“Fish specialists” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fish specialists”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

A birthday treat from my father in law. I will need to stay in his good books by continuing to treat his daughter well.

This restaurant know how to serve quality seafood. Ok a bit above what we would normally spend but well worth it.

I am not going to give our selection as I am confident all the seafood dishes are perfection on a plate.

Desserts had both a rhubarb and a rice pudding on offer. I went for the rice pudding with prunes accompanied by the sake desert wine. An excellent combination.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
redchilly94, General Manager at Riverside Restaurant, responded to this review, April 27, 2014
Thank you very much for your review so pleased your father in-law enjoyed his birthday celebration with us.. we look forward to seeing you all again soon

Bridport, United Kingdom
“over-priced”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

Hadn't been to the Riverside for a couple of years - returning this March I was disappointed. The food was good quality and well cooked but the portions were small and the dishes were expensive. I find it difficult to understand how two lemon sole fillets can cost over £40!
The service was fine but inexperienced.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
redchilly123, Owner at Riverside Restaurant, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
For complete accuracy we feel it is important to point out that it was two full lemon sole meals and not just two lemon sole fillets as suggested in the review.
Buckingham, United Kingdom
“Very good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We had a great meal here on Valentines Day amid a pretty dreadful storm.
The water was flooded up over the walkway across to the restaurant, so it was a pretty hectic evening, but even so, we had a lovely evening, and excellent food. Service was a little patchy but that was understandable on the night!
Really good menu, and they did a great Valentines Menu, and good wine too. Good value.. all in all a really good night (even though we had to go out all dressed up and in wellies!)

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
oxford
“Panny 50”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

I had not visited the Riverside for about fifteen years. It was always my favourite and continually gave the wow factor. How disappointed I was when I visited last week with my Mother. The set menu was certainly not the cheapest but we were more than happy to pay as we were expecting the best. The starter was simple, and very nicely cooked but the main course was so similar to the starter and the fish changed from hake to a thin haddock fillet we felt very let down. I remember 'Arthur's ' when we queued for Lobster or scallops with those queuing for cream tea or sandwiches. It then became a restaurant and was always excellent. I hope we just visited on an off day and that this is not the norm.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Bridport, United Kingdom
“Charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2014

Lunch at the Riverside is actually no more expensive than prices at many 'gastro pubs' these days, where food can be all show but not great quality. The food at the Riverside is always fresh and beautifully cooked. You leave feeling it was worth every penny. It's a charming setting for an evening meal on a special occasion.

• Visited September 2013