“Small Charming Island” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cambridgeshire
“Small Charming Island”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I have just returned from a 2 week stay on Angaga (Last week in April first week in May) so here is my review.

Travel
We booked the trip through Maldivesdirect.uk.com and I found Jim to be extremely well informed about the Island we booked, I can thoroughly recommend his service as he has detailed knowledge on the Islands which he deals with and can let you know which ones will be most suited to the type of experience you are after. Our requirements were for a small simple island with a good house reef and after talking to Jim, there were no surprises with what we got on Angaga. We flew BA and upgraded to premium economy to get a few extra inches for my 6ft frame. The flight was fine and the video on demand entertainment system kept us amused for most of the journey.

Accommodation.
We booked a beach bungalow as we prefer to be right on the sand to being in a water bungalow. The room nothing flash but was clean, comfortable and perfectly acceptable. We had room 139 which was on the lagoon side of the island and overlooked the water bungalows and the sun set. There was also a nice breeze on this side of the island which was most welcome in the evenings. All of the beach bungalows are detached and I never heard any noise from adjacent rooms. The beach bungalows are all equipped with a Maldivian swing on the veranda and are allocated two sun loungers and mattresses.

The Island
Angaga is the smallest island we have been to so far, you can walk around the shoreline in just under 11 minutes. (I know because I timed it one day). It has a nice beach which goes all around the island and is not spoiled by sand bags or sea defences. The house reef is very good, this was our main concern, we have been to Filitheyo and Vilamendoo and I would rate the reef as better than Filitheyo and nearly as good as Vilamendoo. I think perhaps Vilamendoo may have had slightly more fish but then again we saw far more sharks here than there. We also saw eagle rays, turtles and on one very lucky day we were joined on our snorkel by a manta ray although I believe this would be rare.
Access to the drop off side of the reef was easy and even on choppy days there was no problem finding access to a section of reef on whichever was the leeward side which was calmer.

Food/Bars
Food was reasonable, I would definitely rate it in third place of the three islands that I’ve mentioned but the choice here was a little more limited. I think it is important not to get ‘Buffet Fever’ and pile everything on your plate each meal as you are going to get a bit bored with it by the end of the holiday. I made a point of eating normally and sticking to normal food selections so that I gave myself the chance of a different meal the next time. Having said that, there was no problem with the quality of the food.

There are two bars on the island, one near the restaurant and the sundown bar at the end of the water bungalows. I much preferred the sundown bar after dinner in the evenings because it was much cooler and always seemed to have a nice breeze coming off the sea. It was also very quiet in the evenings with most people going to the main bar. One night we were the only couple in the sundown bar, sitting out under the stars drinking cocktails and the barman even plugged my ipod into the sound system so that we could have our own music!

On the subject of cocktails, this was a real bonus. This is the first island we have been to where the entire list of 75+ cocktails were available free to all inclusive guests. Some of these cocktails are $10 a time so with a cocktail before dinner and two or three after the all inclusive package certainly gave us good value.

Excursions
The only excursion we tried was the snorkelling trip to pineapple island, we went because it was part of our AI package. In our opinion this was not worth bothering as the reef was no better and in terms of fish, considerable poorer than the house reef. If you are on AI then take the trip if you fancy a boat ride and a different snorkelling location. If you have to pay for the trip then I really wouldn’t bother.

In conclusion, If you want 5 star luxury and Michelin star cuisine then this probably isn’t the island for you. However if you want small island charm and simplicity with nice beaches, a good easily accessible house reef and quiet drinks under the stars, then Angaga could be for you. We loved it and probably would return if it weren’t for our policy of trying a new island each time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2010

We stayed in Angaga in late August early Sep. This was our second trip to Maldives. Last year we visited Reethi Beach so I could not help but compare the islands….

The flight with Thomson was surprisingly good. I really liked the seating plan of 2-4-2. It allows couples to seat next to each other rather then more awkward 3-4-3. I would definitely choose a direct flight with charter airlines over scheduled indirect. My only complaint about the journey to the island is the wait at sea plain terminal – after the ten hour flight the last thing you want is to wait for 2 hours for the next sea plain!!!

The island itself is very pretty and clean. When we first arrived we thought we were the only couple on the whole island!!! It was soo quite….Lovely.

The things I really liked about Angaga: Staff – they very always extremely helpful, polite and friendly. Could not wish for more.

Rooms – upon our arrival we were given a room 132 on the lagoon side. It was very big, with huge walk in wardrobe that had his and her side; Rooms are very clean. However, there was a very nosy bird that used to seat in the palm tree just above our room and scream all night long. I know this sounds pathetic and I am the first who usually laughs at people that complaint about ‘’local residents’’ but I just could not sleep!!! So after a few nights I asked to be transferred to the opposite side of the island (hopefully far enough..). Again the staff gave us the list of vacant rooms that we could choose from and we had room 106. The room itself was slightly smaller but I preferred its location. It was close to the beach bar and that side of the island had no wind when we were there.

