“The perfect beginning to our Philippino adventure” 5 of 5 stars

You added Cove Sands Beach Resort to your Saves list
Cove Sands Beach Resort
2.5 of 5 Ranch   |   Abacaca, Siaton, Negros Oriental 6219, Philippines   |
Copenhagen, Denmark
“The perfect beginning to our Philippino adventure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

My brother and I had a fantastic stay at this small beach resort. The hammocks at the beach are perfect for a chill out, the small local reef was excellent for snorkelling, we saw plenty of sea snakes and dragon fish, the dive master Gary has plenty of experience and with Apo Island near by you have to take the time for diving, the sunsets were beautiful, the food was good and the general atmosphere of the place was relaxed and comfy. The owner Ron is a great character and will make sure you have a great time. After just one day we felt like we were visiting friends!

My only advice is bring a few books (+head torch) and maybe a Frisbee because you don't just stroll into Dumaguete, it is 45min by car. Otherwise this is the place to unwind, Enjoy!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cebu Island, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2011

Monarch Sands is a great little resort on a secluded beach an hour from dumaguete. I stayed at cottage #1 and loved every minute of it. There is a breathtaking coral reef about 200 meters north and I saw lots of fish, crabs, and even a small octopus.

I spent most of my time reading my book in the hammock on the beach or taking walks on the sand. There are beautiful coves near Monarch to explore and look for shells. A couple times I took a motorcycle into town for lunch, cost about 30 pesos. At night I would relax and watch the sunset or play some chess (Ron is a master).

The restaurant is delicious, I recommend the sinigang soup. Also, the potato skins had real sour cream-a rarity in the Philippines.

It isn't a 5 star luxury resort, but for the money Monarch is awesome. I will be back to Monarch soon for an extended stay!!

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

Booked 2 nights in this resort with myself and the girlfriend,ended up staying an extra night as it was so relaxing and private.Lovely ocean noise from the sea at night while you sleep.Ideal place for honeymooners or if you wana make up with the girlfriend..

The manager ''Ron'' aka Hawkeye Pierce from Mash,was a true character from Chigaco.. who takes pride in his hidden paradise tucked away in Siaton.He picked us up at the ferry port on time..very effient and reliable maybe a trate taken from his German background..then told us jokes and stories on the mini bus another trate taken from his Irish background!! ;-) Next day we went out snorkeling in the big boat and he promised me an underwater turtle swimming..well that came up trumphs too!But i could have sworn i seen him put batteries in it!Great day out and lots to see in Apo island waters.

Staff where friendly and helpful.The food was tasty,try the burgers,i think his great irish grand mother handed down the recipe!!Rooms where tidy and comfortable,good shower..My fav cottage is on the beach to the right at 1200 pesos a night for the beach cottage it's a heavenly stay.

Mick Butler
Dublin,Ireland

BERLIN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

Monarch Beach Resort is really a place made in heaven. I was traveling alone, but for those who are traveling with there loved ones this is really a place to go. ROMANTIC
To be alone also its really a place to recharge those batteries long lazy days. Ron the owner of the place was a real character, Spending time talking and entertaining his guest. A Place with a personal touch. I was there only to enjoy the beach and to enjoy the quiet days away from all those busy tourist spots. Here was just fabulous. No tourists to be seen. No loud Bars, only those staying in the resort and a few fishermen tending to there boats and there kids playing in the water. Many say That Boracay offer the best sunsets in the Philippines. Only Bla Bla. Here The sunset is just fabulous much better than Boracay has to offer.
The Food. Well what can I say Ron. Ive been to the Philippines many Times before and here I can safely say the food was just fantastic. The best i've eaten while staying in the Philippines. The Burger was just incredible. But the other dishes also were just out of this world. Cooked With fresh veggies and freshly prepared. I wanted to take the cook home with me, a mans delight.
Ron Could not do enough for his guests and was prepared to do everything possible to make your stay a happy one. If you wanted to tour the island or go diving or if you had any wishes at all off course legal he would try to arrange it. He was very reliable and the Pick up from the airport like promised was waiting and also the return Leaving the hotel 5 in the morning was there like he had promised.
Ok I would like to also just mention to those people expecting a 5 star Hotel or something. This is not the place for you. You do have to be a little accommodating for the local wildlife. In my room I had to share with a cute little lizard. who would keep the Mosquitos away from me. one day A beautiful green Gecko visited me on my Terrace. He was so Beautiful Green as Green can be. His Striking Black eyes. One day A Spider started too spin his Web across my Terrace.This is what is so special about this place. Its different a Paradise away from the tourists. But the Creatures are just so harmless and I was fascinated and spent time watching one of my friends trying to catch a grasshopper. Hopeless he was, just so funny. No i'm not crazy. This Place was such a delight.

