“Un gioliello in Umbria” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Le Torri Di Bagnara

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Solfagnano
Le Torri Di Bagnara
You added Le Torri Di Bagnara to your Saves list
Strada Bruna 8 | loc. Pieve San Quirico, 06134 Solfagnano, Perugia, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Solfagnano
London
“Un gioliello in Umbria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

Sadly we only had three days just after Easter to sample the delights of Perugia and the surrounding area. Le Torri, a former abbey/castle just over 20km north of Perugia provided a great (and relaxing) base. The food was great (you basically choose what you want for dinner from a small but imaginative menu in the morning), and so was the wine. Currently their 2007 Sangiovese is an excellent choice. It was a little too early for their pool to be open but the grounds are vast and even when fully booked I don't think it will ever feel crowded. Service was both efficient and friendly.
Any downsides? Some rooms probably overlook a terraced space that may have to be used as a car park during very busy periods. And the last part of the access from the 'main' road is a little steep - those not familiar with unpaved mountain roads may want to make sure they arrive during daylight, at least on their first day.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
, Proprietario at Le Torri Di Bagnara, responded to this review, May 6, 2011
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sparing time and posting a review of your stay at "Le Torri di Bagnara" on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to note that you very much enjoyed your stay. Your enthusiasm and kind appreciation motivates us.

The terraced space that you saw through your room window, is the new side of our large terraced garden. Our gardeners are now planting there flowers and fruit trees.

I look forward to welcoming you back soon to your home in Umbria.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2010

Le Torri di Bagnara enjoys a beautiful hillside setting overlooking the valley of the Tiber (Tevere) river about 10 miles north of Perugia. Guests are accommodated in beautifully restored stone buildings. The main lodge has a large outdoor courtyard with tables for drinks or just relaxing and a tower with terrace—a perfect place to contemplate the countryside. The guest rooms are spacious, comfortable, beautifully appointed and airy, with views looking out to the nearby hills. The amenities show a keen eye for beauty and appreciation for ecology; the soaps and lotions are all organic and exquisite and the whirlpool bath is high quality. The food is mostly local, prepared by a friendly cook and amazingly fresh. For breakfast there is an extensive buffet with a wide array of breads, pastries, meats and cheeses, as well as fruit, juice and - of course - excellent coffee and a surprisingly fine selection of tea. The delicious, attractively presented fixed-price dinners offer a seasonal selection of local dishes and provide a fine introduction to the cuisine of the region. During our stay we enjoyed an outstanding porcini risotto, tender fresh-fed veal (raised on the property) in truffle sauce, roasted eggplant with rocket (arugula) and other fall vegetables from the garden, plus a variety of home-made pastas. The desserts vary each night; the Perugina chocolate mousse and wild berry panna cotta we sampled were both exquisite. The family that owns Le Torri also makes its own olive oil (you can walk among the olive groves on the property) and produces red and white wine from its vineyards in Tuscany which are offered by the glass or bottle at dinner for a very fair price.

The multi-lingual staff is extremely pleasant, professional and helpful. If you are fortunate enough to meet the proprietor, she is a very gracious lady who will be happy to share her knowledge of the history of the property and its surroundings. The location makes it a convenient base for exploring the Umbrian countryside. The resort property itself features miles of walking, hiking and biking trails, with helpful signpost indicating trails, tree varieties and local fauna, and is an exciting place for photography. There is also a seasonal swimming pool, with a beautiful setting, so that it is equally well suited to provide a relaxing break from the rigors of touring. A stay at the Torri di Bagnara is truly a once in a lifetime experience and is sure to be a highlight of any Umbrian itinerary. We enjoyed it in October, but would love to return to see another season among the olives and chestnut trees.

H. Fetter and L Fishman, Los Angeles

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
, Proprietario at Le Torri Di Bagnara, responded to this review, December 19, 2010
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sparing time and posting a review of your stay at Le Torri di Bagnara on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased that my team and I could create memorable experiences on your holiday. Your appreciation motivates us.

