I'm a bit torn on what to write about this place... on the one hand I can't find any major faults to criticise (although there are some minor ones) and on the other hand, I was quite glad to leave... I can only justify this comment by saying, it's a nice place, but just wasn't the type of accomodation that suited our personalities.
To start with, when we stayed here we were the only guests for our full four days. My reason for mentioning this is that I think this is what led to our feelings of awkwardness and wanting to be moving on to our next destination. Had the place been buzzing with people, perhaps we would have rated differently, but I can only judge on the experience we had.
* The resort offered free collection from the ferry port which is both an excellent and vital service. The resort is up in the hills and I'd imagine would be hard to locate if the hotel weren't bringing you there.
* Likewise the hotel offer a free shuttle service down to Lamai Beach and they provide you with mobile phones so you can call them when you wish to return and they'll pick you up which is great. I believe they offer also motorbike hire, but we didn't utilise this facility. Again this is essential as you really can't walk anywhere from the resort. I think had we realised it was so out the way we wouldn't have booked. We like to be independent and felt a bit bad for relying on the owner's wife to ferry us about everywhere.
* The rooms are clean and tidy. Good air con, basic mini bar, dvd player and television. There was also a small balcony out front. In the main reception/restaurant area there is a big selection of dvds which is great. The bed however was rock solid and the shower although nicely hot, was not very powerful and sprayed all over the bathroom when used. There was also no safety deposit box in the room which is normally a deal breaker for us.
* The reception/restaurant/social area is all in one. There is a computer which the owner Angus uses as his main desk and another desk which appears to be his wife Hom's. Here you check in/out, deal with any requests, questions etc.
*The restaurant food was very nice and cheap. The staff in the restaurant who were all very young, were brilliant. So polite and gracious. The order was always taken quickly and the food brought out fast in turn. I could honestly not speak more highly of them.
*This may sound like a petty critcism, but where you ate your food was where all the family hung out, including the owners. Sometimes when we'd go for meals, we'd feel a bit like we were intruding on famiily time... everyone would stop talking and we'd just sit silently eating our food. We almost felt like they couldn't wait for us to leave and go back to the room so they could carry on normality.
* As mentioned before there were no other guests staying during our visit, yet out room wasn't cleaned once. Not even to empty the bin, provide more toilet roll or change the towels, which given we were the only guests it wouldn't have taken too much time or hassle.
* The owner Angus (an Aussie) was a very nice guy and I couldn't fault him, he was friendly all the time and happy to help with any forward travel advice and tips. His wife Hom was a little frosty if I'm honest, perhaps her English wasn't very good, or perhaps there was something else going on in her life, but she was never very friendly and we often felt bad about asking for the shuttle into town - we were made to feel like we were putting her out, even though the hotel offered this service. One day we asked for the shuttle and she just stormed off to the car ahead of us, while we sheepishly followed along. It was all just a bit awkward.
* In all honesty the place just had a bit of a weird vibe. It did feel like you were staying on a family property, but not necessarily welcome to be there. I've read many of the other reviews who don't seem to have felt this way, so perhaps it's just me and my partner and we're more suited to busier hotels that are a little more professionally run, with more of an atmosphere. I also wondered whether perhaps they had let down their standard because of low season...
I've stayed in many other resorts/hotels in Thailand and accross the world & this is by no means special, which is my reason for the average rating. It's cheap, but not necessarily good value for money. We felt confinded to our room whenever we returned to the resort. Thankfully they do have good wifi.
I wouldn't say it's a bad place, not by any means and the people are very nice, which is why I am trying not to be too harsh... but not for me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the foothills 4kms south of Lamai Beach is the picturesque Samui Reef View Resort where you can relax and enjoy your holiday. The resort boasts relaxing views of the Gulf of Thailand, the Reef of Hua Thanon and the surrounding mountains and jungle. Free Wi-Fi. Peaceful setting, modern resort, complimentary transfers with a stay of 3 nights or more. 24 hours notice is required for transfer service. The Resort was opened in May 2006 and has 14 rooms and a 2 bedroom self contained apartment, all complete with air-conditioning, mini bar facilities, cable television, DVD player, hot shower and free Wi-Fi internet access is available from all rooms.Our suites are spacious inside with a large outdoor terrace to enjoy the sea breeze and ocean views. All are equipped with queen-size or two single beds with posturepaedic mattresses, cable television combined with DVD player, refrigerator and air conditioning. The bathrooms are also spacious with their own hot water shower. The rooms are built around a 12m x 6m naturally chlorinated salt water swimming pool, 1.5m in depth with a .5m wading section for the little ones. Adjacent to the pool you will also find our restaurant and bar where you can enjoy a cool drink, game of pool or tempt your taste buds with a selection of European or Thai delicacies. A desktop computer is also available for internet use in the lobby or you can bring your own laptop and use the free Wi-Fi with ADSL (1.2mbps). Other Services:Free pick up from the Islands airport or ferry terminal for stays of 3 nights or longer, Motorbike & car hire at the resort, Laundry service, Shuttle service to Lamai, Free Wi-Fi. The open designed restaurant takes full benefit of the fresh sea breezes and views of the ocean. Open from 8am till 9.30pm. You can relax your days away here, hire a motorbike to travel around or take an organized tour of the many beautiful attractions on Samui, for example a trip to the waterfalls, elephant trekking through the jungle, a visit of the tiger zoo and aquarium or a trip to Big Buddha and many more...For those with energy to burn there are also a number of mountain walking trails with breathtaking views of the Lamai to Hua Thanon area. You can also take a stroll down to the tranquil shores of Ao Na Khai, a small bay inside the reef, only 400 meters from the resort. However this bay is not suitable for swimming, so take advantage of our free shuttle into Lamai Beach. Free transport for stays 3 nights or more, to and from the entry points of the island, airport/ferry terminals, 24hrs notice is required for this service. We also offer a free drop off service to Lamai Beach to enjoy the shopping or night life. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, Despegar.com, HostelBookers and Odigeo so you can book your Samui Reef View Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Samui Reef View Hotel Koh Samui
- Samui Reef View Koh
- Samui Reef View Resort Ko Samui/Maret