“Nice place, good spec, friendly people, would be amazing in the high season” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Samui Reef View Resort

You added Samui Reef View Resort to your Saves list
Samui Reef View Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   404/23 M.1, Maret, Ko Samui 84310, Thailand   |
Ranked #11 of 63 Hotels in Maret
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Nice place, good spec, friendly people, would be amazing in the high season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Having read the last review, a few things rang true about samui reef view, so it's good to see honest reviews on trip advisor which are impartial and unbiased, providing means for an owner to improve on, and for a prospective guest to decide their resort on. This provided the framework for our review of SRV.

The first notable positive from our stay was the fact that we had a warm welcome, and a good time in part, but we're also glad to leave due to a couple of points which I think are easilly rectified to improve the resort in the future.

There are a great deal of positives which in my opinion outweigh the negatives for SRF; most notably was the quality of the food which was marvelous and drew them in from surrounding accommodation. Hom and the team cooks up a mean meal which my girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed. Their Thai food is great, honestly priced, and shouldn't be missed out if you're thinking about swapping a meal in the resort, for an overpriced meal in Lamai.

The room we stayed in was good, not stunning, however you're not paying for luxury accommodation. It was clean, fresh linen, towels were supplied, bathroom was good, and even came with a tv and DVD player to while away the quiet hours in the evening. The room also came equipped with a mini bar and fridge which was welcoming and pleasant, encompassing reasonable prices for all of the goods they filled the minbar with.

The resort itself was well maintained, and the structure of the resort was also visually compelling, with the rooms centred around the very pleasing swimming pool SRV has to offer guests. I've noted a few comments on TA regarding no safety deposit boxes in the room, or the fact that people didn't feel safe in the resort due to cracks in the doors, but my/our feeling was that this was a truly safe, trustworthy resort which you could happily leave belongings in / out, and have no need to worry about their whereabouts when returning.

An added bonus to the stay here was the fact that you receive a transfer from where you land in koh samui to the resort itself. When coming in by ferry, this really was a pleasant thought to have, knowing Hom would be there to pick us up, and whisk us away to SRV without having the banal rigmarole of trying to navigate taxis or transfers to resorts.

Hom and Angus were great in our stay. Hom was lovely - always upbeat and with a smile. Gracious and kind, and a real charm to be around when dropping us off in Lamai. This would be a good point to say that their services also extend to a drop off / pick up to Lamai and home again which was always an added bonus.

Angus was a pleasant, likeable manager of the resort. Most notably in our stay was Angus's willing to help us out when called upon. My girlfriend and I had a motorbike accident, and we felt looked after by knowing someone was giving us impartial, and informative advice about a clinic and doctor to see, whilst also taking control of the situation regarding the bike. Angus was direct, straight down the line, and you knew that you were receiving the best advice from an experienced expat in ko samui.

In terms of the things to note which could be improved, and I have to stress, these were outweighed by the positives. Negatives were predominantly led by the off-season atmosphere at the resort. This was probably compounded by the fact that as previously stated, my girlfriend and I had a motorbike accident, so were restricted in part to staying at SRV, but after a day a few days staying there, we were the only people staying in the resort.

The resort itself ticks over as normal, but as there wouldn't be a huge amount to do, a great deal of the staffs time is spent in the restaurant / lobby / central living area. When staying there, due to our injuries, we had the pleasure of sampling Hom and the teams amazing cooking, but felt like we were invading Angus and Hom's family time with their kids and staff when we turned up to eat. The staff were always friendly, gracious and kind, but we always had that feeling of invading someone's home, which isn't a nice feeling as we were eating breakfast and dinner at the resort due to not being able to get out. We ate in silence as the family and staff stopped everything to serve, and then plates and glasses were cleared efficiently. We then paid, and hurried back to our room. Angus and Hom sat at their own desks; built for them in the centre of the dining room, running the daily operations of the resort. Hopefully a constructive solution would be to have an office / lounge area away from the guest dining area, so when guests dined, or wanted to relax in their bar / restaurant however busy the resort was, they could so without feeling like they were infringing on Angus or Homs running of the resort, or the staff who were sat in the restaurant, yet eager to serve the guests. This, combined with piping in some low level music, would make a really nice atmosphere by drawing in prospective guests who may think twice before heading into Lamai to eat out.