I look forward to welcoming you back to your home in Umbria and take this opportunity to wish you the very best for the festive season and the New Year 2011.

vmerr20@optonline.net
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2010

My husband and I spent 4 days here for my husband's birthday as part of our Umbrian experience. I chose the Torre from the glowing reviews and the beautiful pictures as well as from the many exuberant emails received from the owner. I received a special rate for booking early and paying ahead of time. I was concerned about a few issues, including the location away from the larger towns as well as the road leading up to the Torre which a few people complained about. We found that for the most part, the location and the road were not the problem. The Torri is not difficult to find if you follow the directions carefully. The location is in the gorgeous Umbrian countryside not far from Perugia (which we were glad we did not choose to stay in). We used the Torri as a base to see other towns such Gubbio, Deruta, Torgiano, Todi. Yes, the unpaved, rocky, road is a beaut with deep ruts.; you need to be in first gear, especially on the first of four windy curves. Thank God nobody was coming down while we were going up! When we arrived at the top, the restored buildings and the calm, peaceful atmosphere were very accurately reflected in the pictures. It was very old, historic, and charming. In my emails to the owner, she was justifiably proud of her property. She said we would receive a complimentary tasting of their products when we registered, but this was not offered to us. We did have a little glass of prosecco and nuts, but not what she included in her emails to me. We encountered a very warm reception from the one of the two young ladies who run the operation for the owner who never appeared in person. Both women were very professional and very charming at all times. We were told that the entire site closed up after 8 pm. and we were provided with an electronic key. This was news to us and we both decided that it was way too scary to leave down that road and drive around looking for a place to eat in the dark countryside. We were sorry that we did not get to use the beautiful pool since an early cold front came through and nights were not cool, but cold, lasting most of the morning until the sun came out. When there was no sun, it was chilly all day and cold at night. I specifically chose the Peony Room which was large, very clean, nicely decorated in the Peony theme, with a beautiful view of a fortification across hill facing us. However, we really needed the jacuzzi tub to work on our aching, cold muscles (LOL) and it never did. I had to ask for towels to be replaced since the room and bathroom were so cold, they did not dry. Seriously, I was shaking in the room and so thankful that another hotel gave us beautiful slippers since the floor was like ice. My husband who is usually warm and never complains said that he was uncomfortable....and on his birthday, no less. We enjoyed breakfast which was delicious with very good coffee, choices of cheese, fruit, and eggs cooked to order on request. The young server, I believe her name is Serena, was lovely, so sweet. We ate our meals with the small number of guests there....two couples from Great Britain, one couple with their son from Germany (one day), and a couple from the Netherlands for three days. We all complained that our rooms were not cool, but cold. All meals were served in a little outside restaurant area and we had to put on four high heaters just to make it liveable. We enjoyed the set dinner with two choices per course for 34 Euros; it was quite good...homemade and delicious, especially pastas and the desserts. Their cook is very talented. We were worried about leaving in the dark down that windy, pebbly road so we did not try any other restaurants in the area for the first 3 days. Then everybody left on Monday and we were the only clients left. We were really perturbed when were told, "Sorry, we are closed on Monday. Nobody will be here and you will have to find another place to eat lunch and dinner." I was caught unaware that the Torre was totally closed on Monday. This information should have been provided to me in my emails by the owner. We should have been informed and given the opportunity to leave one day early, especially since we felt abandoned being left in an empty place with no services provided for us. Moreover, I would have left early because it was freezing in the room. Both my husband and I were shaking from the cold, especially after using the shower/bath. Finally, a comforter was put on our bed, but even this was not enough. You could not sit in the beautiful drawing room outside of our bedroom since it was so cold. It was absolutely creepy to be in the building by ourselves at night...we did laugh about ghosts...We met lovely local people who always said, "Please send us more tourists. Tell teverybody to come visit." I heartily agree, but Monday with no restaurants open and having to drive around and absolutely nothing and nowhere to eat was daunting. I told my husband that we were going back to the Torre and I was going to raid the kitchen for food. Thank God Serena was still busy cleaning up and I begged her to make us a sandwich. The main room where the meals were served was the only comfortable place to sit since the heaters were there. Frankly, this is totally unacceptable. If you can't or won't turn the heat on, be honest, tell your clients that they can leave early or at least have the compassion to provide electric heaters in your client's room, or at the minimum provide slippers and a heavy bathrobe. Having a hotel policy of only turning on the heat after a certain date should not be applied when clients are very cold....it was in the mid-40s and those stone rooms were not keeping the cold out...each day felt worse than the last. The only good thing to come out of our discomfort was the recommended Villa Taticchi where we spent an incredible evening with the owners/family who had a roaring fireplace going and a beautiful setting for a homemade meal of outstanding antipasti, pasta, veal, and the fantastic homemade tart made by the sweet little lady who owned the villa..also they roasted chestnuts for us. We felt like we were part of the family...so I would tell you to go to the Torri but more in season and definitely not to feel intimidated by the ROAD....get down that hill and run to the Villa Taticchi for a memorable meal in a beautiful old villa....And I would tell the absent owner that she should be very proud of her beautiful establishment but not to abandon any of her clients/guests for any reason...

