clinic took more medication and nothing worked. After talking to Daniella, Ayada resort guest relationship manager, we decided to take a boat for 45 mins to another island which has a region hospital with better facilities and equipment Daniella arranged the boat around 8pm, and our Butler Sheyan and the resort doctor both went with us, so that they could help us to explain my mom's situation when we get to the hospital. They put many bath towels in the boat so my mom could lay down comfortably. The situation did not improve immediately after we arrived at hospital. Seiyan helped us greatly, translating between medical staff and us, currency exchange (the hospital accepts The Maldives currency only), getting water from the local store and etc. Even though i told him to get a hotel and i will pay for it, he insisted to stay with us overnight at the hospital after the doctor admitted my mom for the night.

my mom's situation improved the next morning. Shiyan and another Ayada staff helped us to pack our stuffs and arranged another boat to take us back to the island. We were extremely grateful for the help received from Shiyan, Deniella, and all other staffs They care about their guests sincerely. We got quite a few inquiry and greetings after we came back from the hospital, even from some staffs who we have not interacted with earlier.

Ayada's services is 6-star, no doubt. The rooms and amenities were world-class. Though I have never been to other resort in The Maldives, I doubt the ocean view we had in our room can be matched on other islands.

The only thing i see Ayada could improve is their meal plans. I have been in many cruises and all-inclusive resorts. Relatively speaking, their lunch choices are somewhat limited since there is only one restaurant open for lunch. it became challenging to choose an entry from the same menu after a couple of days.

Overall, it's one of the best trips I ever took, with so many memorable moments.

Room Tip: personally i loved our beach sunset resort, even more than ocean villa. It is like you have your own...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Ayada Maldives? Share your experiences!