“The obvious choice if you are shooting at Candover” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Woolpack Inn

You added The Woolpack Inn to your Saves list
The Woolpack Inn
4.0 of 5 Inn   |   Totford Road | Nr Northington, Northington SO24 9TJ, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Northington B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bridport, United Kingdom
“The obvious choice if you are shooting at Candover”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I stayed at this pub/hotel before attending a shoot at the Candover Estate. I thought it was excellent. The business is owned by the shoot owner and caters particularly for shooting enthusiasts.

My room was one of a converted stable block. The room was large enough and the bathroom was equipped to a very high standard (see photos).

The staff were friendly and helpful. The menu was varied and interesting and the standard of cooking was exceptionally high. I enjoyed an excellent steak which was brought to my room.

The only reason I am unable to give a higher rating for 'sleep quality' is that the guest in the adjoining room probably fell asleep with the television on - I could hear it playing all night long. In the end I had to put on my shooting 'hearing defenders' in order to get some sleep. I am afraid this is something I have been guilty of myself on previous occasions, so I didn't make a fuss.

This hotel is ideally placed for visitors to the shooting estate and I found the facilities to be of a very high quality. I would recommend anyone having business in the area to stay at 'The Woolpack'.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have a gun safe - if you are going to travel with firearms make sure you check bef...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Totana, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Cannot comment on The Woolpack as a place to stay, but we did have a very good family lunch!

This is a very nice country pub, which serves up good quality food and wine at a reasonable price. The setting is fantastic, being in the middle of the Hampshire countryside, and we would recommend it as somewhere good to eat whilst on a day out in the country.

We were a party of six, and between us chose four different starters and five different mains. The menu is varied and there is a daily specials board, so there was plenty of choice. All the meals were well presented and well cooked, and there were no complaints! The portion sizes are generous and only a couple of our party opted for deserts, which were also excellent.

The wine list is comprehensive, and reasonably priced, and there is a selection of beers on tap.

All in all a good lunch experience, and one that we would repeat without question.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We have stayed here on several occasions and have enjoyed it immensely each time. One of those pubs that is perfect both in winter, when it is cosy with a gorgeous log fire and fabulous on a summers evening when you can appreciate the beautiful Hampshire countryside.
It is convenient for Winchester ( a lovely city to visit) and Basingstoke and there is a warm welcome from the staff who seem to hit the right balance of friendly and efficient.
The rooms are very comfortable with fluffy duvets and quality bed linen. There are two price levels for the bedrooms. All seem to be of the same high standard but the higher priced are bigger. Our favourite is the Golden Pheasant which has a lovely bathroom and also an additional study/child's bedroom.
The bar is charming and seem to attract a good balance of locals and visitors staying overnight. We have always had excellent meals in the restaurant. There are seasonal specials on the menu, fresh fish , and game in the winter as well as the best steak pie I have ever tasted. Breakfasts have been consistently excellent.
On of those places it's great to recommend but worried that once it is discovered by too many we may never get a booking. A real gem!

Room Tip: The Golden Pheasant is a lovely room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

If you want peace and quiet this is definitely the place for you - it is in the exact geographical centre of nowhere (but an easy 25 minute drive from Basingstoke).

The Inn seems to cater for shooting parties - it is the only hotel I have ever stayed in which had a gun safe in the bedroom. I understand that you are also allowed to have your labrador in your bedroom.

The rooms themselves appear to have been recently refurbished - and to a high standard - and the price of staying there was very reasonable.

What let the side down (for me) was the food. I was very interested to read other reviews which praise the food. Perhaps I was just unlucky. I had dinner in the bar and the first course was soup with "home made bread" which was so hard that I genuinely could not break it with my teeth! The rest of the meal was unremarkable.

At breakfast the following morning I asked for poached eggs and they were horribly undercooked. It seemed strange to me that an establishment which offered such a diverse menu (almost pretentious in the current, gastro pub mode) should be so hopelessly incompetent in cooking the food. Like I said, perhaps I was particularly unlucky that day.

I would not let the experience put me off staying there again, however. It was good value for money and if served such sub-standard food again I would simply send it back - until they got it right!

The staff were friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: The postcode, in your satnav, will take you right to the door.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hampshire UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

We stayed here very last minute as we had been let down by our original choice of bed and breakfast ..we ended up in the last room available called grouse it was extremely compact..but nicely done and had all you need except milk for the coffee and tea making tray..
The room had a connecting door to the golden pheasant suite next door so we had the noise from the kids staying in that room with their parents..you could hear talking in their sleep that is how bad it was, I think as we wanted to escape our kids for the night it was a shame but we were lucky to get a room that late notice so you can't have it all ways
The food was lovely and the manager looked after us so well as he knew it was our anniversary so we had a lovely evening by the open fire
Lovely open outlook clean but not spacious
Breakfast was superb..very fresh local ingredients
Complaints are really about the lack of consideration from fellow guests who let their kids run up and down the corridor Saturday afternoon and Sunday ..
Just make sure you don't get grouse !!!

• Stayed October 2012
liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Medoum sized country gastro pub, set in fantastic hants countryside. Converted stables at the back provide very classy and comfortable accomodation, but still retaining the original features such as flint walls.
The pub is an excellent gastro pub that serves proper real ale, wide selection of great wines and the food is second to none.
Friendly staff, great service and an excellent young chef.
Do yourself a favour and drink, eat and/or stay here!

• Stayed July 2012
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2012

My husband and I stayed for one night en route to visit family (or we would have liked to have stayed longer). Unfortunately, we arrived too late for dinner as we had travelled quite a way after leaving work that evening. However, as we walked through the restaurant, I have to say that the food looked lovely. We looked at the menu to see what we had missed and were very disappointed that we hadn't made it in time to dine. We were made to feel very welcome on arrival.

Our bedroom was charming - clean and well furnished. The bathroom was modern and clean.

Breakfast was fantastic. The smoked salmon with the scrambled eggs was the best smoked salmon I have ever had (and I've had quite a lot of it over the years).

All in all, I would thoroughly recommend this place, especially for a quiet romantic weekend.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Woolpack Inn? Share your experiences!