“"Bliss"” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Point Yamu Resort by Como

You added Point Yamu Resort by Como to your Saves list
Point Yamu Resort by Como
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   225 Moo 7, Boat Lagoon, Pa Khlok, Phuket 83110, Thailand   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Pa Khlok
5.0 of 5 stars 216 Reviews
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“"Bliss"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

The hotel is truly amazing: in terms of concept and design. We did not even bother to venture into Phuket town the entire duration of our trip. As it's a sin if we did not fully take advantage of the hotel. Plus we just wanted to chill by the pool and enjoy the scenery and quietness of the hotel. Considering how hectic our daily lives are. We want to personally thank Mr. James Low (General Manager and Mr. Alain (Asst. Manager) for being such a gracious host(s).
We'll definitely be back real soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
james l, General Manager at Point Yamu Resort by Como, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Dear bruno1romeo,
Thank you for your concise and complimentary review of your recent stay at Point Yamu By COMO. Yes one can easily cocoon oneself in this tranquil and beautiful setting and enjoy the luxury of having to do nothing. I am glad you have had a relaxed holiday with us and returned back to KL sufficiently rejuvenated.
Alain and I have enjoyed playing host to you and we look forward to welcoming you back to Point Yamu By COMO soon. Warmest, james

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Korean first
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We stayed at the Point Yamu for three nights at the end of March; it was amazing.

The staff is very attentive and welcoming, yet never intrusive. Everything was taken care of.

The building is sleek and modern, with extremely comfortable bright, Mediterranean-inspired bed and bath rooms. The whole relaxing ambiance is enhanced by the scent of essential oils.

The food is another highlight (at both the Thai and Italian restaurant), with the former offering new takes on familiar Thai dishes.

At breakfast we chose from the a la carte menu (the buckwheat pancakes, Thai style bacon and eggs and noodles are my favorites) and selected our own combinations of freshly juiced fruit and vegetables. There’s also an extensive buffet of fresh fruit, yogurts and pastries. You’ll be thinking about your next breakfast all day. We were.

There’s no beach, but there’s an island a short boat ride away, which the hotel will happily organize a trip to - taking us to our own little beach area. It’s only a half-day excursion, and I wish it could have been longer. But this left more time to lounge by the pool and have our own mini spa day in the Jacuzzis overlooking the bay.

I’ve stayed at some great hotels and villas in my ten years in SE Asia, but this is the first time I felt compelled to write a review, and that’s thanks to the wonderful hotel, staff and chefs for making this such a memorable experience.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
james l, General Manager at Point Yamu Resort by Como, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear PBKK72,
Thank you very much for taking time to write your first posting on Tripadvisor and we are most grateful for such a positive review of our Resort. I am especially happy to note that we were able to deliver a holiday experience that was special and memorable to you. Yes, Paola Navones' designs, good food and attentive service have consistently been brought up in our reviews and we will always endeavor to excel in these hallmarks of our Resort.
My staff and I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Point Yamu By COMO hopefully in the not too distant future. Warmest, james.
Paris, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We really wanted to love it. As early adopters of the Como brand and very regular visitors to other properties, we were excited to meet the new addition to the family. It is still the “soft opening” but the shortcomings are conceptual and go deeper than that so I don’t think we will give it another chance.

The problem for us is the concept. You have to be prepared for the fact that this is a tropical island location without direct access to water or beach. They've done the best they can with over-the-top design to distract you from this reality but for many travellers seeking a sybaritic island getaway, this will be heartbreaking. There is a dramatic 100 meter pool (although chilly and only one third of it is swimmable) that reflects the passing clouds, the restaurants and bars are stylish and delicious, the design is fabulous and comfortable and textured with something amusing to see everywhere you look.

But if you desire to sink your toes into some soft sand and warm tropical waters, go snorkelling, go sea kayaking, or even play some tennis, this is not your place. You are in a high design ivory tower.

They do arrange for a transfer to a nearby island, but this is nearly a total disaster. The island was glorious for about 30 minutes . . . until all the other tourist boats arrived. While the Point Yamu guys do stake out a small area of the beach for you, the island is public and you cannot escape the throngs of day-trippers (mostly crass and beer-infused Siberians that day). The little restaurants and bars on the island are only interested in taking as many baht as possible off you. Hey, I’m not above hanging out on a busy public beach; it just isn't what I expect when I am paying Point Yamu prices.

All of the rooms are in one monstrously clunky block on the top of the hill flanked by denuded hillsides and the construction of the various private villas. There is a lot of poured concrete and very little in the way of greenery; it’s an austere modern aesthetic that, while drawing on interesting textures and fresh colors, has an industrial feel. There’s a slight discord between the urban loft-like concrete and the curvaceous lines of the bays and islands in the distance, but you may like that. Long corridors of rooms detract from a sense of exclusivity.

While the staff are all very sweet and well-meaning, the service is still far below what one would expect at a Como property. It was a challenge to get towels at the pool (which should never happen!), food orders mixed up, bar bills wildly wrong, they take a deposit on arrival that they don’t tell you about and you don’t get it back for three weeks, etc.

