“Café staff an sevice” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Knockrow
More attraction details
Owner description: The Macadamia Castle has been the areas most popular activity destination for over 38 years. Entry is free to the Cafe, Nut Bar, Gift Shop, Fine Food section and Macadamia Nut information display. There is a daily programme of interactive activities in the Animal Park with over 200 native and farmyard animals. We have hands on experiences with our salt water crocodiles and many other animals. There are 9 keeper talks between 10.30 and 4pm where you can get up close to the animals.An ideal outing for the family, and a great destination when discovering the district. There is a very reasonable admission charge to the animal park and mini golf. A relaxing stop for fresh homestyle food, coffee, kids activities or education.
“Café staff an sevice”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I am horribly disappointed in the service, quality of food and rude staff members. I have recently read the review on the castle referring to the "double dipped chips". Seeing this previous review I would of thought they would of picked up their game and stopped over cooking chips. But I was wrong I was brought out a plate of chips that looked like they were cooked at least 3 times over. I saw a mouse run across the floor and dead cockroaches near the ice cream machine.

Very disappointing would not recommend this for a stop, the bye pass will save people money and time.

I did not go into the park but it did look quite enjoyable for the kids and the two staff members I did see were smiling and looked welcoming.

Visited May 2013
KingMacca, Owner at Macadamia Castle, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thanks Troydes for your review. I eat the chips at the Macadamia Castle every day ( and have a waist line to prove it) and I must say I have never experienced bad chips. I have never seen 3 times cooked chips. If you ever do come back please feel 100% free to comment on the day so we can evaluate your concerns and fix them immediately. I just checked the over 100 feedback forms we had in our Cafe in the last month and the average rating was between good and excellent.
As the owner I often go the Cafe and talk to customers and I have to say I'm sorry that your experience does not reflect what people tell me. I would also encourage you to try the many items on our menu that are made daily from fresh local ingredients. Thanks again for your comments.

Beaudesert
“Keep driving, only disappointment awaits you inside!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

From the moment you walk in you are greeted with an outdated building, decor and unrepaired damage. Their staff are rude and unfriendly, I particularly liked the long haired cook that was eating while making food while his hair was free to fall where it pleased. It was also nice to see that they make sure any nuts you buy are meticulously weighed to the gram, it is a nice friendly feeling when the girl removes a single nut because it pushed your purchase over the allowable threshold. The prices are ridiculously high, the place is so dilapidated it should be knocked down. Revolting does not even come close to describing the service, price and general experience the Macadamia Castle had to offer.

Visited May 2013
KingMacca, Owner at Macadamia Castle, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Thanks for your review. I note Trip Advisor removed it once for inappropriate comments but its back. Im sorry but I just cant accept that this is an objective review. I served that day in the Cafe and cleared 100 tables and all were delighted with their means. Our staff are not rude and our feedback sheets for the day were excellent. Our chef wears a bandana. Our chef does taste the food and yes we weigh the nuts. Thats essential in the bulk food business. Next time you visit I would be delighted to show you our feedback sheets and if you have a problem try to resolve it for you. We are the areas largest employer and trainer of youth for the hospitality business and have held a high reputation for 38 years. Im not sure what your agenda is but if you are really concerned about any aspect of our business I would be very happy to discuss it with you in person. Contact me any time. Tony
Brisbane, Australia
“Keep on driving .... The prices, food & attractions were absurd !”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

Ive driven past the Macadamia Castle so many times when returning to Brisbane from NSW.
This time we drove down for to spend Anzac Day with the kids .. $57 for 2 adults & 2 children ... The offer of train rides, mini golf , & your photo taken with reptiles was the only thing getting me to dig deep.We jumped on the train ride ... An old kabota tractor crawling at 4000 rpm, old metal carriages covered in rust & spider webs .. Not even a safety chain to stop you falling out. We then took to mini golf ... Termite eaten palings & rotted obstacles, the false grass looked like it had been eaten by goats, Even the clubs were all bent & or missing the foot... We saw eastern bearded dragons trapped in tiny little holding tanks .. Miserable! Thinking it couldn't get any worse we decided to have a bite before departing . We ordered 1 children's nugget & chips, a BLT on Turkish bread with one ginger beer & 1 raspberry drink ($38).. When the food arrived I was in shock .. Double dipped chips ( dark brown & shrivelled ) , the nuggets like truffles .. Dark, Hard & tasting foreign . The Turkish bread was thin sliced & full of mixed lettuce, chunky tomato & 1 rash of bacon. Even the side of relish uneatable. Finally, the photos with Australian reptiles cost you a further $10 & you had to use your own camera ... Never again !

Visited April 2013
KingMacca, Owner at Macadamia Castle, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thanks for your comments. I am amazed why your experience was so different to all the customers I spoke to on those few days and the 100% positive feedback forms we received on the days. We had no complaints at all that week despite serving a few thousand customers.I am very happy to make our feedback public to anyone that wants to see them.

If you are unhappy about anything I suggest you contact a supervisor on the day who will make sure your issues are addressed. We pride ourselves on our customer service and invite you to help us by sharing your comments with us on the day if anything is not perfect. We may not be able to change the speed of the train but we can ensure you are 100% happy with the food and facilities.....Tony ...Owner
Brisbane
7 attraction reviews
“Expensive!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

food was ok but forget the rest. Same old souvenirs and high priced locally made jams and other products etc, although I have seen similar products all over Qld for less than charged for here.

Visited March 2013
KingMacca, Owner at Macadamia Castle, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Hi thanks for your comments. We have a very wide range of very local food which is competitively priced. Much of it is hand made. Its hard to compare prices for different handmade food products in different areas but we do know that what we offer is wonderful quality, well priced and made with love by true locals ( who I can assure you are not getting rich farming and making gourmet food.

Our Cafe serves local food freshly prepared and we are consistently rated very good value for money.

Thanks again for dropping by and taking the time to comment
Albury, Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Overpriced!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stopped off here for a look whilst staying in Byron Bay, and were horrified by the admission prices! Goodness knows how a normal family would even consider taking their children in here, no matter how good it purports to be. We just had a look round the gift shop (also very expensive) and had a couple of iced coffees, and left. Don't think we'll bother stopping there again.

Visited April 2013
KingMacca, Owner at Macadamia Castle, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Thanks RosyBev. Thanks for your comments. It does appear however that you did not go into our Animal Park so its hard to know how you can rate it. We do have over 100,000 visitors per year to the park and are pleased that their feedback is overwhelmingly positive. So try it next time ( if you hate it and let us know soon after you go in we happily refund you admission fee but we almost never are asked to do this)

We have over 150 animals, hourly keeper talks and many up close and personal animal experiences with native animals and farmyard animals. We have BBQ and picnic facilities and a tree house playground. We also have 18 hole mini golf. So if you have half or a full day to spend the the Animal Park is for you.

If you are in a rush then you can enjoy our Castle facilities for free. That includes Macadamia Display, Playground, Cafe, Fine Food store, sunny or shady seating areas and our clean facilities.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments.