On one hand I am delighted to provide a review of ‘our’ Villa di Monte Solare. On the other I am reluctant to share! It is in fact, the most perfect spot in every way and if I am lucky to continue to return to recharge my batteries and find my soul in those Umbrian hills I will be a very lucky woman indeed.
Once settled in charming, extremely comfortable accommodation, the villa and grounds are there to explore. Lovingly restored by Filippo and Rosi, its history is not only fascinating but something guests are encouraged to know. Filippo is a most gracious host as he escorts his small groups of interested guests around each week.
It would be very easy to just stay put – not venture out too far because it IS so welcoming, peaceful and respectful of guests wanting to escape and relax. However, the lure of those beautiful Umbrian medieval towns with their troves of art and history is not to be underestimated or missed. It is best to factor in the time to do both. Explore during the day and return and be rewarded with time by the pool.
The spa is an experience in itself. Imagine – privacy and peace as you lie having a massage or manicure – looking out of the window to the hills. I will never forget the haze of the sun, the gentle colours of the landscape and the sounds of the crickets. As far removed from an urban spa as you can imagine.
When people travel, eating out is always a treat. Here we could and did dine at both the Dolium – outside the main villa beneath the stars – and then more informally at La Capannina. Yes we could have explored other restaurants in nearby towns but it was such a pleasure to sit and dine amongst the summer sounds and perfume and feel as we literally had died and gone to heaven – why would we move?
So you can see that whilst it is my pleasure to write all these comments, I am very territorial about it too! When you stay here you literally feel as if YOU are the most important guests. Rosi takes the time to talk to each and every guest dining at Dolium every night. It’s an opportunity to learn more about the area and understand the Italian culture. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and I have never experienced such warmth and understated charm – from everyone.
Our goal is to return with our brood – four grown-up children – and have Christmas! I know we would be made to feel very welcome and to discover Umbria in the winter months will be a totally different experience. More than that I want to share it with those I love most.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a remote hillside above Lake Trasimeno, Villa di Monte Solare nestles in gorgeous grounds punctuated by cypress trees and fountains a few miles from Perugia. An enchanting villa, that for centuries was home to an aristocratic family, it is now a delightful boutique hotel with an excellent restaurant, two swimming pools, a tennis court and a pampering spa.Rooms and suites at Villa di Monte Solare are distributed between the villa, complete with marble fireplaces, terracotta floors and antique furniture, or in one of the 350-year-old farmhouses on the estate, also beautifully furnished but with a more rustic feel. Wander around the walled Italian garden and discover the chapel. Then, head to the pool and take in the sweeping views of the Muserale Valley and the Mongiovino hills.Take a cooking class with the chef to learn authentic Italian cuisine and then try to match a wine to your dish with a wine tasting session. In between swimming, relaxing, spa treatments and tennis find some time to visit some of the nearby villages for a feel of Umbrian life. End your day with delicious Italian cuisine in Villa di Monte Solare’s restaurant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Venere and Priceline so you can book your Villa di Monte Solare reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Di Monte Solare Hotel Tavernelle Di Panicale
- Hotel Di Monte Solare
- Di Monte Solare Hotel
- Villa Di Monte Solare Italy/Umbria