“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Barbecue
Utah
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2014

A tiny little place in Fanning Springs, Fl has some of the best BBQ I have ever had. I tried the pulled pork and the ribs and both were great. Well worth a stop on your way to or from the panhandle. Excellent food and great prices!

• Visited May 2014

Brooksville, Florida
“Great 'Q!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stopped at the BBQ Shack recently, after having heard rave reviews of the place from friends who stop here every chance they get. The place gets an excellent rating from me as well, because it was everything I expected, and then some.

Ribs were PERFECT -- perfectly seasoned, tender and juicy. My husband, who is something of a rib chef himself, proclaimed them so good that he felt a bit discouraged to think that he'd never be able to achieve such tasty ribs in his own cooking. LOL He ordered the half-rack, which is more than adequate unless you have a HUGE appetite or want to take a lot of ribs home. (At that, we had a couple of ribs left over from the half rack, and they were still tasty and moist after microwaving the next day.)

I chose BBQ beef ... good but not necessarily the greatest I'd ever sampled. I'd probably try something else next time out, though I was not at all dissatisfied with my choice. I, too, took some home for a second meal.

Did I mention portions were generous? They are more than generous.

As to the sides, we chose cole slaw -- excellent, not swimming in mayonnaise ... baked beans -- very tasty though not extraordinary ... fried green tomatoes -- would've liked a little "spice" in the batter, but otherwise the batter was light, not at all greasy and tomatoes were crispy tender ... green beans -- fixed the way my momma used to fix 'em, with a little bit of bacon ... fried okra -- the only disappointment of the meal, as okra was tasteless and batter too heavy and dry (dare I suggest that the fried okra might've been from a frozen package?). Oh, and the garlic toast served with our meals was very good, with just the right amount of butter and garlic, not at all soggy.

Atmosphere? Hey, this is a rib shack. The "atmosphere" is just what I want in such a place, with an assortment of curious old signs and some oddly-matched furniture.

Service? Prompt, efficient and cheerful. You order at the counter, then take a seat and food is brought out to you. The sweet tea and cola we ordered were generous servings, so there's no need for servers to constantly run to tables. Food, when served, was hot.

I observed quite a few locals coming for take-out, and a pretty fair number coming to dine in.

All in all, we were delighted with our experience at the BBQ Shack, and though our ramblings do not bring us that way often, we'd definitely go back.

• Visited April 2014
Tallahassee, Florida
“Worth a Try”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Traveling from central Florida to Tallahassee, we have stopped at the BBQ Shack several times, picked up our meals to go and lunched at the state park along the Suwannee River, just a few yards away. Ribs have always been very good, as was the turkey sandwich today. Tables at the park offer some great views of the River. Definitely worth a try.

Saint Pete Beach, Florida
“Travel and Eat Local”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

Fanning Springs on Route 19 has several inviting attractions, from the Suwannee River to one of the best BBQ restaurants we've been to. The BBQ Shack has reasonable prices, great pork sandwiches and meaty ribs plus sides that equal anyone's. from baked beans to cold slaw. Three sauces are available: mustard for you Carolina types, and hot/sweet options for the venturesome and cautious. Don't miss their three berry tart, warm and inviting crust filled with ample berries and a great taste.

• Visited January 2014
Fanning Springs, Florida
“Ribs just not right”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Well the ribs looked great but are tasteless just like when it was Huckleberry's. Have tried these ribs on three trips in 2013. Owned by Deke's Steakhouse which is just as bad. Eateries is this area just have no idea how to cook good tasting food so they fry most everything.

• Visited December 2013