“Lonely Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Club Amigo Caracol

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Santa Lucia
Club Amigo Caracol
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Playa Santa Lucia, Cuba   |
Tampa, Florida
“Lonely Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Went to get away from the commotion of family to be with my husband and enjoy the beach. The beach is beautiful and the staff super friendly. Very few people , I believe another couple was there besides ourselves. Rooms need to be updated badly, there was a kinda moldy oder and the tv and bed must be from the 50s. Other then that it was pretty quiet and boring.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

554 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

I have stayed at the Brisas twice, the Mayanabo once and now, twice at the Caracol and would return here in a heartbeat.
The staff are wonderful, especially Naomi at the front desk, trying to meet our room needs. We flew with Air Transit, having booked through Redtag using Nolitours, and, even though we had paid only for "gardenview", we knew that there were many rooms that had wonderful water views. Given the time frame, June, we also knew that the hotel would not be busy so we had requested an ocean view.
When we arrived at the front desk, we recognized Naomi from our last trip and said so...she quickly advised that she had us in an ocean front room but that if we checked back with her the next morning, she could do better. And, she did...we went from a lower floor 403 to an upper floor corner suite, 520, and couldn't have been happier! Everything is very close there so really it matters not what block you are in but if you want a lovely corner view, this is a wonderful room. It's right by a beach access and a two minute walk to the lobby, snackbar as well as the buffet.
The food was prepared very well and even though there wasn't tremendous variety, especially in the green vegetable area, it was good. We attended one show and it was excellent. The only complaint we had was that the pool swim up bar was shut down for the duration of our stay. Also, we received a notice during our stay that the pool was to be shut down but being beach goers, it didn't matter.
A real plus that there were no sand fleas which we seemed to be plagued with elsewhere in Cuba...some mosquitos but it was summer there and after they sprayed, so much for the mosquitos. A tip is to bring spray as well as antihistamines which we took religiously everyday and had no problems.
The water was warm, the beach wonderful although I do recommend water shoes since there is quite a bit of seaweed in front of the hotel. Since it was off season, we had no problems with finding a shady spot or sunny spot - the world was our oyster!
One other point is that the hotel's internet is extremely slow so you can go to Cubacell and buy an hour for 4.5 pesos - it's about a 15 minute walk but will save you a lot of frustration in the end!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Chatham, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

