“Why didn't we find this wonderful place sooner!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gran Club Santa Lucia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Santa Lucia
Gran Club Santa Lucia
You added Gran Club Santa Lucia to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave. Turistica Tararaco | Playa Santa Lucia, Playa Santa Lucia 74250, Cuba   |
Ile Des Chenes, Manitoba
“Why didn't we find this wonderful place sooner!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

We recently went to Gran Club with our girls aged 8 & 9 . Having travelled before, we're usually met with the usual " I'm bored". Let me tell you...there is nothing boring here.
The entertainment was absolutely the BEST!! Crowd participation was really fun and amusing . Hats off to Tico and his crew.. Pluto, Miguel, Junior and all the rest. Especially Froggy!!! Now this little frog really is a prince at heart! The whole dance crew..Beautiful.Xenece and all the rest I forgot really make an exceptional team and had us in stitches the whole time we were there.
Afternoons were spent by the pool watching our kids have fun and enjoying the darts, ring toss and other crowd pleasers. There is alot to be said by this team...they really go out of there way to have fun and make everyone happy.I never seen so many people laugh and really enjoy themselves.
Alot of people complain about foreign food...And yes, some people do get sick but don't blame it all on the resort.We found everything to be great. breakfasts ( when we made it to the buffet) consisted for ourselves of toast, eggs, fresh fruit and juices and some fine pastry. It doesn't get better than that. If you're unsure...pick something you like and feel safe with. There were never any long buffet lineups nor shortage of tables and the dinner had something great everynight. Afternoon snacks were even served by the pool and we happened to luck out and had the most wonderful pig roast and homemade soup I've evr had. Pizza, smokies, always something different to tide you away until dinner. The hamburger hut by the beach was equally great. many a day this was our breakfast ( but hey, we're on Holidays!!) I personally think that if people find compliant here..head off to a RIU in Mexico and go eat your roast beef!! The lobster at the seafood dinner was fantastic and soo much: really worth the money although I personally didn't care for the pasta paella. My tastebuds only.
The bars were NOT understaffed as stated before and there really is no favortism. Stand in line, betcha they serve faster than your local bar.Go visit Manuel at the pool bar, always happy and smiling as were ALL the staff. I think that maybe this bar could stay open a little longer as the only drinks to get after midnight were at the disco and some of the people getting off the bus seemed a little upset. Maybe this will be different when you go there.
Everyone at this resort takes the time to say Hola and treat you well. The sand is beautiful and the water was warm with many a starfish to be found. a greta place for snorkeling.There was a breeze but at a place this Hot you really enjot it. The grounds were coming along and it was just an overall great place to be.
The rooms were fine and always clean. If people want to complain about pillows, bring your own. I might suggest to bring bug spray if you really have a phobia because yes, there were a couple flies and mosquitoes but not enough to ruin our time. The toilet paper was always ample and there was never a shortage of anything.
When you travel to Cuba, have an open mind and have fun. Be curtious and respectful. You don't talk down to people in your home town do you or litter for that matter ? These people work extremely hard for US. I think we should be happy that we're allowed to come to their beautiful island.
Our most heartwarming and sad time was when some of our new friends came to the lobby to say goodbye as they said they would. Sad times were had but us Winnipeggers walked away with more happy memories than you can imagine.
Any regrets? Yep. That we didn't find this place sooner and that there are no more direct flights this year from here.
We're definately going back and telling our friends who will tell their friends and so on and so on..Until then...I'll just go look at my photo albulm and think of the beauty we found at this resort!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Polish first
high bluff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2009

This was my wife and my first trip anywhere,and we couldnt ask for any nicer place to start traveling.The Sunwing staff was very helpful both in the air and also in the hotel.the service was great and entertainment was unbelievable.we met some very nice people from Manitoba, Montreal and Holland and some very ignorant people from Quebec.i think the cubans did need to know that Quebec is NOT a seperate country.The disco that is just outside the resort was loud and did disturb alot of visitors lost sleep over the noise.the food is good but not enough variety. the serving staff was great in all bars and restaurants. i recomend the 55 peso snorkling,and the 25 peso lobster dinner at coco beach best i ever had.the weather was greatsunny all week we were there,temps between 29 and 36 celcius.i would like to say hi to all our new friends that we made here. Thank you Gran Club Santa Lucia you made my first trip great.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Gimli, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2009

Our family really enjoyed our vacation at the Gran Club. We stayed in the superior room which were well maintained by the maid service. Very roomy for a family of 5. Large beach area which was very nice, safe to swim and snorkel, with nice sand. Food was satisfactory but the selection was limited. Italian a la carte restauraunt was excellent.

Pool area was nice, kids enjoyed and swam lots and the recreation staff were very active. Disappointed that you could only get alcoholic slush drinks at the lobby bar, pool bar had only one blender( and it was broken for the 2 weeks we were there).

