“'Tigmified' a new word for relaxation” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tigmi

You added Tigmi to your Saves list
Tigmi
3.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Douar Tagadert el Kaldi | Km 24 Route d'Amizmiz, Oumnass, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Oumnass
Peterborough
“'Tigmified' a new word for relaxation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Our 5th stay in Tigmi and still nothing to dissuade us from going back for a 6th.....
Total peace, relaxation, wonderful food and truly wonderful staff.
We took my parents this time and Mum was visibly relaxed by the second morning (Dad loved it too !).
Thank you once again to Jean Paul and all our Tigmi friends and 'family'..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
East Northants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Jean Paul Lance (Manager) knows how to cater for every requirement.
3 and 1/3 hours from UK - Tigmi is the perfect way to unwind...Marrakech is great - but also too hot and busy in terms of staying in the City. This is RUSTIC sheek. Menu is traditional but QUALITY. Staff make you feel humble with their desire to please. You have to accept that this is a quiet, stunning escape.... We love it! There is nowhere else like this. It's worth emailing Tigmi direct for a deal.....

Room Tip: ASk if you can have Room 1 ....
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have just returned from a weekend at Tigmi and had the perfect break.

Upon arrival at Marrakech airport Jean Paul the manager had organised transfers for us, I’ve been let down so many times with transfers that I was a little worried, but it there was nothing to worry about our driver was waiting for us with a warm welcome. The transfer to Tigmi took about 20 minutes, one of the reasons I choose the hotel was its location; I wanted to be close enough to the city to visit but far enough away to escape.

Upon arrival we found the hotel to be situated in a old Berber Village which was just charming, Jean Paul and his team were waiting to greet us and quickly showed us to our lovely traditional Berber Room (Room 26), the room was large, very clean and had everything you would expect including a nice shinny air con unit (it was 49oC when we arrived). We quickly set off to explore the hotel grounds before settling by the pool for a little sunshine. The hotel has two pools and the water temp was regulated to keep it very cool and refreshing – it was perfect in the heat.

Travelling in low season to a small hotel can sometimes cause a little disappointment as when hotels are quiet not all facilities are available. As expected Tigmi was very quiet but the hotel made sure all facilities were available to us and every option on the restaurant menu was available.

We stayed on a half board basis and the breakfast selection was vast and dinner was very tasty traditional dishes – both were great quality. I spent a morning in the spa where I enjoyed a traditional Hammam and a massage, the lady in the spa (I have forgot her name) was fantastic and the value for money in the spa treatments is fantastic. We headed in to Marrakech for a morning and this was organised by Jean Paul, the hotel offers a free shuttle to the city but we wanted a taxi and a guide so he organised this for us – nothing was too much trouble for him. Thanks to the whole team at Tigmi for your first class hospitality!

It’s not a question of will I return to Tigmi, but how quickly can I return to Tigmi!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

This is a hotel decorated in a very basic way. The pool is lovely and the service very good. However the rooms are basic and I didn't feel it was clean when I was there (whether it was or not, I don't know, the rugs in the bedrooms felt a little grubby to me) Be warned however that it is a good 30 minutes to Marrakech in a car that is not air conditioned and this costs 25euro each way. The website mentions shuttles to the city however these are not at a time where you would be heading into Marrakech for the evening. These are hidden costs. Be aware.
I would not stay here again for those reasons.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I'm not sure I can even begin to put into words the beauty and serenity of this place. When our driver suddenly went off road and down a dirt track we wondered what on earth we were letting ourselves in for (!), but driving through the Berber village and arriving at Tigmi, we were just awestruck. Just 1/2 hour from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech, this is the ideal place to kick back and just chill. I travelled with a girlfriend for a long weekend to escape the husbands and kids, and a better place to do so, cannot imagine! Jean Paul and his fantastic team make you feel soooo welcome and nothing is too much trouble. The hotel is so quirky and full of nooks and crannies to explore and relax in. The freshly prepared food is truly scrumptious, as is the local wine;) The spa is just fabulous - highly recommend the hammam and a massage. Bliss! And the views? Breathtaking. Please do ask any questions you would like - I would be so happy to answer. I will most definitely be going back to Tigmi - but next time maybe for just a bit longer!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012