Also Please take enough cash with you because Ron doesn't accept Credit cards.

This Place is a real special Place to go. Its completely different to Boracay where the place is full off tourists. here you will find the peace and quiet you crave for.. A Paradise made in heaven. Thank you Ron You will be seeing me again That I Promise You.

Bundang
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2011

The owner Ron picked us up at the airport, He drove us through Dumaguette and an hour past to get to the resort. It was very nice. It had a great private strip of beach that shared a huge cove with some local fishermen. The food was very good for being out in the middle of nowhere. The food prep time and service was quite sluggish at first, but when we were given the option to pre order our meals as we were relaxing on the beach, they would just come get us when they were ready. Prices were great. As long as your not expecting the Ritz in rural negros island, then you should be pleasantly surprised.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
seoul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

We stayed here for 2 weeks. I have been sick by the many tourist traps that exist around other beaches in SE Asia. I began to think I never want to travel again because it was always the same old story of come and pay to much to be surrounded by other tourists. Well Monarch Sands was a relief. It is a small place somewhat isolated. You have a big sandy beach to share with only a few local fishermen. I could finally sit on a beach and not be bothered by anyone. My seven year old daughter could lull around in the water since there aren't any waves and it is a long way to any deep water. Besides the beach, the food was awesome, but just order an hour or so before you want to eat. The staff was nice and friendly. Very safe, we never closed or locked our door during or stay. We even had over a thousand dollars in cash in the room. The bamboo cabin was quite rustic which added to the relaxing atmosphere. Ron is a trip and went out of his way to make sure we had everything we needed. Lots of little critters to keep the kids entertained, hermit crabs, geckos, fish. Best sunsets and the clouds were always amazing to see. We will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Seoul, South Korea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2011

My family and friends spent 2 weeks at Monarch Sands in December 2010. We had a wonderful trip. Booking the resort over the internet was a breeze and all communication with the owner Ron was prompt and informative.

The resort currently consists of 6 bungalows built with local materials though we heard that plans are in motion for extra bungalows and a pool. The bungalows were a good size for a family of 3, spacious, comfortable and fun. We enjoyed the occasional visits from birds and geckos, but found we needed the mosquito nets to keep out the mosquitoes at night - there weren't many. The free wifi was appreciated; it worked best at the restaurant.

The resort is located about an hour from Dumaguete but since we had arranged a pick-up in advance with Ron this was easy. We spent the hour discussing sightseeing options and listening to some of his tales of life in the Philippines. He's got some some good stories and explained a lot about local culture as we passed through small towns and beautiful agricultural areas on the way to the south coast.

During our two-week visit some or all of our group participated in many of the activities that Ron suggested. We went for a hike through the local farm country, took a scooter ride to a volcano, snorkeled/dived at Apo island with Ron's knowledgeable friend Gary a PADI certified dive master (recommended!), kayaked, rode horses on the beach, got massages (Jovi was great), spent a night on a sailboat and more. The beach was great for swimming, shelling and strolling. Half of the cove belongs to a local fishing community which I found to be a cultural bonus.

The food at the Monarch Sands was very good and the menu contained quite a few Western and local options. Every few days new specials were advertised, most featuring fresh seafood. We ate 3 meals a day at Monarch Sands and were consistently happy with all of our choices. One thing to note is that meals seemed to be prepared for one family at a time, so it was always smart to order ahead and specify a time that you would like to eat. The homemade chips and salsa and inexpensive mixed drinks were always ready quickly.

Staff at the resort were very polite and accommodating, though they seemed just a bit shy about communicating with the guests. Once we learned people's names and got to know which staff members to talk to about different things we had no problems. Getting to know everyone was part of the fun of the visit.

I would definitely recommend Monarch Sands to anyone looking for a relaxing stay at a pretty beach in Negros.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Been to Cove Sands Beach Resort? Share your experiences!