“Good, but could have been much better” 3 of 5 stars

Announcement
Join Hyatt Gold Passport®
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Bambolim
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Good, but could have been much better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

Was on a business trip. Not far from the airport, one can reach there in 40mins max. Property is huge, vast whatever you want to call it. U can even get confused at times The property though looks really beautiful. There are 7 guest houses and every room in the guest house has a balcony. Beds are soft and comfortable. Washrooms are spacious, and have all the toiletries one would need. The house keeping and in room service is prompt however on 2 occasion had to wait more then 30 mins. Hotel has its own private beach, which i missed out to explore. They have a pool table and also they can arrange Archery, if one would be interested.
There were a couple of things that out you off, primarily the food. Which for me is very important as im a foodie. They have a huge spread, Breakfast was good but The lunch was horrible. i mean my experience when it comes to food, even in Grand Hyatt even in Mumbai, the food was never up-to the mark.During breakfast, the staff didn't really interact with the guest much in terms of checking if the guest would anything. The service was found to be slow and if the food items were over in the spread, it had to asked to be refilled, rather then the staff being proactive. The other thing that really out me off was since had to leave with the first flight in the morn the hotel arranged for packed breakfast, and the way the packed the breakfast was really horrible, and the croissant & poha they packed was horrible to taste as well. Hope they could improve on this as well, or probably they cud do away with a sandwich.

Overall it was a good stay, wouldn't mind staying there again, just hope the food is better.

Room Tip: Since you will be staying in the guest house, Choose Guest house no 4,5,6, with pool view and 7 clos...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
StefanRadstrom, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Goa, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Rehankaskar,

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Goa!

Thank you for your valuable feedback. At the onset I would like to thank you for the kind words you used to describe our hotel, the rooms and the service and I am glad to hear that overall you had a great stay. I hope you enjoyed the leisure activities as well.

However, I regret to know about your displeasure with the food offerings and the service offered during breakfast. I have shared your comments with the concerned departments for necessary actions. Regarding the packed breakfast I have instructed my chef to investigate the same. Although I can assure you that this is not typical of our otherwise high standards we aim to achieve.

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated and we’re all looking forward to your return visit and assure you will see the difference in our service standards.

Do visit us on Facebook and stay up to date on activities planned at Grand Hyatt Goa.

Stefan Radstrom -

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Polish first
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The Grand Hyatt is humongous. Great lawns, rooms are very good, pool looks good, food is the standard 5 star fare, could be more exciting. Its the right location for a business conference, far from the city, good to keep the crowd focused!

Families may find the same a bit disappointing because of the poor beach.It's a narrow, short stretch of land, muddy rather than sandy. Kids would not love this. Neither if you are looking for a long walk or a good jog.

Dear Rishima,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Goa!

Thank you for taking a quick moment to share your review to the advised trippers. I am delighted to know that you liked the views of the hotel, the pool and particularly the food.

As you are aware Grand Hyatt Goa is nestled by the calm waters of Bambolim bay. Our coastline mainly depends on the tides. During high tide, the sand soaks up the water and is much like the sand you would find close to the waters on the shores of the South Goa beaches. We also have our team cleaning the bay front on a regular basis. I would say this is the best time of the year for morning walks and jogs. Nevertheless, the bay being only 50 metres away from the hotel makes it an ideal place to unwind and relax. The bay view rooms are indeed quite amazing in addition to the spectacular sunsets, fresh air 24/7 and gentle sound of the waves which is liked and appreciated by most of our guests.

Our Camp Hyatt offers a lot of fun activities for kids, indoor as well as outdoor to keep them entertained at Grand Hyatt Goa.

Stefan Radstrom . General Manager
Madras, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

i stayed in this place for 4 days as part of corporate team building.I forgot my Diamond ring on the wash basin in the bathroom. When i came back to my room after lunch. Ring was STOLEN.

SO SO SO disappointing. They have bloody thieves as their staff..In spite of me complaining to their security manager i never got it back.

THEIR STAFF STOLE MY DIAMOND RING.

Room Tip: Don't stay at a place where staff are thieves.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
StefanRadstrom, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Goa, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Vishwadeep_13,

Warm greetings from Grand Hyatt Goa!

I have noted your feedback on TripAdvisor and I would like to mention that I am aware of this incident. The same had been investigated and the findings were brought to your notice while you were staying with us.

As per the lock readings it was only you and your colleague who had entered the room and no staff entry was recorded during that period of your complaint. This was conveyed to you and you were in agreement of the same and said that it was alright as you were not sure of the area where you could have lost/misplaced the ring. Hence we feel that your feedback is not the actual interpretation of the incident as we have the lock reading and other supporting to substantiate our reply.

However, this is regretful as such an incident has never occurred in our hotel. Nevertheless, we will be happy to assist you in lodging a police complaint in case you wish to do so.

For any further assistance with regards to this issue please feel free to contact me on stefan.radstrom@hyatt.com

india
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I loved Grand Hyatt Goa. At first I was a bit apprehensive as I prefer quiet hotels and as it was peak season I expected the hotel to be bursting. However, the quiet location, our room allocation, service standards everything was great. The staff were cheerful and helpful which makes all the difference and even though the hotel was full to capacity it was managing perfectly.
It is a good hotel to visit with kids as they have lots of activities for them. The beach is nice and quiet. A special note for the food - the cafe / bakery good. The Indian restaurant Chuhla has fantastic food. The Verandah which has continental cuisine dims in comparison. They also havea great breakfast spread. We relaxed, sat in our balcony looking at the sea. The room was well equipped, well serviced and the bathrooms were fantastic.
All together it was a great experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
StefanRadstrom, General Manager at Grand Hyatt Goa, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear Figo9,

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Goa!