My mother and I have just returned from a 3 night stay in Tigmi - which means 'my house'. and it was just like staying in your own private house. The manager Jean Paul was very accommodating and helpful. All the staff were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. Tigmi is 30 minutes from 'La Place' and all the souks in Marrakech, and they provide a free shuttle bus 3 times a day. They also do a free transfer from the airport if you arrange it in advance. It is a small hotel, with only 24 rooms, however, there are so many secret areas and courtyards, rose gardens, hidden lounges, the feel is shabby and relaxed. I would recommend anyone who wants a complete break and relaxation to come to Tigmi. I will definately return, but next time, with my husband

Room Tip: number five, in Tigmi 1 is on 2 levels, and very private, although, all the rooms are spacious and l...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Gloucestershire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2012

As other reviewers have written, Tigmi is a very attractive hotel, rustic with lovely flowers everywhere and birdsong. Our room (Berber note a suite) was large and very attractive, and a good bathroom. It was also very calm and quiet, which we enjoyed, both in terms of location and the (few) other guests were quiet too. The service from the waiters was quiet, helpful and pleasant - but less so from the manager - see below.

However, the pool was cold - even though the website said it was heated, AND there was a heatwave of ~42 degrees, the pool was too cold to do more than a couple of laps and I could feel my lungs contracting painfully with the cold. I raised this with the manager, Jean-Paul who laughed, said the pool heating was turned off in May, and it felt fine to him (but never swam himself). Hmm. Pretty apalling response to a customer,and the heated pool was the main reason I picked the hotel as I had wanted to do lots of swimming.

The food was the other reason I cannot recommend this hotel. It was expensive for Morocco - £15 for a main course - and barely edible, especially the vegetarian food. On the last night I had a cheese sandwich for supper as it seemed to be the only vegetarian dish the chef could manage to execute reasonably. It was Moroccan food, which I was happy to eat and enjoyed elsewhere on our trip, but just badly cooked at Tigmi - couscous sodden, vegetables boiled until they were mush and had no flavour left. At another hotel in the middle of town, we could have just gone elsewhere to eat and enjoyed the lovely Tigmi setting, but because Tigmi is such a long way out of town, you are a bit trapped there in the evening (it is possible to get a taxi back in the evening, but it isn't cheap £40 round trip, and the heatwave meant we were very tired in the evenings). The breakfast was mostly ok - fruit salad, chapatis (which they called pancakes) and cake - except for one day when we were the only guests in the hotel, and they hadn't bothered to make the fruit salad and the 'pancakes' were stale from the day before. Again, I raised this with the manager (gently - I was not completely the guest from hell) who said he'd look into it, but heard nothing more.

If you DO go to Tigmi, some advice about the tours recommended and arranged (but not owned) by the hotel. We went on a tour of the historical sites and souks in Marrakech - it was great to be driven between sites in the 42 degree heat, and to have someone show us around the confusing web of streets in the Medina, but if you want to know anything about the historical sites, you need a guide book - our guide Aziz (apparently the best known guide in Marrakech) didn't tell us much about what he was pointing us at. Also, you need to be very assertive about not spending ages in his friends' carpet and spice shops - all the guides get commission on anything you spend there. And lastly, if you suggest stopping for a drink and snack as we did - specify that you aren't looking for a £50 a head meal at a posh tourist restaurant (unless you are).

We also went on a tour into the mountains, again organised by Tigmi. There is a 4 wheel drive option - more expensive than a regular taxi - which we took as it had air conditioning. There was probably more driving than we had expected, but it was very beautiful and a very restful way to spend the day. We also saw more of 'real' Morocco - farming communities who have nothing to do with the tourists. Our driver - whose name I cannot remember - was younger and less complacent than the city guide, and full of very interesting info about Moroccan society and what we were seeing, such as explaining micro finance arrangements for women's farming cooperatives.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tigmi? Share your experiences!