This resort gives 100%. Not sure why it has a 3* rating. Got an amazing deal so went for 2 weeks. 800.00 a person for club hola junior suite. First time to Cuba and was extremely pleased. Re booking as a Christmas present for my children. Had 2 issues with room safe and problem was fixed within 10 minutes.
Gardens were raked daily and tended to non stop. Room is a bit worn but, always clean with plenty of towels. We requested 2 extra pillows and received them right away. Lots of hot water and working air conditioner. Remember you usually are only in room to sleep. Can't beat the price for a fantastic trip.
Internet is dial up you have to buy an internet card its 6.00 for 1hr and phone calls can be made at pay phone. You have to buy a phone card....at front desk
Buffet repetitive always chicken, fish and pasta....something for everyone
Beach Grill/bar hamburger, hotdogs, fries, grilled ham and cheese available 10-5
Thursdays lunch buffet is at the grill
A la Carte never went must make reservations by noon to get in.
Pool always cleaned large and lively entertainment staff. Pool was warmer as day went on open 9-6
Security is at front Lobby and a person walks resort and one at the beach entrance never a concern for safety.
Mosquitoes were not an issue first week because of the wind which was appreciated due to heat but, second week they were out for 3 days. The first evening they sprayed and continued morning and night to keep them under control.
Didn't use the gym but had weights, treadmills and rowing machine. Kids club available.
Beach was amazing. A tractor cleaned beach every morning to get the grass cleaned up.
No sand fleas or jelly fish..told jelly fish are only present in the summer and not the dangerous ones. Usually windy. Water on windy days cleared by noon. Amazing snorkeling right off the beach. Go to the red flag passed the last buoy.
Commercial centre is to the right of the beach where they have the White Party on Saturday nights. Young crowd....lots of drinking. Luna Mar restaurant is there as well and is suppose to be awesome.
Snorkeling in front of resort near red flag and swim to the right go out farther( make a square most areas are under 5ft of water. 10-20 ft from fllag we regularly saw cuttlefish, puffer fish, box fish, angels, tangs, lion fish, eels, red snapper, crabs, flounder and trigger fish among others that I have to look up for names. Take a banana with you they will eat out of your hands. water by mid day was like bath water very warm..take a good mask ours kept fogging up and a dry snorkel so you don't swallow salt water.
Also at the boat house talk to them about snorkeling they know all the good spots to tell you about. No sharks in the shallow waters off the resort... Saw a 3ft cat shark near the reef past Brisas in 20 ft of water. More scared of you swam away. They are bottom dwellers. The reef farther out " 2 nd largest Great Barrier Reef which we had to take a catamaran to had a shipwreck, lots of fish and a larger cat shark they stayed hidden in the reef. Never saw any swimming and we were there snorkeling in 15 -20 ft of water. Rough wavy but still could see everything at the bottom. A must to go and experience. .in Coco beach bull sharks are feed and are rarely at the beach areas.There is a fishing boat area that cleans fish and Shark friends to a 27 meter dive to feed them. Completely safe. They know the routine.
There were a few peddlers asking if you want to buy things. A simple no thank you and they leave you alone. I was told by a regular to swap your clothes for items and keep your money. They sell t-shirts etc. and make lots of money doing this.
We were invited to a house in Santa Lucia for supper. We were hesitant only because we never had been to Cuba and were scared it may not be safe. We were told by other guests no worries its just a way to supplement their income, FYI A Cuban only make $2.00 per week. The cuc (money only tourists can use) has to be exchanged at the bank by the cubans to get there currency. They are prohibited to buy items with convertible pesos. :( A way for government to control how much they make.
We went by horse and buggy for 35.00 cuc per couple and had 2 lobster dinners complete with rice, salad and fried bananas. A few musicians came off the beach and sang for us.
Another house we were invited to was in Coco Beach. We went for 50.00 cuc per couple. Was a 30 minute buggy ride which stopped so we could get pictures of the flamingos and spent an hour in Coco Beach..Absolutely breath taking but not a lot of shade. There is a beach bar and Grill that had seating area in an open building with plenty of shade, A few peddlers on the beach. Just tell them no money with you they will leave you alone. Next we were picked up by a horse and buggy and taken to the house. We were taken to a ship wreck to which is in the channel. A little rough and a strong current. Snorkeled for an hour and went to the house for a red snapper dinner and a chicken dinner. They will make anything you want to eat. Came with rice, salad and fried bananas. Very friendly people and clean.
Trips: Hola Sun gave us a free trip to King Ranch definitely go. Taken to on a coach bus. They have a rodeo, pig roast, Omelets for vegetarians, A trip to the local village and school...bring items of any sort from toiletries, clothes, shoes, school supplies, candy, toys etc. This is a remote village and are in need of these items. They will line the streets waiting for kindness. No begging very polite and respectful. We were shown a medicinal garden as well.
Playa Bonita: 79.00 per person leave at 9am and arrive at 3-4 pm.
Amazing catamaran trip. Went to a beach to swim, have lunch then taken to a reef to snorkel. Stunning.
Deep sea fishing 70.00 per person and 20 for a non fisher. 2.5 hr trip inside the reef if it is too wavy. Didn't catch anything. A few bites that's all. The guide was trying really hard. 5 lines in and switching bait often.
Santa Lucia- took a horse and buggy to the bank... 10.00 cuc. horse and buggy to Coco beach 20.00 round trip and they stay with you.
airport....you can buy medical insurance before you show your passport...2.50 per day.
Fast, efficient and you can exchange money after you pick up your bags go outside and it is to the right around the corner.
You can buy VIP at the resort for the way home its 20 a person VIP check in at the airport and go to a comfy lounge with snacks and drinks all included.
Overall an awesome deal and will promote this resort.
Went to Mayanaboo- quiet and dated
Gran Cub need a lot of mainetance .....gardens, paint, floors etc..
Brisas is number 1 but busy lots of people.
Caracol is quiet only 150 rooms and you are given 100% attention. They remember who you are and what you drink in lobby, beach and buffet. Always friendly with smiles and nods. I can see why people come back. We will rebook for next year.