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and for your wonderful post to the advised trippers. I am overwhelmed by your compliments and particularly appreciate the kind words you used to describe our staff. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the food and beverage offering at our hotel. I hope you were able to capture the amazing views of the magical sunsets from your room.

Thank you once more for your commendation. We look forward to welcome you when next your travel brings you this way.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

a lovely resort, everything you would expect from a 5-star establishment. We had a beach view room over christmas in 2012. the small price difference was well worth it, I don't think we would have enjoyed ourselves nearly as much with a garden facing room.

the resort is right on the beach, it's not the nicest beach in goa and nor is the location really near anything else so you need to hire a taxi to get anywhere.

great for a few night stay to relax and unwind but if you're into nightlife or want to sample local cuisines, this place might not be for you.

if you're into cocktails, make sure you ask them to make them strong.

Room Tip: beach view as a minimum!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Kara D,

Warm greeting from Grand Hyatt Goa!

Thank you for taking a quick moment to share your review with the TripAdvisor community. We are happy to know we met your expectations. The bay view from the rooms is a highlight for many of our guests. We’re glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

As you are aware Grand Hyatt Goa is situated by the calm waters of Bambolim bay which makes it an ideal place to unwind and relax in addition to amazing views of the magical sunsets. The Resort is only 25km from the International Airport, 7km from Panaji and only 30 minutes from Baga.

Once more thank you for your commendation, we look forward to your next vacation!

New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Nice Resort. Because of its isolation, you need to hire a car all the time. Instead of having a meter, they throw out prices that are made for tourists. Too bad. It could have been a nicer experience. The service at breakfast was non existant. I guess they could not handle all these guests....

Room Tip: You need a room with a view. Recomend the pool view
Dear Tom180,

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Goa!

Thank you for taking a quick moment to share your review. I am glad you liked our resort and I truly appreciate your comments and suggestions.

With regards to the taxi hire; I would like to mention that most of our guests hire hotel cars as they find it reasonably priced as compared to the local taxis and we ensure the safety of our guests at all times.

We look forward to your next visit.

New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

Just came back after 4 nights at this property. Had travelled there with my family and we had 2 Garden facing rooms. There is no doubt that this is a grand property - well constructed and a very different concept. The location is actually pretty good - secluded in the immediate vicinity but only about 10 Kms from Panjim town and another 10 Kms to the beaches of Calangute and onwards.

The property gives a grand impression when you drive in....The main building consists of the Lobby, some lounging areas, the Restaurants. All the guest rooms are in buildings, that are designed like Grand villas on either side.

The positives :
1. Large rooms (as befit a Grand Hyatt) with all amenities, large bathrooms with both a large shower area as well as a bathtub. We had a large sitout too but the view was very ordinary - garden facing (and there was still work being completed behind a scaffolding).
2. Very good level of housekeeping. Very generous with Tea/coffee provisions and Drinking water.
3. Fantastic impact of gardens, the pool area, the large trees and the ocean.
4. Very reasonable prices of food and Drinks. I thought the specialty restaurant - Chulha was exceptionally well priced, the pastry shop - Confiteria was a steal. Most Drinks (Margaritas, etc) at 350 each were again a steal.
5. The food was by and large very good. We had the breakfast buffet each morning and the spread was quite good. The Cappuccino is exceptional. I had 2 cups every morning - the best outside Italy.
6. Decent rates for car hire. Again, not a rip off like a lot of Hotels.
7. The staff at the poolside were very helpful and never said no.

In all, a property which recognises that people come to Goa to make full use of the resort (amongst other things) and it makes sense to price things correctly so that they dont end up going out of the property too often.

The things to improve :
1. This cant be improved but the Beach (though secluded and quiet and great for a walk) is quite muddy. You couldnt spot people lounging around on that sand. What I expected to see were some Jetskis, etc, but there are no water sports.
2. The service can be slightly indifferent at times. I understand that this is a newish property and while there are some great folks like Viraj in the Dining room, etc, some of them used to become tense as crowds emerged. I heard from two different people that the Hotel had over 700 people staying and this was to tell me that service is slow because of that. I thought this would be good news for a Hotel and not a reason to feel sad. We were told one morning at 9 50 am that the Dining room downstairs would stop serving Breakfast at 10 against the time of 11 am and we were told to go up to another area. We did so but later learnt the next day that this was not the case. The person who told us this simply didnt want to explain that the restaurant was crowded at that time.
3. The pool area is quite nice and lrge but I couldn't understand why they had this abutment in the centre which if one wasnt too careful, could hurt someone. They also have a fabulous large indoor pool which unfortunately is freezing because the water is not heated.

Net net, this was an overall good trip and money's worth and am sure that as they settle down, one will see the service levels going up a notch. I still think there is nothing to beat the Taj Holiday village service and the beach there but this property - the grandness, the rooms, food quality, etc, will give it some serious competition in the coming years.

Dont miss - a drink in the lounge area facing the Ocean outside Capiz Bar at night, a meal at Chulha and the Cappuccino.

Room Tip: Get a Bayview facing room.
Dear Gaganr,

Greetings from Grand Hyatt Goa!

Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to single out a few highlights. I am delighted you enjoyed the rooms and the amenities on offer, the views of the hotel, the pool and off course the service offered by our staff including your special mention of Viraj.

I appreciate your feedback on service at the restaurants and have well noted your comments and suggestions. This enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we endeavour to provide to our guests.

Thank you once more, hope you will once again choose to give us an opportunity to exceed your expectations in all aspects and make your next stay flawless!

Stefan Radstrom General Manager

Been to Grand Hyatt Goa? Share your experiences!