The beach – it is very good almost all around the island. There are only a few rooms ( right next after water villas) that have very stip beach with little sand.

The cocktail manue- impressive! There were over 70 cocktails that you could have as part of all inclusive. I tried hard to try every single one of them but stil have to leave a few untested after a two week stay.

The spa – although the location of the spa is not as good as it was in Reethi, the quality and pricing of the treatments are excellent. You can get 20% discount if you have your treatment in the morning and an average 1 hour treatment costs around $65

The things that I did not like that much: Food – the quality and variety of food is not that great. It is basically the same manue for evening meals every night, the breakfast is OK but the lack of fresh fruit was disappointing; lunch - I think they reheat what was left from last night dinner. Don’t get me wrong I never went hungry or had an upset tummy, it just was very basic and boring. On the positive side they had good quality stake every night!

Reef – now when I was choosing my next island this was one of the top priorities!!! From all the research I have done Angaga was meant to have one of the better reefs. However, in my personal opinion, I enjoyed Reethi’s reef more!!! Don’t get me wrong if by ‘’reef’’ you mean the amount of coral then Angaga wins hands down, however it did not have the same variety or amount of fish And there are pipes leading out of the island that are all around the reef which again I never noticed at Reethi.

Diving school/snorkelling trips – this is my biggest disappointment. Diving was very expensive and the variety of dive sights was not great. Some of it might have been due to the weather as we had quite a bit of rain while staying there but even then there was not much choice. Their pricing was very steep - for example they were charging extra $100 for dive sights were you had a chance to see whale sharks. I think this is a bit cheeky….again just personal opinion. However, what I can not understand is there lack of snorkelling trips i.e. none ( if you do not take into account a trip to unihabitent island). From my research ,South Ari atoll was meant to have one of the best dive/snorkelling in Maldives and I was really looking forward to going out one few trip but the island just does not have any trips for non-divers!!!! In my opinion they are missing out on what could be Angaga’s best assets – it ‘s location in Ari Atoll!

The all important question: how was the weather? Well we did have a few days of rain but overall it was pretty good and yes I would go back in August/ September again.

Overall, I really enjoyed my holiday. Would I go back to this island? No if I had to pay for it. I think there are better islands in the same price bracket.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

This was our first time to the Maldives - after speaking to friends who recommended a travel agent to us (http://qholidays.co.uk/destination_hotel.asp?dID=2&hID=7)
I've been to Kenya lots of times and absolutely love the beaches there, but the experience here was just on another level.
We were in the bungalows - got to do a bit of diving, but no water skiing/sailing; we were quite happy to swim.
When diving we saw a few turtles - graceful creatures.
The rooms were clean and basic, and above all the staff really went out of their way to make us feel happy.
I would recommend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
herts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

This is the second time we have been to the Maldives ( the first at Reethi). We had a super week at Angaga. Our flight was with Ski Lankan airlines, they were fine and we arrived 3/4 of a hour early and were whisked through Male to the seaplane department only to have a 2hour delay. Shame!
Angaga island is really pretty it doesnt seem to have any erosion at all, you can walk all the way around. The rooms are a bit basic but comfortable although, I loved the walk in wardrobe it was big enough to store your suitcases in. The food was buffet style plenty of choice even for fussy eaters. The snorkling was fantastic lots of coral in super condition. Saw moray eels , trigger fish , small ray etc however missed the local turtle( lots of guest did see it) The lagoon was quite deep and sandy, great for swimming.We took a canoe out for one hour that was great fun. The beach was like talc hardly any broken coral on it ( a real, no shoes beach).The spa was great .The staff were very friendly but not always very informative.This island is a very laid back, you are left very much to find things out for yourself, which is great. But I was glad that I had been to the Maldives before because I felt this could have been a disadvantage if it had been the first time you had snorkled, we were not told where the entry and exit points were or about the currents, there is so much to see underwater I feel they should promote this.
I know some will say how does Angaga v Reethi, well both are great, Angaga has the best beach and coral, Reethi more fish swiming about, the food and rooms about the same and the staff both friendly; but Reethi staff are very keen to help you get the most from your holiday and tell you all about snorkling (where to go and what to watch out for like currents, tides).
Angaga is beautiful small rustic island, I would go back again but I have a few more to try out first.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2010

The good (or even excellent in certain cases) :-

- The island itself, which is small (300 x 150 m.) and entirely surrounded by a large, white, beautiful beach. There is actually no part of the island with no/insufficient sand. This also implies that there is not really a "bad" location on the island. There are better and worse bungalows of course but all of them have a more than sufficient share of beach;

- Peace and relaxation: if this is what one is looking for, angaga is an ideal choice. The island is very quiet and always feels half empty despite the limited size;

- Corals: excluding a devastated area near the water villas, corals are extremely well preserved and beautiful. Snorkeling is quite good as well (but see also comment in "Bad" below ). High points were three meetings with a large barracuda hovering just outside the reef, two long swims "hand in hand" with a turtle; various reef sharks and eagle rays.

