“A Gem in the Umbrian Hills” 5 of 5 stars
Review of I Casali di Colle San Paolo

You added I Casali di Colle San Paolo to your Saves list
I Casali di Colle San Paolo
Loc. Muserale 8 Colle San Paolo | Panicale, PG, 06068 Tavernelle di Panicale, Italy   |
Toronto, Canada
“A Gem in the Umbrian Hills”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We were nine in total, three families from three generations. We stayed a week at Molinella and Poderacio, then the second week we were all at Molinella. Everyone had a splendid time, and especially the children, who spent hours in the pool and up at Fontanella.
What makes the experience special, though, are Monica and Sabina. They welcomed us as family, and Monica went out of her way a couple of times to help us. (There's nothing like locking your keys in your rented car...).
They were a source of great information and advice.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Polish first
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Spent a nice and relaxing week here with my two kids. They both LOVED the art camp and the kids involved. Sabina and her sisters do a wonderful job of letting you know what's going on in the area and how to get there. There was always something really fun and unique to do! I would definintely go back again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

One of my favorite places in Italy, I Casali di Colle San Paolo is magical spot tucked in the hills of Umbria near the town of Tavernelle. I stayed for two weeks in the recently remodeled stone farmhouse of Molinella. Our apartment had all the conveniences of the modern world--dishwasher, washing machine, air conditioning, and beautiful bathrooms, plus endless Italian charms that you can't find anywhere else. (Americans be prepared to hang your clothes to dry--you might actually find yourself enjoying this method as I did!) The kitchen is well appointed and I enjoyed cooking meals. The apartment comfortably slept five of us. With three hamlets on the property, there are a variety of different options to accommodate families and groups of different sizes. The hamlets are spaced out enough to feel remote while still remaining close to town. The surrounding area is stunning, with views of wooded hillsides, olive trees, and vineyards in every direction. Be sure to stop by the cheese maker's for fresh pecorino and yogurt on your way up the hill. You may even catch a glimpse of the shepherdess grazing through with her flock. There are gorgeous pools for sunbathing and swimming and patios equipped with BBQ's and tables for outdoor cooking and dining. The wooded area is full of hiking and mountain biking trails. The location is perfect for day trips to Panicale and other nearby fortified cities. One of the best things about Colle is the family that owns the property. They go above and beyond to ensure the comfort of their guests, and to make sure your experience is unforgettable. They are an excellent source of recommendations for local dinning and attractions, and happily coordinate outings from truffle hunting and wine tasting to visiting the local chocolate factory and ancient Etruscan ruins. I give Colle my highest recommendation!

San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

I read the great reviews but didn't think I would be so bowled over by this place. It was more than good - it was extraordinary.

First let's get some basics out of the way. The setting is gorgeous, as I expected from the photos. Our apartment in Fontanelle was clean and practical, nothing too fancy.

What makes this place special are its proprietors. Without them we never would have attended the local church fundraising dinner, where our kids played soccer with the locals on the square. We never would have gone truffle hunting with a count, quite an experience. We never would have had that private wine tasting dinner on a beautiful estate. My kids wouldn't have been able to attend an excellent week long art camp, where they made close friends and enjoyed the now rare freedom of playing outdoors, unattended, for hours.

Monika and Sabine do more than go out of their way to help you. They make you, for a brief time, part of their lives. My daughter was nearly devastated to go.

To be honest, I wondered a little about this place because it is, relatively speaking, considerably less expensive than hotels we had stayed at in the past. I would never have guessed our experience would end up being so rich, particularly for our kids. Just go.

Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We truly enjoyed our stay; I Casali di Colle San Paolo is magical. Monica, one of the owners, was very helpful. She emailed us 14 pages of information about what to do in the area. She speaks English and so was very helpful when we had questions or problems. I am only frustrated that we couldn't stay longer than one week to do and see more! Our family (me, my husband and 4 children - ages 19-6) were enchanted with the natural beauty - no car sounds, no plane sounds, no sirens. We went out at night to just look at the stars! You are on top of a mountain and it's breathtaking. It was so restful and peaceful. The apartment we stayed in "Il Frontoio" in the Farmhouse Fontanelle was a perfect size for the 6 of us. It was very clean; had a kitchen so we could have a few breakfasts and lunches. Monica prepared breakfast for us the first morning for a small few and I would highly suggest adding this to your stay! I am also sad that I am no longer in Italy for the wonderful food and breakfasts! I Casali is a great location for a "home base". You can take day trips and return at night. I think when you are traveling with younger children it's important to be in one place for their comfort. We really enjoyed the following day trips: Sienna; Pisa (just to see it); Firenze (Florence, but if you want to see David, please get tickets well in advance; we took a two hour train and were not able to see Michelangelo's David; after a brief cry on my part, we walked to the Ponte Vecchio and all was well!); Assisi, Castiglione del Lago; San Feliciano and the ferry to Isola Polvese. The pool is fabulous; although the air temperature did not warm up for us to swim alot - because we are American!!! Please be aware that the driveway is long and steep-again, we are American's and had to drive a manual transmission!!! I would absolutely go back and stay at I Casali!

Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

We stayed for a week in La Rovarella, a one bedroom villa.
The villa was very large, with a large grassed area, BBQ, & shared pool.
The villa is very comfortable, with everything you could need
We were lucky, as the other 2 apartments were empty while we were there, but the way they are placed, I think you would still have plenty of privacy and quiet, even if they were both occupied.
The area is close to Tavernelle, for supplies and restaurants.
It is an easy drive to Assisi, Perugia, Spoleto, and the list goes on.
The local cheese and yoghurts are excellent as well.
Monica was an excellent host.
Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Beautiful retreat in the Umbrian hills. You are very well looked after and the facilities are excellent. Plenty to do and see in the locality; nicest of all was to relax by the "pool with a view" or to go for a walk on the estate.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to I Casali di Colle San Paolo? Share your experiences!