This is my 3rd trip to Thailand, my 2nd trip to Koh Samui. I want to try and make this review honest and balanced, but please remember it is a personal review. We stayed as a party of 4 for 16 nights, my parents had a delux ocean view and we stayed in pool villa.
Arrival,was as expected - cool drinks and towel given to us, followed by a stress free check in and a map of where our villa was.
The room was very basic and lacked the ambiance of our previous Thai experiences. There was no special little touches that we have experienced in the other thai hotels for example thai flowers or the bath filled with petals, there was no essential oil smells and no decorative towel arrangement's. Nothing in the room told us that we were in Thailand.
We had an abundance of wide life visitors over the 16 days including a snake, cockroaches, geckos and a dog. In fairness to the maintenance staff they got rid of them very quickly after a quick call to the reception and our room was sprayed daily with bug spray.
Our room was on the edge of the resort next to the forestry area with a beautiful view of the palm trees and different colored trees and as an added bonus a limited sea view. The external villa was decked with 2 sun beds (one which broke and the other hanging on with a thread). The pool was cleaned daily but I think it would be handy if the villa had pool nets available within the villa for early morning dips, occasionally we woke and felt like a dip but it had the remains of overnight bugs/flies etc which didn't make for an inviting dip.
we entered into the Baht Bonanza, ie we gave 10,000 baht and was given 15,000 to spend on food/drink/massage facilities at the hotel, but felt slightly pressured to agree to this as it needed to be organised within the first 24hrs, this didnt give us adequate time to assess our options outside of the hotel. there where at least 3 restaurants within walking distance (2 in the fishermans village and one further down by the minimart) which were cheaper than the hotel but as mentioned we didnt have time to discover this and what is not spent is kept by the hotel. In hindsight we shouldnt of entered in to this deal as it limited our experience to eat/drink elsewhere. that being said, if you are happy to stay at the resort than it is worth while -- but please note - the baht bonanza is not valid at the sister hotel!!
The food was nice but because we ate their 13 out of the 16 nights it became repetitive.
The staff cannot be faulted, they are friendly, fun and attentive.
The resort is remote but the island is easy accessible if your happy hiring a scooter otherwise you have to rely on taxis or hotel transport to the main shopping areas of lamai/chaweng/bophut.
In our opinion the resort has passed its sell by date and requires a much needed upgrade. It appears that the Centara group have put more money into the sister hotel in Chaweng and the centara villas feel like a poor relation.
Would we stay there again....................No, but if you want peace and quiet at a resort that is more 3 star than 4/5 star then I would recommend Centara Villas. However if you want a little piece of luxury and thai quality - try Anantara in Bophut or The Shore (Katathani) Phuket
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the southern tip of Koh Samui, near the traditional fishing village of Hua Tanon, is the Centara Villas Samui. With its own private frontage on Natien Beach., the resort villas cascade down a hillside to the fine white sand of the Gulf of Thailand. With the abundant green foliage the setting has a peaceful, natural tropical ambience.The resort is just 15 minutes by road to the night life areas of Lamai Beach, 30 minutes to Chaweng Beach, and 27 kilometers to Samui International Airport. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Agoda, HotelTravel.com, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Fastbooking, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Centara Villas Samui reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Centara Villas Samui Hotel Koh Samui
- Centara Hotel Koh Samui
- Centara Hotel Samui
- Central Samui Village
- Centara Villas Samui Ko Samui/Maret