- The hanging bed outside each bungalow

- Food: as usual it gets a bit boring after one week - people were quite excited to see burgers and french fries on friday! - but all in all the quality is good. Occasionally very good. (standard of lunch and dinner is better than breakfast)

The bad (very tollerable) :-

- Funny enough, there were relatively few fish in the water, with the exception of a 50 m. stretch between the first bungalow and the beach bar.

- Waterplanes. There was a lot of traffic with people coming and going - and consequently planes landing and departing - several times a day on almost every day .

- There were lots of ants everywhere. We did not particularly care, but there are certainly too many ants nests (small ants) on the island and one can easily spot in the sand paths the holes marking the entrances. Big ants seems to prefer bathrooms and are found there in force, particularly in the evenings. We only saw a baby cockroach in our room but another couple told us that they had killed two large specimens in their bathroom. I am not suggesting here that angaga has a serious problem with insects, not at all, but still the management could pay more attention to this point. For instance the island was not smooked while we there.

The ugly
- A grey rat was running on the wodden structure of the restaurant while we were having breakfast early (5.30) on the last day just before leaving. As they say, you are never more than ten meters away from a rat. This is probably as true in the Maldives as it is back home, however we are happier without being given too much supporting evidence.

Overall we greatly enjoyed our holiday in Angaga and would be very happy to go back there (if we didn't have many other island to visit) .

Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

Came back from Angaga where we spent last 2 weeks of January.
As most wrote it’s indeed very beautiful island. Small, pure, cosy, with crystal-clear water.
Very friendly staff and everyone well enough speak English, even the gardener
A magnificent food: simply, home-style prepared food without spices. Spices stand separately and who wishes, that uses them.
We stayed in water bungalows. There is a lot of light in a room (because of glasses in all height). The magnificent kind, the stairway into a deep lagoon.
Only some lacks. First, the conditioner did not cope with number cooling. We two times caused repairmen, but they could make nothing. And secondly, absence of privacy on a sun deck. It is completely looked through from the next numbers and even from outside an external path.
But this all trifles. Everything was fine, although we were stung by jellyfishes.
We’ve met them in the seawater: small body (1-2 sm in diameter) and long tentacls. The staff has told they are very dangerous. There was the announcement warning about jellyfishes in a monsoon. We saw some other couples which have been stung by jellyfishes and have been compelled as well as we to go to hospital. We hadn’t to swim and sunbathe last 3 days.
We’d like to return in the summer. Underwater fishes was a little during our stay. As a result there were a lot of jellyfishes. Hope there will be a lot of fishes in the summer on Angaga and we won’t meet those venomous creatures

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, S Yorks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Back from a brilliant 2 weeks on Angaga.
We went with Thomsons, good comfortable flights and although she was based on Sun Island our rep Laura was very helpfull when Mrs H needed to get hold of some Antihistamine cream. Our first seaplane flight got the holiday off to a great start.

We spent our 1st night in a water villa (overbooking of beach bungalows seems common), much preferred the beach bungalow.

Angaga is a beautiful little island with great beaches. Amazingly for such a small island it still had 2 distinct sides to it as far as the weather was concerned. We were in room 110 on the reef side and had quite a breeze throughout our stay whilst the lagoon side was still, calm and much hotter. Our preference was the bit of breeze. The island changed shape quite dramatically while we were there, sand from the reef side moved round to in front of the restaurant with about 5ft of the volley ball court disappearing. We were told that it all moves back again on change of monsoon seasons.

The sea life was amazing. While snorkling we saw sharks, turtles and an incredible variety of fish. The currents were quite strong especially during the 1st week of our stay (full moon & high tides). Had 2 attempts at the discover scuba, had to abandon the 1st due to the current. A few baby moray eels swam in the shallow water with one sinking its teeth into a young girls finger. We also had a shoal of kamikazi flying fish decide to leap out onto the beach, kept a few of us busy trying to get them back in the water and the heron got an easy feed.

Loved the food, with plenty of choice. We were AI and even with 3 meals a day we never got bored with what was on offer. Great service from our waiter Hussein. AI was a good option for us as we tried quite a few of the cocktails available.

We enjoyed the evening fishing and did the trip to the local island (how the other half live). The spa was very nice with a good range of treatments available.

The evenings were very quiet, maybe a couple of nights with some low key entertainment wouldn't go amiss.

The clientele is still mainly German, with a scattering of Brits, Italians and a few visitors from the far east.

We really loved our stay and would strongly recommend Angaga.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Angaga Island Resort? Share your experiences!