“Food-value-and-service-exceeded-expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Piazza C. Marx 8A/9, Tavernelle di Panicale, Italy
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Description: As far as I can tell, this small, family owned local restaurant doesn't have a website, but I did collect the business card. The phone number listed on the card is: +39 075.83.55.836. The owner's name is Lorenzo Nugness.
“Food-value-and-service-exceeded-expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012 via mobile

We were unsure because previous reviewer gave low rating however we're really pleased we went. Our Italian is very poor but the team really worked hard to look after us in what turned out to be a busy evening for them. We had a house special with several plates for antipasti followed by pizza - both were excellent topped off with a bottle of good local wine. it was excellent value and a perfect evening.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“A truly excellent - and truly local - dining experience.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

A friend and I had dinner here while we were staying at the nearby Villa di Monte Solar (which I have also reviewed). We found it by accident as we were driving around in search of dinner – the hotel didn’t seem to want to recommend any other restaurant besides its own. We happened upon Il Capriccio as we were driving through Tavernelle and I am so glad that we did!

The restaurant was my favorite kind of Italian restaurant: simple décor, jugs of house wine served in small water glasses, fresh and fabulous regional food, owned by locals, staffed by locals, and frequented by locals. We both had what turned out to be a huge antipasti dish that had a little bit of everything – all of it great. It was clearly a menu that was in keeping with the seasons – you can usually tell a quality restaurant by its refusal to serve out-of-season dishes. This being winter, they had a wonderful wild-boar ragu served over homemade tagliatelle. The service was cheerful and the young owner, Lorenzo, went out of his way to make sure we were treated well. Our total bill for two people (including wine) came to 40 euro.

The table next to us was full of friendly residents of Tavernelle, one of whom was an elderly, amateur opera singer who would occasionally burst out singing bits of different arias. It was a delightfully pleasant evening in great company with wonderful food. We were disappointed that we only discovered it on our last night there because we definitely would have gone back. I’m planning another trip to Umbria and Il Capriccio will be one of my first stops.

• Visited January 2012