The entertainment staff like Pluto, Teko, Junior, Bon Bon, Froggy and the clown(do not remember his name) made our 2 weeks very enjoyable. Our kids really liked Junior, he made sure they always had fun. They even helped Junior fold pool towels. The evening shows were very good, with the kids show at 9pm, and the adults show at 10pm.

Shopping is very limited. The bus ride to the airport was approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes. The only reason we would go back is because of the great entertainment staff we met.

Thanks Pluto, Junior, Teko and Bon Bon for making our family vacation wonderful.

Mladen, Kara, Haley, Nathan and Olivia

Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

We stayed 2 weeks ending March 6, 2009. We have been to Cuba several times, but this was our first time to Santa Lucia as we wanted to try it. It's an isolated area with 4 main hotels, but Gran Club appears to be the best choice. The Oasis Brisas had a lot going for it too, but people said they found it too busy. After a 7 hr delayed Sunwing flight we arrived in Camaguey after dark, and after the 90 minute bus ride to the hotel we were placed in a Standard room, and not in the Junior Suite we had booked. This gave us a chance to experience the dreaded nightclub noise until about 3 or 4 a.m. The Standard room was clean and comfortable, but no balcony. The next day we were moved to a Junior Suite close to the beach, and a very nice location on the second floor with a good sized balcony.
The Junior Suite was very comfortable, and I would definitely recommend to pay the extra and stay on that side. After the evening show ended at 11:00 p.m., it was very quiet.
Clean, fresh towels every day, hot water in the shower, various bed towel sculptures every day. Room safe was newer looking and secure. There was a fridge in the room, but you have to buy a water bottle and refill it at the buffet or bars as often as you want. The pool area very nice, but unless you are taking part in the entertainment it was quite noisy. We spend a lot of time at the beach and it was quieter.
Food - the buffet was not as plentifully supplied as we expected it would be, however we always found enough to eat. If you like fish, rice, vegetables, pasta, pizza, ice cream, you will be happy. If you go to the buffet at any opening there is a crowd of people (mostly older people) waiting and they are pretty aggressively attacking the buffet, so we learned to come after the rush. The food was often cold or barely warm, so we got used to watching for what was just being brought out and tried that. Red or white wine is served at the buffet and a la carte restaurants, but we found the red was a bit better. The beach snack bar was OK, hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, some buffet food including fish most days. Many people, ourselves included got a queasy stomach after several days, causing us to limit our food intake to bananas, rice, pasta, fish, bread for a few days. Our stomachs didn't really get all until we came home. I attribute this to abnormal bacteria in the food that we were eating. We used Pepto-Bismol mainly, and a very occasional Immodium or Gravol.
The coffee bar by the pool was great, loved the cappucino. The Lobby bar served good Pina Coladas, Iced Cappucino, Spanish Coffee. At the other bars we mainly tried to beer and water. The beach bar had very limited drink options.
The beach was lovely, but some people didn't like the amount of sea grass close to the shore, however this didn't bother us. The reef was very far off shore and it was quite windy the whole time we were there, so we never swam out to it. We snorkeled on the Coral Tour and Playa Bonita Tour, and the reef was very interesting with lots of fish. Divers would love this place! Wind surfers also loved the place, there were several people taking advantage of the wind.
There were a few beach vendors, we noticed they had to pay cash to the security guard. As well, prostitutes in and outside the hotel. Once ignored, they did not pose a problem to us. The openness of this is new to us in Cuba, but does exist in many other places one would go in the Caribbean. A few crafts were for sale daily right in the hotel.
Hotel cats abound, so cat lovers will be busy feeding them.
The staff at the resort are a bit of a inconsistency. Some are very nice and helpful, while others will ignore you completely. There is a lot of favoritism for the return guests, which is a turn off to new-comers who are overtly being treated lesser. They should watch out for that, because being completely ignored in a buffet or a la carte restaurant can be more memorable than the good. Ignoring a patron like that in Canada would surely result in employee discipline or firing.
There is much more I could say, but let me just say this: It's a nice, clean hotel, not too big, with good value (we spent considerably less than we would have spent elsewhere), beautiful pool, beach and reef. It is not perfect, nor is it always quiet, but a lot of people thought it was a lot of fun. I would recommend it for people who are not too fussy about the food, want a cheap vacation, love sitting at the beach or the pool, and want to see another part of Cuba.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Manitoba
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