Lastly, the spa is beautiful and peaceful, the gym is very small for the size of the property but serviceable and has nice sunset views. They use Life Fitness equipment; have 3 treadmills, 2 bikes, 2 cross-trainers all with TV (although they don’t all work). There is a lat machine, chest and shoulder presses, leg extension, leg curl, multi-gym, some dumbbells and a few Swiss balls.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
james l, General Manager at Point Yamu Resort by Como, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear superdeluxe, Paris,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Point Yamu By COMO and I am sorry to hear of your disappointment of the absence of a beach at our resort. Although currently we offer a temporary beach option at Rang Yai island (which you have rightly pointed out is a public beach on a private island) we do have plans to develop our own private beach club in the near future. This new facility will feature a water activities center, a small eatery and some treatment salas as well. I have just had a lengthy meeting with my team to discuss the service glitches highlighted in your review and please be assured that every single point will be addressed and rectified. Service is our hallmark in our Resort and I will ensure that no efforts will be spared to deliver the very best in every aspect of our operation.
I would be most grateful if you could reconsider a return visit once our private beach club is completed. Thank you and my warmest, james.
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

The latest property of the Como hotels and they have once again outdone themselves. The quality service and excellent facilities are as expected at all Como hotels. But this one stands out in particular with their classy design and clever use of space that created many cozy corners where one can enjoy much privacy while admiring the beautiful surroundings. Every morning, we were greeted with a great collection of healthy and tasty breakfast. Meal time at both the Italian and Thai restaurants is always exciting too as both serve creative dishes which tickle one's imagination and certainly the taste buds, adding much to the whole dining experience. The Como Shambala Spa is the best by far as in all Como Properties. A must try if you have not before. Absolutely loved our time there and we can't wait to get back.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
james l, General Manager at Point Yamu Resort by Como, responded to this review, March 29, 2014
Dear Satisfied,
Thank you for a highly complimentary review of your stay at Point Yamu By COMO and I am very happy we were able to deliver for you a holiday experience in the tradition of COMO Hotels & Resorts. Yes, we do pay particular attention to our COMO brand attributes of design, wellness, cuisine and service, which I am glad you have experienced all of these in our new Resort. On a separate note, I would like to thank and compliment you on posting a set of stunning photographs of our Resort, which I must add, mirrored your review perfectly.
My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Point Yamu By COMO soon. Warmest, james
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

What to say? A lot....the hotel is still at pre-opening stage with ongoing villa construction works so it is very quiet and peaceful. Services are excellent and attentive without any noticeable mistake. Staffs are brilliant and do interact with guests at all time, from management to junior level. Please keep this up and this will make your hotel different from others. Guests travelling to Phuket normally look for a beach resort. Point Yamu, by its name, is at Cape Yamu and the hotel level is away from the sea. If ones really fancy sand and sea water, no problem, the hotel will bring you to a nearby island without costs, together with two attendants, water and towel. Similar services include a ride to nearby 711 for grocery shopping or cycling to Yamu village. Back to the pool, it is surrounded by 270 degree ocean view with unblock sunlight from sun rise to sunset. Breakfast is the COMO standard, simple and healthy. Readers should look at the pictures to see how does the hotel look like, it is contemporary yet with Thai touch in the open air lobby, pool lounger, floral arrangement etc. Last but not least, I love your pizza!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear J L,
What a lovely review and in particular, 'what was said'! Thank you for the wonderful compliments which my team and I are grateful as it will give us an indication of our service progress from our guest's point of view and I am sure, will spur us to excel further. I sincerely look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Point Yamu By COMO soon. By the way I loved your photos as much as you have loved our pizzas. Warmest, james.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

If you want a relaxing vacation with fresh air, serenity, delicious food with healthy options, amazing service, clean and beautiful accommodations, Point Yamu is for you. This is a new hotel so the rooms and furniture are like brand new. The pool smells so clean you would think there isn't any chlorine added. You are away from the main area (Patong) but close enough to visit as often as you'd like. A driver is about $60 CAD for 4-5 hours. The staff is very attentive, hospitable, and kind. The only drawback is the food price is high for the city. You can buy pad thai at a local market for only $1.50 CAD, whereas at this hotel, it's around $15-20. But it was still delicious and they had an amazing breakfast buffet which offered healthy options like a wheatgrass shots, or buckwheat pancakes. I highly recommend Point Yamu.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
james l, General Manager at Point Yamu Resort by Como, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear cheekycherrylee,
Thank you for sharing with us your recent experience at Point Yamu By COMO. I am happy to note that you have had a lovely stay with us and have given us a positive recommendation of our resort. Yes the pool is quite amazing and you are right to point out that there is hardly any detection chlorine in the water as we are using a special calcium sand filtration system for the pool. I am sorry you find our food prices high compared to the local eateries but in this respect our operational costs reflect similar high overhead costs. I want to assure you that our menu prices are in line with 5 star hotels in Phuket and we will be introducing better value set lunches shortly.
I look forward to the pleasure of your return visit to Point Yamu By COMO soon, warmest, james.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

We had a great holiday at Point Yamu Phuket, simply stunning and beautiful!!
Love the entrance of resort, the 100m long pools, the Jacuzzi on 2nd floor with view, the lobby décor, view of Andaman sea and 2 interesting Thai and Italian restaurants.
Signature COMO spa, a-la-carte style breakfast and special side-trip to one of the island arranged by the resort, a real holiday for us!
Been staying at many 5 star hotels in Phuket but Point Yamu is the only one would keep me going back again!
I was lucky to have the resort tour with James Low, the GM, he shared the story behind this beautiful resort, amazed with the details they have put it! Well done!
The latest best resort in Phuket!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
james l, General Manager at Point Yamu Resort by Como, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear chewhong2014,
Thank you very much for the positive and wonderful review of Point Yamu By COMO and this is especially encouraging, coming from a well seasoned visitor to Phuket. I am glad you have had a relaxed and enjoyable stay and was able to bring home special moments of your holiday with us.
I look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back to Point Yamu by COMO, perhaps this time you can stay a bit longer. Warmest, james.

Been to Point Yamu Resort by Como? Share your experiences!