“I wanted to be amazed, but I was disappointed..” 3 of 5 stars

Shems Moon Suites & Spa
4.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   Amizmiz Road Km 23, Oumnass 40000, Morocco   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Oumnass B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“I wanted to be amazed, but I was disappointed..”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I recently spent 5 nights at Shems Moon - and while the actual building and location is superb including amazing views of the atlas mountains, I just couldn't help feeling disappointed. This is the first "average" review I have written, so I am not someone who is unreasonably fussy.

I think their website needs changing - there is no "24 hour concierge service", my room had no minibar or wifi, and no bath - there was wifi in the main building (there might well be wifi within the rooms in the main building). The website state they accept credit cards, but on arrival I was told they "prefer cash" and could I go into Marrakech especially, in the end I paid with my card. There was no welcome drink, and the biggest let down was that I had booked a massage for my birthday only to turn up in the evening for it to be told "oh, they can't do it today, but I forgot to tell you" - yes, they could have done it the day after, but I didn't want one then. Oh and asking for a water and receiving it an hour later. Also, sometimes the main area was in pitch black and I had to sit around waiting for the staff to turn up. The food was lovely though although somewhat limited, lunch and dinner had to be prebooked and there was no option of having food outside of these hours, even a shop on site selling ice creams/snacks would improve this. Overall I would describe Shems Moon as a guesthouse, not a hotel..

My room was cleaned twice during my stay, I had to ask for more toilet roll, and mineral water was left in the room, but only on arrival not each time they cleaned. I also didn't witness an "afternoon tea" in the main lounge, but perhaps I just missed it. I was able to have a late check out which was a good thing, so thank you for that.

It is a shame as the owners have a fabulous property and location, I just think it needs running a little bit better and then I really think it could be something special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We spent 5 wonderful nights at Shem's Moon in February 2012. Shem's Moon is situated roughly 12 miles away from the hustle and bustle of Marrakech, and the place was amazingly quiet in February, which was extremely relaxing. The suite was spacious with a fantastic view over the Atlas mountains and the full moon that welcomed us as we arrived, and was tastefully decorated. But the most amazing aspect was the service: Leila and Rashid's advice and help booking excursions (the guides they work with are highly recommended) was invaluable; Samir was unforgettable making sure every moment of our stay was comfortable. Samir also gave us a cooking lesson, and we now use his Berber chicken recipe once a week. (The kitchen was also spotless) We used the spa and had a couple's massage: the spa was also clean and the masseuse very good and professional. Contrary to what a few other comments mentioned, we always had more than enough for breakfast, and always had a choice of dishes for the other meals. And the wine list was also most agreeable. So... a big thank you to Leila and Rashid for the unforgettable stay. Your welcome, your advice and the entire staff turned this trip into a dream come true. And a huge thank you to Samir - we regularly think of you each and every time we prepare a Berber lemon chicken according to his recipe - forhis devotion, his knowledge and his professionalism.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Mohammedia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

We were supposed to spend the weekend but we couldn't leave and we extended our stay.
When you drive in this road, you never expect to find this amazing treasure. Every thing in this place has a unique touch. The lobby, the bar, the restaurant give you a warm and exclusive welcome. When you go to your suite, the furniture, the design and the deco is just PERFECT, I love the typical tadellaket made bath in side the room.
If you want to swim, a wonderful swiming pool, "15th century Arab design"
What you hear is just birds, and just silence.
And now when meet the managers, they really have made every thing easy to make wonderful stay for us. During these days, we had the feeling of being a family. Very sympathic, and warm welcom from Laila and Rachid.
This weekend was one of our best holidays, and cannot wait to come back after Ramadan::
Thanks

Room Tip: We were staying at suite Shems in front of the swimming pool. But all the suites are unique and beau...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
gold coast australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Shems Moon is an unexpected piece of paradise. We have just spent 9 glorious days relaxing in a peaceful and welcome atmosphere. We were greeted by the owner Leila who served served us tea and showed us to our room which was excellent but because of my disability took us to one of their beautifully furnishished suites to be closer to all facilities. The riad throughout is beautifully furnished to a 5 star standard..The chef cooked each day a sample of an excellent Morrocan cuisine, the local wines were high quality as though they came from the owners private cellar.Nothing was to much trouble and our holiday was spent relaxing around their magnificent pool.
Spending so much time at Shems Moon we found that a car would have been useful as the trips were expensive.It was a pleasure to stay in a Morrocan owned and run resort.

Room Tip: All rooms are excellent depending on your pocket
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Hello,

My husband and I went to Shemsmoon with my 6 years old kid for a weekend. We live in Canada and decided for the school holiday to go to a sunny weather for a week.We were greeted with a tea and Moroccan pastries ( they tasted delicious, good bye to the diet). Our room was decorated with taste and we had the view on the swimming pool.Regarding the menu, we had a few choices but the greatest thing was that you were able to ask for a dish in advance if it was not in the menu. The price was not excessive compared to the huge quantity (for our small stomachs) :). The staff made our stay and even proposed to take care of Adam while my husband and I were relaxing in the big Swimming Pool. The owner Laila gave us some advice about where to go in the city and even proposed us to visit the village near the hotel. There even took a tea with the inhabitant there who kind fully proposed us to look at his traditional home and even took pictures. For my last day, I took a massage at the hotel's spa as well as my husband and even my kid had a free small massage. He was more than happy haha. The Spa was very and the Hammam very intimate. If you want to relax this is definitely the place, a small piece of heaven far from the noise of the industry.
Thanks to Laila an Rachid, the owners for their kindness and for making us feel like home. See you next vacations.
PS: a small problem with the air con that made weird noises when opening it.

Room Tip: The suite "Shems" is amazing
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Marrakech, Morocco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2011

I've been there and spent one one the best weekends ever. I was there with my two kids and my wife and we had a really great time.the owners are so kind and welcoming. It was our first time in Marrakech. I highly recommand this place if you just want to relax and forget all your troubles :)
The food is soooo good, I've never had such a great tajine of all my life!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

Shems moon certainly lived up to our expectations. Beautifully decorated and the service was first class. The prices for the spa are very reasonable and the spa itself is again beautifully decorated and relaxing. The food and wines were of excellent quality and very delicious. Shems moon is away from the hustle and bustle which is one of its best qualities. The owner will arrange a taxi at a reasonable rate to transport you wherever you like! We even went on an excursion to Vallée de l'Ourika and were kindly given a tour of a local pottery business and a Berber house on the way. Amazing holiday. Thanks to all at Shems moon!

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are beautiful but if you would like some extra added class go for the suites
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Shems Moon Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!