I have just returned from a week at Sandalwood, staying in Leelawadee Villa with my husband and daughter, my parents, and my sister. We would all highly recommend the resort.
Firstly: we had a medical emergency whilst away, my sister collapsed and had to be rushed to hospital. We cannot express our gratitude enough to the staff and in particular the American owner, George, who did everything in their power (and above and beyond) to get her to the hospital fast and ensure she received excellent care whilst there. George himself drove us to the hospital, hand on the horn the whole way, and once there, ran around ensuring she got the next doctor asap. We ended up needing to spend the night in hospital and George also brought supplies and flowers. Cannot stress highly enough how wonderfully caring and helpful this was, it certainly brought us peace of mind. Oh, also, if you're wondering, the hospital in Koh Samui is great, like a hotel with beautiful landscaped gardens and excellent rooms and we could not fault the staff or doctors regarding the treatment she received. Most of them spoke English very well. Always nice to know when you're travelling to a foreign country!
Secondly, travelling with a 6month old baby: this resort is perfect for that, the airport transfers they provide free of charge had a baby seat with 5 point safety harness and the staff had already set up a great cot (would have met Australian safety standards) in our room. Too easy really. Also, because there are so few villas and most have their own pool, we weren't interrupting anyone else's holiday when bubs was upset!
So, the Leelawadee Villa: has 3 rooms, one with a huge king bed and ensuite bathroom; another with a queen size bed and shared bathroom with the third bedroom which has 2 single beds. The Villa is at the end of the resort with uninterrupted and breathtaking views from a beautiful deck and infinity pool. Couldn't be more beautiful really. There is also a large living/lounge area with a full kitchen if cooking takes your fancy..... although why would you when the room service and meals are so brilliant?! A/C in all the rooms was good; mattresses were comfortable; TVs in the two main rooms; ceiling fans.
The Food: breakfast is much improved since our first stay here 2 years ago and any reviews that touch negatively on the breakfast must have been written before they implemented the new system. There is a small continental buffet with fresh croissants; toast; cereals; yoghurts; fruit and you also choose a meal off the breakfast menu. You can have omelettes with your choice of filling; scrambled eggs; pancakes with fruit/maple syrup; sausages; bacon; asian breakfasts and 'spa breakfast' (healthy choice). Highly recommend the pancakes with fresh fruit baked into them - delicious. The tea and coffee is also excellent and there is a range of fresh fruit juices and smoothies you can order if you like. Lunches and dinners are also great, we didn't eat away from the resort the whole 7 days we were there and we didnt come close to exhausting the menu. There is also a good range of Western food available with the average cost of a main meal being about Aus$6....unbelievable value! All the staff are very friendly and only to happy to help with organizing day trips, cars to local shopping areas or beaches. Spa treatments (approx $35 aus for an hour) on site were a touch of heaven and plenty of variety to have a different massage or treatment each day. An absolute must to experience is the personalised bbq on your own deck by the pool....a real touch of decadence with fantastic food and service....a perfect way to spend our last evening in this beautiful place!
The Service: nothing is too difficult for the staff here, and because there are only a handful of villas but over 30 staff members, its all very personalised. As an example, on our first day here I asked if there was any pomelo at breakfast (my favourite Thai fruit) and although there wasn't on that day, the staff got it in (it wasn't even in season but they found some ripe ones!) and it was on the breakfast fruit platter every morning thereafter. The breakfast staff also remembered which of us preferred tea and which coffee so that we didn't even need to tell them after the first day, they just kept the refills coming! I think what sums the service up best is George's philosophy, he says "Its all about treating the staff really well, the rest just naturally follows". So true.
The Location: yes, its on a hill. No biggy. They run shuttles to shopping areas and beaches, its not a big island so it doesnt take long to get anywhere you want to go. We thought the location was the best part because without it being up the hill the view from our infinity pool wouldn't have been uninterrupted ocean as far as the eye can see! Its also quiet, the perfect retreat away from the hustle and bustle of a day shopping in Thai market strips!
Finally, we all think this is the perfect resort, you have everything just right George, don't change it please!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the beautiful island of Koh Samui, our ten Thai style pavilions are positioned around five infinity edge swimming pools. Each intimate and secluded villa has a panoramic ocean view and is linked by landscaped gardens with intricate stone walkways.We provide exclusive and sophisticated accommodation while seamlessly blending traditional Thai architecture with a modern contemporary style.At Sandalwood Luxury Villas, we strive to give each guest an outstanding level of quality service with our warm Thai hospitality. From the moment our professional drivers pick you up at the airport, our staff is available to cater for your every need. Whether enjoying an authentic Thai meal in our Blue Ginger Restaurant or a massage at our Sanctuary Spa, our goal is to make your Sandalwood stay a special experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Otel, Despegar.com, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Sandalwood Luxury Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandalwood Luxury Villas Hotel Koh Samui
- Sandalwood Luxury Hotel
- Sandalwood Luxury Koh Samui
- Sandalwood Luxury Villas Ko Samui/Maret