Had a great Christmas break. Arrived on Christmas Eve to afternoon tea which was delicious. The only downside was that as a resident afternoon tea was served in the Repton Room which was set up like a cafe whereas the non resident day visitors had theirs served in the drawing room which was far nicer. Ask to sit outside the Repton Room on the comfy sofas if you want to be truly spoiled.
Our room, 166, was on the first floor close enough to the gym and spa. The gym has Technogym equipment - get a key for the machines from the desk outside the gym or take your own if the gym you use at home has Technogym stuff, and headphones if you want to watch the telly while you are working out. there's no cups at the water cooler either, so don't forget to take a water bottle in with you as well.
The spa is relaxing and the treatments reasonably priced. There's a lovely relaxation room for after treatment so you are not rushed to leave when the treatment is over. The swimming pool is not huge but the water was a lovely temperature, as was the jacuzzi.
The room itself was clean, tidy and comfortable, and quiet. Not much of a view, just over a tiny bit of grass as we were at the end of the building but then we didn't go to stare out of a window, so we weren't bothered about it.
The food in the Calverley Room was very acceptable and there was plenty of it! The staff were friendly, although the waiter we had was not able to tell us what was in some of the dishes as he wasn't sure. There was a "chocolate teardrop" on the menu and when we asked what it was we were told "it's chocolate in a teardrop shape" (actually it was a layered chocolate mousse encased in chocolate which was delicious) and another time the waiter said he didn't know what another dish was, which wasn't a problem but isn't too professional really. We had wine with our meals and the staff were happy to save the unfinished bottles for the next meal so it wasn't wasted and so we didn't feel that we had to finish a full bottle at lunch and again in the evening.
Despite the recent wet weather the greens were well kept and the guys in the clubhouse were helpful.
Housekeeping were very efficient -our requests for wine glasses in the room and then later for some scissors were dealt with quickly and courteously. It really did feel like nothing was too much trouble for them.
All in all an impressive building with great staff. Would certainly recommend it for a relaxing romantic break away.
- Also Known As:
- De Vere Oulton Hall Hotel Oulton
- De Vere Oulton Hall Leeds
- Oulton Hall
- Oulton Hall Leeds
- De Vere Oulton Hall Hotel
- De Vere Oulton Hall Yorkshire
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The sweeping driveway leads up to one of the grandest entrances in Yorkshire, where you’re met by a very warm welcome from our concierge. This unique 18th century former family home has beautiful landscaped gardens and lawns. Inside you’ll find grand staircases, 152 bedrooms, a state-of-the-art spa & fitness club and private function rooms. Dining at Oulton is a treat for the senses. From the classic Yorkshire afternoon tea served by the butler in the Drawing Room, to Champagne on the terrace, or a steak from the Calverley Grill.If you’re interested in the outdoors there are many activities that can be arranged. Or golfers of any level will find challenge in the 27 holes that are the meandering fairways and perfect greens of The Calverley and Hall Courses. Raise your game even further with the North’s leading golf facility in the Nike Academy. As well as custom fitting, the Academy uses the latest technology to significantly improve your game. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Priceline, Tingo, Orbitz and Venere so you can book your De Vere Oulton Hall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.