Having mentioned the complimentary drop off / pick up service for Lamai being of value, the reason for this is the location of the resort. South of Lamai beach and its centre, the location is set in the hills. The setting is extremly pleasant, surrounded by palm trees with views of the gulf, however like most parts of Thailand, nothing is walk able, and we were too far from Lamai to feel like we could escape when we wanted to. My gut feeling is that if we hadn't had our accident, we may be singing a different song as we would have had the means to travel freely on the motorbike, but if you aren't hiring a bike or a car, this could become quite tedious as it did for us as we felt trapped, not having anything nearby to walk to which became frustrating. Angus and Hom provide you with a mobile phone when going to Lamai to call them to be picked up, but as there were no other guests in the resort for a number of days, like when dining in the restaurant, we sometimes felt we were being intrusive by asking for a pickup back to the resort.

All in all, our stay at SRV was a good one. Due to the accident, our whole stay on ko samui was disrupted a great deal. SRV would make an awesome place to stay in peak season as the atmosphere would truly be present. With a few minor tweaks to the running, the resort could also be one which would be a top performer whatever the current stage of the season. The infrastructure and essence is there, and we wish Angus and Hom all the best in making SRV not only the best value resort to stay at, but the best resort hands down!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'm a bit torn on what to write about this place... on the one hand I can't find any major faults to criticise (although there are some minor ones) and on the other hand, I was quite glad to leave... I can only justify this comment by saying, it's a nice place, but just wasn't the type of accomodation that suited our personalities.

To start with, when we stayed here we were the only guests for our full four days. My reason for mentioning this is that I think this is what led to our feelings of awkwardness and wanting to be moving on to our next destination. Had the place been buzzing with people, perhaps we would have rated differently, but I can only judge on the experience we had.

* The resort offered free collection from the ferry port which is both an excellent and vital service. The resort is up in the hills and I'd imagine would be hard to locate if the hotel weren't bringing you there.

* Likewise the hotel offer a free shuttle service down to Lamai Beach and they provide you with mobile phones so you can call them when you wish to return and they'll pick you up which is great. I believe they offer also motorbike hire, but we didn't utilise this facility. Again this is essential as you really can't walk anywhere from the resort. I think had we realised it was so out the way we wouldn't have booked. We like to be independent and felt a bit bad for relying on the owner's wife to ferry us about everywhere.

* The rooms are clean and tidy. Good air con, basic mini bar, dvd player and television. There was also a small balcony out front. In the main reception/restaurant area there is a big selection of dvds which is great. The bed however was rock solid and the shower although nicely hot, was not very powerful and sprayed all over the bathroom when used. There was also no safety deposit box in the room which is normally a deal breaker for us.

* The reception/restaurant/social area is all in one. There is a computer which the owner Angus uses as his main desk and another desk which appears to be his wife Hom's. Here you check in/out, deal with any requests, questions etc.

*The restaurant food was very nice and cheap. The staff in the restaurant who were all very young, were brilliant. So polite and gracious. The order was always taken quickly and the food brought out fast in turn. I could honestly not speak more highly of them.

*This may sound like a petty critcism, but where you ate your food was where all the family hung out, including the owners. Sometimes when we'd go for meals, we'd feel a bit like we were intruding on famiily time... everyone would stop talking and we'd just sit silently eating our food. We almost felt like they couldn't wait for us to leave and go back to the room so they could carry on normality.

* As mentioned before there were no other guests staying during our visit, yet out room wasn't cleaned once. Not even to empty the bin, provide more toilet roll or change the towels, which given we were the only guests it wouldn't have taken too much time or hassle.