Room Tip: 500 block is quieter as pool is noisy during day and at night they have the shows.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Prague, Hlavni Mesto Praha, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Very good resort for spending holiday in case you are lazy. Definitely it is not place people who likes active holiday. The hotel is full of tasty food, drinks and animation program. It has very nice playa. Unfortunately during night this hotel is very noisy. In case you like to sleep in quiet place ask for room in outside bungalow.

Room Tip: outside! Rooms in the centre are very nosy during night due to animation activities.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My first impression was NOT good. We got there around 9:15pm and just wanted to get our bags to our room. They told us to go eat first, as the buffet closed at 9:30 but then they said that at 11 there would be more food, so we went straight to our room to settle in. At 11 when they brought more food out, we went to grab a sandwich and the girl literally grabbed a sandwich out of my boyfriend's hand and covered the rest and said it was only for the bus that arrived after us around 10:00pm. We never did get to eat anything the first night after an extremely long day of traveling and were not impressed. We went to complain to the front desk about the woman because she was SO rude and she saw us so she came over and through a sandwich down in front of my boyfriend and gave him attitude, of course he didn't eat that sandwich.

The rooms were so hard to find in the dark especially on the first night. We paid a worker to help us find our room and then the next day it got a little easier but it was still confusing to find your rooms because of the weird layout and alcohol and darkness do not help!!

The rooms were really nice, there's a little sitting room when you first walk in and then another door to your bedroom and bathroom. We went with a group of 8 so it was nice to just have people sit in the sitting room when they came to your room while you were changing or whatever.

The workers on this resort were AMAZING. So extremely friendly and they put on great shows. They have little competitions during the day by the pool and if you participate in those, they'll never forget your name! They give people little nicknames, it's fun. They called my boyfriend "Magic Mike" for the whole week. They treat you like friends and it actually was sad to leave them.

The pool was amazing! We spent a good majority of our time in the pool and at the swim-up bar. I never burn but I really got burnt the first day there at the swim-up bar because it was SO hot but you don't realize it because you're swimming. I didn't think I needed sunscreen because I rarely burn, I definitely regretted that and I ended up avoiding the sun for the rest of the week because my burn hurt so bad on my shoulders I had a hard time sleeping. Wear sunscreen!!

The food was actually so good! I mean I didn't like EVERYTHING that I tried but they make awesome omelettes for breakfast, the beach bar has really good fish and chips and hamburgers, and then the pasta bar has some delicious pasta for dinner. The only complaint I have is that I tended to eat the same things everyday because I really liked them, so they ended up getting boring in the end. I don't understand all these reviews about the bad food..

The beach wasn't my favourite.. there is so much coral you can't even walk on the beach without hurting your feet. My legs also got eaten alive on the beach, I'm assuming by the sand fleas. I went to the beach on April 25th and today (May 2nd) I still have the bites on my legs and they are still itchy. They were HUGE bites the day after I got them, they looked like giant welts and they even bruised, it was not nice.

The maids are super nice! We brought two of them a hamburger and fries once because they were hungry, they were so appreciative and they definitely remembered it!

My boyfriend went deep sea fishing for 65CUC and he said it was worth every penny. They give you beer on the boat so he came back drunk. He caught a 20lb barracuda and it was the highlight of his trip.

We went horse back riding for 10CUC each. It was an hour and we went through town and then along the beach. Our guide Roberto was amazing, he's so nice. None of the 4 of us brought any money on the excursion with us so he stopped at the bar and bought us each a beer and we paid him back at the resort. I was nervous being on a horse for the first time and he handed me and beer and now we're all horseback riding with one hand on the reins and the other on a beer lol it was very different!

We went on a little trolley ride through the town and to visit the school. It was 10CUC each and it was 2 hours. I would say it was worth the money, it was a good experience. The trolley also stops at a couple little souvenir shops and a little restaurant / bar for you to get a beer if you want.

I was surprised with the amount of people who could speak English on the resort, it made life a lot easier! There are no clocks anywhere so if you want to know the time you either need a watch or your own clock or you have to call front desk. I wish I had brought an alarm clock or something!

