“Seriously disappointing” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Knockderry House Restaurant

Knockderry House Restaurant
Shore Road | Knockderry House Hotel, Cove, Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park, Helensburgh G84 0NX, Scotland
01436 842 283
Dining options: Reservations
Iwerne Minster, United Kingdom
“Seriously disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

I had reviewed the Knockderry some time back and thought it was one of the best places to go to eat and stay within the area. Unfortunately something seems to have gone very wrong with the place.
Since i was last there about a year ago they seem to have either replaced the chef or he has gone seriously off the boil. I was in Scotland last week and was really looking forward to going to this place for lunch to have some great food and enjoy the lovely bar and restaurant. When we got the menu for lunch the description of the food was, as it had been in the past, very understated. This is fine with me with what sounds like quite simple food being really beautifully prepared and served. However, the understated menu wasn’t that it was actually just boring descriptions of equally boring food. Two people in my party had the hake tempura which turned up as tiny anaemic fillets of fish and some chips in soggy batter. Another two had the rump steak which was so thin i think it might need to have been cut by a laser, considering it was so thin it was a bit of a joke to be asked how i wanted it cooked considering it could realistically only come out well done. All of this would have been slightly bearable if it was a cheap place to go and eat but at £21.95 for three courses it was a lot of money for really poor food and service.
The restaurant only had one other table occupied when we were there but the service was still really slow and rather haphazard which culminated in me having to go and find the waitress to ask for the bill, she was sitting in the reception behind the desk and looked like i was interrupting her to ask for this. When we were leaving we again had to go past the reception with the ever helpful waitress behind it, i don’t expect an effusive explosion of gratitude for my patronage but i do expect some sort of acknowledgement of my presence. When the five of us where standing next to the waitress i said goodbye and thanks, in return i got a nice nothing.
In the end when we were leaving we were the only people in the place, the way things are going i can see that carrying on for here

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Sunderland, United Kingdom
“1st class hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Having just returned from a 2 night stay at Knockderry House I am moved to say that this was one of the best short breaks I have ever had. The accommodation was excellent and the staff and owners even better. We were made to feel so welcome from start to finish and our every need catered for. Murdo and Beth, the owners, had time for all of their guests and Fraser was service personified. The breakfast was excellent and catered so well for vegetarians. Thanks to all for making our weekend in Scotland so enjoyable.
Paul & Catherine Henderson/Miller

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

Everything is amazing. Setting, staff, food! Perfect place to go for a special occasion or to take someone to impress.

Visited August 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Delicious food, spot on service, great wines”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2012

I had the pleasure of eating here several times during my stay at the hotel - and noticed that all of the restaurant reviews are on the hotel's page and not this one! So I feel I must add a comment here.

Breakfasts were just stunning - I opted for the full Scottish every day. I ordinarily hate black pudding but they obviously source theirs from somewhere outstanding - I could have eaten a whole plate of it! And the potato scone/pancake that came with the breakfast was fantastic. Nice coffee and lovely miniature pastries too. An impressive spread to start the day.

As for lunch, I had outstanding mussels - the biggest and juiciest I have ever encountered! The bread was amazing (something I can be very fussy about) and the service was incredibly warm and courteous.

Dinner was out of this world. The place is so wonderful in the evening, with candles, lovely music and roaring fires - so snug and intimate. I opted for steak as I often do and it was cooked to perfection. We asked for wine recommendations (the wine list was very impressive) and those suggested were spot on.

Totally impressed by this place. The building itself is in outstanding condition and has been furnished by a real pro - traditional but very comfortable and welcoming. I indulge in a lot of fine dining at home in London, and have travelled far and wide to sample highly rated cuisine, and so I suppose I have become quite difficult to please, but this place had the whole package. Stunning.

• Visited January 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Victoria, Canada
“Highway robbery”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

We stopped by this historic hotel because the tourism brochure we had been given contained an ad for this establishment specifically advertising its homemade baking and afternoon teas. First of all, when we arrived, we felt like we were intruding. The staff were rude at best, and looked at us like we were crazy to be inquiring about afternoon tea at 3 pm. He said, "No, we don't do that, but we could probably do a scone or something if that's what you want." That should have been our clue to leave, but we stayed, and were served a freezer-burned, definitely NOT homemade scone...the worst I think we've ever had, in Canada, the UK or Australia. The final straw was when we received our bill...for this horrible scone and one cup of tea, we were charged over 6 pounds per person! When we questioned this, thinking there must be an error, we were told it's their price and that it's a fair price because they do their own baking! I've had any number of scones that far exceeded their quality for a third or less of the price, and served by far more friendly waitstaff. Please ignore the tourism brochures and DO NOT attend this overrated hotel.

• Visited October 2011