* The owner Angus (an Aussie) was a very nice guy and I couldn't fault him, he was friendly all the time and happy to help with any forward travel advice and tips. His wife Hom was a little frosty if I'm honest, perhaps her English wasn't very good, or perhaps there was something else going on in her life, but she was never very friendly and we often felt bad about asking for the shuttle into town - we were made to feel like we were putting her out, even though the hotel offered this service. One day we asked for the shuttle and she just stormed off to the car ahead of us, while we sheepishly followed along. It was all just a bit awkward.

* In all honesty the place just had a bit of a weird vibe. It did feel like you were staying on a family property, but not necessarily welcome to be there. I've read many of the other reviews who don't seem to have felt this way, so perhaps it's just me and my partner and we're more suited to busier hotels that are a little more professionally run, with more of an atmosphere. I also wondered whether perhaps they had let down their standard because of low season...

I've stayed in many other resorts/hotels in Thailand and accross the world & this is by no means special, which is my reason for the average rating. It's cheap, but not necessarily good value for money. We felt confinded to our room whenever we returned to the resort. Thankfully they do have good wifi.

I wouldn't say it's a bad place, not by any means and the people are very nice, which is why I am trying not to be too harsh... but not for me.

Oxnard
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. The rooms are clean, air conditioned and spacious. Angus and Hom, the owners, could not have been more helpful, the staff was gracious and accommodating. There is a beautiful pool and a great restaurant w/bar. The food was good and reasonable. If you stay for 3 nights there is a free pickup from the ferry, as well as free local transportation to all local attractions. There were also 4 scooters for rent at a very reasonable rate. The fact that they spoke English was such a treat and made making arrangements so much easier. There is access to computers on sight as well as WiFi in the rooms. An extensive video collection w/a DVD player in our rooms made evenings very pleasant.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

We had a wonderful time at Samui reef view resort the staff are courtious and very helpful and the owner Angus and his wife Hom very helpful and eager to assist with anything you are after such as tours money echange and advise about transport and what we should be paying to go from A to B so we did not get ripped off , he also runs a shuttle to Lamai during the hour of 10 AM and 8.30 PM daily which is great . We ate a lot of meals at the resort and could not falt the quality and choice of Thailand meals or western style food the service was 10 out of 10 from his staff Lynn, Joy and Thea. Have passed the detals of this resort to all my friends with our recomendation for a wonderful place to stay when visiting Koh Samui

Room Tip: all rooms are great
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

lovely quiet location just fifteen minutes from the main street... the room and bathroom were spacey, clean and very comfortable... but what made the stay special for me was the helpfulness of Angus, his wife and the staff there... warm, friendly and ready to help out with changes of plans and advice about other needs... another plus was the food - freshly cooked and tastefully spiced... the only drawback for me, which unfortunately is normal in this part of the world, was that the bathroom did not have wet and dry areas... i definitely will be staying there again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

We booked to stay for 3 days intending to move on to another island but enjoyed our time so much we stayed for a few more days. Angus and his wife couldnt have done more for us. Yes so it is a little way from the local beach but when a free shuttle is provided its not a problem. Alternatively Angus will arrange scooter hire at around £4 for 24hrs which we did & it meant we got to see so much of the island. The food is lovely & some of the cheapest we found in the area. The rooms are basic, but as described, bedroom with en suite. Shower water was always hot which in other hotels we werent always able to get. I would definitely return. Chiara & Scott

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

I had made a mistake with my booking and booked for the wrong month. Angus, the manager was incredibly helpful and found us a room anyway. He also gave us free lifts to the bigger beach down the road and some good advise on things to do/not do which was very helpful. The location is lovely for relaxing with a lovely beach a couple of minutes walk away with a couple of nice restaurents on the beach. The food at the resort was lovely too with books and DVDs availiable for borrowing.

I would definitely reccommend this resort and a big thank you to Angus.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Samui Reef View Resort? Share your experiences!