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sparing time and posting your review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to note that you have appreciated location, building, room, atmosphere, food, breakfast and warm reception.

I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you by the cold. Please consider that the Perugia municipality decides, each year, the policy for turning on the heating at a certain date, that, in Fall 2010, was October 15. So during your stay (October 8-11), we weren’t able to turn the heating on without violating the law. In case of early cold, each of our 7 Abbey relais rooms features an electric heater; the remote control to turn it on was on the table in your room; I apologize you were not informed properly. Your feedback has been shared with our staff who will always check and assure adequate temperature in each room moreover we will put an electric heater in the bathrooms also.

I am very sorry you were not able to turn the whirlpool on; the reason is that the security switch that is in the bathroom was off. Even if the waitress put it on at each arrival, Guests may turn if off unintentionally. I thank you for your feedback: we have already put a sign over the security switch to inform Guests and avoid that they may put it off.

I apologize for the wrong information was given to you: 1) as you may have seen, there is staff at reception till 10:30/11:00 pm every day (even later in case of late check in); we provide each Guest with an electronic key so you may feel free to return at the Abbey any time at night without being obliged to call our night watchman. 2) the restaurant is open every day; I apologize on October 11 we were obliged to keep it closed at dinner (light lunch was available as usual), due to a sudden unexpected serious problem of the cooker. You are right to claim and next time we will find a solution to keep the restaurant open.

Please consider that the complimentary tasting of our products is made any time at the clients’ request; I apologize my staff did not remind it to you. The flute of Italian champagne we offered you at arrival was our welcome drink.

Finally, I am very sorry we did not meet cause I am always in the property (24/7). I thank you for your feedback: in the future I will scheduled a daily cocktail at around 7:00 pm at the Abbey in order to meet all Guests.

Dear Guest, your feedback is valuable to us and helps us in our endeavor of constant improvement. I once again thank you for it.

Thanks and regards,

Saint Simons Island, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2010

My husband and I stayed 3 nights in one of the junior suites. Very spacious room although we did make a mess every time we showered since there was no shower curtain nor glass partition. That's not unusual in Europe though. Housekeeping made sure everything was nice and neat when we returned after a day of sightseeing.
Lucia & Elania , the front desk staff extraordinaire were wonderful - very friendly and helpful.
Had dinner there two nights: great food but there was too much of it! Enjoyed all our meals in the enclosed patio. Met some other quests and really enjoyed talking with them over dinner and drinks.
The ambiance was wonderful. Beautiful and very peaceful. The gravel driveway concerned us but after the first time going up and down, it was no problem even though we had an automatic car.
Great value, great place. Definitely would stay there again if we ever visited Umbria again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Your appreciation of the place, the food, the ambience and the team is motivating and we are pleased that we could provide value to your stay.

The ensuite bathroom of your room features a white marble double bathtub; it is fitted in an ancient medieval stone arch hence there is no shower curtain nor glass (the other Abbey rooms features glass shower). I have made note of your comment and I will work with our technicians to find a solution.

istanbul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

my husband and me stayed 3 nights in this wonderful hotel. From the first minute we were just thrilled to be in this property. The stuff was so helpfull with excellent english and so well organized.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

I thank you for sparing time and posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I am pleased to note that you very much enjoyed your stay at Le Torri di Bagnara. Your enthusiasm and kind appreciation motivates us.

Porstmouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

It is a small hotel is set in a large country estate on the hillside across the valley from the motorway 10 miles north of Perugia. We stayed there 4 days at the beginning of October and found it an excellent place to base ourselves for touring by car from Gubbio in the east, to Assisi and to Siena in the west. It was also a lovely place to chill out by the pool and walk/cycle round the paths on the estate. The restaurant was excellent, specialising in food from the family estate and at 34 Euros for a 4 course dinner, reasonably priced. Set in an 11th C abbey, it was tastefully refurbished some 5 years ago and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I am please that you enjoyed the stay at our hotel and that the services and facilities were up to your expectations. The Cooker is delighted to hear of your appreciation of the food !

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

This is a hotel to go to if you want a very peaceful hotel in the middle of nowhere. The surroundings are very extensive, woods, fields and miles of paths to explore, with beautiful scenery.

However i would only reccommend one or possibly two nights here if you are looking for a bit more to do in the evenings etc. You can eat here, but i didnt rate the food very highly, so you need to have a car to go out for dinner otherwise.

Generally the hotel room was pleasant, not modern, but clean and an ample size. The view from the window looking out across to the woods was lovely and extremely quiet.

I felt slightly let down by the meal in the restaurant, it was over priced and very basic. The breakfasts in the morning are ok, but again not some of the best i have tried and not a huge range of choice.

The staff were friendly, but not particularly competent in handling certain things. I was disappointed to learn i had to pay for the bike hire, which considering we were staying off season and the only opeople in the hotel with a whole bike rack of bikes to use, this seemed a bit ridiculous. Internet is also charged.

I have to say i had quite high expectations of this hotel and was quite disappointed, it is certainly costly for the area considering its standard. I believe most of the cost is for the location and its surroundings rather than attention to detail and service.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
, Direttore generale at Le Torri Di Bagnara, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
The review of this young lady is not complete . She forgot to mention as follows:

1) FREE ADDITIONAL SERVICES we offered her:
-FREE UPAGRADING AT ARRIVAL: she booked a Classic Double room (it’s the basic one even if it’s already a luxury room), and they got at arrival for free a Superior Double Room with whirlpool bathtub where they spent their 2 nights stay.
-COMPLIMENTARY ITALIAN CHAMPAGNE at arrival.
-COMPLIMENTARY TASTING OF OUR FARMS PRODUCE (extra virgin olive oil, hoiney , the red and white doc wines from our tuscan vineyards), that we offered them at reservation.

2) DINNER MENU: our restaurant daily menu a la carte serves the best Umbria traditional dishes. Menu changes every day and always features home made pasta, home made breads and cakes, the meats from our breedings, the vegetables and fruit from our kitchen garden, berries from our woodland. All our dishes are made-to-order and food is cooked and dressed with our PDO extra virgin olive oil (no butter, no other kind of oil). For the reasons mentioned above, our food is very genuine and delicious.
Price for this 4 courses menu a la carte is € 34 per person only.

The day this young lady and her friend had dinner at our restaurant, our menu served :
Starters:

-Home-made “Tagliatelle” pasta with “Pachino” tomatoes and “Porcini” mushrooms
-Risotto with “Radicchio” from Treviso

Main corse:
-Roasted PGI “Chianina” Veal from our breeding, with baked Potatoes
-Roasted Goose from our breeding in “porchetta” style with our kitchen garden grilled mix vegetables
-Our hens eggs Omelette filled with crispy bacon, caciotta cheese and asparagus, with a tomatoes salad from our kitchen garden

Cakes
-Nougat half frozen Dessert
-Typical “Salame del Re” Chocolate Dessert
-Pineapple with maraschino liquor

3) OUR FULL CONTINENTAL BUFFET BREAKFAST: consists of more that 30 different kind of food and beverage, including: homemade bread, homemade pies, brioches and cakes that change every day, fresh fruit, milk, yoghurt, different kind of cheese, ham and salami to be cut, fruit and vegetables centrifuges , eggs from our hens, many kind of cereals,an assortment of fruit juices, toast, organic jams, omelette, ecc – You may find the full menu of our breakfast in our website.

3) BEDROOM: our 7 Abbey Relais bedrooms feature original antique furnishings but all modern conforts such us: air conditioning, flat sat TV, minibar, telephone, WIFI internet connection, safe-box, ensuite large bathroom with all services (some with whirlpool bathtub). Maybe this young lady did not catch the difference between old forniture and antique original furnishings.

4) WIFI and BIKES : most hotel charge them extra cause these services have maintenance costs. We charge € 5/half day - € 8/full day only per the mountain bikes and € 2/1 hour - € 3,5/6 hours - € 5/24 hours per the WIFI connection.
It looks very strange to us that a guest may complaint about that and criticize our staff for charging guests additional services.

5) RATES: our resort features high standards but with very competitive rates, as everybody may check visiting our website. All same level hotels in the area are more expensive (please check in the internet), so it is unfounded to say that our is costly for the area.

As regards the “high expectations” of this young lady,it is a very simplistic, easy and not-objective way to criticize. Everything may not fulfill the “personal” expectations of somebody.
Our goal is to fulfill objective standards and continue to guaratee a 1st class hospitality.

Been to Le Torri Di Bagnara? Share your experiences!