THE WORST PART OF THIS VACATION was the lack of toilet paper!!! When you're drunk and you go pee and forget to check if there's toilet paper first, chances are there isn't any! I went several, several times to the washroom and found no toilet paper. There was always toilet paper in the bedrooms but not in all the lobby and pool washrooms. We also went to the two discos off the resort and if you want to use the washroom at one you have to pay them and at the other you have to pay for your toilet paper, not fun! But they are both close to the resort so I ended up just going back to the resort (only to find no toilet paper in the lobby washroom). We brought our own toilet paper but we barely ever brought it out with us so it didn't do us much good!

I would suggest drinking a lot of water throughout the day with your alcoholic drinks!! I was sick every single day and sometimes it was a hangover but a lot of the time it was because I was just exhausted and dehydrated because it is so hot!

Overall, we had an excellent time! I would definitely go back to this resort in a heartbeat. We met people who were there for their 30th time! The people who work there really make it fun and I love the size of the resort, you could walk wherever you wanted to go and you never had a hard time finding your friends. It was an hour and a half to two hour ride to the resort from the airport and from the resort to the airport but it has a bathroom and you can bring alcohol on lol.

Room Tip: I took the first room they gave me and had absolutely no problem with it!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

April 17-24, 2013

We booked our trip through RedTagVacations.com and were surprised by our stop in Varadero prior to arriving the the Camaguey Airport. Small airport (as is the custom in Cuba) and were in and out in a flash.

Transfer from the airport to the Cacaracol took about 1.5 hrs on a bumpy road. Check-in at the hotel was good and easy (but we did transfer rooms as the first on they offered was on the ground floor and vacationers could peer in quite easily). Once settled in the upper room (212) we had a slight view of the ocean and were right next to the Beach restaurant/bar which was great as they had coffee there starting at 10am.

Food? Well it was as good as I've had in my travels in Cuba, nothing specially positive or negative, but after day 5..groundhog day set in.

Beach? Not as powdery as in Cayo Cocco/Guillermo or Playa's PilarPescero/Esmerelda/varadero..a little more coral, and there was allot of sea grass all over. It wasn't an issue but was not as turquoise as I would have liked.

Entertainment? Beach animation/dance team I've seen to date. High energy, engaging and very friendly. The nightly shows were great!

Excursions? We did 3.

1st - a catamaran to the reef to snorkel, then Playa Bonita (as white and turquoise as expected) worth it!
2nd - Historical tour of Camaguey..good but could have done without the tour of the Rum factory (10 people and camera's not allowed) or the tour of the Revolutionary Park (boring). We did stop at a local pottery maker (good) and had some free time to explore the city (but 1hr is not enough time to appreciate the Spanish influenced architecture).
3rd - Horse and Buggy ride to Playa Cocco in La Boca. Well worth the 10 CUC's. Driver stuck around the entire time we were at the beach. Snorkeling is a must (bring your gear) and the restaurant had a lobster lunch that needs to be reserved in advance (so the get the lobster fresh that morning).

Disco's? There are two "entertainment areas" right out in front of the resort one on the left and on on the right. This is where the Locals and vacationers mingle. Was fanastic and very safe.

Beach Party? On Staurday nights the beach is tranformed into a disco and everyone is encouraged to wear white. Music pumps pretty loudly and once again its a great place to meet other vacationers from all resorts as well as the Cuban Locals...danced like a mad man!

Overall a great spot to hang for a day or two, but you will need to get out off the resort to really appreciate where you are.

Room Tip: Ask for a second level away from the Bar Pool
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Wasaga Beach, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

We booked this trip last minute...just wanted to get away. We booked because of the great price...we loved it! Sure not everything is perfect..but leaving the cold and snow in Canada...it was still a little piece of heaven..the people are beautiful..the staff always hospitable...the beach..the atmosphere..the entertainment A+..the pool..the discos...the locals..very safe..Roberto on the beach took us for a horse and buggy ride to Coco Bch...pink flamingos and Lobster dinner...fabulous..a little piece of history we should all witness. Love the smaller atmosphere. Will definetley return and have more fun, relaxation and sunshine!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Club Amigo Caracol? Share your experiences!