A Friend and myself stayed at Gran Club from March 6th- 12th. Compared to my other trip to another country a few years ago, this trip was 100% better. When are bus arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a wonderful band, friendly people and amazing punch :D
Hotel check-in was the fastest service iv ever had in my life. I was expecting 1 big hotel with several rooms, instead they look like a bunch of little apartments. The rooms were perfect, a little small but good for 2, there not that far from the pool and beach. The pool is really nice but make sure you reserve your chairs early in the morning cause they sure go fast. The swim up bar is great and fast service. i recommend that as soon as you get there you book you 3 a la cart dinners. The buffet isn't the worst, but day after day of the same food gets really bad. The beach is gorgeous, prettiest blue water ever. there is some seaweed along the shore but a tracker cleans it daily. theres a snack bar and a bar down by the beach too. Make sure you got to the pool at 3pm everyday, the entertainers put on really fun activities. Spanish lesson, ring toss, salsa dancing were all my favorites. The evening show (different every night) was the highlight of my trip the entertainers and dancers are amazing people and they make you feel like your at home. the shows are so funny and entertaining. pretty much all staff at gran club are really nice people. They really make you feel like your at home, they treat you with great respect, whenever you need something the staff are there to help you. Are rooms door lock battery broke late one night, we couldn't get into are room. within minutes the staff helped transfer us to another room. special thanks to the maintenance guy that wears the orange shirt. last but not least is the disco which is open till 2am. The disco is so much fun for people all ages. The disco plays a lot of new songs and a lot of salsa and stuff like that. good times at the disco. Lots of amazing, talented, smart people stood out to us on this trip. i would like to say thank you and hello to.... Bonbon, Micheal, Pecos, Blondie, Ray,Carlos, Valentine, Judy and Judy. sorry i cant remember all names. Frog y stood out to me the most. He was so so nice, amazing, talented, hilarious and a all about great guy. you are all amazing people and I can't wait to see you again. This hotel is amazing and I recommend it to all people. I can't wait to return in July. miss you all :D

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
ONTARIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

We where a small group of 6 = husband and wife and son>15yrs, friend>15yrs, 2 daughter's > 12yrs & 11yrs. We went with a group of 78 people all from around the same area, we all had a great time my kids took to a couple of the workers there Froggie and Felix. This was our first trip out of the country and I had a great time. We are already talking about going back. I wish they would speak more english than french but maybe it was because we went out of motreal that they thought we where all french? (not) The two older boy's had fun playing soccer with the staff and other guests they played almost every night. the girls had fun swimming in the pool or at the ocean, and there was always enough seating to be close enough to watch them. The only thing is on one of the day's at the beach there was a couple of older ladies on the beach that went topless, I dont think this should be aloud on the same beach as young kid's or teenager's they should have a private area on the beach to go.

Toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

Sorry that this review isnt recent but I stayed at this resort in 2007 for 2 weeks
I had an amazing time and met so many great people I didn't see the other resorts in Santa Lucia but this seems to be the best one.

Room: Started in the rooms that were on the other side of the reception. Rooms were good but had no balconys (no big deal). Decided that we wanted to upgrade for the 20 bucks a day or whatever it was so we got moved to a room between the beach and the pool. Very well worth it but the other rooms were fine too, its just up to you.
However, a couple days after we upgraded they ended up closing the other side of the resort so everyone was relocated to the "better" rooms anyways. Therefore we told the desk and then they decided to wave our upgrade fees. Anyways bottom line any room there is good, its just up to you!

Beach: We are not huge beach people but still like swimming in the ocean. We only swam in there twice beacue it is not the clear water and sand you expect. We knew this going to the hotel so we didnt really mind. This area is known for diving so all the divers love it.

Pool : Good size, great little kids area. This hotel was very empty when I went so the pool never had anybody in it. Perfect for me!

Food was great from what I can remember!

Only bad thing i have to say about this hotel is that the mosquitoes were terrible. They even fumigated once while we were there but they were sitll terrible. This of course was only at night so its nature... deal with it.

I do see what some reviews say about the prostituion and stuff. But I dont think this has anything to do with safety. Your kids will be extremly safe at this resort. Sure there maybe a few old men with some young cuban girls but its completly harmless and had nothing to do with me. If this keeps some guests to keep coming back to the hotel then I see why the hotel doesnt mind it. I also see why some people would be completly disturbed by seeing this so, it is what it is.
I met so many great people at this resort and would definitly go back. We went to the outdoor "club" a little walk away and it was ok.
I also highly recommend the show next door. The staff will take you there and you will have a great time. Its a show and then dancing afterwards and its only a couple pesos to get in.
I also took the bikes out everyday and went for a bike ride. It was great to meet some local people and they are all super nice and it is very safe so do not worry.

Also take a buggie ride to the local beach. It was so neat being the only Canadians on the cuban beach and everyone smiles at you. It was so fun and I got to meet local people and try to communicate with them

Great resort and it was good to experience a different part of Cuba rather than the usual Varadero

• Stayed April 2007

Been to Gran Club Santa Lucia? Share your experiences!